Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Unread 05-29-2020, 07:16 PM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 25,120
Smile Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Looking at astrology from a "scientific", meaning modern scientific perspective, is like looking at one's parent through the eyes of a child.

Reply With Quote
  #152  
Unread 05-29-2020, 07:40 PM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 25,120
Smile Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
*
ASTROLOGY FROM A SCIENTIFIC POINT OF VIEW

the following is for scientists

Sharon Knight on Traditional Predictive Astrology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMGpvkYNU8
Almost 1 and 1/2 hour of a meandering lecture! "Scientists" must have no need for brevity!
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Unread 05-29-2020, 08:27 PM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 25,120
Smile Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

The science of astrology is about correlation.

Modern-science is about causation.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Unread 05-29-2020, 10:38 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61,033
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

Traditional astrology was nearly extinct before Modern astrology came along.
WESTERN traditional astrology is not the sole form of astrology

There is more than one form of astrology
for example
India considers Vedic astrology a Science

there is also:

Chinese Astrology
Tibetan Astrology
Mayan Astrology
Ancient Mesopotamian Babylonian Astrology hhttps://www.babylonianastrology.com/
Sidereal Astrology https://solunars.com/

WESTERN traditional astrology was not PUBLICLY practiced
because it was declared ILLEGAL
as has been stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post


People still marry for status, money and stability. Courtly love & romance driven relationships have existed long before the current day, and the fact that traditional ideas still have a foothold in the current day shows the adaptability and fitness of them. There survival into the current day is a testament to that fact that either we haven't evolved as much as some believe, or that the ideas themselves are still alive and relevant for the current day human, despite the supposed evolutionary steps that have been taken from "back then" until now.
Modern astrology didn't come about because traditional philosophies and techniques were outdated per se (neoplatonism, atomism, stoicism are all philosophies that are popular and have lively followings today), but the time of its transformation came about on the heals of the enlightenment, Darwin's theory of evolution and the emergence of psychology as an independent branch of scientific study. An important change to the subject came about when Alan Leo was on trial for his astrological predictions and had to morph astrology into a new form in order to avoid the law. This opened the door to the marrying of psychology with astrology. Sun sign astrology apparently came about in the 1930s as a result of pressures from a newspaper to create a simplified astrology for the masses. Both instances can be referred to as "evolutions" in that both innovations came as a result of the changing environment and adaptation in order to survive. It can be argued whether evolution is in a never ending upward trajectory.

There are multiple forms of astrology
for example
Vedic astrology
Chinese Astrology
Tibetan Astrology
Mayan Astrology
Ancient Mesopotamian Babylonian Astrology hhttps://www.babylonianastrology.com/
Sidereal Astrology https://solunars.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

Modern materialistic scientists refuse to accept any version of astrology
as having merit, based on the precepts of the Scientific Method.
those "modern materialsitc scientists" have not posted their opinions on this thread
and none of those "modern materialistic scientists" can explain gravity
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Unread 05-29-2020, 10:40 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61,033
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

How objective is your observation?
And, why haven't Traditional astrologers
been able to pass the test from a modern-scientific point of view?
four modernist astrologers were asked to delineate

the chart of John Wayne Gacy
but not told whose chart it was

i.e.

To assess astrology accuracy
a member of Kansas City Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (KCCSI)
approached four modernist astrologers
posing as man interested in working with young people
and gave each astrologer the birth data of John Wayne Gacy
instead of his own
- plus a computerized natal chart from a company internationally recognized for accuracy (Neil F.Michelsen)
- and asked for their advice.

QUOTE:

Four Modern Astrologers said Serial Killer John Wayne Gacy:

(1) "…can be very good with kids..."
(2) "...just your presence would be beneficial to other people..."
(3)"...a fairly well-rounded personality...you can offer a good role model..."
(4)"You have an instinctive awareness and your uninhibited response to life
can refresh and gladden whomever you encounter."

The four modern astrologers unanimously encouraged him to pursue youth work
and none saw any problem with this.
Gacy was selected
because his chart should portray a clear picture of a sadistic sexually motivated killer



IN CONTRAST

...Traditional Astrology Says:

"...shows a strange mind and very wicked."


John Wayne Gacy, Jr. 17 March 1942 – May 10, 1994 was an American serial killer
and rapist, also known as the Killer Clown, who was convicted
of the sexual assault and murder of a minimum of 33 teenage boys
and young men in a series of killings
committed between 1972 and 1978 in Chicago, Illinois.
All of Gacy's known murders were
committed inside his Norwood Park home, victims typically lured to this address
by force/deceptiveness, all but one victim
murdered by asphyxiation/ strangulation with a tourniquet
- first victim stabbed to death


Gacy buried 26 victims in the crawl space of his home;
three victims were buried elsewhere on his property
bodies of last four known victims were discarded in Des Plaines River.
Convicted of 33 murders, Gacy was sentenced to death
for 12 of these killings 13 March 1980 then
spent 14 years on death row
before being executed by lethal injection at Stateville Correctional Center 10 May 1994.


Gacy known as the "Killer Clown" due to his charitable services
at fundraising events, parades and children's parties
where he would dress as "Pogo the Clown", a character he devised himself


by the way
- each of these four modernist astrologers is named in the study


John Sandbach, a nationally known astrologer

who has authored six books, advised
not to 'become weighed down with regrets
about how you could have done more in some past situation,'
describing a 'plasticity or lack of aggression' in the chart,
encouraging him to work with young people
because he could 'bring out their best qualities.'


Randy Goodman told the substitute Gacy
that he was 'really born to serve people.'
He stated that 'In the past you have used your energies very well, so therefore
in this life you have a lot to contribute, and
... your life will be very, very positive.'


Norma Knight described him as 'a very, very sensitive person.'

Asked whether youth ministry would provide suitable employment, she replied
'I think that you can be very good with kids
and that it might be a good medium for you to learn
to be more trusting in the giving and receiving.'


Beverly Farrel, 'internationally recognized author, lecturer
teacher of religion, metaphysics, astrology, psychic awareness'
with '30 years experience in field of (the) paranormal'
encouraged the man behind the chart to do youth work, because
'when you're working with young people
you're not gonna have a lot of heavy-duty problems.'


The results indicate that modernist astrologers cannot read a persons character
from the positions of the planets at the moment of birth
nor can modernist astrologers see into anyone's past or future
nor do they seem to possess any insights other than
the ability to impress their clientele

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Unread 05-29-2020, 10:42 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61,033
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post


It would take more than
what a skeptic would consider a lucky guess
in one single case
to prove astrology works.
Obviously - since that skeptic
is unfamiliar with traditional ancient astrological texts
having neither read nor studied traditional astrological ancient texts
and would not know whether "astrology works" or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

How objective is your observation?
Quite
Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

Any other examples?
a skeptic such as yourself
who has neither read nor studied any traditional texts
has debateable objectivity of observation
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Unread 05-29-2020, 10:49 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61,033
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonkat235 View Post
I definitely think you can approach astrology using the scientific method, and by formulating hypotheses about certain facets of astrological concepts and ideas. It's like with any large branch of knowledge (history, medicine, language, etc.). We don't know everything, so we have to keep digging and searching and experiencing or experimenting. At least that's how I think about it.

I guess I struggle a bit when I really think about the definition of science, rather than the connotations we generally have. First thought that popped into my mind was physics and then medicine was next, but these are just aspects of 'science' rather than 'science' itself, imo. I almost want to define the term 'science' as more of an approach, like 'science' is actually the attempt to explain the universe systematically. I'm not sure I'm explaining this all that well... lol Anyway, if I think of a better way to articulate my thoughts, I'll make another post.

I think astrologers study and approach the physical and natural world through the use of observation and experimentation. I figure astrology is meant to be a system, a set of interconnecting parts working together to offer an explanation of the observable and shared reality.

(Sometimes, I think words and language in general have so many connotations that it's necessary to give some definitions so there's less room for miscommunication.)

The definitions I'm using are from google's dictionary. lol

Science: the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Scientific Method: a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

Hypothesis: a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

System: a set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network.
Middle English (denoting knowledge): from Old French, from Latin scientia
from scire ‘know’.

In 1834, Cambridge University historian and philosopher of science
William Whewell coined the term "scientist"
to replace such terms as "cultivators of science."

science (n.)mid-14c. "what is known, knowledge (of something) acquired by study; information;"
also
"assurance of knowledge, certitude, certainty,"
from Old French science "knowledge, learning, application; corpus of human knowledge"

(12c.), from Latin scientia "knowledge, a knowing; expertness,"
from sciens (genitive scientis) "intelligent, skilled," present participle of scire "to know,"
probably originally "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish,"
related to scindere "to cut, divide," from PIE root *skei- "to cut, split"
(source also of Greek skhizein "to split, rend, cleave,"
Gothic skaidan, Old English sceadan "to divide, separate").

From late 14c. in English as "book-learning,"
also
"a particular branch of knowledge or of learning;"
also
"skillfulness, cleverness; craftiness."

From c. 1400 as "experiential knowledge;"
also
"a skill, handicraft; a trade."

From late 14c. as "collective human knowledge"
(especially that gained by systematic observation, experiment, and reasoning).

Modern (restricted) sense of
"body of regular or methodical observations or propositions
concerning a particular subject or speculation"
is attested from 1725; in 17c.-18c.
this concept commonly was called philosophy.

Sense of "non-arts studies" is attested from 1670s.
Science, since people must do it, is a socially embedded activity.
It progresses by hunch, vision, and intuition.
Much of its change through time does not record a closer approach to absolute truth
but the alteration of cultural contexts that influence it so strongly.
Facts are not pure and unsullied bits of information;
culture also influences what we see and how we see it.
Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts.
The most creative theories are often imaginative visions imposed upon facts;
the source of imagination is also strongly cultural.
Stephen Jay Gould introduction to "The Mismeasure of Man," 1981
In science you must not talk before you know.
In art you must not talk before you do.
In literature you must not talk before you think.
John Ruskin "The Eagle's Nest," 1872
The distinction is commonly understood as
between theoretical truth (Greek epistemē)
and
methods for effecting practical results (tekhnē)
but science sometimes is used for practical applications
and art for applications of skill.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Unread 05-29-2020, 10:52 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61,033
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

The scientific method is drilled into us from very early on
and we are absolutely unaware
of the degree to which this influences our mode of perception and thought.
As I am easy to live with and undemanding,

I would settle for "reasonable" or "logical" in lieu of "scientific".

I use "scientific method" in the loosest way here
.
The OP however simply refers to "a scientific point of view"
AND NOT to a "reasonable" or "logical" point of view

obviously you are entitled to an opinion
that is from your perspective "reasonable" or "logical"
just as others are entitled to their opinion
which from their perspective is "reasonable" or "logical"

fact is you just said
and I quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

Here's a true story.

I'm an old cab driver.
and so

admittedly you are not a scientist

however
anyone is entitled to self-style as an astrologer
because no qualifications are required for western-style astrological practice


clearly therefore
if one is not a scientist
then
not unexpectedly
others who are more qualified relative to science
are entitled to challenge ones amateur opinions
in particular

ours is an AMATEUR astrological online learning forum
and not a forum populated by multitudes of experts
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Unread 05-29-2020, 10:53 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61,033
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese View Post

Maybe I get you wrong, but from what I have read from you so far,
it seems like you take a practice humankind has been involved in for millennia,
and appoint yourself for a position
to decide what to keep and what to discard,
based on your preferred theoretical framework, which you call "scientific".

The OP requests opinion on "astrology from a scientific point of view"
therfore
not unexpectedly
the responder offers their opinion

one may disagree with that opinion
however
everyone - including yourself

is entitled to a personal perspective
as to what comprises "scientific"

the fact that your opinion differs

from that of another member
does not nullify the opinion of that member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese View Post

And then there are those of us who think that we, human beings,
are not in the position to form a comprehensive theory about astrology
(or the universe), that we don't have an all-embracing eye
or an all-encompassing mind. And we are arrogant?
and then there are those of us who have an opposite opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese View Post

There are different ways of knowing.
You do not need a PhD in plant biology to be a good gardener.
And some biologists cannot keep a house plant alive for more than a month,
no matter that they do everything by the book (an acquaintance of mine).
Quite
however "scientific knowing" is the topic of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese View Post

Also, most scientists I know
there are tens of millions of "scientists"
all of whom frequently argue and oppose each others theories
no one has met with
nor debated with
all "scientists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese View Post

do not equate "scientific" with "true" and/or "real".
They consider
that the scientific approach has its scope and its limits.
Some of what is true and real
can be known via scientific methods, others not.
For example, I know for a fact
that a team member at the LHC (Large Hadron Collider)
is a practicing Catholic (we went to the same university),
and it doesn't cause him any problems.
clearly you personally are NOT "on the team working on the Large Hadron Collider"
instead you are a psychologist
and psychology is not "a science"
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...er/?redirect=1

furthermore
even if one went to the same university
as a practising Catholic who is working on the Large Hadron Collider
so did thousands of others

and
the practicing Catholic working on the Large Hadron Collider team
must earn a living
and
is paid for their services
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Unread 05-29-2020, 10:55 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61,033
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese View Post


1. I am not a psychologist.
Thanks for the clarification
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Unread 05-29-2020, 10:56 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61,033
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post


It's my opinion

That the stars show the state of the universe at any given moment, and that a person born at that moment IS that moment.
When it is understood that the universe is One...

The modern scientific mind is atomistic, divisive, separative.
Astrology is holistic, unifying, integrative.
Astrologers all differ regarding their opinions on astrology


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini888 View Post
I'm studying for a Master Degree, and part of my study at school is to think critically and I have to do scientific research everyday. I'm also an avid reader of science books.


At the same time, I practice astrology and Tarot, quite shamelessly.


Before we can talk about "astrology in a scientific way", should we ask this first? "Can we look at astrology with scientific eyes?"


There have been attempts to "scientifically explain" astrology, but so far none has been successful. The biggest reason is that all the scientists were operating at the place of doubt. They were doing it with the ultimate aim to prove that astrology was a fraud. They jumped into research without much knowledge of astrology as a whole. Some of them even relied on Sun signs believers. So much of the "results" contradicts each other. The Universe does not support anyone who seeks for the "truth" with the purpose of proclaiming superior over others.


At the same time, we have Carl Jung, a pioneer psychologist and devoted astrologer. Jung was unable to prove the consistent connection between science and astrology (read here for more) One reason was that he was too ashamed of his devotion to astrology in front of his "scientific" community. Jung based much of his pioneer discovery on astrology, but he didn't have enough courage to admit the devotion.


So while we wait for someone knowledgeable enough to connect the dots for us, why don't we ask ourselves if we can somehow combine a scientific and an astrological mind together?


For me personally, science and astrology complement each other. My knowledge of psychology has enabled me to make sense of charts, and astrology further expand my knowledge of psychology.


So in the end, what is the point of explaining astrology if you aren't a skeptic? Does it bother me that I can't explain astrology using science? Probably not, because I'm already combining the two forces nicely

here's a scientific opinion from a scientist

Physicist Richard Feynman
explains
the scientific and unscientific methods of understanding nature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPapE-3FRw
Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

Traditional is far more inclined to doom and gloom than Modern.
on the contrary
traditional astrology is realistic concerning life's circumstances

*
ASTROLOGY FROM A SCIENTIFIC POINT OF VIEW

the following is for scientists

Sharon Knight on Traditional Predictive Astrology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMGpvkYNU8
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Unread 06-01-2020, 10:01 PM
OuterPlanets89 OuterPlanets89 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 79
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

You can't justify Astrology in a modern/Western epistemological view. The issue with that is that people usually take that statement as a way to further invalidate Astrology, when most people fail to recognize that modern science is filled with limitations, epistemologically speaking.

I view the modern scientific empiricist/reductionist method of "acquiring knowledge" as a mix of 3rd and 6th house approaches - which we can look to the opposite houses (9th and 12th) for the psycho-social roots behind this hardline skepticism. European thought grew as an opposition to the dogmatic church, creating a black/white binary of science vs faith, when the two should and can both play a role in furthering thought in society. Much of Indian philosophical thought for example, was not based on this categorical, binary thinking. But due to colonialism/globalism, this approach to science has become the barometer for "truth," and people will suffer for it.

- 3rd H (micro-knowledge) + 6th H (discriminating)
- 9th H (macro-knowledge) + 12th H (connecting)

You can approach Astrology scientifically however - if you were to simply look into the coordinates/numbers and their relationships. But once you bring in psychology, energies, causality and events, there is some degree amount of "suspension of disbelief" you have to employ -- but that term in itself is biased towards modern science to begin with
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Unread 06-02-2020, 12:44 PM
petosiris petosiris is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,529
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Science is the pursuit of material truth. The foundations of modern science were placed by Bible-believing Christians. The only problems in science are those mixed with philosophical naturalism and pseudoscientific methodologies related to it.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Unread 06-10-2020, 05:57 AM
CapAquaPis's Avatar
CapAquaPis CapAquaPis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ...in the sidereal astrological system.
Posts: 2,897
Post Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Scientifically speaking, can one point to a certain planetary alignment or conjunction to predict a cyclical event like a pandemic? The late French astrologer Andre Barbault in 2011 foretold a pandemic in the 2019-21 period, based on his analysis on the ephemeris of 1890-91 ("Russian" Flu), 1917-19 ("Spanish" Flu), 1956-57 ("Asian" Flu), 1968-69 ("Hong Kong" Flu), 1981-82 (HIV/AIDS) and 2009-10 (Swine Flu). Interestingly, Barbault died in Oct 2019 not long before the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan, China to later become a pandemic like his prediction stated...in 2020. I can include SARS in 2003 and MERS in 2012 which are other coronaviruses but didn't become pandemics. Barbault pointed to the Jupiter/Saturn/Pluto trio in Capricorn (previously Jupiter in its ruler sign Sagittarius) then adding Neptune in Pisces and later this year Mars in Aries then to conjunct Uranus in Taurus indicate a new viral pandemic.
__________________
or , I have the same ruling planets: Uranus and Saturn. I see the Cancer rising. Aries in the MC and Venus was her name!

Last edited by CapAquaPis; 06-10-2020 at 06:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Unread 06-10-2020, 07:34 AM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 25,120
Smile Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

In answer to the thread question, the answer is, yes you can....but, best keep it to yourself lest you get hooted out of your science class!

Last edited by david starling; 06-10-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Unread 06-19-2020, 11:06 AM
Andrea_'s Avatar
Andrea_ Andrea_ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: fully tired of dry facts. Also, I live in a cupboard
Posts: 161
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

One of the barriers to looking at astrology scientifically, at least to me, is the fact that it does not seem to always account for celestial dynamics, or the "updated" versions are sometimes considered fringe astrology.

What updating means is, the fact that our planet in the milky way as well as in the galaxy, along with other stars and star systems, have changed position over millennia. Objects in the galaxy move at great but different speeds, and sometimes they move away from each other. While this typically happens over very large periods of time, hardly observable to our young species who only recently started seeing further than Pluto, one would expect the Art of unseen celestial forces to take into account such astronomical dynamics and provide interpretations for them too, with their effects on individuals. Some sites list the different degrees fixed stars have today for example, compared to 2000 years ago, but not much else.

Hipparchus (BC greek astronomer/astrologist) noticed stars change position, although his observations were based on Earth's wobble or the 26.000 procession (earth kinda wobbles at more acute angles and then back up straight in its rotation cycles, due to the magnetic poles... and other reasons).

The second problem is perhaps the amount of generalisation and amateurism, through both are normal among people who start learning something for the first time, and both indicate the need for typologies for a sense of predictability or stability. Reddit for examples specified that they "do not allow topics that generalize or stereotype by sun sign, for example, posting about "Scorpios" or "a Capricorn woman", "signs you have dated," or "air signs" if you mean people.", which I find positive because it's over simplification. We as beings of this universe would probably not manifest such a need for habit if the universe did not have an in-built sort of symmetry, an axis, or would not be able to reach some sort of stability. Everything seems to have a sense of purpose, but there are enough who believe there isn't, and chaos or an infinity of possibilities at any given moment dominate.

One also lacks the explanation of how angles affect individuals specifically. Could it be through some sort of energy signature transmitted through visible light (or at least, through the one that managed to reach us finally), is it through bizarre radiation or sub-atomic particles, is it through what we should call some sort of electro-magnetic corridors that contain the aforementioned?

In Earth's history, supernovae explosions from stars very close to us have scrapped earth's atmosphere through massive radiation emissions (especially gamma) and therefore caused mass extinctions. One would want astrology to provide some tools to predict that, and perhaps this is where the schism with astronomy was created, where pure science picked up this side because otherwise it would get all too complicated. Perhaps, after centuries of trying to reconcile them, it was a good decision to separate and allow freedom of expansion, as astrology was and is quite traditionalist. At the moment, the candidate for a supernova is our "beloved" fixed star Betelgeuse.

The concept of as above so below that astrology is based on still applies, where the same forces of physics, some known and many still unknown to us, create a sort of symmetry on all levels, big and small (hypergiants and atoms). Yet, rules change when sizes, temperatures and different pressures apply, so is there any symmetry at all? There both is and isn't, like the cat experiment, or they both act upon another better said, creating again "symmetry", and this multiplies over and over. If more forces of physics were known to us, we'd probably be able to use and contain inexhaustible or dangerous sources of energy and terraform other planets for example, through I'd like to think we'd use them to advance ourselves in terms of conduct, principles and morals too. Though it's a bit of a stretch, planets could be considered electrons in a way, sun-type stars the nucleus, etc. There are many theories about the nature of our universe still and invisible threads where star clusters and galaxies tend to form according to yet unknown criteria to us. Dark matter is probably not empty at all, but holding "information", and the same is probably true on an atomic level, though I have not read enough to know yet if any discoveries/observations of sub-atomic particles have been successfully applied to interpret and predict or calculate cosmological behaviors... Are there any recent instances in astrophysics where "as above so below" (or as below so above) has been successfully applied and used, and I mean in the last 50 years?

Rather than being siblings, astronomy now is more like a parent to astrology, and the latter updates itself according to astronomical discoveries.

A traditional astrology however is not necessarily bad, in fact, it's desirable to keep open a gate to knowledge from the past and their mannerism.

Last edited by Andrea_; 06-23-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea_ For This Useful Post:
david starling (06-19-2020)
  #167  
Unread 06-19-2020, 11:32 AM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 25,120
Smile Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Both astrology and astronomy were accorded the same Muse, Urania, back when the goddess of the Heavens was actually believed to exist. According to modern-day science, such beliefs are the stuff of fairytales.

Last edited by david starling; 06-19-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Unread 09-13-2020, 01:07 AM
piercethevale's Avatar
piercethevale piercethevale is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alta California
Posts: 8,640
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Hi, I noticed that you tried to send me a p.m. three times. My mailbox is full and I prefer to keep it that way.
You may send me an email at piercethevale@yahoo.com

As to the subject matter of this thread of yours, have you read my thread titled, "A Runic Explanation of the Zodiac"?
Here's the link: https://www.astrologyweekly.com/foru...ic+Explanation
__________________
You Are A Divine Creation Of The Universe
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Unread 09-24-2020, 04:39 AM
Bunraku's Avatar
Bunraku Bunraku is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 5,354
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

No we cannot. Astrology is best looked at when viewed from an unscientific viewpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Unread 09-24-2020, 06:59 AM
piercethevale's Avatar
piercethevale piercethevale is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alta California
Posts: 8,640
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Oh yes we can, but first you have to have people willing to look at it like scientists.
If someone presents any alleged model of proof any scientist worthy of the title would at least take the time to check out that theorem before dismissing it and then at least give some indication of where they find it to be flawed.

That's the problem with this ''science" anybody that reads a basic handbook on traditional astrology believes them self to be an astrologer ...yet ask anyone of them to provide a demonstrative proof of the technique they expound is verace and infallible.

That's Science... to be able to provide demonstrable proof.


...otherwise it ain't sheeeeit.
__________________
You Are A Divine Creation Of The Universe
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Unread 09-24-2020, 10:02 AM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 25,120
Smile Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Modern Science has pretty much co-opted the word "science", which originally meant "knowledge", claiming that it applies only to its own "scientfic-method" school of thought.

As a body of knowledge, astrology has its own type of science, within its own school of thought.

Last edited by david starling; 09-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Unread 09-24-2020, 10:07 AM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 25,120
Smile Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

The real question is:

Can we look at Modern Science from an astrological point of view?
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Unread 09-25-2020, 01:55 AM
piercethevale's Avatar
piercethevale piercethevale is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alta California
Posts: 8,640
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
The real question is:

Can we look at Modern Science from an astrological point of view?
I disagree. I believe the question is whether Astrology is a science or not.
...and I believe, as Dane Rudhyar once wrote that [it will eventually be proven] Astrology is not only a science, it is the mother of all science.
__________________
You Are A Divine Creation Of The Universe
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Unread 09-25-2020, 07:04 AM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 25,120
Smile Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

"Modern Science" as it's come to be known, is a temporal and temporary phenomenon.
Astrology is eternal.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
piercethevale (09-25-2020)
  #175  
Unread 09-25-2020, 08:20 AM
piercethevale's Avatar
piercethevale piercethevale is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alta California
Posts: 8,640
Re: Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
"Modern Science" as it's come to be known, is a temporal and temporary phenomenon.
Astrology is eternal.
Right on
__________________
You Are A Divine Creation Of The Universe
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piercethevale For This Useful Post:
david starling (09-25-2020)
Reply

Tags
astrology, point, scientific, view

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.