Signs of drug/alcohol addiction in chart

I agree with 12th house positions. There is something unearthed about a loaded 12th. As though the native's relationship to reality is somewhat feeble and so an intoxicated state can be the only comforting, comfortable approach. Kind of like: meet the surrealism of existence with internal surrealism. Altered states of the poet, dreamer, "saint" I actually wonder how one could navigate 12th house experiences soberly. It's the rightful house of toxins and dependency...maybe that is part of the path here? Ultimately surviving and triumphing but nonetheless being marked by addiction, your own or others??

demetraceres

I always considered Sun - Neptune hard aspects as general indicators for possible substance addiction. Angular Neptune maybe as well. Am I wrong?

Reading this thread I've realized I am the main candidate for addiction: I have Mars - Neptune opposition (Neptune in Saggitarius), Moon-Chiron square, Uranus-Chiron opposition.

I wouldn't call myself an addict. I've tried some alcohol, smoking, even some marihuana in my youth, but I am very sensitive to any aggressive substances and I quitted it very quickly. I can't even stand aggressive substances in food.

It's easier to me to quit something than dwell on something. Except reading. Probably I am a book addict. Could become an internet addict as well, But today there are so many inventions of addictive behaviour, that anyone can be diagnosed with some addiction.

MaybeNow

There is something unearthed about a loaded 12th. As though the native's relationship to reality is somewhat feeble and so an intoxicated state can be the only comforting, comfortable approach.
Friend has Venus conj Jupiter in Aquarius in the 12th. Good aspect in an air sign wouldn't seem to be a problem. Or is it? He likes to drink but I don't know if he has a problem. He takes handfuls of vitamin supplements but don't know about other drugs.

Well there you have the two benefics in the 12th house (venus and jup) and that is a different kettle of fish. Kind of like someone who is protected from THE WORST things in the world from happening to them by "lucky" breaks at the last minute but conversely is also someone who is a little gloomy because their light is his under a bushel there in the murky 12th. Those planets in the 12th don't really indicate addiction to me so much as deep insecurity and/or a very private person.

***i should have clarified I start to see a deeper psychological maze when any personal planet other than venus is in the 12th along side outer planet(s). That starts to indicate that the native will be very familiar with themes of sorrow, addiction, abandonment, and general confusion around solar direction.

MaybeNow

Well there you have the two benefics in the 12th house (venus and jup) and that is a different kettle of fish. Kind of like someone who is protected from THE WORST things in the world from happening to them by "lucky" breaks at the last minute but conversely is also someone who is a little gloomy because their light is his under a bushel there in the murky 12th. Those planets in the 12th don't really indicate addiction to me so much as deep insecurity and/or a very private person.
That's good to know. Very true about the insecurity and gloomy parts. Thanks!