random thought for the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

noraleader

Banned
i like to read these kinds of threads in various forums as they catch and invite considerations not quite worth an entire post.. whichever topic i study, as an advocate kind of person, i do like insight into the community around a topic.. good erudition :)

of course thoughts would be something you generally feel an community of persons interested in astrology might find worth reading, but each of our estimations of this is likely to vary...

..here's my hazy morning thought for the day...

a short while ago i heard a bit by sadhguru about the personal intensity of yogis being perceived as anger.. his thought was that it takes intensity to actuate the step past the sixth chakra, and that for many yogis this appears as anger to persons who are in other stages of awareness. hmm.

the mockingbird around here likes to do this bit about saying "peanut butter" repeatedly as fast as you can as a gauge of anger, or intensity. if you crash and burn after a few times, you're not angry or intense. if you can pronounce it precisely several times rapidly then you are intensely focused.

i thought it was kind of interesting, not really worth a thread, ... i mean, how often do people think, "hmm, am i really angry, i'd better perform a test to find out.."

maybe performing the test is a way of switching from anger to objective intensity? ;)

JUPITERASC

i like to read these kinds of threads in various forums as they catch and invite considerations not quite worth an entire post.. whichever topic i study, as an advocate kind of person, i do like insight into the community around a topic.. good erudition :)

of course thoughts would be something you generally feel an community of persons interested in astrology might find worth reading, but each of our estimations of this is likely to vary...

..here's my hazy morning thought for the day...

a short while ago i heard a bit by sadhguru about the personal intensity of yogis being perceived as anger.. his thought was that it takes intensity to actuate the step past the sixth chakra, and that for many yogis this appears as anger to persons who are in other stages of awareness. hmm.

the mockingbird around here likes to do this bit about saying "peanut butter" repeatedly as fast as you can as a gauge of anger, or intensity. if you crash and burn after a few times, you're not angry or intense. if you can pronounce it precisely several times rapidly then you are intensely focused.

i thought it was kind of interesting, not really worth a thread, ... i mean, how often do people think, "hmm, am i really angry, i'd better perform a test to find out.."

maybe performing the test is a way of switching from anger to objective intensity? ;)

Grounded advice re: ANGER from Ajahn Brahm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7Wm5LOpx0 :smile:

noraleader

Banned
two techniques for self awareness, self improvement.. these are kind of "obvious things", when you focus on them and start using them, they can be really beneficial. of course, all self improvement is based on self observation, and i suppose we all like to think we "do that," but drift off from time to time.. when you start "discretising self observation techniques," your quantification of results can be more "productive" ...

1) face!

we use facial expression with others to communicate, so why use it when one is alone? it give you wrinkles! cultivating consciousness of your facial expression when alone, and defaulting to a blank expression not only reduces "character lines" that aggregate with the passing years, giving you a younger, silkier appearance (har har) but does that helpful "wow, i just noticed i was feeling ______" thing.. self observation, self awareness.. stops you from getting carried away...

2) language!

of course this is so much more nto worth mentioning, because we always think we pay attention to the way we articulate ourselves.. except.. do we??! :) i think it is a constant application to nurture awareness of precisely how we are expressing ourselves and how this affects our self image and thoughts in general..

for instance, so obvious, to use absolutes when we describe our habits.. "i always do this..." if you say it like that, then you are making a concrete statement.. try rephrasing yourself to be less condemning.. even "i have always done this" at least frees up future possibilities..

personally, i generally avoid making any declaratives about my manner or nature like the plague.. this reduces the solidity of my self image and makes it kind of easier to be or do things i don't think of myself as bing or doing..

another obvious way to improve your life experience is to stop recirculating bad energy.. quit with the "d@mn it" and the "hell" and stop painting your life in such graphic colours..

one of my favourite notes on verbal expression.. avoid "conflict" words like but, although, yet, however.. this allows two ideas to sit side by side without overt schism, and perhaps allows one to appreciate the harmony in life more... example..

"i saw the ball, but i didn't catch it"

vs.

"i saw the ball, i didn't catch it"

the first of these is like "aaaaauuuuuggghh" it is an emphatic failure, where maybe the failure isn't the most important part of the statement.. it's all relative of course.. but the second phrasing is more open to an acceptance of complexity.. maybe you didn't catch it because something else was happening.. as said, it puts two concepts in adjunct, without an implicit conflict, takes away all the unnecessary things and makes expression clean and minimalist.. lecorbusier :)

of course, this may seem nonsensical and pointless if you try it i think you will find it does lead to some interesting observations about our selves.. :)

..here's another word i am virgo about kicking out.. "just" - it never really means anything. no one is "just" doing something, we are doing something or we are not doing something... about the only time i say "just" now is when sneaking in an intimation that something is just or unjust :) really a pointless word..

noraleader

Banned
don't know if this is sacreligious around here... thoughts on probability ;)

i was introduced to the concept of "synchronicity" at an early age and have spent many years observing it.. i also have done a lot of "procedural programming" which generates "random numbers" (no such thing..) then uses them to shape things..

..i'm kind of indifferent to the concept of synchronicity because of how i perceive things.. (at a moderately advanced age) sure, it can be influential.. sure, it can be meaningless.. either way is fine with me, being noncommittal i think is the more prudent vantage ;) "remain flexible.." :p

to say this a different way, i have seen "randomness" or synchronicity do some uncannily remarkable things... scary things even.. i've also seen very precise things be meaningless... only i think experience can give a sense of this, and that takes time.. to me, i look for meaning within, not within external events..

people looking for quick answers don't always have time, so i thought i'd write a bit on probability for amusement :)

..in "what i guess is modern astrology" (i'm easy.. reference is so arbitrary..) we have... sun moon venus mercury mars jupiter saturn uranus neptune pluto ascendant as "the most common points any novice reads about in their astro column" so that's 11 objects..

to consider the chance of there being a conjunct within 1 degree of another object..

2 / 360 = .0055555(5 into infinity) or 0.55555%

(it's "2" because 1 degree on each side)

so given one object, we have 10 other objects that could possibly fall in this range, so we have ten chances, so we have a 5.55% chance of a 1 degree conjunct on a chart with 11 objects.

seeing how probability works, 1 in 18 isn't really bad odds. life isn't always statistically driven, and god knows, when considering the retrograde motion of planets from earth's perspective, it may change those odds some.

increasing the range increases the probability, if we consider a conjunction within three degrees, there's a 16.6% chance of seeing that in our chart, or 1 in 6.

also considering that most charts mark septiles, trines, oppositions, and squares (but not sesquisquares on many charts for some reason) that's four more chances, or five (including conjunct) where a significant relation may occur with a small angle. ..5 * 5.55555% means there is a 27.777% (5/18) chance we will see a significanct angle within 1 degree in our charts, not improbable.. 83.333% (15/18 or 5/6) we will see a significant relation within 3 degrees.

obviously, the conventional practice considers larger angles to be significant (i'm still unsure what it is but it seems to be much higher than 3 degrees is "worth marking" in the charts websites generate)

as said.. it may be "sacreligious" to present the concept that an alignment may "not be so meaningful" as we are looking for meaning in astrology, not to say "aah, it's only chance" but sometimes, people need to relax and not worry about things! :)

(all this because i wanted to figure out what the chance of a 1 degree alignment was...!)

(omg this is my 100th post! no wonder i'm thinking about %s!!! aiiieeee!!!)

noraleader

Banned
i always kinda think, "random thoughts" threads should be amusing, funny, not the "wellness" oriented content i've posted so far.

anyway, was thinkng about a young man who was asking for natal reading's post and figured, this is going to be helpful information. and, like "all things one intends to be of public service," thought i'd put it somewhere it might have a longer forum life..

about the girl who never came back

had a girlfriend, long time ago. she was younger and from a wealthy family, so she decided to keep her boyfriend with the british accent a secret (this occured in tucson, arizona). in retrospect, i don't really know what was going on there, or what secrets were being kept from whom.

so our relationship continued for over three years, and deteriorated, as the stress of a secret relationship aggregated. eventually we broke up, but we still met each other and talked. two months later, she crashed and broke her spine. at that point, going to the hospital, it was inevitable i would encounter her parents, and of course, there weren't really any secrets after three years.

of course, i figured, she might have a tough time with relationships at that point, and was, like most young people, quite enamoured and empassioned. i went to school and became a nurses' aide. i bought furnishings that i thought would accomodate her disability, like a $600 couch that was more like an ocean of pillows. i made a transfer board in case she visited and wanted to use the bathroom.

as the years passed, from time to time, we spoke briefly. to say she was cold is an understatement, but eg. once she needed help with a research project, and i guess since i was bugging her to chat, she had me do some research.

eventually it got to the poitn where it was clear to me i was intolerably irritating. what happened next.. ten years to the day after her crash, my house was broken into, my studio was moved to the house across the street, it was being used overtly when i got home, police response was pretty much to laugh at me even though there were gang members outside the opposite house with their arms crossed like "dare you to come over here" and of course, once the police left, the threats started. so i left my house that day.

and it didn't end there. it turned out, her father was an influential man, and wherever i went to live or work, people would harass me. i don't talk about it often because .. this kind of mechanistic harassment (like "workplace mobbing") does occur, there are many victims, but the social forces that do this to "undesirables" or "people who offend the powerful" also control how the public perceives such testimonies. the goal is to make the target look paranoid and cut off all of their support so they deteriorate, inexplicably or apparently by their own processes. "the death of a thousand small cuts".

anyway, ignore all of that -

today's thought is,

take what you can from each moment life offers you. there are no guarantees in life, no matter how your local culture encourages you to trust any social contract. you could be smushed by a giant divine space rock later this afternoon.

try to live life with gratitude for the experiences it offers you, appreciating that there may be more to it than the surface experience. life is here to make you think and grow and evolve, not for you to copulate in amusement park ecstasy and just be perfect. why bother with all the fuss and muss if life were only about enjoyment.

minimising your reaction to loss and detraction by reducing unrealistic or dishonest expectations can help reduce suffering. i also believe, to question the nature of pleasure also reduces suffering :) but young people (of any age..) aren't going to be receptive to that.

if you have eg. lost the ideal lover, and you believe everything in your life would be perfect if they came back, who knows what could happen next.. they could be dead in a week from a car accident, or worse yet, dead over forty years from sitting in front of the television being a vacuous consumer or an unprepared and unhappy parent.

this is also a "be careful what you wish for" kind of thing, the amount of damage on my life that affected my friends and family and property and labours may have all been avoided if i'd let go of her at a time.. true, who could, 20/20 hindsight, but..

w.s. burroughs used to mention a newspaper clipping about an accident where several lives were lost.. inflating an air balloon that broke free from its moorings... several people hung onto the ropes trying to save the balloon, soon they are hundreds of feet in the air and no longer have the strength to hold on to the ropes... know when to let go...

noraleader

Banned
this one from w.s. burroughs.. paraphrasing.....

every shooter has *their* time. it can't be rushed. know your time. don't try to beat it. take *your* time.

under all the distasteful imagery, bill had a lot of kindness in dishing out real wisdom. "would i care about these people.."

noraleader

Banned
#3 from burroughs.. never ask death for it's name..

allegedly, last words of billy the kid, "quien es?" who is it?

if you are asking, then you are subject

begging the universe to please tell you what is next

how very lazy of you

what is the point of being alive if you are expecting to be entertained constantly. if you want to know life, do something.

create. make decisions. invent the future, or be dragged into oblivion by sheer indifference. that is what life is for. not stuffing your face and watching the television and letting wealthy despots "inform and entertain" you.

noraleader

Banned
..just received a PM from a member account with 0 posts suggesting that, "from a series of posts" i take my activities elsewhere... (isn't calling them "posts" a bit optimistic?)

my thought to share for this day is, fittingly...

..when i started to investigate astrology more thoroughly, i was pleased to read that the signs of the zodiac are meaningfully composed, not scribbles.. there is the circle representing spirit, the crescent, representing mind, and the cross, representing earth, physical reality (transfixion).

earlier it occured to me, where do we see this equidistant armed vertically aligned, "cartesian" one might say cross.... yes, in the sign of the templars...

i'm not well versed in biblical reference, but isn't the earth alleged to belong to the malefic party?

modern people "blow off" considerations.. "the templars aren't in the world today.. they aren't related to the masons, or anything or anyone.." deny deny deny

after all, los caballeros templarios are "just a bunch of violent mexicans" that americans don't have to think about seriously.. "just some punks trying to pick a big sounding name.."

it's not as if there are cultural roots going back hundreds or thousands of years or anything...

..and, of course, anyone who talks about this is just trying to sound big, talking about mysterious issues, not trying to educate and protect an innocent and nescient public..........

there, your thought for the day, while the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the air is warm and the weather fair...

RaRohini

Noraleader,

Me thinks this is all the movement of energy..good energy, bad energy, sad energy, hate energy , happy energy, hot energy, cold energy..
Jealous energy ..all gyrating to a mad dance..

Mfroyer

:whistling: lol objective intensity... I'll be calling on the PB test when my Ujjayi breath fails to calm me next time.

noraleader

Banned
when distanced from venues where one may be productive, energy produces

YOU UNDRRRRRRESSED A MATE THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE

:D

"cant..."

if you have played "dungeons and dragons" you may know of "cant" (and the names of several dozen obscure pole arms..)

"cant" isn't a discrete language, but the use of a "host" language to communicate obliquely, ...sort of like cockney rhyming slang, but usually using the same phonemes ("word sounds") ... basically availing homophones (words that sound like each other) and similar dynamics to communicate between "knowing" parties in the presence of "unknowing" parties without detection.

with the popularity of the internet, the use of "cant" has catalytically expanded between verbal and textual methods, so that we can reference a textual semantic in verbal speech..

..having undergone years of collusive "management" i've been exposed to all manner of cant. i have difficulty thinking of examples because "i tend to put unpleasant things out of my mind" but given the span of fifteen minutes i probably encounter dozens..

..as demonstrated above, it's basically like using puns to communicate covertly. if you visit forums about various subjects, you may often see "garbage" or "funny" threads with lots of nonsequiturs throughout the day.. checking these give you insight as crypto members of the forum pass information or news, perhaps mentioning food or somethnig that just doesn't make sense, until you realise, they're using cheap excuses to use the *sounds* in the word in language...

a simple example..

if someone is on "cruise control", they are not doing things "automatically", they are being managed by a group of people. ("crews control")

anyway. thugs (cryptos) amuse themselves all day with such constructs, celebrating their wit and using it as justification for cruelty.

if you ask the locals where i live, it's "purgatory" or, "purr-gato-ry" ("gato" = spanish for cat).

examples are rather pointless really because "if you get good enough at it," just about every word and sound in the english language can be recombined for different meaning.. if you live in a region where more than one language is commonly used, you are in real trouble... (as demonstrated above)

of course, homophones and cant aren't the only methods used in covert communication, an erudition in semantics informs abstraction, eg. the python nonsequitur "poached salmon in a white wine sauce" may seem purely silly but makes sense if you consider the reputation of salmon for driving upstream with the homophone for "wine", the dish is served as a complete semantic meal.

earlier this morning, i caught a TED video someone posted, i'd seen it before.. "bobby mcferrin demonstrates the power of the pentatonic scale" - mr. mcferrin steps between five stage locations and asks the audience to sing the note associated with each spot.

after five minutes of this, everyone is happy that he has successfully demonstrated the power of the human mind to associate/remember ***five very simple things***

most persons, are at this point thinking, gee, the human mind is so remarkable... i can't believe all those people remembered those five notes! wow!

meanwhile, the cryptocrats are all inwardly amused that mr. mcferrin asked the audience to sing the note "baaaa" with each spot, and has led the flock of sheep to baaaa for five minutes without any objection.

i tell you, if you pay attention, hear the birds speak. if you don't pay attention, you go "baaaa" for five minutes and feel proud.

perhaps ultimately, it is safer and more comfortable than challenging those who seek authority in this life.

noraleader

Banned
"it is not necessary to be covered in filth to be repulsive.. a little blob on the end of your nose wil do it.." ~jaggi vasudev (paraphrase)

... *ponders* ...

"to keep flies out of the dining room, place a pile of manure in the kitchen"

noraleader

Banned
here's a few for the day..

* have you thought about west papua today?

* self-esteem can only come from within (did i read that here? good one..)

* (hours later) aah some other time, got distracted. that can happen

JUPITERASC

don't know if this is sacreligious around here... thoughts on probability ;)

i was introduced to the concept of "synchronicity" at an early age and have spent many years observing it.. i also have done a lot of "procedural programming" which generates "random numbers" (no such thing..) then uses them to shape things..

..i'm kind of indifferent to the concept of synchronicity because of how i perceive things.. (at a moderately advanced age) sure, it can be influential.. sure, it can be meaningless.. either way is fine with me, being noncommittal i think is the more prudent vantage ;) "remain flexible.." :p

to say this a different way, i have seen "randomness" or synchronicity do some uncannily remarkable things... scary things even.. i've also seen very precise things be meaningless... only i think experience can give a sense of this, and that takes time.. to me, i look for meaning within, not within external events..

people looking for quick answers don't always have time, so i thought i'd write a bit on probability for amusement :)

..in "what i guess is modern astrology" (i'm easy.. reference is so arbitrary..) we have... sun moon venus mercury mars jupiter saturn uranus neptune pluto ascendant as "the most common points any novice reads about in their astro column" so that's 11 objects..

to consider the chance of there being a conjunct within 1 degree of another object..

2 / 360 = .0055555(5 into infinity) or 0.55555%

(it's "2" because 1 degree on each side)

so given one object, we have 10 other objects that could possibly fall in this range, so we have ten chances, so we have a 5.55% chance of a 1 degree conjunct on a chart with 11 objects.

seeing how probability works, 1 in 18 isn't really bad odds. life isn't always statistically driven, and god knows, when considering the retrograde motion of planets from earth's perspective, it may change those odds some.

increasing the range increases the probability, if we consider a conjunction within three degrees, there's a 16.6% chance of seeing that in our chart, or 1 in 6.

also considering that most charts mark septiles, trines, oppositions, and squares (but not sesquisquares on many charts for some reason) that's four more chances, or five (including conjunct) where a significant relation may occur with a small angle. ..5 * 5.55555% means there is a 27.777% (5/18) chance we will see a significanct angle within 1 degree in our charts, not improbable.. 83.333% (15/18 or 5/6) we will see a significant relation within 3 degrees.

obviously, the conventional practice considers larger angles to be significant (i'm still unsure what it is but it seems to be much higher than 3 degrees is "worth marking" in the charts websites generate)

as said.. it may be "sacreligious" to present the concept that an alignment may "not be so meaningful" as we are looking for meaning in astrology, not to say "aah, it's only chance" but sometimes, people need to relax and not worry about things! :)

(all this because i wanted to figure out what the chance of a 1 degree alignment was...!)

(omg this is my 100th post! no wonder i'm thinking about %s!!! aiiieeee!!!)

inequality_07.png

chartoftheday_3938_the_global_pyramid_of_wealth_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.