What planet as natural signifier of children?

muchacho

Nowadays you would call it vibration or resonance or frequency. It's basically Law of Attraction, like attracts like. If you understand that concept, you'll understand rulerships a lot better. Things of the same vibrational essence will be matched up together and in astrology terms will have the same ruler.

Just as an example, lets take Venus. Venus rules art, beauty, pleasure, peace, plenty and luxury, politeness, gracefulness - quite a lot of rather different things. But seen from a signature point of view, from a vibrational, energy point of view, it's in essence all the same, it's all connected to the central idea of harmony and balance.

That's essentially the challenge as a student of astrology, you have to grasp the central concept behind those rulerships. Once you've got it, it's a piece of cake. Then you don't even need a rulership book anymore. And in the classic books of astrology, you usually won't find long lists of rulerships anyway. They just give you a couple of central ideas because they know if you understand those, you can figure out the rest on your own.

Dirius

I'm not willing to start any argument as well. I just answered to this post in the first place because I'm interested in Astrology. I've studied traditional rulers and I've never read of Jupiter having anything to do with children, directly. Every planet can have multiple meanings, sure, but saying the Sun symbolizes money or that the Moon symbolizes pets because hunting was done during night time (I'm making up random examples), would be just as inaccurate.

If we study tradition, as I'm willing to do, despite I might pop out saying " Pluto or Planet X" sometimes, we have to take into account that it's not "the Word".

If it was the "word" it wouldn't have changed, but instead it did, because of those very misinterpretations some people were willing to note. Sorry for noting them. Uh. And thanks for not answering me ;- )

This section works by basing arguments on ancient sources and the interpretations that may derive from them.

Its ok to question those sources from time to time (ancient astrologers contradict each other in almost every book), because many of the precepts are not entirely specific, but it is usually done so by basing the argument on the traditional framework, not the modern one.

Dirius

I don't have any framework applied here right now, but that of tradition. I answered the first time questioning Jupiter, since I never heard of it mentioned with that purpose, and saying that if we used Jupiter we could have as well used Saturn and Uranus to describe kids. That got deleted.

Moon and Mercury are associated to childhood in tradition too, I don't get why that's rude for someone.

The whole analysis of a chart will tell us about any particular situation, that's pretty obvious. But we need a symbol to be the specific object of our attention, in the end of all these disquisitions. It will be influenced by all the other objects but it can't be all those other objects as well. That would be a mess!

Whats rude, which in turn was the reason your posts got deleted, was your constant mention of outer planets. They are not recognised in this section.

I know it sounds very dictatorial, but this section works on astrology as studied up to Renaissance eras, before the discovery of the outer. The section is kept that way to discourage confrontations between moderns and traditionals about what is right, thus 2 sections exist.

I don't think anyone got offended by your statement about Jupiter. After all, this is what the section is for: to offer interpretations to traditional theorems.

Drop the outer mentions, and the discussion will be much more polite and smooth. :pouty:

JUPITERASC

I don't have any framework applied here right now, but that of tradition.
keep in mind that
this is our traditional board
why then harp on non-Traditional and therefore irrelevant Modernist outer planets
I answered the first time
questioning Jupiter
since I never heard of it mentioned with that purpose
and saying
that if we used Jupiter
we could have as well used Saturn and Uranus to describe kids.
That got deleted.
Clearly
the deletion was because as you are well aware
this being the traditional forum
two modern outer planets and one dwarf planet are irrelevant
and on this board

traditionally, Jupiter and Saturn are outer planets

but

despite being corrected by the Moderator of this board :smile:
you insist
on deliberately
repeatedly mentioning two irrelevant modern outer planets and one dwarf planet
not only are you not reading the rules of this Traditional board
you are not reading responses to your comments either
that's obvious because

I already mentioned that

Vettius Valens in THE ANTHOLOGY
wrote that Saturn MAY describe children
and I quote:

'...Saturn signifies the fathership of the children of others....'

now if you wish to question Vettius Valens with illustrations using two modern outer planets
and one modern dwarf planet
then by all means open a thread for that discussion on the Modernist forum

but on this traditional board of our forum

as Dirius already reminded you several times
discussion is unsurprisingly within traditional framework methodology

tsmall

Premium Member
I'm just trying to say that in my first post, which was deleted, I respected all the rules; all I did was bringing up a random example, referred to Uranus.
But there are other posts on here out of tradition, and you're still going on talking about Uranus... that's ok?

No, your first post was a discourse on all things that the planets symbolize in modern astrology, and THAT'S why it got deleted.

So why instead don't we discuss a serious point, like I was trying to do, instead of censoring every kind of discussion that tries to bring some clarity into the matter?

WE are. You are not.

Again, the thread was about the symbol of children, and that's not Jupiter. Because of the reasons I cared to explain but that you all keep ignoring because I just said "Uranus" in a post that was deleted.

No, the thread was posted in the traditional forum to ask for the traditional "natural significator" of children.

Sticking to tradition, as I do,

Are you seriously kidding me right now?

{deleted attacking comment~moderator}

As in the quotes reported "as a proof" it was clearly stated, and here I repeat it for the 4th time, that Jupiter "brings children" and Saturn could make it hard to have them. Uh. So that doesn't make those 2 planets take child-like features.

Picking and choosing which quotes you reply to, without stretching yourself to read other quotes, or try to find common ground...continuing to argue with those who challenge you, attacking them without being able to articulate your position properly, bringing modern ideas to the wrong board, and then lashing out when you are gently corrected for doing so. That's a lot for a junior member. It's been my experience that if a new member is willing to troll a moderator that member is willing to troll everyone. Consider this a strong suggestion. Any further trolling and you WILL be banned without further warning.

{deleted attacking comment~moderator}

muchacho

That's an interesting thesis, I agree with it. We need to be able to read the symbols well though, before drawing connections, or we create false informations.

The answers given to me to explain why Jupiter was associated to children, so far, were all about explaining how Jupiter was considered the child-bearer. Or the "bringer" of many kids. Well, that's just another thing. We were asked the symbol for children, not for educators. Not for fortune.
The children are Mercury in the tradition, and I can see how much it can be related to Jupiter, since it's the opposing planet. They need one another to function. But they're the opposite. And, before of the law of attraction you talk about, Astrology is based on a very fair, and specular distribution of attributes, so we can't really have all the planets to indicate the same things, in an infinite series of associations, that would be inaccurate for most readings and would as well make it impossible for us to draw a clear picture to study on.
We need a Mars that opposes Venus, a Sun that opposes Saturn, and Mercury well, it opposes Jupiter.
Mercury is brilliance, contacts, quickness, thievery, commerce, communication. They're all "fresh" attributes.
Jupiter is wisdom, abundance, fortune, expansion and pontification. They're all "mature" attributes.

I agree there are very thin shades, especially in traditional Astrology, but if we can't at least draw a line between who's a child and who's an educator then we're stuck in the mud.
I get your point, some rulerships just don't make sense. I'd say the most clear cut are the meanings of the signs and the most convoluted are the meanings of the houses. The planets are somewhere in between. And if we would be on the vedic board, I'd just say Jupiter rules children because Jupiter is associated with the 5th house which rules children. :biggrin:

JUPITERASC

I get your point, some rulerships just don't make sense.
one wonders which rulerships "just don't make sense"
and the reasons why

I'd say the most clear cut are the meanings of the signs
and the most convoluted are the meanings of the houses.
The planets are somewhere in between.

And if we would be on the vedic board,
I'd just say Jupiter rules children
because Jupiter is associated with the 5th house which rules children.
:biggrin:
tsmall posted "the short answer" some time ago on this thread that

The short answer to the OP
is that while each chart will be different,
leading to the need to look at the ruler of the 5th, etc,

traditionally Jupiter is the general significator of children.

Keeping it simple,
Tamara
and on an even earlier post on this thread
Culpeper mentioned that

Use Jupiter for this

especially if they are school children.
This is from Christian Astrology page 63.
The key word is scholars as used in England.

so Vedic board is in agreement with traditional on that
:smile:

muchacho

If you look at the quotes, you'll see that all authors work with Jupiter on the matter of children, but the only one who explicitly mentions Jupiter as the significator of children seems to be Al Biruni. And he's very close to the Hindu tradition. Manilius seems to be more concerned with Sun and Moon placements, Jupiter only seems to be an additional factor. So I think Jupiter as the significator of children is probably mainly a Hindu thing. In vedic astrology there are fixed and variable significators. The fixed significator for children would be Jupiter, the variable significator would be the PK, i.e. planet number 5 in terms of longitude. So in vedic astrology Jupiter is directly linked to children while in the west it's more an indirect link via Jupiter's triplicity lords and the lot of children. In either case, they all suggest to work with Jupiter somehow. Where I do see them work with Mercury is on the subject of number of children, especially twins.

Rex (The Rulership Book) lists the 5th, Sun, Leo and Venus (and Mercury) as rulers of children. Lehman (The Book of Rulerships) lists the 5th, 11th, Cancer and Jupiter as rulers of children.

JUPITERASC

This thread was very stimulating, to say the least.

Digging into the quotes and references you brought up, I came to understand a few things, first of which is that the "tradition" covers more than 2000 years of reported history (modern astrology instead is not that vast in terms of years).

So how can we expect to have a tradition that is more official than the other? Is Manilius better than Ptolemy? Or the Quran astrologers better than Ptolemy?
What about Vedic Astrology then? And all the non western ones?

There are many interpretations, to different schools of thought. To declare universal "traditional" truths is just a bit close minded. Especially in a thread about traditional astrology.

Critodemus and Manilius (the oldest astrologers whose work we can still grasp) both associate children to Mercury or Venus.

I went through the Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos again, and honestly I haven't found a single association of Jupiter to child-bringing, or children in general.

I've found a site instead, called www.skyscript.co.uk where it seems you've taken all your infos from, which declares "Jupiter is traditionally" the children symbol, but does so without any explanation.

Abu Ma'shar and all the later astrologers are 1000 years after Ptolemy.

I have no idea about Vedic Astrology, so I'll keep it out of my considerations.

The association of Jupiter to children, especially if you're hoping to have one, is not wrong. Especially when you have only 7 planets on which formulate your "predictions".
If you have to understand what outcome more probably will turn out, then yes, watch very well for your Jupiter. It'll be responsabile of your fortune, but it's not directly meaning "children" in chaldean astrology, which is where it all came from.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Here it may be worth noting a point that David Pingree made
in his review of Goold’s translation of the Astronomica
which is that while Manilus’ work is partially meant to be instructional

“…its principle purpose
seems to have been to delight its audience with poetry
and to arouse admiration for the poet by its cleverness… (Pingree 1980, p. 263).”

In other words
Manilius may have been more interested in creating an impressive work of art
than he was in faithfully reporting the techniques of the astrological tradition
Even though Manilius is one of our earliest surviving sources
about the practice and techniques of Hellenistic astrology
in several areas the approach that he outlines is unusual
when compared with other astrologers from that period.

This has led to some debates over the reliability of Manilius

as a source for understanding the practice of Hellenistic astrology.

For example, virtually every astrologer from the 1st century through the 7th century
reports that Venus rejoices in the 5th place
and Saturn in the 12th
but Manilius is the only author who says that Venus rejoices in the 10th
and Saturn in the 4th (Astronomica, 2: 918-938).

It is not clear if Manilius is representing a variant tradition here
or if this variation in the joys was introduced by Manilius himself for unknown reasons
although we can say
that subsequent astrologers seemed to ignore Manilius version of the joys over the next few centuries.
Elsewhere it is notable that in the surviving manuscripts of the Astronomica
Manilius fails to address the significations of the planets.
While this might simply indicate that something is missing in the manuscripts
in some instances Manilius seems to go out of his way
to avoid invoking the planets in situations where they would otherwise normally be used
for example such as in the assignment of the planets to the decans
which he instead assigns to the signs of the zodiac (Astronomica, 4: 294-407).

Volk refers to this issue as the “puzzle of the planets,”
and suggests that Manilius may have purposely ignored the planets
for philosophical or religious reasons (Volk 2009, p. 48f).
http://www.hellenisticastrology.com/astrologers/marcus-manilius/

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

5th century BCE
The oldest known Mesopotamian birth charts date to 410 BCE.
The concept of natal astrology or genethlialogy was developed by this time

1st century BCE

• The last Cuneiform and the first Greek birth charts appear around mid-1st century BCE.
  • The foundational texts attributed to Hermes Trismegistus, Asclepius, and Nechepso and Petosiris are published in the 1st century BCE or slightly earlier. This is essentially the birth of Hellenistic astrology.
  • Rome annexes Egypt and the Ptolemaic dynasty comes to an end with the death of Cleopatra in 30 BCE.

1st century CE

• Manilius writes his Astronomica sometime around the death of Augustus in 14 CE.
  • Thrasyllus becomes the personal astrologer for the Emperor Tiberius prior to 2 CE, and subsequently writes an astrological manual titled Table sometime before his death in 36 CE.
  • Thrasyllus’ son Balbillus takes over his father’s position in the Roman imperial court. He served the emperors Claudius, Nero and Vespasian.
  • Antiochus of Athens wrote a book of definitions of astrological concepts, perhaps sometime around the 1st century CE.
  • Critodemus wrote a work known as the Vision and another named Table likely sometime in the 1st century.
  • Teucer of Babylon wrote a text that dealt with the planets, the signs, and co-rising stars, probably sometime in the 1st century.
  • Dorotheus of Sidon wrote his five book instructional poem on astrology sometime around the last quarter of the 1st century. Book 5 is the earliest surviving treatment of electional or katarchic astrology.
http://www.hellenisticastrology.com/articles/timeline-of-ancient-astrologers/

2nd century CE

• Aubio wrote an instructional poem on astrology perhaps sometime around the late 1st or early 2nd century.
  • Manetho wrote his Apotelesmatika sometime in the early 2nd century. He was born in May 80 CE.
  • The Greek original of the Yavanajataka was written in Egypt in the early 2nd century.
  • The original Greek text of the Yavanajataka was translated into Sanskrit in 149/150 by Yavaneśvara.
  • Claudius Ptolemy wrote the Tetrabiblos sometime around the mid-2nd century, attempting to re-conceptualize astrology within the broader context of Aristotelian natural philosophy.
  • Vettius Valens wrote the books which were later compiled as his Anthology and towards the middle of the 2nd century. He was born February 8, 120.

By the way Claudius Ptolemy was not an astrologer
in contrast Vettius Valens was a practising astrologer
who left us with at least one hundred natal charts
Ptolemy provided not one natal chart at all in any of his works

Valens frequently draws on Nechepso and Petosiris

although he sometimes expresses frustration with their cryptic style.

He also draws heavily on Critodemus
who he expresses even greater contempt for at times
at one point saying that he is all show and no substance.
He mentions Thrasyllus once in book 9.

Ptolemy and Ancient Astronomy

Synopsis

Melvyn Bragg and his guests
discuss the ancient Greek astronomer and mathematician Ptolemy
and consider how and why his geocentric theory of the universe
held sway for so many centuries.
In his seminal astronomical work, the Almagest
written in the 2nd century AD
Ptolemy proposed that the Earth was at the centre of the universe...

Ptolemy's model of the universe remained the dominant one
for over a thousand years. It was not until 1543, and Copernicus's heliocentric theory of the world,
that the Ptolemaic model was finally challenged
and not until 1609 that Johannes Kepler's New Astronomy put an end to his ideas for good.
But how and why did Ptolemy's system survive for so long?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017528d

JUPITERASC

Ptolemy called himself an astrologer, the fact he was one of the most famous "astronomer" just adds to that.
Astrology is based on the Earth perspective,
it makes perfect sense now that we have proven Einstein's relativity,
to talk about a Earth that revolves around the Sun
as well as talking of the Sun revolving around the Earth.
Astrology works with the second assumption.
The fact that Ptolemy made it so universal perhaps just adds to his "astrologer" relevance.
They were the same thing though.
And Ptolemy used to bash sorcerers in his texts, but those were no "astrologers".

=)

"Vettius Valens' Anthologiae is the longest extant astrological work from antiquity.
It is unique in several respects: the author was a practicing astrologer
the work includes more than 100 authentic horoscopes of Valens' clients or associates
including his own, which is used as an example many times throughout the work
the work also includes tables and the description of algorithms used by astrologers and mathematiciansMark T Riley

Clearly, Mark T Riley is of the opinion that
Valens is unique in being a practicing astrologer
whose work is the longest extant astrological work from antiquity :smile:

JUPITERASC

I'll read the entire ol' Vettius now. Yo.
I re-read it continually :smile:

crucial difference between Ptolemy and Valens:

While Ptolemy 'compiled'
Ptolemy altered techniques according to personal prejudice/whim:
and Ptolemy, mathematician/astronomer and not a practicing astrologer
had a different rationale/perspective to that of Valens.

Ptolemy built on the work of Apollonius of Perga who
approximately four centuries earlier than Ptolemy
developed a form of geometric particular methods within the geometrical practice
that are to do with circular motion - as well as motions of circles moving on circles and so on
that Ptolemy then applied
to discovering the much sought-after geometrical rationale
thought to be underlying appearances

Thus Ptolemy described a rationale that 'explained' retrograde motion
- but incorrectly - because the planets do not move with uniform circular motion in circles
Ptolemy mathematically appealing idea of the universe, was incorrect

Valens perspective being that of a practicing astrologer
meant that Valens was eager to preserve everything he possibly could intact
for the benefit of future astrologers.
Valens simply compiled without altering what he compiled.
Certainly Valens commented on the various astrological techniques
but crucially, did not alter any.
That fact taken in tandem with Valen's work being
'the longest extant astrological work from antiquity'
understandably obviously makes Valens an important figure.
Crucially, Valens utilised not only his own horoscope
but also those of more than a 100 authentic horoscopes of his own clients.

in contrast
Ptolemy doesn't talk very much about people of his own time
instead he talks about observations made centuries earlier by Hipparchus, another great astronomer
- Observations used by Ptolemy are largely Babylonian via Hipparchus

And it was Hipparchus who, a century after Apollonius
began applying the Apollonian geometry
in the first attempt to describe the movements of the heavenly spheres geometrically.
Hipparchus took the first steps
in attempting to make the Apollonian geometry fit the appearances of the heavens
- particularly in relation to the moon and the sun

- by developing those moving circles as a technique for dealing with the confusing appearances of the heavens

Ptolemy then expanded on the original ideas of both his predecessors, Apollonius and Hipparchus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Perga

Albert Timashev while writing an article entitled
"Reconstruction of The Major Egyptian Years"
has this to say of Ptolemy:

"Today it is well known that Greek scientist Claudius Ptolemy
was not a representative of a traditional Greek astrological school
and most likely, he was never a practicing astrologer at all.
Ptolemy's work Tetrabiblos reflects his personal and sometimes disputable opinions on many questions."
http://www.astrologer.ru/article/mey.html.en

JUPITERASC

dr. farr has studied and practiced astrology for more than fifty years
has a vast knowledge of astrological history
and posted the following comprehensive summary on a similar discussion
........To me, there is virtually no question
that Ptolemy incorporated a good many ideas, definition, concepts, from his Hellenist predecessors and contemporaries,
in the synthesis of his unique astrological model.
However, Ptolemy also excludes a number of ideas and methods
characteristic of the general practice of Hellenist astrologers:

1) he excludes divisions of signs, rejecting this as fanciful; eg, decans (although he briefly mentions planetary faces), horas, duodenaries (sign 1/12ths), both planetary as well as sign monomoiria, all of which were important in general Hellenistic practice

2) he excludes consideration of "degree qualities" (eg, pits, elevated degrees, azimene degrees, bright/dark degrees), considered of much importance by all the other Hellenist authorities

3) he pays little attention to sect (a major consideration for the Hellenists), apparently substituting his doctrine of matutine/vespertine for it; he certainly follows the Hellenistic allocations of "masculine/feminine" to the various planets, but makes this a purely conditional "state" in his doctrine which states that planets rising before the Sun (matutine) are thereby "masculine" and those rising after the Sun (vespertine) are thereby "feminine"

4) differing from Manilius, Antiochus, Valens, Maternus, Ptolemy does not delineate the meanings/areas of life indicated by the places ("houses") of the dodecatropos (although he uses them and refers to some of them in his outlining of various calculations to be made from natal charts)

5) although describing profection (which was the most important method of "progessing" a natal chart among the Hellenists), Ptolemy spends most of his instructional time and effort in describing his system of Primary Directions, for such prognostic purposes

6) he joins other Hellenists in regarding the importance of "terms", but he rejects the more ancient Chaldean terms as well as the then-dominant (in Hellenistic astrology) Egyptians terms, substituting instead his own modification of what he says is an "ancient writing" he found which "made sense to him" (my paraphrase)-this is an example of Ptolemy taking material from earlier sources but then reworking that material to fit his own synthesis, rather than just passing it on "as is" (like other Hellenists seemed to do-eg, Manilius, Valens, Maternus)

7) there were several techniques/methods used by the Hellenists which Ptolemy does not mention: perhaps the most important of these was the dodekatemorion technique, a major delineative practice (Valens, Antiochus, Maternus, Paulus Alexandrianus) to which Ptolemy makes no reference whatsoever

8) katarchic astrology was important among the Hellenists (inceptional astrology; also elections)-Dorotheus, Valens, Maternus, Maximus, are among the major exponents; Ptolemy does not mention this or outline any techniques, rules, methods, for katachic apllications

9) the Hellenists made a really extensive use of Lots in delineation (what we call "Arabic Parts"-they should more properly be called "Greek Parts", because the Hellenists made even more frequent and extensive use of Lots than the later "Arabic astrologers" did!) Ptolemy rejects all lots, EXCEPT for one-the Lot of Fortune (Part of Fortune), which Ptolemy (differing from other Hellenists) accorded status EQUAL TO the ascendant, Sun and Moon. However, unlike Manilius (Circle of the Athla), Valens, Antiochus, Maternus, Ptolemy does not suggest a "Fortunata" chart for delineation of the ramifications of the Part of Fortune (as those other Hellenist authors had done in their writings)

10) relative to the Part of Fortune, Ptolemy differs from all other Hellenists by insisting that only the day formula (ascendant+moon-sun) be used in its calculations, even if the birth were at night: all other Hellenists gave variant formulas for the Part of Fortune depending upon whether the birth were in the day or at night.

These are some of the differences (which I recollect at this time from my study of the Tetrabiblos and the Almagest) between Ptolemy's astrological model, and the common practices of Hellenistic astrology before and after his time. I neither praise nor denigrate Ptolemy, I've found certain things of value in his works, as well as things I simply don't care for-but that's just me (and I am not an academic nor a historian) I have taken for my own use, materials from Hellenist, Traditionalist, Modernist, Vedic and Chinese astrological sources and traditions, I value them all, and at the same time I also disagree/don't "go along with" much of the information also to be found in each and every one of these approaches-that is why I am an eclectic.
So, yes I think Ptolemy made important contributions to the astrological art, and also (in my opinion) provided a good deal of misleading information as well: just as many of the ancient authors (West and East) did as well...

dr. farr

It is my PERSONAL ("private") belief (relative to the historical situation in the West) that Ptolemy intended to reform the then existing astrology along Aristotelian "rationalist" (and literalist) lines, and to expunge anything that couldn't be "explained" by (what Ptolemy and others believed to be) Aristotelian "science"; Ptolemy's position eventually triumphed (by the time of the Arabic astrological transition) and dominated medieval European astrological thought.

ANUP

Natural signifier is jupitor.One can also predict if it is antardasa of 10th house lord or 2nd house lord.This may determine sex of child also.

petosiris

Banned
Petosiris says: “Whenever Jupiter, Venus, and Mercury are not afflicted, they are indicative of fine offspring. When the opposite is true, they cause lamenting and the deaths of children. If the stars that are in aspect with the Givers of Children are in bicorporeal signs, or if <the Givers> themselves are in bicorporeal signs, the number is doubled. Feminine stars in aspect with the Childgiver grant female children; male stars grant male children.” - Valens 2.39, trans. by Riley

''As the topic of children follows upon that of marriage, we shall have to observe the planets that are in the mid‑heaven or in aspect with it or with its succedent...'' - Ptolemy

The fourth house gives signs of the parents, because the X place gives signs of children (the I is the IV from the X and the I is the X from the IV). Also the X place concerns the middle of life and so the XI would also give some significations according to Ptolemy (somewhat following Petosiris according to Hephaistio). Hermes also had children assigned to the X place.

According to the majority of Hellenistic astrologers, Jupiter, Venus and Mercury are indicative of abundance of offspring and brothers (see Valens 2.40), but it has to confirmed by the places of children (X, XI, V, IV or a Lot/Place of Children) and brothers (I, III or a Lot/Place of Brothers).