Personal asteroids and their meanings

ElenaJ

I've just started looking into this myself, and it seems to be valid, although there were links that for me didn't work. Have you tried entering your own name in your chart?

waybread

Not everyone has a namesake asteroid, but for people who do, I think they have meaning. You can also use cognate names in other languages. For example, Maria, Mary, Mari, Marija....

Where I think they are useful is in synastry. See where each other's name asteroid falls in the other person's chart. For example, my husband's namesake asteroid (in German, not our native English language) conjuncts my sun. In traditional astrology the sun in a woman's chart indicates her husband, so I found that pretty cosmic. Asteroid Hillary conjuncts Bill Clinton's moon.

ElenaJ

Do you then use only one of your names, or is it possibile that different variants of your name can be valid, touching critical points in the charts of persons who have been important in your life?

waybread

Elena, I actually have a namesake asteroid, with the same spelling as my given name. But in looking at the charts of people I know, I was getting some good results by using the cognate name in another language, when the English-language version of the name didn't have an asteroid named for it.

Thinking of your forum name, Elena might be Helen, Helena, Eleanor, Ellen, &c.

I don't think much research has been done on these asteroids. (Does anybody know of some?) So I would recommend just spending time with them and seeing what works.

ElenaJ

Yes, I tried different variations on my name, and then inserted them into the charts of two important persons for me.
I don't want to get lost here in details, but to give you an idea, I used 6 variations of my name:
- first husband's chart has one of these conjunct his Venus/mars, another conjunct his sun, another conjunct his moon, another conjunct his Neptune. (he matches up with 4 of the 6 name variations).
- second and current husband's chart has one of the variations conjunct his Venus, one conjunct his sun, one conjunct his moon. (again, three variations link with his chart).
- an important person from the past, has one variation of my name on his natal Venus, but another one conjunct his name when I do a synastry chart.
I can't eliminate any of the variations because they are not all one of them making these links, but involving all six.
So what do I make of this? Is this useful?
I also did some comparisons on charts of married couples I know, where I came up with only one link in one of the charts. I also tried some charts of famous persons, for example Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner, no links I could find.
So, is this all just spending energy doing silly work, or does this have some meaning?
I did see a video with the Bill Clinton links with all his women, and Prince Charles with Camilla and Diana, which is all mesmerising and fun.
So it seems sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.
Or does this mean that where there is no link these couples are somehow mis-matched?
I really don't know what importance to give to this, or how to evaluate it. Any insight?

waybread

I can't say whether this is "silly work" or not. Your name is one that shows up in 6 different languages, but I don't think that's so common. In synastry, I think name asteroids can show a connection. I don't think they deny a relationship, and I would always suggest looking at the planets before looking at the asteroids.

Sometimes the asteroids work in other contexts. For example, Richard Dawkins is a highly respected evolutionary biologist, but also a controversial figure for taking a hard atheist stand. The asteroid "Darwin" conjuncts his sun.