House System Insanity!!! Please help.....

gesso

I feel so frustrated right now. If i cant figure this out, i am seriously going to throw my laptop out the window. It gives me such a headache. :eek:
There has to be ONE of these that works for me right?

I have been studying my chart in preparation for my saturn return next september...and starting to realize that maybe i dont have a 7th house saturn after all...that maybe it is an 8th house saturn.(placidus is the only one that puts it in the 7th, but i really wonks out my house sizes)

As far as trying to figure out what system to use, Bob had a tip for me once to check and see where my progressed venus had made it to at the date of my wedding 6 years ago, becasue that might have been my 2nd house cusp. I did this for all these charts, and it doesn't come close to any of them. It just sextiles my sun and opposes my jupiter. (Progressed venus was at 11Pisces23 when i got married)

Other than that, i was also given the tip to try looking at progressed mars and events coinciding with a move to 8th...but i cant look at this either becasue mars went retro in my progressed chart when i was 14..it is still conjunct natal mars right now.

ANY ideas on how i can narrow this down? What should i do? just pick one and use it and who cares? It would seem placidus is out though(Imo..it doesnt really work with me). I would really prefer there to be accuracy here or else why do it? This has seriously led me to so much frustration

All i know at this point, is that i really think i might have an 8th house saturn...:(

I am up north, my houses are pretty wonky with placidus

My Placidus Chart

janetplacidus.gif

Basically, saturn gets moved out of my 7th with the other house systems. I have been using this one for the past year of learning, and now i am so upset, because it looks like i have been wrong all along...

Porphyry Houses

janetporphry.gif

Things get really crazy with equal (this is the one i would PREFER to use, as it seems so simple) but it puts my mars/jupiter in 8th, which i am not sure if it fits me.....i will have do do more research
This ones changes most all of my placidus planets :confused: ..ughh

Equal Houses

janetequal.gif

Equal houses is the classic way to do it right? People have had accuracy and success with it for a long time? I like how simplistic it is

Last edited:

starlink

I never used Porphyry houses. If anything it has been a choice between Koch and Placidus. Placidus works fine with me and it is my impression that each astrologer should choose the housesystem that works for him/her. I have great success with Placidus, you might have great success with Equal house system. Indeed it is the traditionally most used system.

If I use Equal house system then all my planets stay in the same houses as with Placidus, so nothing changes for me. My Ascendant falls at 25°. I have Moon and Jupiter in 12, so they stay there. I have Sun at 14° Taurus as last planet in that sign, so it also remains in the 6th house.

Go with Equal house hon..... i teach, lecture and public speak and to me it just works.

Do your own research, see what fits for you and when your comfortable, just stick with it.:D

wilsontc

Staff member
intercepted signs? to gesso

gesso,

You said:
gesso said:
I feel so frustrated right now. If i cant figure this out, i am seriously going to throw my laptop out the window. It gives me such a headache...I have been studying my chart in preparation for my saturn return next september...trying to figure out what system to use...see where my progressed venus...try looking at progressed mars and events coinciding with a move to 8th...but i cant look at this...ANY ideas on how i can narrow this down? What should i do?...It would seem placidus is out though(Imo..it doesnt really work with me).

The interesting thing is, if you use Placidus, you have an intercepted Virgo (daily work, also analysis) (and Pisces) indicating you may tend to OVERanalyze things! :D
More about intercepted signs here (middle of page):
http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/Intercepted_signs.htm

Placidly,

Tim

EJ53

Banned
And, when you married, didn't progressed Venus form an "Easy Opposition" to the Placidus 6/12th natal cusps?

(Virgo/Pisces intercepted in 1/7 : 10/4 signs duplicated : Cap/Can on 12/6 cusps : 12/6 cusps form Easy Opposition with progressed Venus for marriage)

I'd say Placidus works very well for you, Gesso.

EJ:)

rogue_red

I put your birth data through some different house systems and here is what I got.
7th house saturn;
Campanus
Meridian
Morinus
Placidus
Regiomontanus
Topocentric

8th house saturn;
Koch
Porphyry
Equal

Personally I use Koch, Placidus and equal, in that order. Equal is easy but im still struggling to reconcile its accuracy for my location. Being in the deep south its relevance is in question.
One tip I would offer is to look at other planets that shift house and compare their interpretation to see if that helps to clarify things but I totally understand your situation. I am having similar issues:(

Neppy

Hi

Try whole sign house system. (used by Robert Hand and others)

It works magic. I have recently started to try it out and it makes so much sense, and finally I can start to relax without the confusion of all diffrent systems. (it was driving me mad aswell)

Neppy

Really really dont bother trying whole house system, its going to confuse you even more.

wilsontc
dont know much about intercepted signs but 3planets in Virgo will over analyse things anyway, plus be a born worrier in the 8th house of scorpio who wants the depth and breadth of everything

Inside Out Orange

Neppy said:
Try whole sign house system. (used by Robert Hand and others)

It works magic. I have recently started to try it out and it makes so much sense, and finally I can start to relax without the confusion of all diffrent systems. (it was driving me mad aswell)

Must agree that I'm tending towards Whole system too, seems very representative for me. Have found that the movements of Pluto in and out of Sagitarius have been noticeable, likewise Saturn in the past.

That said, it could just be a coincidence as my Ascendent is around the 2 degree mark of Taurus but back in Aries if I'm born 5 mins earlier. Whole system gives a chart that is very similar to Equal for me.

waybread

Sometimes when people don't find Placidus helpful (such as those born in high latitudes) it is helpful to play around with different house systems. Some astrologers swear by one house system and believe that all others are wrong. Other astrologers are more flexible, even believing that different house systems suit different individuals.

1. You might look at Uranus transits in your life. Because it deals with sudden changes, see if you can time sudden changes in areas of your life indicated by houses transited by Uranus. This can help you determine your "best-fit" cusps.

2. The 8th house supposedly symbolizes the resources of the 7th (marriage), just as the 2nd house symbolizes the resources of the 1st (the individual.) So it isn't at all a bad idea to consider Saturn in light of the overlapping meanings of two adjacent houses. Stuff like joint finances. The 8th also symbolizes the circular time of sex-birth-life-death-rebirth, on a very profound level. So sexuality (8th) and marriage (7th) might be another common area between the two houses.

starlink

The 8th house supposedly symbolizes the resources of the 7th (marriage), just as the 2nd house symbolizes the resources of the 1st (the individual.) So it isn't at all a bad idea to consider Saturn in light of the overlapping meanings of two adjacent houses. Stuff like joint finances. The 8th also symbolizes the circular time of sex-birth-life-death-rebirth, on a very profound level. So sexuality (8th) and marriage (7th) might be another common area between the two houses.

This is a very good answer. Actually the whole post of Waybread I find conclusive.

hiimnotcool

"Really really dont bother trying whole house system, its going to confuse you even more.

wilsontc
dont know much about intercepted signs but 3planets in Virgo will over analyse things anyway, plus be a born worrier in the 8th house of scorpio who wants the depth and breadth of everything"

I hope you're kidding? First, Whole Sign is tradtionally the most used system, not equal house. Secondly, it won't confuse anybody. It's much more simplistic in nature but is known to bring to light certain things that get confused with these other house systems.

Just about every astrologer from the 2nd century BCE until about the mid-9th century CE used whole sign houses almost exclusively in order to delineate topics in a chart. Even the early Arabic era astrologers working in Baghdad in the 8th and early 9th centuries such as Masha'Allah and Abu ‘Ali al-Khayat used whole sign houses in their chart delineations. Then, at some point in the middle of the 9th century something changed and all of a sudden the quadrant style systems of house division started to be used topically, and this usage completely displaced the use of whole sign houses.

With that said, use whatever works for you. I'm sure there is merit in each house system, but I don't see how someone can say to stay away from the actual tradtional system for astrology. If all the astrologers we got most of our information from used it then there must be something to it.

PS, even Ptolemy did too.

piercethevale

Howdy, I would like to add my 'Two Cents Worth' to this thread...I am convinced of the validity of the Placidus system. I became convinced of Placidus when I learned how to utilize the Sabian Symbol for each house cusp as understanding it symbolically represents your role in the affairs of that house. Not unlike an actor given a role in a play...the House Cusp Sabian Symbol represents your role in the 'Act' that is your life in the matter of the concerns of that particular House.
[As I was taught and found to be true] The 12th house cusp symbolically represents your answer to the worlds' problems. In my proposed birth chart for Jesus the 12th house cusp is 03* Virgo 14'...the Sabian Symbol for the 4th degree of Virgo is [From Rudhyars' book "An Astrological Mandalla"] "Black And White Children Play Together Happily...Keyword: BROTHERHOOD."...as to what I was brought up to know and believe about the Man... This sounds right to me...in fact I couldn't pick a better symbol from the other 359 to choose from...if I was given a choice.
I suggest looking to the House Cusp that governs the affairs most predominate in your life and see if the Sabian Symbol 'rings' with what you know about yourself in relation to those affairs. [A writer would look to the 3rd House Cusp...A Philosopher to the 9th etc.]
My 12th house cusp is at 24* Libra 09'...the Symbol for the 25th degree of Libra is defined by Rudhyars' 'Keynote' in the text of his book as: "The ability to discover in every experience a transcendent or cosmic meaning"...his 'Keyword' for this degree is "CLAIR-SEEING"...and I say this does sum up my attitude towards the worlds problems...and my learning Astrology and most significantly the Sabian Symbols to help others [the worlds problems] is a most conspicuous demonstration of this.
Or take my 3rd house cusp at 19* Cap. 44' [The 3rd house is about communication and writing] The Symbol for the 20th degree of Cap. is defined by Rudhyar as "The fulfillment of the individuals' creative function through his participation in a group performance consecrated to a transcendent realization of unity."...and I believe that does sum up rather succinctly what I've been doing, most pointedly these past 5 or more years in researching and writing my book and now, these past four months, posting here at this forum and other Astrological and/or spiritual web forums around the net.

...summation: I use the Placidus system because it has repeatedly demonstrated itself to my satisfaction [and amazement at times]...I hear from other Astrologers that some of the other house systems are valid [Yet not a one of whom is as passionate about their conviction as I am with the Placidus and the results I've gotten utilizing it in House Cusp Symbology analysis]...I can't vouch for any other system ...but then again the Cusp Symbology technique [to my knowledge] is only authentic utilizing the Placidus system...and the method of Astrological analysis that I utilize is, by and large, mostly confined to Chart Axis, House Cusp and Arabic Part Symbolic interpretation...I find THAT area of Astrology THE most fascinating one!

piercethevale said:
Howdy, I would like to add my 'Two Cents Worth' to this thread...I am convinced of the validity of the Placidus system. I became convinced of Placidus when I learned how to utilize the Sabian Symbol for each house cusp as understanding it symbolically represents your role in the affairs of that house. Not unlike an actor given a role in a play...the House Cusp Sabian Symbol represents your role in the 'Act' that is your life in the matter of the concerns of that particular House.
[As I was taught and found to be true] The 12th house cusp symbolically represents your answer to the worlds' problems. In my proposed birth chart for Jesus the 12th house cusp is 03* Virgo 14'...the Sabian Symbol for the 4th degree of Virgo is [From Rudhyars' book "An Astrological Mandalla"] "Black And White Children Play Together Happily...Keyword: BROTHERHOOD."...as to what I was brought up to know and believe about the Man... This sounds right to me...in fact I couldn't pick a better symbol from the other 359 to choose from...if I was given a choice.
I suggest looking to the House Cusp that governs the affairs most predominate in your life and see if the Sabian Symbol 'rings' with what you know about yourself in relation to those affairs. [A writer would look to the 3rd House Cusp...A Philosopher to the 9th etc.]
My 12th house cusp is at 24* Libra 09'...the Symbol for the 25th degree of Libra is defined by Rudhyars' 'Keynote' in the text of his book as: "The ability to discover in every experience a transcendent or cosmic meaning"...his 'Keyword' for this degree is "CLAIR-SEEING"...and I say this does sum up my attitude towards the worlds problems...and my learning Astrology and most significantly the Sabian Symbols to help others [the worlds problems] is a most conspicuous demonstration of this.
Or take my 3rd house cusp at 19* Cap. 44' [The 3rd house is about communication and writing] The Symbol for the 20th degree of Cap. is defined by Rudhyar as "The fulfillment of the individuals' creative function through his participation in a group performance consecrated to a transcendent realization of unity."...and I believe that does sum up rather succinctly what I've been doing, most pointedly these past 5 or more years in researching and writing my book and now, these past four months, posting here at this forum and other Astrological and/or spiritual web forums around the net.

...summation: I use the Placidus system because it has repeatedly demonstrated itself to my satisfaction [and amazement at times]...I hear from other Astrologers that some of the other house systems are valid [Yet not a one of whom is as passionate about their conviction as I am with the Placidus and the results I've gotten utilizing it in House Cusp Symbology analysis]...I can't vouch for any other system ...but then again the Cusp Symbology technique [to my knowledge] is only authentic utilizing the Placidus system...and the method of Astrological analysis that I utilize is, by and large, mostly confined to Chart Axis, House Cusp and Arabic Part Symbolic interpretation...I find THAT area of Astrology THE most fascinating one!

Well that's quite an unusual method of delineation of chart using sabian symbols like this.
As an Equal House system Astrologer then I can confirm devotely that Equal house is prob one, if not the oldest and most reliable and most traditional of house systems.

As we are talking here of just House systems and not your favorite most fascinating one using Arabic parts, I'll just take it that you prefer Placidus and I prefer Equal house......:D

Last edited by a moderator:

piercethevale

astrologer50 said:
Go with Equal house hon..... i teach, lecture and public speak and to me it just works.

Do your own research, see what fits for you and when your comfortable, just stick with it.:D

...As you do a lot of communicating have you looked up the Sabian Symbols for your 3rd house using both Placidus and Equal House systems? Does one symbol make more sense as to who you are as a communicator over the other? ...and what of the other systems?
As I said, I find that the Placidus works in this type of analysis. It is Rudhyarian and I realize a great many Astrologers either don't believe in Rudhyars' methods and observations, haven't heard of Rudhyar or just don't believe he is credible.
I don't concern myself so deeply with planetary aspects and house placements as they give indications of psychological strengths and weaknesses...I'm more concerned with life purpose and direction. That is what Sabian Symbolic Chart axis and House Cusp analysis interprets.
Not unlike some 'Top Sargeant' in the military who might say: "I don't care what your personal problems are soldier, you have a mission to perform!"
...don't take me wrong. I'm not some insensitive clod [I do have an Aquarian Moon] but I am Taurus with a Scorpio asc...Kind of a tough love individual.

OM Shanti. ptv:)

piercethevale

[NOTE: This Post was originally in reply to a post by Astrologer 50 which she has since deleted. I am leaving my reply pretty much intact as I believe it still to be relevant to the primary question first posed by Gesso. Thank you, ptv]:sunny:

Quote Gesso, whom started this thread:

"ANY ideas on how i can narrow this down? What should i do? just pick one and use it and who cares? It would seem placidus is out though(Imo..it doesnt really work with me). I would really prefer there to be accuracy here or else why do it? This has seriously led me to so much frustration"

..and I gave Gesso an IDEA...

...And oh, yes, Rudhyar did promote the Campanus House system, but this is an area in which I divert from Rudhyar. As I am trying to illustrate here; I believe a sort of 'rectification' can be made symbolically utilizing the Sabian Symbols.
I've studied many charts of people, I'm more intimately involved with, and it took many a day and or evening of talking, one on one with said person to come to the conclusion that the Placidus system works with House Cusp Sabian Symbolic interpretation.
There are far too many systems in use and far too many Astrologers that each swear by their system for anyone of us to claim to have conclusive evidence...and I'm not claiming that Placidus is conclusive for all mehods of analysis...although I am convinced, until convinced otherwise, that Placidus is the one system that will work in certain types of analysis...of which house cusp symbology is one.

Last edited:

rogue_red

piercethevale said:

That is a very interesting approach. Well done:)
Being that astrology is an art and there are NO hard and fast rules especially regarding house systems we have to decide for ourselves what system best suits us based on accuracy of interpretation, locational issues and what it is you want from your chart as peircetheveil has done by using a system the provides him with the purpose and direction whereas for others, this may not be their direction. I think that the most important thing to remember is that no one, NO SINGLE PERSON has the truth or do we know if there is even a single truth for this so we must respect each others points of veiw as being their truth and just as valid as ours.:)

Again then, we are not talking about house interpretations like sabian symbols, BUT house systems.... If that's your area of expertise... good for you.

It befalls all of us to study, research and analyse our charts and others and I for one am always learning, developing, integrating matters.

Unequal houses although popular are not always accurate in natal chart interpretations, cos with Equal house all it means is that certain planets will move from one house to another. At which point you either will or will not be able to identify yourself with another houses interpretation of how that planets energy functions..

Example: I have 3planets in taurus in 4th plus moon in 3rd, in placidus they all move to 2nd house, which is totally, and wholly unacceptable for myself. Second house matters, ie; earning your own income, Moon emotionally, sun, ego/pride, venus, pleasure and mercury, communications. All these planets function in my home roots, family matters... sometimes i wish they didn't cos that's where ALL my energies go out from and come into in my chart.

I have 15+years off work to bring my family up, then only worked part time, or bits of self employment (mars in 5th) and have no burning desire to earn my own income, buy property, keep rehashing my belief systems, cos i'm happy with what i've got.

So if anyone who uses Placidus wants to interpret/explain to me how all these function in 2nd house instead of 4th feel free......