Mecury's Shadow Period

SirTarquin

Mercury's Pre and Post-Shadow periods are almost always included in its retrograde cycle reports but never really properly discussed. Do the same rules of thumb apply during these periods as they do during the actual retrograde. For instance, the advice is not to purchase anything, especially not internationally, during the retrograde period. Does this same rule apply to the post-shadow period as well? I would imagine if this were so it would be very difficult to accomplish anything as we are in some form of the retrograde cycle (pre and post shadow included) for about 50% of the year.

Edit: Also, what about the Post-Shadow Intensified period, the 4 or 5 days after retrograde, specifically? Do the same rules apply more or less to that period in contrast to the rest of the Post-Shadow period?

For reference, there is something I have wanted to purchase from an international for months (or really years), but by the point I was finally ready to make the purchase we were in the middle of this past, particularly volatile retrograde. Now that it's over, I'm trying to determine if it's safe to go forward with the purchase, wait until after the Post-Shadow Intensified, or the entire Post-Shadow period.

Last edited:

greybeard

The San Francisco astrologer who did the Reagan Reykjavik Treaty-signing Election said "Do it" the moment Mercury attained direct motion.

With a little work you can re-create that election chart and study it for yourself. Just cast a chart for the actual moment of signing that treaty at Reykjavik.

Remember, this is an election for the signing of a nuclear treaty. You'd better get it right the first time.

Last edited:

SirTarquin

I greatly apologize for my ignorance, but I am very uncertain of the meaning of the last reply as it relates to the original question. I quickly looked up the Reykjavik Treaty, but am having trouble seeing what stance it's taking in regards to an answer.

Osamenor

Staff member
I greatly apologize for my ignorance, but I am very uncertain of the meaning of the last reply as it relates to the original question. I quickly looked up the Reykjavik Treaty, but am having trouble seeing what stance it's taking in regards to an answer.

Back when Ronald Reagan was president of the U.S., he regularly consulted an astrologer, especially for timing his actions. She told him to sign the Reykjavik Treaty when Mercury went direct. She considered that a good time for signing the treaty. And it must have been, because the end result was no nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia. At least, not so far.

Mercury had just stationed direct. It was still in post retrograde shadow. If that was astrologically a good time for treaty signing, then no, the Mercury retrograde cautions don't apply.

Edited to add: I became a moderator of this forum when Mercury had just stationed direct. I'm still here and actively moderating, after two years. This is a forum that's had a very hard time keeping moderators.

Last edited:

greybeard

The point is...in the Reykjavik election we have the actual work of a highly skilled professional to teach us. And that her work was done skillfully is patent in the fact that the treaty still stands.

So the election was set for the very moment Mercury acquired direct motion.

There is your question answered. By a highly skilled professional who knows what she's doing. It don't get no better than that.

If you don't understand then study that chart until you do.

SirTarquin

That does make much more since, thank you. I read a lot of conflicting opinions on the Reykjavik Treaty so I was unsure as to what stance the comment was taking. I apologize again for knowing very little about that subject in history. I'm young, so I wasn't born until immediately after that incident and it wasn't particularly covered very extensively in school to where I remember it.

Oddity

Getting all technical here, it's not a 'shadow period'.

What happens is that before Mercury turns retrograde, it slows right down in orbital speed, and almost stops for a day or so. The same thing happens when it goes direct, and it'll continue to be slow for a month or so afterwards.

Most of the time you won't notice the slows much, but the couple of days before and after when it doesn't appear to be moving at all can sometimes emphasise Mercurial matters.

Generally, though - Mercury rx - not a big deal.

wilsontc

Staff member
Post-Shadow Period, to Tarquin

Tarquin,

You said:
...what about the Post-Shadow Intensified period, the 4 or 5 days after retrograde, specifically? Do the same rules apply more or less to that period in contrast to the rest of the Post-Shadow period?

Instead of focusing on confusing names, it helps to understand what is happening with Mercury. Mercury appears to slow, stop, move backwards, then again, slow, stop, and start moving forward again. Oddity is focusing more on the time when Mercury is stopping and saying that can be similar in effect to the time when Mercury is moving backwards.

Both times when Mercury is slowing while still moving forward are called the "Shadow Periods", the time when Mercury stops are called the "Stationary" periods, and the time when Mercury is moving backwards is called "Mercury retrograde". The most prolonged challenging time is the "Mercury retrograde" period, when Mercury is actually moving backwards, but some astrologers also focus on the two periods when Mercury is still moving forwards, but slowly and these astrologers say that there is some sort of challenging effect on these times as well. After the second Shadow Period is over, Mercury is fully moving forward (direct) again at its regular speed.

There is no "Post-Shadow Period" because after the second Shadow Period is over, Mercury is fully direct.

Explaining,

Tim

[edited per greybread's comment below]

Last edited:

greybeard

If a planet is stationary, its effects are lasting...it is standing in a single degree pouring its influences into that degree and aspected planets over an unusually long period of time. So stationary is stronger, longer lasting, deeper and similar ideas. A final decision has been made.