Gemstones for my girlfriend

Gingerwizard

Hi all, I've been reading up on my girlfriends signs as I'd like to get a meaningful gemstone for her birthday and my goodness has it been informative linking all the information together with her different signs! We've definitely had a few problems but each time we both gain a little more understanding. After reading about her signs it's laid down a lot of the traits and combination of that which I'd been piecing together myself and I agree with quite a lot of it.

Her sun sign is Leo, Moon sign Pisces, and Sagittarius rising. Can anyone suggest what sort of stones might be good for the 3?

I haven't read much further yet into what comes after the rising signs and what they mean but I will carry on. There's just a lot to take in!

If it makes a difference her houses are as follows

2 Capricorn
3 Pisces
4 Aries
5 Taurus
6 Gemini
7 descendent gemini
8 Cancer
9 Virgo
10 Midheaven Libra
11 Scorpio
12 Sagitarius

I had initially been looking at Calcite to help her moon sign Pisces with confidence and self belief as obviously the stone needs to have a current purpose, but I'd be interested in some advice on options from anyone who has any understanding of this.

Osamenor

Staff member
Are you looking for one stone to encompass everything? Or multiple stones, to address her different signs? Is this to be a single piece of jewelry? Does she have any particular preference for jewelry with one stone or with multiple stones? For that matter, does she even like wearing gemstones?

If she likes gemstone jewelry, it's a good gift. If she doesn't go for jewelry at all--hey, some women don't--then another kind of gift entirely would be more appropriate.

If you're getting her one or more gemstones, I suggest tying it to her sun sign, moon sign, and/or rising sign. If multiple gemstones are a possibility, maybe one for each of those. But don't think of it as helping her--that can be condescending. Think of it as honoring those parts of her.

You could look for gemstones that are traditionally associated with those signs. I don't know much about what stone goes with what sign off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are lists somewhere. Or you could look for stones that correlate with the traits of the signs, especially the traits that you see in your girlfriend. They might be the same stones, but you might also come up with something different if you just look at the traits instead of a traditional association list.

Are you familiar with Steven Forrest's method of identifying sign archetypes? He outlines it in The Inner Sky. By that method, a person is their sun sign archetype, with the soul of their moon sign archetype, wearing the mask of their rising sign archetype. If you have a sense of which archetypes fit your girlfriend, then you could match gemstones to that.

moonkat235

I always enjoyed Lapis Lazuli for Sagittarius energy and I thought of Blue Calcite for Pisces, maybe even Honey Calcite. I'd probably go for a natural or rough Blue Calcite and an optical Honey Calcite. I really enjoy Lapis Lazuli spheres as well. Anyway, just a thought!

Osamenor

Staff member
On a reread, this stood out for me:

I had initially been looking at Calcite to help her moon sign Pisces with confidence and self belief as obviously the stone needs to have a current purpose)

Do you see her lacking confidence and self belief?

If so, I think that's a Leo thing rather than a Pisces thing. You might have heard that Leos are confident, even to the point of arrogance, but that's not so much who a Leo is as what they're developing. Leo is about developing the self to the fullest. Self confidence, self belief, self esteem are issues that crop up again and again because that's what Ms. or Mr. Leo is working on. That doesn't mean they already are self confident. In many cases, they actually feel the opposite.

In your girlfriend's case, she has Leo intercepted: no house cusps in that sign. And because the sun rules only Leo, no other sign, if Leo is intercepted, the sun is a tenant in its own home with no house to rule. All other planets, except the moon (and the outers, but astrologers differ on using those as house rulers), rule two signs, so they still "own" a house if a sign they rule is intercepted, but not the sun. That diminishes the sun-energy slightly, and sun-energy is self energy.

And, her sun is not only intercepted, it's intercepted in the hidden eighth house. Quite possibly, she doesn't feel all that Leo. Sagittarius has a similar enough energy to Leo, both being fire signs, that she might seem Leo-like to those who know her, but what's going on inside is different.

And, Leo and Pisces have very different energies. She has to integrate them both, through her sun and moon. It's a combination that makes for great sensitivity and creativity, but the challenge can be having enough self. Or, maybe, feeling comfortable with having enough self.

Now, I don't know her, and I don't know where in her journey she is. Maybe she has, in fact, built a very solid sense of self and she's perfectly comfortable with it. But I suspect it's an ongoing process for her.

I personally work with flowers, and flower essences, rather than gemstones. That's my thing. When I read this, I thought of calendula and buttercup--those are very Leo flowers, which help with that Leo kind of issue I described. So, I went looking online for a gemstone that would match calendula and buttercup in what it does. Sunstone seems to fit the bill.

That would honor the Leo in her, and also provide the kind of help you describe.

Last edited:

moonkat235

I'm not as into crystals as I used to be, but I think honey calcite is very warm and rich.

Here is a description:
Honey Calcite

Quote: "Honey Calcite increases feelings of self worth, confidence and courage and assists to overcome obstacles. It is helpful for learning of all types and developing skills."

Keywords: Clarity of insight and action, confidence, persistence, intellectual power
Chakras: Base, solar plexus, third eye
Zodiac Signs: Cancer, Leo, Pisces, Aries

wan

I agree with Osamenor. Some women don't like jewelry. I also know that quite a few adult women aren't into the whole birth-stone thing. Has your girlfriend indicated or dropped hints that this is what she wants for her b-day?

I would just give her a gift card for Starbucks. Most women like starbucks.

Osamenor

Staff member
I would just give her a gift card for Starbucks. Most women like starbucks.
What if she doesn't drink coffee? What if Starbucks doesn't exist in their area? What if she thinks gift cards to Starbucks are just plain cheap? Or, just maybe, doesn't like Starbucks?

You can't assume.

I personally wouldn't think a Starbucks gift card is a good birthday gift from a boyfriend. Too impersonal. It's what kids' parents would give me for the holidays when I taught. It's not a gift to a partner, it's a thank you for your service token.

Opal

Premium Member
I love rocks!

Gemstones, rough and facetted.

Large and small.

I recommend that you understand what your friend likes. What colours does she like? What does she usually wear for jewelry? Rings? Bracelets? Pendants? Pendulums?

In my reading of rocks astrologically, just about any rock can be found for just about any sign, if you read enough books.

Coffee is nice......but I would definitely prefer rock......:biggrin:

Osamenor

Staff member
Coffee is nice......but I would definitely prefer rock......:biggrin:

So would I, actually, if this were a birthday gift from a boyfriend. And I'm not very big on jewelry. I don't always wear it, and when I do, it's just costume pieces with sentimental value. (There are plenty of other nice gifts, too, of course.)

It's nice if you know what her tastes are and give her something that really fits them. Even nicer if you can say, "This made me think of you because...."

If there's a gemstone you feel is really her, that would be a good one, regardless of any astrological association.