How to find Midpoints?

VirgoLife

How do I find them? Confused. I hear people say they have Venus between their Mercury and Mars midpoint or Sun between the Jupiter/Pluto one. How could I find these midpoints or know where they are there? :sideways:

wan

Google "astrology mid-point calculator". You will find calculators that calculate the midpoints for you.

VirgoLife

It says I have a Jupiter Pluto midpoint in Capricorn 9th house, but it doesn't tell me the planet it should be "activated" by?

VirgoLife

On Astroseek, I think I found the activated planet, but note sure. Here is one:

Activated
by Birth planet Aspect BirthPlanet Orb
Ascendant/MC Con (0°) Neptune 0°30’

What's going on there?

CapAquaPis

I do know my Midpoint based on my Sun conjunct Moon in Aquarius is 23' as the sun is in 26' and the moon in 20'. I believe the Midpoint between sun and moon is ruled by Virgo, it's understandable because the summer signs like Leo rule the sun and Cancer rule the moon. Leo/Sun=father, Cancer/Moon=mother and Virgo=fertility and birth, they are also conjunct my south node in 29' cusp Aquarius-Pisces (in my 8th house).

Osamenor

Staff member
A planet activates a midpoint if it's in conjunction, square, or opposition to the midpoint. To see if you have a planet activating your Jupiter/Pluto midpoint, check to see what degree of Capricorn it's at. Then look at your chart. Is there a planet at approximately that degree of Capricorn, Cancer, Aries, or Libra?

If yes, that planet activates your Jupiter/Pluto midpoint. If you have more than one planet in the right place, they all do. If you don't have any planets in the right place, you don't have a natal planet activating your Jupiter/Pluto midpoint, but you get that midpoint activated by transit whenever a planet transits that degree of Capricorn, Cancer, Aries, or Libra.

You can also have your midpoints activated by synastry. If another person's chart has a planet in conjunction, square, or opposition to one of your midpoints, and you have a relationship (romantic, familial, or platonic) with that other person, they activate that midpoint for you. Planets that activate each other's midpoints are one way people can be astrologically compatible: if you have a midpoint that isn't activated by any of your planets but is activated by another person's planet(s), they bring that part of your chart out in you.

Last edited:

waybread

There is a free midpoint calculator at Astrodienst on their chart construction pages. For some reason it's on their Pullen menu so you have to locate that (next to their normal circular charts menu) and then scroll down.

I recommend a super-narrow orb for midpoints. They don't actually exist up in the sky so they don't cast any light.

In a pinch you can calculate midpoints by hand. It's a pain in the patootie, but it works. It's what astrologers did prior to Internet programs.

1. Convert your horoscope to a 360-degree wheel.

2. Locate your planets by degrees in that system. For example:
(a) Aries starts at 0 degrees

(b) Taurus starts at 30 degrees..... and so on.

(c) Pisces starts at 330 degrees.

3. Add the number of degrees that start the sign to the number of degrees within that sign. For example, Gemini will start at 60 degrees, so 5 degrees Gemini is 65 degrees. 22 degrees Aquarius is 300+22=322 degrees.

4. Take your planetary pairs. Add up their numbers. Divide by two. Convert back to normal signs. To use the previous example, 65 degrees plus 322=387. 387/2=193.5. Libra starts at 180 degrees. So the midpoint is (193.5-180 =13.5) 13 degrees 30' Libra. [We use minutes and seconds rather than decimals.]

Note that every planetary pair has two midpoints. Normally we use the near one, but in the previous example, 13 Aries 30' (180 degrees from 13 Libra 30') would be the far midpoint. They are worth considering, in that an exact opposition to a near midpoint would conjunct the far midpoint.

Anyway, feel free to check my arithmetic. Hopefully you get the idea.

I am a bit more cautious than Osamenor on using midpoints beyond the conjunction and opposition. It's too easy to fill up the chart with a lot of data points; of which there is no end once we start adding midpoints, asteroids, Arabic parts, fixed stars, &c. A horoscope is infinitely complex but I start with major patterns.

Last edited: