Confused: Should I stick with the new or old apartment?

LostinPhilly

Hi all,

Hope all is well.

I know I posted quite a few threads in this regard, but I have to say I am quite confused about this whole situation.

To give you some background:

I have been living in a shared apartment for the last 4 years. The first three years were fine, then it all went downhill from there. We got a new roommate in July and I don't like her at all. She's rude and downright oblivious to social cues. She's the type to ignore you, not greet you, not inform you she's having her boyfriend over multiple times a week during a lockdown but will ask you about whether she can use the washing machine when it's clearly empty. Her presence only drains me. There is a third tenant and we used to get along, but I detached from him a few months ago. I'm just fed up of living with them.

Fast forward, the new roommate invited the boyfriend over a month ago and they basically kicked me out of the living area as I was having dinner on a Saturday night. I got annoyed and started looking for a new place again.

I found an apartment in a Georgian building. It is clean, seemingly secure and in a nice area. The landlord seemed nice as well. This is a one bedroom, so it was fine. I signed a lease a month ago and have had issues finding a replacement for my shared apartment bedroom. The new girl has set forth unreasonable criteria based on age, race and gender. Any suitable tenant was rejected. We are undergoing a change of agent for the new apartment and they don't want to get involved in the replacement search process, making it harder to deal with especially with the holidays around the corner. The new agency seems a bit cut-throat.

In parallel to this, I'm starting to second guess the new apartment I found due to various factors: 1) The Georgian house looks exactly like my parents house and the apartment follows the exact same configuration as my childhood floor (I had a floor to myself), which gives me severe anxiety when I think of it. 2) The landlord is nice, but expects me to put the whole building's trash out when he's not around - not on the lease, he's just been texting me on Sunday evenings about this 3) There is a severe light of lightening which I had not noticed when I viewed the place. I currently live in a modern gated complex with floor to ceiling windows, 2 minutes away from my office (but yes, I don't like who I'm living with).

To be honest, I'm torn between staying at my current place and suffer another few months with the girl or move on entirely knowing she has made the tenant search process a real hassle and I will be paying double-rent again in January (taking quite a hit on my finances). I'm seriously confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: