Certain Exaltations

astroman1

Hi
I am just wondering, there are certain planets that are considered naturaly as exalted or dignity or fall, etc.
Now some are understandable, such as Venus in Pisces: Unconditional Love.
Many wouldn't consider this so much a gift, especially if your spouse has it.
But, generally speaking, it is considered exalted because loving without expecting anything in return, is a .. good thing. :p

My question specifically is about Jupiter. Jupiter is exalted in Cancer.
Its dignity is in Saggitarius. My question is, out of all the signs with each of its own specific qualities, why is Cancer the exaltation of Jupiter?

Anyone may reply. Please share your thoughts...

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
The exaltations are not based on any sort of pscychological understanding or contrived word-play. They're based on astronomical rules and humoural philosophy.

Jupiter is exalted in Cancer because Cancer is the most northern Sign (Sol reaches its highest point in the sky in this Sign) and Jupiter is a northern planet, delighting in and bringing forth the "fecund northern winds", as Ptolemy put it.

I could guess as to why Jupiter is exalted in Cancer - An inner level feeling joy which can flow as both planet and sign can flow Jupiter expands and water flows, lots of positivity, connection to the good things in life. Both planet/Jupiter sign/Cancer can connect to the spiritual side of life. Jupiter in Capricorn for example which is in fall in this sign has difficulty with the spiritual side of life, Capricorns deal with the physical world. Jupiter is an optimist and Capricorn is a realist. Just imagine the planet and the sign in conversation and how much would their view of the world differ. Jupiter says go, move forward, be positive, take this opportunity now. Capricorn says no wait, be realistic, bide your time until the time is right, you have to be careful. The spiritual side of Jupiter is more easily expressed through water except for Scorpio. You can probably work out the reasons for this conflict as well.

4leafclovah

Sorry, I didn't want to sound like a dumb---, I guess I meant dignified. I just didn't know if the classical rulerships were used much anymore.

hermetic

Miss Saturn said:
The spiritual side of Jupiter is more easily expressed through water except for Scorpio. You can probably work out the reasons for this conflict as well.

If it's not much trouble, can you explain why is it conflicted in Scorpio? I do not know much but would like to learn. Thanks :)

Pallas-trine-Mars

Are you kidding!?! Have you ever met a Capricorn? They were probably a dark, gloomy, skeptical person; this is why Jupiter is exalted in Cancer, because it's the farthest place away from that sign, which was called it's "Fall," which for me is the main basis for the whole system of exaltations. Jupiter is an optimistic planet and one that tries to give opportunities, whereas Capricorn is the main sign of Saturn, the Lord of misfortune, depression, sickness and pessimism. Capricorn is the first sign to think "what's the catch?" When Jupiter is here, it's hard for people with this placement or Capricorn to think there's any hope at all, the challenge is that they must learn to have faith and look to the bright side, but keep their natural common sense. Exaltation is also a form of rulership.

Jupiter in Cancer is extremely good. These are very popular people who pretty much just have everything they need handed to them by others. I met a Sag girl with Jupiter here and Moon in Libra in 5th. She was so beautiful and people where nearly lining up to try to be her friend (or boyfriend)! This placement is good for fertility, Jupiter in Pisces might be the only one better. It's very good for judgement and common sense.

It's not hard to understand the exaltations when you consider the Fall; when a planet is in Fall, it's in the sign that tends to resist it:

Sun-Libra: Libra resist the urge to express individuality because they need partnership. Doesn't feel strong or totally certain in their direction or goal which might be susceptible to outside influence. Motives must be hidden/don't want to attract too much attention.

Moon-Scorpio: Moon is too unstable, the emotions can become self-destructive and compromising if not controlled. Can't comprehend sympathy well.

Mercury-Pisces: Pisces must believe that things will turn out the way they want it to turn out (ideal over actual), not the way it appears it will when negative. Questioning faith (or anything else) is blasphemous! "Words aren't real communication" Protect the secrets!

Mercury-Leo: Has made up the mind and the conclusion is definitely the right one!! (-rolls eyes-) Only sees things on the surface, seeks absolutes and exaggerates.

Mercury-Taurus: (seems a rough place for Mercury to be if not a Fall) Bad at abstract thought and academics, extremely stubborn, proud mind.

Venus-Virgo: (Weird, the only girl sign) Lacks self-esteem to realize what a great romantic partner they'd make, prefers solitude, prefers work to frilly emotions, finds extravagance laughable or enraging, paranoid about negative consequences of romance

Mars-Cancer: Worries too much about the consequences of rash action, direct action often fails, Cancer seeks safety and solitude, fears hostility and discord, but knows that conflict is inevitable (dillema).

Jupiter-Capricorn: Pessimism makes them ignore opportunities, "if there's bad, it's good, if it's all good, then it's all bad!" Obligations over freedom. Ethics vs. success. Fickleness makes them let go of good things too soon. Possibly some infertility.

Saturn-Aries: Aries is only the beginning and doesn't understand obstacles, when they arrive Aries just wants to keep fighting until they are defeated, rather than submit to or learn from them. Because they don't understand these things, the "real world" can depress them and put them into a long rut. Patience is a difficult lesson.

Uranus-Taurus: Taurus likes to keep things the same, shocking, radical and rebellious behavior is disruptive to harmony. Humanitarianism can disrupt monetary and social systems. Traditional perspective is favored and trusted over new insight.

Neptune-Aquarius: Aquarius needs cold, hard reason, it can't understand emotion or empathy and doesn't really care. There's no such thing as "psychic powers!" Emotional sensitivity is a vulnerability and a nuissance.

No one really is sure where Pluto's exaltation and Fall is, but I suspect Gemini is it's Fall because of how absent-minded and changeable they are. I can't see Pluto being in Fall in Leo or Aquarius, and the exaltation probably isn't Pisces since they've already got Venus.

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
It's not hard to understand the exaltations when you first consider the Fall; when a planet is in Fall, it's in the sign that tends to resist it
I find that a little silly since it is the exaltations that in turn based the depressions. To say it's the other way around is to lose your grasp on understanding a form of astrological philosophy based on astronomical observation and humoural qualities. That means that these pairs are not based off of modern interpretations of either Signs or planets and the supposed level of agreement on a psychological level.

Pallas-trine-Mars

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
I find that a little silly since it is the exaltations that in turn based the depressions. To say it's the other way around is to lose your grasp on understanding a form of astrological philosophy based on astronomical observation and humoural qualities. That means that these pairs are not based off of modern interpretations of either Signs or planets and the supposed level of agreement on a psychological level.
I said it before:
Pallas-trine-Mars to aquarius7000: Re: Is Chiron ruler of Virgo? said:
...That's where medieval astrology and I are at odds, I deal almost ENTIRELY in psychological astrology.
No, I just think that the Fall of a sign proves the exaltation, for instance, Venus works well in Leo (though it's somewhat Peregrine according to some ancient astrologers), does this mean it's in Fall in Aquarius? No, yet Leo is the opposite nature of Venus as per humour (though Ptolemy or one of them might say something like 'Venus works well here because in this sign the heat and dryness of daylight continues to decrease in spite of the house of the Sun...' or something like that). I didn't really mean, 'ALWAYS first consider the Fall,' just that the Fall usually makes sense from a psychological (and often meteorological as you mention) POV. I just explained the astrological disagreement between the planet and sign that results in the Fall.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Hi,
Sorry, I didn't want to sound like a dumb---, I guess I meant dignified.
As per traditional sign rulerships, Jupiter rules Pisces, and so, being in its own domicile there, is essentially dignified in Pisces.
I just didn't know if the classical rulerships were used much anymore.
Each to his own;).

:)aquarius7000

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
No, yet Leo is the opposite nature of Venus as per humour
Actually, the opposite in humour of Venus is Virgo, that's why she's depressed here. The cooling and drying of autumn as opposed to Venus's warming and moistening nature.

I just explained the astrological disagreement between the planet and sign that results in the Fall.
The supposed psychological differences, yes. But again, to suggest that rules of traditional astrology are based on psychological astrology is just plain incorrect. To come into traditional astrology and view it through the eyes of psychological astrology is going to confuse you, and it's just like tripping over your own feet. A good analogy would be like trying to measure distance in gallons, you're using the entirely wrong device and if you took the time to understand traditional viewpoints without thinking back to and comparing it to psychological astrology, maybe you would get a better understanding of it than what you currently have.

In other words, I'm asking you to think about why Venus is depressed in Virgo, instead of how it is played out.

Pallas-trine-Mars

I say Capricorn, you say Capricornus; Just 2 different ways of explaining the same thing. You're dealing in astrological theory, I'm explaining astrology in practice [deleted non-astrological comment - Moderator].

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Sundance_Kid

I think Jupiter is exalted in Cancer because Jupiter shows spiritual or well all kinds of growth, and this cannot happen without firm foundations, which is what Cancer rules. A good home and family life builds a good individual, and the home is a microcosm of the world, so Jupiter here is expanding the inner world to help the outer one. Think of the Odyssey. Maybe Jupiter is telling us that despite travelling over the wilds and the seas, there is nothing better than home :)

Seriously, this discussion is the best example of what I've just been writing about in my earlier post on approaches to dignity and debility. I hope you might both send your thoughts on the issues.

Kai- what is a northern planet? And what is humour? Is this written somewhere on the education boards?

JayM

Pallas-trine-Mars said:
Are you kidding!?! Have you ever met a Capricorn? They were probably a dark, gloomy, skeptical person; this is why Jupiter is exalted in Cancer, because it's the farthest place away from that sign, which was called it's "Fall," which for me is the main basis for the whole system of exaltations.

Oh? and is that the only problem with THAT sign?:p There are positives to being a capricorn you know. Saturn finds out what is real in its house sign and what makes the difference in the physical world, and they know how to get to the top!

Jupitor in cancer in one book I read means that the person has some kind of benefit from the early life and someone said that people with jupitor in cancer are able to remember the good things in life, what this probably means is that they had some very good emotional experiences with other people, material things, or some kind of experience in some circumstances. Keep in mind that jupitor is also about how you reach out to the world so these people will probably feel emotionally secure when trying to reach out for relationship or whatever it is that they want in life.

Last edited:

2xVirgo

Pallas-trine-Mars said:
Are you kidding!?! Have you ever met a Capricorn? They were probably a dark, gloomy, skeptical person; this is why Jupiter is exalted in Cancer, because it's the farthest place away from that sign, which was called it's "Fall," which for me is the main basis for the whole system of exaltations. Jupiter is an optimistic planet and one that tries to give opportunities, whereas Capricorn is the main sign of Saturn, the Lord of misfortune, depression, sickness and pessimism. Capricorn is the first sign to think "what's the catch?" When Jupiter is here, it's hard for people with this placement or Capricorn to think there's any hope at all, the challenge is that they must learn to have faith and look to the bright side, but keep their natural common sense. Exaltation is also a form of rulership.

Jupiter in Cancer is extremely good. These are very popular people who pretty much just have everything they need handed to them by others. I met a Sag girl with Jupiter here and Moon in Libra in 5th. She was so beautiful and people where nearly lining up to try to be her friend (or boyfriend)! This placement is good for fertility, Jupiter in Pisces might be the only one better. It's very good for judgement and common sense.

It's not hard to understand the exaltations when you consider the Fall; when a planet is in Fall, it's in the sign that tends to resist it:

Sun-Libra: Libra resist the urge to express individuality because they need partnership. Doesn't feel strong or totally certain in their direction or goal which might be susceptible to outside influence. Motives must be hidden/don't want to attract too much attention.

Moon-Scorpio: Moon is too unstable, the emotions can become self-destructive and compromising if not controlled. Can't comprehend sympathy well.

Mercury-Pisces: Pisces must believe that things will turn out the way they want it to turn out (ideal over actual), not the way it appears it will when negative. Questioning faith (or anything else) is blasphemous! "Words aren't real communication" Protect the secrets!

Mercury-Leo: Has made up the mind and the conclusion is definitely the right one!! (-rolls eyes-) Only sees things on the surface, seeks absolutes and exaggerates.

Mercury-Taurus: (seems a rough place for Mercury to be if not a Fall) Bad at abstract thought and academics, extremely stubborn, proud mind.

Venus-Virgo: (Weird, the only girl sign) Lacks self-esteem to realize what a great romantic partner they'd make, prefers solitude, prefers work to frilly emotions, finds extravagance laughable or enraging, paranoid about negative consequences of romance

Mars-Cancer: Worries too much about the consequences of rash action, direct action often fails, Cancer seeks safety and solitude, fears hostility and discord, but knows that conflict is inevitable (dillema).

Jupiter-Capricorn: Pessimism makes them ignore opportunities, "if there's bad, it's good, if it's all good, then it's all bad!" Obligations over freedom. Ethics vs. success. Fickleness makes them let go of good things too soon. Possibly some infertility.

Saturn-Aries: Aries is only the beginning and doesn't understand obstacles, when they arrive Aries just wants to keep fighting until they are defeated, rather than submit to or learn from them. Because they don't understand these things, the "real world" can depress them and put them into a long rut. Patience is a difficult lesson.

Uranus-Taurus: Taurus likes to keep things the same, shocking, radical and rebellious behavior is disruptive to harmony. Humanitarianism can disrupt monetary and social systems. Traditional perspective is favored and trusted over new insight.

Neptune-Aquarius: Aquarius needs cold, hard reason, it can't understand emotion or empathy and doesn't really care. There's no such thing as "psychic powers!" Emotional sensitivity is a vulnerability and a nuissance.

No one really is sure where Pluto's exaltation and Fall is, but I suspect Gemini is it's Fall because of how absent-minded and changeable they are. I can't see Pluto being in Fall in Leo or Aquarius, and the exaltation probably isn't Pisces since they've already got Venus.
Some people make things really easy to understand.
You, good sir, appear to be one of them. I'd never really thought of looking to the fall to explain the exaltation, but you've made it reality.

I've read that Pluto is exalted in Pisces, something about the fact that Pisces is the last sign of the zodiac and that Pluto is all about dissolving the old to bring in the new. Or maybe Pluto is just too slow to have a strong exaltation? Maybe another of the mutable signs, Sagittarius (which I'd doubt), Gemini (which I'd also doubt) or Virgo?

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I've read that Pluto is exalted in Pisces, something about the fact that Pisces is the last sign of the zodiac and that Pluto is all about dissolving the old to bring in the new.

Exaltations are not derived in this manner...affinity and "similarities" have nothing to do with it.

Kai- what is a northern planet? And what is humour? Is this written somewhere on the education boards?

I can't exactly put into words what makes Jupiter a northern planet. It makes sense in my head, but I can't think of the words to make it make sense. :S

Every planet has a humor composed of heat/cold, moist/dry. Luna is wet and cold, Mercury is cooling and drying, Venus is warming and moist, Sol is hot and dry, Mars is excessively hot and dry, Jupiter is moist and dry, Saturn is excessively cold and dry.

Signs and seasons have similar humours.