Inner houses?

dobro

The houses indicate in what area of life this or that astrological dynamic is particularly pertinent. But for me, the chief value of the astrological chart is as a map of inner territory, the psychological dimension. So, what are the inner dimensions of the houses? For example, the ninth house is about work/vocation/career. How does that work inwardly/psychologically?

Frisiangal

The houses indicate in what area of life this or that astrological dynamic is particularly pertinent. But for me, the chief value of the astrological chart is as a map of inner territory, the psychological dimension. So, what are the inner dimensions of the houses? For example, the ninth house is about work/vocation/career. How does that work inwardly/psychologically?

I'd be interested to know where that idea originated, as I have never heard it said of 9th house qualities before.

:smile:

DanTheRam

The ninth house will only signify the vocation if the M.C. is found there ( Equal/Whole sign house systems). Work and career typically comes under the tenth house, and to a certain extent the second and sixth.

The ninth house represents the higher mind corresponding to Sagittarius and Jupiter, therefore, any activities that contribute to the expansion of consciousness and the cultivation of the higher faculties will be signified by planets occupying the ninth, or the position and aspects of the ruler of the sign on the cusp if no planets occupy it.

dobro

I'd be interested to know where that idea originated, as I have never heard it said of 9th house qualities before.

Correct. My bad. TENTH house. Temporarily distracted. The question's the same though. What's the inner dimension of work and career and vocation.

Or eleventh house - what's the inner equivalent of friends and groups?

Or third house - what's the inner equivalent of communication and siblings and short journeys?

It's not really any particular house I'm interested in, it's the general principle. Do the houses have an inner, psychological dimension?

Osamenor

Staff member
First house is about who you are. Personal identity. If there are any planets in it, they indicate what you do, need, and are by and for yourself. If there are no planets in it, your sense of identity may be more of a match for other parts of your chart--Sun sign especially--but first house/rising sign is still a big part of your identity. If you have an identity crisis, it's likely to have a theme related to your first house sign, planets transiting it, or both.

Second house is about personal values. The house of money meaning is part of that because how we manage our money, and what we choose to do to make it if we have a choice, reflects what we value.

Third house is your perceptions.

Fourth house is deepest self, in addition to being the house of home and family. It's also an identity house, in that who you are in the context of your family, ethnicity, etc. is a fourth house thing.

Fifth house is what brings you joy. That's a subjective experience.

Sixth house is how you experience work, duties, and health issues if they occur. While it's usually reflected in what you do and what kinds of health issues you have, if any, it's also reflected in your subjective experience of these things.

Seventh house is how you experience relationships, of the partner variety.

Eighth house has lots of meanings, and most of them are subjective experiences. Dealing with death or trauma. Dreams. Archetypes, the collective unconscious, and your experience of it. It's also the values you share with others, particularly a partner--and is reflected in the sharing of money and other physical resources. If the second house is "I have," the eighth is "we have."

Ninth house is collective perceptions. Those of your own perceptions that are shared with those around you. Or how the collective beliefs of your society affect you.

Tenth is personal identity made public. If the fourth is the root, the tenth is the branches. Your tenth house persona may be a public one, but it comes from your deep down fourth house self.

Eleventh is the collective version of the fifth. Group endeavors. Your part in them. Your experience of them.

Twelfth is simultaneously a very personal and a very public house. While twelfth house placements tend to hide from you, the results of them tend to be very visible to others. It is, in one way, a house of self, similar to the first, only where the first house jumps up and says, "I am!" the twelfth doesn't see it as that simple. It's not exactly an "I am" or "we are" house, but there's a little of both in it. Twelfth house is how you carry archetypes for your society. It's the culmination of a life's work. It's the end of the journey and the beginning.

I hope that begins to answer your question.

david starling

H12 is about one's imagination, the "inner worlds of the imagination". [IMO] It's greatly undervalued, and even maligned, by those with limited and/or afflicted imaginative abilities.

david starling

Correct. My bad. TENTH house. Temporarily distracted. The question's the same though. What's the inner dimension of work and career and vocation.

Or eleventh house - what's the inner equivalent of friends and groups?

Or third house - what's the inner equivalent of communication and siblings and short journeys?

It's not really any particular house I'm interested in, it's the general principle. Do the houses have an inner, psychological dimension?

Merc just went retro. Best to double check EVERYTHING, and take nothing for granted. :biggrin:

dobro

Thanks for your reply. You took some time with that, so I'll do the same.

First house is about who you are. Personal identity. If there are any planets in it, they indicate what you do, need, and are by and for yourself. If there are no planets in it, your sense of identity may be more of a match for other parts of your chart--Sun sign especially--but first house/rising sign is still a big part of your identity. If you have an identity crisis, it's likely to have a theme related to your first house sign, planets transiting it, or both.

Well, questions of identity are always subjective and psychological, so yes. One time in my life, a transit over Neptune in the first house coincided with the most intense subjective experience of my life. I suppose it was an identity crisis.

Second house is about personal values. The house of money meaning is part of that because how we manage our money, and what we choose to do to make it if we have a choice, reflects what we value.

Money's external, not internal.

Third house is your perceptions.

Many people define perceptions as sensations, others define perceptions as 'understandings'. Can perceptions be internal?

Fourth house is deepest self, in addition to being the house of home and family. It's also an identity house, in that who you are in the context of your family, ethnicity, etc. is a fourth house thing.

Good. Internal.

Fifth house is what brings you joy. That's a subjective experience.

Fair enough.

Sixth house is how you experience work, duties, and health issues if they occur. While it's usually reflected in what you do and what kinds of health issues you have, if any, it's also reflected in your subjective experience of these things.

Yeah, but everything external can be described as being experienced subjectively. I've always found sixth house stuff interpreted as work, duties and health on the outside. What's inner work? What are inner duties? What's inner health? I'm starting to get an answer even as I ask the questions. That's interesting.

Seventh house is how you experience relationships, of the partner variety.

Exactly. So, who's your partner on the inside? Are we talking anima/animus here?

Eighth house has lots of meanings, and most of them are subjective experiences.

Depth is always subjective.

Ninth house is collective perceptions. Those of your own perceptions that are shared with those around you. Or how the collective beliefs of your society affect you.

Are collective considerations inner?

Tenth is personal identity made public. If the fourth is the root, the tenth is the branches. Your tenth house persona may be a public one, but it comes from your deep down fourth house self.

Persona's outer. What I want to know is if the tenth house has an inner meaning.

Eleventh is the collective version of the fifth. Group endeavors. Your part in them. Your experience of them.

The collective version of joy is getting together with friends and having a drink and a laugh and a connection. That *might* be inner. But it's not obvious.

Twelfth is simultaneously a very personal and a very public house. While twelfth house placements tend to hide from you, the results of them tend to be very visible to others. It is, in one way, a house of self, similar to the first, only where the first house jumps up and says, "I am!" the twelfth doesn't see it as that simple. It's not exactly an "I am" or "we are" house, but there's a little of both in it. Twelfth house is how you carry archetypes for your society. It's the culmination of a life's work. It's the end of the journey and the beginning.

I like that description of the twelfth. Nice.

Based on your responses and my responses to your responses, I can start to construct inner meanings for each of the houses. That's good, and that's useful, so thanks for that. I was originally wondering if anyone here always and automatically looked at the houses in terms of what they meant inwardly/subjectively/psychologically, and maybe I've found that the answer to that question is 'no'. Good to know. Thanks for taking the time.

Frisiangal

There are two very good house topics of this forum from which much can be learnt.

Go to:
Natal Astrology - Houses and Cusps - 'House Meanings' written by Greybeard.

A concise account of how houses can work externally.

Then go to :
Education Board - 'The Houses'- reply #2 by a member Amzolt.

This provides a very good example of how house influence can work internally.