Quick Q? on asteroids

waybread

There is no quick answer.

There are thousands of asteroids out there, and even if somehow they all influenced your life, right now I don't think we have a reasonable way of sorting them.

So the key is to use asteroids judiciously. Know what you are looking for.

1. The older-discovered asteroids generally have a story to tell, because they were named for figures in mythology. When they conjunct a planet or sensitive point, they tend to flavour or colour its basic sign-house-aspect meanings.

I would pretty much just stick with narrow-orb conjunctions. Otherwise if you look at even all of the major aspects, you drive yourself crazy. The exception is that if you work with midpoints, and find an asteroid exactly conjunct it, I think it will say something about the two-planet blend.

2. "Namesake" asteroids seem to have meaning. Not everyone has an asteroid carrying his or her name, but if you find them, they are very useful in synastry. You have to consider cognate names in different languages here. For example, the name "Louis" could be "Lewis", Luis, Luigi, Ludwig, or Lugh. My husband's namesake asteroid conjuncts my sun. Asteroid Hillary conjuncts Bill Clinton's moon.

3. If you find an asteroid name whose mythology or real-world meaning has real resonance for you, look and see where it falls in your chart.