Parallel & Conjunction

MoonSun

These two work the same. Also do I have an example and question at the same time.

We all know that Venus conjunct the ascendant gives extraordinary beauty which is noticeable. It seems logic that Venus parallel ascendant would give the same. But now something else; If the ruler planet of your ascendant conjunct or parallel with Venus, how powerful would this be?

waybread

I don't know, because oftentimes a chart has additional confounding factors. For example, a nice Venus conjunction in the first might be squared by an unhappy Saturn.

However, are you familiar with the Astrodienst Astro-DataBank? www.astro.com

It's a huge on-line collection of horoscopes of celebrities as well as ordinary people from astrologers' files. You might do some research, and report back!

I have to say that Mercury, my Virgo ascendant ruler, conjuncts Venus in Aquarius in the 5th house (Placidus.) I was never a raving beauty. Passable when I was younger, but I can't say that Venus did me any particular favours. But then Uranus squared by ascendant.....

MoonSun

You see, the thing online is that you can't find a aspect for parallel when searching trough the charts. It only shows Quinqunx, quintile, Semi-sextile etc. It's hard to find examples. I believe that it could possibly give the same results, but in a different way, still the same.

About you, I don't want to be rude, forgive my curiosity, but is it possible for me to see a picture of you? The description of the aspects should give you something attractive what makes you stand out in a noticeable way anyway, but more quietly I think (the whole chart is needed to be looked at to say something like this).

waybread

It's not rude, but I don't post my picture due to privacy concerns.

I can't think of where I have seen cookbook delineations on parallels (and contra-parallels) other than that they are like conjunctions (and contra-parallels like oppositions.)

I think you might enjoy doing some research to test your theories.

waybread

MoonSun, I've not studied Magi Astrology: they have their own system and charge for it. But I understand that declination is very important in their system. If you want to pursue parallels further they might be worth pursuing.

Please report back if you find anything. Given that everyone assumes that a parallel works "just like" a conjunction, I'm starting to wonder if anyone has actually researched it.

JUPITERASC

These two work the same.
Also do I have an example and question at the same time.
We all know that Venus conjunct the ascendant
gives extraordinary beauty
which is noticeable.
It seems logic that Venus parallel ascendant
would give the same.
But now something else; If
the ruler planet of your ascendant conjunct
or parallel
with Venus, how powerful would this be?

that is dependent on the particular natal chart

keep in mind that highlighting a configuration in isolation
to the exclusion of rest of chart
is an unreliable method
because
the entire chart must be delineated as a whole

some useful comment from dr.farr on this topic :smile:
always remember this:
A PARALLEL IS ALWAYS LIKE A STRONG CONJUNCTION, so
read "conjunction" whenever you find a parallel...

Yes, an easy and effective way IS to delineate them as conjunctions,
because they are so like conjunctions in fact
(and the contra's can be looked at as if oppositions, only here there is
some significant historical disagreement
about whether contra-parallels are like oppositions or not;
personally I do not use the contra's, however
the majority of practitioners, who look at declinations, consider contra's as if oppositions)
Look up the internet references to the works of K.T. Boehrer
for further elaboration of declinations, and the book by L. Westin entitled
"Beyond the Solstice by Declination", is an excellent further-study guide
(this book is available from various internet vendors, including astroamerica.com)
I consider Parallels so important, that
the first thing I always look at in a chart
(natal, event, mundane charts)
is the table of declinations for that chart
(available as the free pdf supplement for the astro.com charts);
only after I have determined any extant Parallels, do I
then go to the longitudinal conjunctions and aspects
(ie the "regular" aspects), house and sign placements, etc,
of the chart.