In order to read a chart what is better to use, Placidus or Whole House?

Honestly, I'm struggling so hard with which one to follow as both of them seem to match my personality. Placidus seems like it'd be more accurate because it takes where you are in the world and applies how it's used.

Although, Whole house is much older and was used since forever. What do you think is the best one? I really can't decide what one matches my personality and life more.

JUPITERASC

Honestly, I'm struggling so hard with which one to follow as both of them seem to match my personality. Placidus seems like it'd be more accurate because it takes where you are in the world and applies how it's used.

Although, Whole house is much older and was used since forever. What do you think is the best one? I really can't decide what one matches my personality and life more.

the origins of the house division debate in ancient astrology :smile:
https://theastrologypodcast.com/201...e-house-division-debate-in-ancient-astrology/

Why I Switched to Whole Sign Houses - by astrologer Kelly Surtees
https://www.kellysastrology.com/2018/07/16/why-i-switched-to-whole-sign-houses/

waybread

I also find that Placidus and whole signs work well for me, matching different facets of my life.

I view the question kind of like taking a photograph of someone's face: it will look different depending upon whether you photograph a profile, an oblique view, or the front. Yet all the photos are of the same person.

Each house system is based upon different assumptions, so as you study the house systems, you might also determine which one/s seem most sensible to you.

Frisiangal

Each house system is based upon different assumptions,

I understand the geographical math on what house system calculations are based, yet I have never understood what the meaning of the 'different assumptions' are in describing what/how their effects are upon a natal chart.
Whichever system is used, each house always represents the same realm of a life cycle. Are we talking of explanations of life cycle influences that are only physical, psychological, random, fateful, positioned, etc. of nature, that can or cannot be changed?

My chart positions change hardly at all if I exchange Placidus for Whole Signs (even with relocation!). Only Pluto moves from 11 to 12th house. Equal house moves 9th house Mercury-Venus to 8th house, and doesn't seem to fit a Gemini influenced 10th house cusp career in foreign communication activities at all. So it was immediately ruled out.

My son's chart (whose life history has practically been revealed here over the years:biggrin:) has wide and therefore intercepted/double houses. Using Whole Signs every planet changes house, producing an entirely different concept of what his life entails.

Is it merely a question of 'mindset' in planet in house interpretation?
I once did a mental exercise in which I placed every planet in its natal sign in each of the 12 houses. I could find 'something' in life that could agree with each position.
If an astrologer 'fixes' on and follows a particular house system of interpretation to his client, the client will be inclined to accept that version and not bother to query further whether (s)he experiences it so … or not?

What I believe should also be considered is the role of long term transits and especially secondary progressions through the houses; i.e. forward motion. These are going to bring about changes in what the house realm signifies. What occured earlier may be experienced as always having been evident, whereas it was an event at the time that could have changed how the individual acted, thought and/or felt in the future.

sworm09

Lol I'm super biased, so Whole Signs buttttttt

Use what makes sense to you. I use Whole Signs because the logic of Whole Signs makes the most sense within the context of the techniques I use. That's the biggest thing with any technique or system in astrology. You need to be able to provide an argument for why you use what you use, don't just use it because it seems like it works. Like waybread said, each house system has a slew of assumptions that its built on, placing priority on some factors over others, so it would definitely help to learn about all of the house system. Ryhan Butler has a Twitter thread that goes into the assumptions of all of the house systems. Just search it up on Google and read that over a few times.

Placidus is a cool system. I like all of the time based house systems, though I tend to incline more to Alcabitius if I'm going to use one for something.

Also oldest doesn't necessarily mean best. That's a fallacy that I see a lot of Whole Sign house users fall face first into.

waybread

I understand the geographical math on what house system calculations are based, yet I have never understood what the meaning of the 'different assumptions' are in describing what/how their effects are upon a natal chart.

This might be something like a house system based on the celestial equator, which doesn't actually exist in reality. I actually prefer the more natural basis of Porphyry, but it doesn't seem to describe my life so well.

Whichever system is used, each house always represents the same realm of a life cycle. Are we talking of explanations of life cycle influences that are only physical, psychological, random, fateful, positioned, etc. of nature, that can or cannot be changed?

My chart positions change hardly at all if I exchange Placidus for Whole Signs (even with relocation!). Only Pluto moves from 11 to 12th house. Equal house moves 9th house Mercury-Venus to 8th house, and doesn't seem to fit a Gemini influenced 10th house cusp career in foreign communication activities at all. So it was immediately ruled out.

My son's chart (whose life history has practically been revealed here over the years:biggrin:) has wide and therefore intercepted/double houses. Using Whole Signs every planet changes house, producing an entirely different concept of what his life entails.

I have a very late degree rising, so a lot of my planets change houses in whole signs vs. Placidus, a quadrant-based system.

Is it merely a question of 'mindset' in planet in house interpretation?
I once did a mental exercise in which I placed every planet in its natal sign in each of the 12 houses. I could find 'something' in life that could agree with each position.
If an astrologer 'fixes' on and follows a particular house system of interpretation to his client, the client will be inclined to accept that version and not bother to query further whether (s)he experiences it so … or not?

This subjectivity probably has a lot to do with why astrology "works" for so many people. The 12 houses symbolize areas of life that we all experience, even if imaginatively or negatively.

What I believe should also be considered is the role of long term transits and especially secondary progressions through the houses; i.e. forward motion. These are going to bring about changes in what the house realm signifies. What occured earlier may be experienced as always having been evident, whereas it was an event at the time that could have changed how the individual acted, thought and/or felt in the future.

Agreed. Theoretically, looking at how our lives change when a planet changes house should be a way to determine the cusps, and hence which house system works best for us. However, some astrologers believe that a planet's influence will be felt in the next house when it is within 5 degrees of the cusp.So there may be a zone of transition rather than a sharp demarcation.

Osamenor

Staff member
I really can't decide what one matches my personality and life more.

That's because they both do.

Feel free to play with them. You don't have to wed yourself to one house system. You can use Placidus some of the time and whole sign some of the time, if you want to experiment. You can also try other house systems.

I have a slightly hybrid approach: I cast charts in Placidus, and any placement that's in the same house Placidus as it is in whole sign, I just read for that house. If a placement is in one house Placidus and another house whole sign (for example, first house Placidus but second house whole sign) I read it primarily for where the meanings of the houses overlap. Adjacent houses always have a bit of common ground. In my example of first and second houses, both have to do with the self and the body: first house is self in general and body in general; second house deals with personal values, self image, and body image.

Lin

As said above: you are the same person whichever chart system you use.

All of your traits, talents, emotions, impulses and aspirations are the same. The system of reading your chart doesn't change these things.'

PICK ONE. And stick with it. Right now you are just using your own chart. But if you begin reading charts of others, what will you do? Ask THEM to figure out which chart THEY think fits them? No.

You need to pick one and have confidence in it - that is says all it needs to say, one way or another.

IF the chart system changed anything, then all solar charts, equal house charts and other systems would be WRONG! But they aren't. When you get to understand the planets and aspects you will see this for yourself.

LIN