Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 07-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

Do not make things up.

Do not make up astrological rules such as Mercury is in fall in LEO?? Not Pisces.

please refer to Bennefranco and Tennis sports predictions 2nd page.

Some body needs to clean this mess out of astrology it is a BIG BIG DONT

Unread 07-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Re: Do not make things up.

Quote:
Do not make up astrological rules such as Mercury is in fall in LEO?? Not Pisces.
please refer to Bennefranco and Tennis sports predictions 2nd page.
Some body needs to clean this mess out of astrology it is a BIG BIG DONT
Sorry, but simply going by the above text (as I haven't yet read the mentioned thread), I don't take this as a 'DON'T' at all, for two reasons:

1) Tradtionally Mercury is both in dignity (besides in Gemini) and exaltation in Virgo, which puts it in both detriment and fall in Pisces. However, as per most modern-school astrologers, Mercury is said to be in exaltation in Aquarius(), which puts it in fall in the opposite sign of Leo. Now, one can, as has often been the case on this forum, start a debate out re traditional vs modern, which often ends in a stalemate.

2) This forum is for people of all astrological levels and welcomes opinions/knowledge, which will not always be 'by the book'. The aim is to come here and learn, ask plus answer questions, have a healthy astrological dialogue and share your experiences.

So, a BIG DON'T is that, whilst you may make your own point or even debate one that has been made by someone else, DO NOT be judgemental towards others or of their point of view.

AQ7
Unread 07-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Re: Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

Keep in mind that an interpretation is an interpretation!

Don't focus on it so much that you try to make your life fit the interpretation that you read in your chart. Because the same chart, another astrologer will read and interpret differently!
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:21 PM

I always believed the biggest don't is Don't predict death.

On a related notes there are transits where you do tell someone to be careful about their health or sudden accidents and those are grey area ...
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:21 PM

Thx, Radu....very excellent reminders of what astrology is and is not.
Unread 08-13-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Good thread title, I like it as well...

I can't figure out 10 such don'ts. Instead, I'm going to rely on your help to find them!

I start:

When talking to an astrologer friend, never try to convince him/her about anything by bringing up your natal chart details, such as "I say this because my rising sign is Sagittarius and that means that I like fair play". It never works, only generates a reply like "Yes, but me too, I have..." and then you feel sorry you brought that up.

Ok, your turn!
Well Sagittarius rising doesn't indicate fair play as such, that belongs to Libra.

The ruling planet and its aspects determine the persona or the personality that is presented especially at first.

Yes it is a common thing to quote your chart for the way you are when really the way you are is the chart, not the other way around.
Unread 08-14-2010, 02:18 AM

-----------------------

'...Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.' Shakespeare.

Last edited by ImNotThere9; 02-24-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Unread 08-14-2010, 02:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to piscesnurse

lily i love this judge the chart not the client

Men Traveling A Narrow Path, Seeking Illumination
10 DEGREES PISCES SABIAN
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Do not blame planets for your life situation.

Planets do not cause anything in your life - they just show what is going on.

Chart does not do anything on it's own - you have to do your own share.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebenia For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Good one, thank you EJ! It's so easy to slip into that kind of reasoning: this always HAPPENS TO ME, because I have this or that in my birth chart. How lame!
Dont worry. I did that when I first began..... and it is valid to a point but we need to watch becoming victims or feeling powerless.....What we do with our aspects is largely up to us and our level of evolvement. The hard ones are the most valuable as they promote growth and strength.
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Out Orange View Post
I always believed the biggest don't is Don't predict death.

On a related notes there are transits where you do tell someone to be careful about their health or sudden accidents and those are grey area ...
I totally agree and we cant always be absolutely certain of it as there are many scenarios and the flowing aspects can also indicate demise. It is immoral and unethical to mention this subject and even if hard pressed by a client would avoid it.

Giving warnings of tricky aspects is the way to go. Some things can be avoided and some are fated....
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Keep in mind that an interpretation is an interpretation!

Don't focus on it so much that you try to make your life fit the interpretation that you read in your chart. Because the same chart, another astrologer will read and interpret differently!
Yes this is common. But a good astrologer will agree largely with another good astrologer as to the trends....we all have our own way of looking at a chart but the basic principles remain the same.
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=EJ53;147878]Never use astrology to avoid taking responsibility for your faults....../[QUOTE]

Okey I for one shouldn't even be here then

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/.../fullchart.gif
Unread 08-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned

Never think that the Planets are your enemies and that they want to hurt you. Remember to dance with the music of the spheres and with your willpower and determination let their influence in your life be as much as positive. In other words, don't be a fatalist!

This is my "don't in Astrology'...
The Following User Says Thank You to IleMacedonia For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 08-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Know your glyphs. I just totally messed up an interpretation because I thought Jupiter was Saturn.
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej53 View Post
never use astrology to avoid taking responsibility for your faults......if others find you agressive, it's due to you behaving aggressively rather than because you have a pluto/mars/uranus/asc conjunction.....use astrology to identify and change your inappropriate behaviour rather than to explain or justify it.

i love this!

Unread 09-08-2010, 01:30 AM

Smile Re: Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

I really like all of these thoughtful tidbits of wisdom. I have never thought about most of these before. Thanks everyone.
Unread 10-26-2010, 04:27 AM

Nice thread!

When I research different sites for chart interpretations I see many times that in interpreting so-called negative aspects, astrologers tend to make finalized statements. For example: "This is a difficult aspect for fostering an out-of-control temper. Be aware of this very unappealing potential."

Astrology is a TEACHING TOOL.

The planetary influences aren't set in stone. We're not doomed in life if we have negative aspects in our charts. Astrology is meant to show us our potentials and our opportunity for growth in life—which usually shows up as difficult aspects in our charts—and is meant to guide us in moving past our obstacles.

Astrology should be interpreted in a way that teaches us how to overcome our difficulties when we are presented with negative aspects in our charts.
If you're telling your clients that their particular planetary aspect has an unappealing potential, instead of ending it there, show them how they can overcome the negative influence and move past their obstacles so that they can grow as a person.
FiliaVeneris (07-17-2018), MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:06 AM

Do not forget that we as humans have such thing as Free Will.

Unread 11-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Never form a conviction of someone as contemptible or otherwise on the grounds of their chart configuration alone, which is an erroneous action.
- ImNotThere9

isn't that just OUTRIGHT annoying!!!!??
there are Senior members in here with over 1000 posts that are FAMOUS for this!

Never try to disprove someone on the count of your experience!!!
your experience is a twinkle on the grand scale of this craft if you're using it to pick people apart. Being an astrologer for 30 years and not knowing how to "feel" anything makes you a "titlist". Astrology in this era isn't a couple of degrees, angles and planets that make connections so you can assemble a theory using logic alone. There is a deep dark world of knowledge, one that shows itself according to how ready the student is.
..Her hands feel the embrace of heavy tools, red cloth wraps her wet body, she's changing. her hair curves out into thick locks. her tear-shaped breasts now armoured, body fit. Aware of her quick perception as eagles pass on the vast plains, her breathing deepens. Feet stabilize, muscles tighten, head tilted forward. Fire fills dreamy Luna's heart, sharpening her senses. Now enriched by her freedom to act again, she turns away from the water "the answers are here, i'll have to fight for them.."
The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastien Cheritte For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 11-25-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
rigourous logic.
besides your spelling error, I can only agree with one point you make, but just to a point and no further.
Astrology has no credit. True. but not because those who are now enjoying the colorful variations of interpretation after almost no study in a university at all, because that's called self-knowledge, and freedom to be flexible, but because it's a study beyond the mind, and beyond logic and there where matters become 'felt', is no longer the traditional nor modern study of astrology, but a new integration of the understanding of universal energy.

Never use logic alone
..Her hands feel the embrace of heavy tools, red cloth wraps her wet body, she's changing. her hair curves out into thick locks. her tear-shaped breasts now armoured, body fit. Aware of her quick perception as eagles pass on the vast plains, her breathing deepens. Feet stabilize, muscles tighten, head tilted forward. Fire fills dreamy Luna's heart, sharpening her senses. Now enriched by her freedom to act again, she turns away from the water "the answers are here, i'll have to fight for them.."

Last edited by Sebastien Cheritte; 11-25-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: additionally...
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:18 PM

The anti-intellectualist movement is popular because it makes it easier for one to claim to be an astrologer. It's really disdainful, no offense, to see people who claim to be astrologers for decades or claim to be professionals and have no idea how to work with traditional MOST important concepts such as dignity/debility; reception, etc; which completely changes the meanings of aspects !

Astrology has always been an intellectual science that the greatest of ancient minds practiced; and the need for such intellectual prowess is the reason why it, astrology, has been ascribed to Mercury. So people who harp on those who use logic as if its something cold to do--that's how it's meant to be practiced, and has been for thousands of years. Like a science you approach it from a logical standpoint to get the BEST answers. If you don't, astrology has NO credibility and is why it has the frivolous reputation it has these days. Intuition has never been a principle of what it is to be an astrologer because we are supposed to let the planets do the speaking, not ourselves!

And no, this opinion has nothing to do with my personal 'approach'. Regardless if you're a Pisces, or Capricorn, if you don't have any logic to base your reasoning on, then what are you actually trying to prove and how can you prove it?

“Famous are those persons in whose Nativities the Moon receives the light of many Planets.”
—Cardanus.
The Following User Says Thank You to RayAustin For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 11-25-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
if you do not have a firm foundation in the logic and philosophy of astrology, you're not going to understand it.
There's about 5,000 people on this forum who might benefit by writing that statement 100,000 times.

Quote:
If it were possible to 'intuit' a chart, then all those maths wouldn't be necessary. I grant that when you know the concepts well enough sometimes you 'get' something from a chart before your conscious mind is quite aware of how you get it, but you'll still find it in the chart if you look. And if you don't - then your intuition is worthless.
That isn't intuition, that is rote learning.

After reading a few thousand charts you begin to see patterns, signatures and themes based on Planet placement, aspects and Signs. That isn't intuition, that is training and experience. That is why Lily (and others) said you should write out your judgments, because that's the fastest and best way to learn, since writing reinforces what you see.

Quote:
I've really wondered about the anti-intellectualist movement in astrology over the past some decades, and I don't understand why it's so prominent. Yet - it is.
That's the generational Planets talking. It's more prominent in the US, but people in other countries can be affected, too. They are into expediency and taking short-cuts and they have no time and don't want to be bothered learning craft or "paying dues" or "putting in the time." They want everything handed to them on a silver platter and they are constantly in search of the "Magic Silver Bullet Formula."

You see that all the time, especially on this forum.

People ask about the promise of marriage in a natal chart, you explain the Houses, Signs and Planets involved, and then they start frothing and foaming at the mouth, "What? You mean I actually really have to spend an hour of my time looking at the chart and I have to interpret the Planets, Signs and Houses involved?

Um, yeah, that's exactly what you have to do, so you better get started.

My favorite is, "I know the names of the most of the Planets, now I want to learn Horary."

Yeah, right, that's like someone who just learned how to count from 1 to 10 asking to learn differential calculus. Then they get offended because they don't like your interpretation: "But my significator is trine." Yes, and it's also Cadent, Retrograde, Peregrine, in Detriment, in a Welled Degree and not received (and of course they have no idea what you're talking about because they still don't know the difference between a Cadent House and an Angular House).

Quote:
Astrology is a lifetime study, and then some.
Of course. Even if you specialize or concentrate in one area of astrology, there's always something new to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0rnholio
Do not forget that we as humans have such thing as Free Will.
Well, no, actually you don't. You have limited Free Will. You can choose what to eat for breakfast or dinner, and a few other banal, trivial and inconsequential things, but that's about it. Your life is predetermined.

When the end is known, you will have done everything the Planets said you would (or would not) do exactly for the reasons the Planets divined, and the Primary Directions, Profections, Secondary Progressions and Transits will bear that out and prove it beyond any doubt.

If that was not true, then there would be no point in studying astrology.
Addressing his pupil, Satyacharya said, "The science of Astrology is a great secret. It should be guarded with care. This sacred science of Astrology should never be taught to bad people. Nor should it be revealed to too many people and very frequently. It should be taught only to a few chosen disciples who really deserve and have the necessary qualifications."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobZemco For This Useful Post:
Chiomara (03-24-2013), MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:19 PM

Imagine having to argue (using words) with every intellectual snob (Hermes is smiling) about the proportions (logic) of astrology (???) and it's purpose.

That's taking into consideration that not everyone is a scribe (so there will be a variation in the argument, some will even be illogical, some will be creative and some will be intuitive) not everyone is a wordsmith (so there will be words used as means to twist the context while creating many degrees of the same truth) and not everyone is of the fabric of intelligence the majority of these snobs choose to draw from one tiny little planet, having all forgotten the essence of the minor is only made revolutionary in the major, not before - otherwise its just recycling information.

This simply means Mercury runs everything, until further notice - and it never comes.
So 'quick' he truly absorbs nothing.

Talking about paying dues or taking short cuts Bob. Not everyone on this planet is a work horse, or has to be - not for study or otherwise, but granted that most of us have to, those of us who don't will immediately become victims of accusations about our level of intelligence or the validity of our wisdom based on majority vote. Intelligence my friends, isn't measured only by 'study' or years of education, and massive influx of information in script form or calculus, endless testing or experimentation. No. Intelligence is something far brighter, more simple and a lot less boring!!
but then again, when you leave the empirical populous to its devices, no one is ever enough, and everything is always complicated! IMO
That which is little must be made more - (isn't that how capitalism started? similarly to those 'intellectuals' having to own words).
That only disobeys the laws of nature.
And might I remind you all, that the years when astrology was still at the gates of the next era, there was much to be discarded before moving along, that's why most information was done away with! And much more to be learned inside before there could be a manifestation of harmony; thus astrology is the study of what's inside, through an interest in the outside, yet it's become tainted by you lot and the pressing need to be right!
Anyway, I can't expect any of you 1000 and more posts to listen, the ego in this room is far more massive than the big brains will allow any of you to see, that is why there is need for a list of do's and don't anyway.

My addition to this list was one of compassion.

Speaking of compassion...

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastien Cheritte For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
And might I remind you all, that the years when astrology was still at the gates of the next era, there was much to be discarded before moving along, that's why most information was done away with!
Quote:
Are you familiar with all this material that you're willing to throw away? With any of it besides perhaps a bad paraphrase or three you've read somewhere about the bad old days? Do your clients ask you different questions now? Are they no longer concerned with things like love, and career, and family, and health?

Exactly! It's not arrogant to feel superior to the old ways that they need to be thrown out? I have a lot of contempt for those who don't appreciate the origins and traditions of astrology, who feel things have changed so much that we can just 're-write astrology' and throw things out.

Who and what gets to decide what gets to be thrown out, and do they even have any comprehension of it? No they don't. Old texts are still being discovered. That's far more arrogant; and lots of dead astrologers are rolling in their grave right now.

In summary.. don't try to rewrite astrology without having respect for the tradition.

“Famous are those persons in whose Nativities the Moon receives the light of many Planets.”
—Cardanus.
The Following User Says Thank You to RayAustin For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)

Tags
astrology, donts