Burning stationary fire ball 17 to 18 years ago.

Hollowwarz

Hi, lets just call me allen. When i was a kid i saw something i couldnt explain in the sky. It wasnt a ufo. But i cant find a image of what i saw online. It looked as if the moon itself was huge and on fire. Almost like a close up view of the sun. The middle was red or possibly orange. ( memories kinda faded ) while the outside looked like there was fire coming off in all direction's. I remember this scared me, (as i was 6 or 7) and i ran away to tell my parents. They told me there was nothing out there and to go play. ( tho they didn't even go out to look!) This event would have been around 8 or 9 o clock over the kentucky sky, mid summer. around 17 to 18 years ago. Any information would be helpful. And please send links if u can find a image or information.

Osamenor

Staff member
Did it look anything like this?

Or this?

Most likely, you saw a meteor. A big one burning up as it enters the atmosphere can look like what you're describing. And it sounds like you were only looking at it a few minutes. If it was a meteor, it would have been moving, but they don't always move very fast to our eyes. It could have appeared stationary.