Foreign Language School 9th house or 3rd house?

cyberlori

Hi,

The question is for myself, with a 23 Pisces ascendant. I think the language school would be 9th house but not sure. I am from the US and currently live in Rome. I have studied Italian for a few years on my own, and trying to decide if I should go to Italian language school or keep studying on my own. The school is just up the street from where I live, so it's in my neighborhood, 3H? I would go daily Monday-Friday.

23 Pisces rising, Jupiter 21 Sag in 9th house, moon 21 Scorpio 8th house applying trine ascendant. I am thinking the applying Jupiter square means yes, and it will be difficult. Mercury rules the 3rd and is located on the ascendant at 24 pisces, applying square with Jupiter again.

Please tell me which planet you think represents the school, or any other thoughts. I am new to Horary, but not new to astrology. Thanks a lot!

waybread

I'm thinking third house. The school is in your neighbourhood, and I'm guessing it covers the basics, such as pronunciation, reading comprehension, developing your vocabulary, and grammar.

If you were to take a university course in Italian literature, that would be a 9th house matter.

Aria Venue

hello cyberlori

l3=The knowledge that you need to negotiate your daily round. The elementary school where you acquire this knowledge.

L9= It is our higher knowledge: in essence, the knowledge that is beyond what we need for our daily routine
it would be helpful though if you could post the chart

Last edited:

cyberlori

Thanks for the responses! I uploaded the chart for better reference. Lori

Attachments

• Language School.jpg
    Language School.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 25

greybeard

9th house.
"foreign".
The school building (local, 3rd) is not the reason you go to the school. It is to learn a foreign language.

cyberlori

Hi,

Yes I think that is a good way to state the question. I am studying the foreign language with books and online by myself, and my question was if I should sign up for a formal class, vs continuing to study on my own. The value for "is it worth it" is in regard to learning more, learning better, and paying off quicker in settling in to the foreign country with the foreign language - where I am already living. Then I was stuck because the school is in my neighborhood and would become part of my daily routine Monday through Friday, so 3rd house vs 9th house. Thank you!

Frisiangal

Hi all,
At what time does an horary chart become significant? At the time the thought enters the mind, or when it is outwardly expressed?
There is a time difference of 3¼ hours in the chart presented and when the question appeared on the board.

A chart for 10.50a.m. (question on board) gives Gemini Ascendant, whereby everything is situated differently. Wondering how this would be interpretted.

Cyberlori
I am studying the foreign language with books and online by myself, and my question was if I should sign up for a formal class, vs continuing to study on my own. The value for "is it worth it" is in regard to learning more, learning better, and paying off quicker in settling in to the foreign country with the foreign language - where I am already living.

Books and on-line grammar can never help with acquiring the accent necessary to make yourself adequately understood. If you have a good working knowledge of the language only necessary for professional situations (reading, writing etc.), have you considered taking private conversation lessons with someone to get your tongue round the words :smile:? There must be many willing to provide such a service.

Do you have a gift for language(s)? Are you nervous about verbally expressing yourself correctly, which can hold you back from learning through everyday interactionary situations? It is amazing the change of attitude in the locals when willingness to converse with them is shown.

:smile:

Aria Venue

Hi,

Yes I think that is a good way to state the question. I am studying the foreign language with books and online by myself, and my question was if I should sign up for a formal class, vs continuing to study on my own. The value for "is it worth it" is in regard to learning more, learning better, and paying off quicker in settling in to the foreign country with the foreign language - where I am already living. Then I was stuck because the school is in my neighborhood and would become part of my daily routine Monday through Friday, so 3rd house vs 9th house. Thank you!
ok cyberlori:smile:

so you are L1(jupiter) in his domicile in L9 (Higher knowledge..studies...etc) +moon in her fall in scorpio in L8, you recovered from via combusta and you are stressed about financial issues regarding perhaps tuition...fees...legal agreements...etc.The moon sees mercury L3 from terms, wondering if this would be an affordable solution, while this debilitated mars in technically your L2(your pocket...assets...etc) has already opposed your moon.The profit from knowledge is L10, but since we have the same sig for querent and quesited we have to take Saturn as L10 sig (the next sign in order).

So besides this horary, from my point of view... I would definitely say that a person always profits from learning..higher studies...etc.Einstein said “Education is what remains after one forgets everything learnt in school.”Education is overall development and way of life. But if you consider all the hardships as a mean to get a good/better paying job, then education by itself cannot guarantee that. The main benefit of education is that it gives you the broad insight of the world we live in. Knowledge is power and through the process, you increase your potential to do whatever you desire to do.:smile:

Back to the chart now...L10 Saturn in his domicile..sees L1 from terms, though L1/L9 in his fall.moon from scorpio in this chart has already trined saturn but when moon enters sag will first conjunct L2 antiscion on 5,53 and then L10 antiskion on 12,75 sag.Moon also in this chart will trine L3 mercury in 2 something and then square L2(venus) in 3 something.Mercury L3 on the other hand exalts L2 your pocket, is in your domicile in his detriment and fall.I don't see that you could profit much from this debilitated mercury (an "elementary" school) and advance your language skills through this way:unsure:.L9 is stronger.But yet it's up to you:smile:I think at this chart L3 describes the skills you already have in order to negotiate your daily round in this foreign country...it sits also at L1 cusp describing you...and in that case ...Foreign Language courses L9 might prove helpful:wink:So I would say that this L3 needs L9 .L4 (the end of the matter) mercury also

Last edited:

greybeard

I prefer to cast a horary for the moment a question is brought to me and I have understood and formulated the question. Technically the chart is cast for the moment the question enters consciousness. The querent can note the time, or ask the astrologer and the later time can be used.

It is best when the querent is deeply involved in the question psychologically.

I have an astrologer friend who once did a horary for a guy, about buying and selling silver. The guy went off and made money with her information, then returned for a repeat performance.

That was when my friend discovered that her original chart was off by 1000 years. And it worked for the operations and timing of buying and selling silver.

This leads one to question the nature of things.

I like to avoid frivolous questions or questions that are more appropriately answered by using common sense.

An example of this is the question, "Should I end the relationship?"

The querent has a love interest at great distance. They have not communicated in several months.

Common sense says there is no relationship except in the lady's head. Without benefit of a horary...put an end to your destructive delusion and move forward with life.

Astrology should never be used as a substitute for thinking.

Last edited:

cyberlori

Aria and Greybeard thanks to both of you for your responses!

Greybeard I cast the chart when I thought the question, and posted it later when I found this forum. There is a financial aspect to the question, which you wrote about Aria. There is also a time commitment every day. I can continue to learn on my own, and converse with my friends. But ultimately to be fluent, I'm not sure it's best to rely on books and friends, but instead go with formal training. I have done this on and off over the last few years. My friends tells me I am making progress, but I don't always know when I am making mistakes, since people generally understand what I am trying to say. I was thinking to go back to school to ensure I learn the subtleties of the language, especially grammar and verb conjugations. But it is a big financial investment and I am not sure if it will payoff significantly more than continuing to study on my own. I am also just learning Horary so I wanted to give it a try with a chart but really couldn't get my head around the 3h/9h rulership. Thanks so much for your time! Lori

greybeard

I learned to speak Spanish, fluently. Before mastering the language, living in Mexico, I avoided speaking ANY English. Period. None.

Which brought on the loneliest period of my life. I could not communicate satisfactorily with anyone. Humans have a deep need to touch other's minds through language.

And that terrible solitude was the goad that drove my mind to accept Spanish as its own. One night I woke up conscious that I had been dreaming in Spanish. Now I could speak English once more.

cyberlori

Aaahhh I can't wait to start dreaming in Italian. I am immersed here, and your way of learning is probably the best. I think based on this thread, I am going to wait for school, and keep practicing on my own. I think I will go back to school once I am more fluent to help correct any bad habits I am making. Thanks and Ciao!

Sunrise

Hi,

The question is for myself, with a 23 Pisces ascendant. I think the language school would be 9th house but not sure. I am from the US and currently live in Rome. I have studied Italian for a few years on my own, and trying to decide if I should go to Italian language school or keep studying on my own. The school is just up the street from where I live, so it's in my neighborhood, 3H? I would go daily Monday-Friday.

23 Pisces rising, Jupiter 21 Sag in 9th house, moon 21 Scorpio 8th house applying trine ascendant. I am thinking the applying Jupiter square means yes, and it will be difficult. Mercury rules the 3rd and is located on the ascendant at 24 pisces, applying square with Jupiter again.

Please tell me which planet you think represents the school, or any other thoughts. I am new to Horary, but not new to astrology. Thanks a lot!
I think the language school would be 9th house but not sure
Please tell me which planet you think represents the school,
9th house

if I should go to Italian language school or keep studying on my own.
The Moon here is in a very bad phase, it is in its fall, in critical degree, and in the unlucky 8th house, without light. In no good condition and can not help. It shows you and in what state you are.
Will take a first aspect with that weak mercury (Lord of your 3rd house - basic education), but if you see it is in its fall and in its detriment, shows us the basic knowledge of language that does not seem to be the best and you still have a lot of work . This Moon will meet Mercury with a trine (3rd house - the basics, the initial learning).
Jupiter (higher education - school) is also strong in Mercury's detriment. You'll probably have a lot of difficulty at school with the knowledge of your language so far. Perhaps you can not afford it financially.

The map is not very optimistic. The Moon also shows you and your psychological state of being. Being weak and isolated you can not do too much.
on a daily map, the almuten of the Asc is Mars, but also including the sing of Aries in 1st house. Mars weak in your second house that shows your finances and perhaps the expenses you will be doing.

Moreover, if you see Mercury soon will change time will be in its first station and start his retro course. Mercury is the natural ruler of every form of communication of thought and we see that you will also change your mind. Something will change.

cyberlori

Thanks for your response Sunrise! I ended up not going back to language school. Instead I decided to utilize the material I already had, like CD's and online subscriptions. I believe this was the right choice, and with the help of this forum. Not only was it a large financial investment, but also a time investment. I am studying as much if not more than if I went to class, I am making progress, and have more time and money in my pocket! I think someday going back to school could be good for me to become fluent, but not at this time. Thanks again!!