Addiction drugs/alcohol in a natal chart

BOOGY99

Hello all x

I seem to be soul searching at the moment. (prolly t Pluto trine natal mercury?)
I am wondering if you can see addiction within a natal chart. I have been addicted to Valium and alcohol since the age of 17yrs old. Been through a terrible time the last 3 years and I seem to be just keeping my head above water after rehab last year as I was killing myself.

I note that I have N 3 x 12 house planets and Pluto conjunct Asc from the 12 house. Some astrologer said that the sun/moon midpoint conjunct Ceres is a factor. This is a big thing for me to discuss, so I would appreciate any help or advice that I can get as I love to learn and I would eventually like to help others if I can help myself. x

Attachments

• addiction.jpg
    addiction.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 84

CapAquaPis

Hello all x

I seem to be soul searching at the moment. (prolly t Pluto trine natal mercury?)
I am wondering if you can see addiction within a natal chart. I have been addicted to Valium and alcohol since the age of 17yrs old. Been through a terrible time the last 3 years and I seem to be just keeping my head above water after rehab last year as I was killing myself.

I note that I have N 3 x 12 house planets and Pluto conjunct Asc from the 12 house. Some astrologer said that the sun/moon midpoint conjunct Ceres is a factor. This is a big thing for me to discuss, so I would appreciate any help or advice that I can get as I love to learn and I would eventually like to help others if I can help myself. x

You have a Neptune in 3rd...Neptune is the planet of drugs and alcohol, it is the ruler of Pisces, the sign with the same association...squaring the Sun indicates a possibility of addiction like you stated, this is highly accurate.

Lykanized

I just want to say that I've dealt with addiction myself as well as other severe mental health issues which are possibly visible in my own chart as predispositions, but I've managed to get to a stable point in life without any ties to previous addictions. You can do that too

I hope you find the insight you need and don't begin to feel that even if you find chart markers, it means you're a hopeless case. No one is

BOOGY99

You have a Neptune in 3rd...Neptune is the planet of drugs and alcohol, it is the ruler of Pisces, the sign with the same association...squaring the Sun indicates a possibility of addiction like you stated, this is highly accurate.

Thankyou for your reply. I never thought of looking at Neptune in the 3rd H.
I don't see Neptune square to my Sun but I see a square to natal Saturn in the 5th H x

OuterPlanets89

Hello all x

One pattern that I've seen with addiction that I see in your chart is Neptune being the focus planet of a wedge.

With Sun/Pluto conjunct in the 12th opposite Jupiter/Chiron (in Pisces), you have a pretty difficult (and Neptunean) dynamic related to your ego (I also have Sun in 12th in hard aspect to a bunch of planets, including Jupiter). Your personal power from your Sun/Pluto might get lost in the 12th house nebulousness, and Jupiter/Chiron conjunct in Pisces likely makes you a seeker looking to heal pain related to early life beliefs.

This back and forth of your painful opposition has two wedge release points:
- Neptune in Scorpio in the 3rd
- Moon/Mars in Cancer in the 10th

The first is an obvious sign of escapism, often through substances. The second makes one likely to act (Mars) impulsively on whatever they're feeling (Moon). And your Moon/Mars conjunction are also in a grand water trine with your Jupiter/Chiron and Neptune, which can crystallize habits of behavior. On the plus side, this grand trine can make you very intuitive/creative if you channel it well.

Another sign of addiction I've seen that may or may not play a role in your chart is having Saturn at the apex of an emotional, often Neptunean configuration. Someone I know who's struggled with addiction her whole adult life has a t-square with Moon in the 2nd opposite Neptune in the 8th, with the apex planet being Saturn in the 5th. Basically, her emotions get lost in a back-and-forth with Neptune, and Saturn doesn't usually work well with either of those planets, as it's results/action oriented. So when tasked with handling the amorphous pain that comes with Moon/Neptune, it seeks the quickest fix, which is usually alcohol.

Your Moon in Cancer is sextile your Pluto in the 12th, forming a Yod to Saturn in the 5th. I've never seen this configuration personally, but I'd be willing to bet that Saturn's "fix" mentality to the watery amorphousness of your chart plays a role as well. This is also present with Saturn squaring Neptune, which is where a decent amount of your energy likely goes towards (via the wedge).

I'd say the Jupiter/Chiron conjunction in Pisces is probably the biggest culprit overall, especially with it being on the far side of a Kite formation (and in aspect to much of your chart.

Last edited:

BOOGY99

oh my, how interesting and thankyou for your reply.

I think looking back the culprit is Pluto conjunct my ascendant in the 12th house. I tended to repress my emotions and keep myself hidden from the rest of the world. I could not let myself go in matters of the heart and I have gone through life like a butterfly with no purpose as it was easy to blur my emotions.

This has been a trap that kept me hurt and desirous of refuge and escape.

As in childhood and my teenage years I have been scared of being hurt and surrendering my personal power to others.

Its strange but this is exactly what i must do in order to be happy. I need to feel love, and give myself to others without giving away all my personal power, and I think this is the answer and will eventually heal me, it just feels right (says my gut feeling) I am already feeling a transformation and I'm kinda scared and excited, i feel Pluto transit in the 5th house, so I am going to go with the flow on this one. I will look into the other placements you talked about, and again I'm so grateful for your time, Thankyou again xxx

OuterPlanets89

Of course, I'm dealing with similar issues, as I have a lot of challenging aspects in my chart as well, and in the past 2 years, I fell into a cycle of substance dependency too.

Astrology helps to understand my patterns of behavior, but after acknowledging them, it seems to come down to letting go and living as freely as possible, or so I've found. Still a work in progress though.

Hope everything works out!

BOOGY99

Of course, I'm dealing with similar issues, as I have a lot of challenging aspects in my chart as well, and in the past 2 years, I fell into a cycle of substance dependency too.

Astrology helps to understand my patterns of behavior, but after acknowledging them, it seems to come down to letting go and living as freely as possible, or so I've found. Still a work in progress though.

Hope everything works out!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

hey could you post your chart too so i can learn hun i love to see and learn lol my brain is always on tic think its N mercury conj adc brain neva stops lol xxx

rhoeas722

hi,

there are many factors that favour this habit, possibly it is a matter in which the family tree is directly involved; inheritances. (that's why my first advice is to pay close attention to Saturn so close to Ketu. it is critical). it would be good then, to reflect on these behaviours in the recent family history. considering that substance abuse is only a means but not an end goal, avoidance is. that's why emotional hypersensitivity is the first factor that favours "drug addiction". then it is sustained by pride beyond the moment when the pleasure effect fades. just remember that Amy's song "rehab".

on the other hand, a configuration as specific as yours is also a sign about the process of liberation and ultimate healing, especially with the Pisces-Virgo axis so involved and the position of Pluto and Rahu, among other things. by hook or by crook.

the rising sign is a really important point and I'm sure you've already had some readings on what Virgo symbolizes. that T-square formed by Neptune Saturn and the Moon's nodes may be the first door, look at the "empty" space in Taurus. then maybe too much unconscious content to drain in 12th house.

the best way to deal with the 12th is to allow yourself to be a channel, things will pass through these individuals and more than once you will find yourself dealing with issues in solitude. things that were born with you. the process of final liberation is in this area of our life. there is so much potential. no aspect of yourself should be denied, but an endpoint is required, only then can you start over.

Virgo is the evolution and refinement of Leo. while Leo lives from his instinct, seeking to satisfy his immediate desires, Virgo has understood the rules and is at peace with boundaries. and of course, I'm not just talking about boundaries imposed by society, but our inner values about what is right or wrong. (Sagittarius in IC). somewhere I heard the story of two men, both drank perhaps too much alcohol, one of them hated it, he really wanted to quit. he never could. the second just didn't care... this one even lived a little longer. we must be congruent with our beliefs. this ensures real peace. acting against what we consider right condemns us. your Sun so early in Virgo ensures an identity with a perception of "there is something wrong to correct".

however, beyond that, it is that moon in cancer that is the cornerstone of it all. over the moon, it is offset by the opposite sign. Capricorn, another encounter with boundaries and coherence.

someone's life is an extremely complex thing, only small fragments are mentioned here. there is so much to say, but I think I've gone on long enough. I wish you the best!

PD: I apologize if my English seems unnatural, I'm still learning.

BOOGY99

Oh thankyou so much for your in sighted post. I find that the charts I have seen of some addicts do have 12th placements, but what I find interesting too is like me, they have a parent who was an addict or mentally ill. In my case I felt this in childhood as I was brought up quite repressed, not to show my emotions and feelings, from my mum but mainly my dad. This was the start as in my teens I could no longer keep this hidden and it was overwhelming to deal with, hence the start of my addictions.

Lin

Hi
Can you give the date you went into rehab? Did it coincide with your Saturn return?

I am sure since you have been treated (in rehab) that psychological counseling was part of your treatment.
And that during that treatment you were asked to recall things from your past.

But .....the root of all addictions is secrecy and shame....and sometimes - often - denial, and so I am wondering if you were able to go back far enough. Because you can't go forward until you clean up the past....remember it all, understand what it meant, dealt with betrayal from those you trusted....etc.

Looking at the bright side of life is great....but sometimes it's in the shadows you find the truth.

Your journey inward is not over. If you are not seeing a therapist who is actively helping you, then you need to change therapists to one who specializes in your type of addiction.

Sometimes therapists refrain from confronting your deepest issues because they are afraid they will lose you as a patient/client. But someone like that is only enabling your lack of clarity.
LIN

BOOGY99

Thankyou for your reply

I went into rehab 19th Aug 2020 came out in Nov. I was so happy in there, (T Pluto trine N mercury) I guess. I came off all my drugs and was drug and alcohol free until Feb 2021 PS Saturn Return. Now I am back struggling, I know if I don't sort it out it will kill me. In my case it was repressed feelings in my past and now I am scared of making attachments as I am so scared, its very painful.

I have posted my progressions chart as I see P Saturn is opp P Mars and on angles.

I posted a chart the day I went into rehab xx

Attachments

• prog for d.jpg
    prog for d.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 47
  • date of r.jpg
    date of r.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Lin

Is that second chart the TRANSITS on your natal chart for the date you went to rehab?

I think you were happy in rehab because you didn't have to make the hard choices. You were with others who were going thru what you were...and you were safe from having to make decisions.

Return to the ''real world'' reminded you that you are responsible for your own life.
It's hard for you.
LIN

Last edited:

BOOGY99

Is that second chart the TRANSITS on your natal chart for the date you went to rehab?

I think you were happy in rehab because you didn't have to make the hard choices. You were with others who were going thru what you were...and you were safe from having to make decisions.

Return to the ''real world'' reminded you that you are responsible for your own life.
It's hard for you.
LIN
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi Lin
Thanks for your reply. Yes the second chart is the date I went into rehab.
You are dead right with your above comment. I enjoyed Rehab, it was like residential summer school, very expensive £21k for 12 weeks but I loved all the learning and psychological approach. The problem is when you get back home, your on your own and have to face the issues. Unfortunately I relapsed but not as bad as last year, so I am battling again. I am back in touch with my key worker and she is trying to help me again. Dam and Blast I say, its a pain. x

Lin

Well, rehab is only really detox. You can't change a long term addiction (of any type) in 12 weeks. it sounds like a long time but it's not. I am sure you were advised strongly to go to 3 or 4 twelve -step meetings a week in order to keep reminding yourself that it is ''one day at a time'' and the MOST important thing you have to accomplish EVERY SINGLE DAY is to NOT USE>

Everything else is secondary...because if you use you can't really do anything else...you may have the illusion you are accomplishing something....but it may or may not be real.
LIN

Last edited: