pluto opposite mercury

johan

hello!
i have pluto 23 virgo in my 12th house and mercury 23 pisces in my 6th
I have just 'experienced' the pluto transite on 23th sagittarius I think
making squares to this opposition.Can someone give me more information about this(maybe someone who has experienced this too :wink: )

Johan,36 years and living in the netherlands
COMPLIMENTS for Radu for this forum!very interesting have to read very much of the discussions in the forum,I am reading a lot of astrology on the internet and in books had this interest longer but now it has my full attention and i am going to follow astrology lessons soon

Amazon1963

Johan,

I am confused about your question. Is your question 'Is a transit able to square an opposition'? or do you seek to understand the aspect and transiting Pluto squaring one or both of the planets? Here is some information on the natal aspect of Mercury Opposition Pluto.

MERCURY OPPOSITION PLUTO - The opposition between Mercury and Pluto gives a power and depth to your mind that will enable you to get to the root of any issue. You can perceive the hidden connections between the facts and are therefore suited to any form of research. You may be over-forceful when expressing your opinions, regarding any opposition or disagreement as a direct challenge that must be met and won by any means, and when seriously provoked you are able to launch a devastating verbal attack on the perpetrator.

You are sensitive to the unspoken, and often unconscious motivations of others, and you may at times think that other people are using their authority or position of power to control or coerce your thinking; you will react angrily at such times. As with all oppositions, your own need to control, and your own mental turmoil may be projected on to someone else, there is a danger of blaming others for conflicts and doubts that originate from within yourself, thus provoking them into the very behaviour that you fear.

There is a lot more to understanding your natal chart than just one aspect or transit. Other planets may be aspected with Pluto as well.

If you would like more information on your chart or further questions on Mercury oppose Pluto, please include your birth data including, date, time, place of birth, along with the question.

You have come to a great place to learn about astrology, welcome! :)

Amazon1963

sita

johann and amazon, hi. i, too, have pluto opp my mercury, nd amazon, i want to thank you for the info. i'm wondering where you got your interpretation from, because it resonated, and if it is something that you found online, i would love to get my little paws on more from that source. thanks, sita

johan

thank you Amazon1963,
I am not always as clear as I would like to be but the question was partly answered,I wanted the information of the meaning of Mercury opposition Pluto in the natal chart and the influence of the transit of Pluto lately on this opposition in the natal chart(it made a square to both of the planets,am I right?)I am aware that there are more aspects and planets to be considered,but I picked this one out because it felt to me like a strong aspect which put my life upside down :lol:
thank you Sita,and a question:also in the 6th and 12th house?

I will try to put my natal chart on the forum soon but I am not very handy with this so have a little(that means much!)patience with me.
Thanks again for welcoming me!

Summery Joy

Hello and welcome Johan,

This is an interesting question. I'd liek to know the answer too. I'm working on learning transit interpretation myself and the aspect you're talking about should be very powerful.

In a natal chart, when two planets are in opposition to one another and they both square a third planet, this is called a T-Square. The type of energy from this T-square varies according to the planets involved but it is directed to the empty area that opposes the squared planet (the area that would form a grand sqaure had planet been located there).

I wonder if a T-square formed by a transitting planet would have a similar effect. Yours should be very powerful because you have two Plutos involved, a natal one and a transitting one. WOW!

Amazon1963

Johan,

Please just post your birth data and the group will be able to input the data themselves using their software or whatever they use to view charts. You dont have to be 'handy' with pasting a chart, just share the date, time, and location. If Pluto is indeed transiting and creating a square to both 12th and 6th house, we could help you more if we knew precisely what house Pluto was transiting and to what degree, is it near the Nadir, etc?

You understand it is much easier to 'see' something than to have it described... :wink: Also, there is much more to interpreting an aspect than just a simple interpretation, there is the 'sign' that influences the planet, the house influences, and so forth. Without a chart to see, one cannot ascertain if the planet is conjunct with another house, etc.

Without 'seeing' your chart, Johan, I cannot tell you more than the basic interpretation of the aspect. The following paragraphs are interpretive of the natal aspect of Mercury Oppose Pluto, not the transit of Mercury opposing Pluto.

This excerpt is from the book written by Robert Pelletier, 'Planets in Aspect' and his fuller interpretation of the aspect, Mercury Oppose Pluto:

With your Mercury opposition Pluto, mental and emotional anxiety prevails. You are extremely sensitive to any social problems you observe and cannot rest until you've made some effort to resolve them. Everything is in a state of crisis, you feel, until you can gather your forces to solve a problem that you sincerely believe is your responsibility. You are impatient with yourself and others to get things done immediately. You are certainly competent, but you need to be constantly reassured of this, so you project crises in your own life and with the people around you. Moderation and compromise are necessary if you wish to prevent others from breaking off with you.

When challenged, you are emotionally and intellectually arrogant, because you fear that your credibility is being questioned. You tend to draw premature conclusions based only on the obvious aspects of a situation. A more penetrating examiniation might reveal details that would force you to modify your judgement. You will have to cope with this problem before you can successfully handle your professional interests. Many difficulties will persist with your co-workers, who will not tolerate you unless you change your attitude.

You are suited for such fields as medicine, research, analysis, union activities, chemistry, and teaching. However, you must come to grips with the qualities that make it difficult for others to get along with you. You are extremely argumentative when provoked, and this can interfere with realizing your goals. Learn to mind your own business, and learn to respect the feelings of others. This can help greatly in gaining their cooperation and support when you need it, as everyone does on occasion. Others will appreciate your efforts if you compromise a little.

Finding a suitable mate may not be difficult for you, but you are more likely to keep the mate you find if you will meet your partner halfway in compromise. Your strong ambition and desire for financial security may drive a wedge of dissent between you. If you disagree about important matters it would be wise to seek guidance from someone who is an authority in such things. Resist the desire to project your ideas onto your partner or to make unacceptable demands. This will alienate your mate as surely as it does your associates.

Ideally, your partner's objectives should be consistent with yours; then you could undertake a cooperative program in which you would support each other.

You can enjoy continuing good health if you will try to do everything in moderation. Unwind by getting away from the pressure of competition. Your savings are very important, for they will allow you to be less anxious when unexpected expenses occur. But remember, in your relationships with others, what you are is more important that what you have.

Whew... :wink: good thing I can type faster than most people can talk, huh? Now if I could just get my brain to work that quickly... :D

Sita,

My apologies to you, I cannot tell you precisely where I found the notes on my original post. I will keep an eye out for the site though! Earlier this year when I started to learn in interest, my intent at the time was more directed towards gathering the information not citing its source. I never thought I would be using it for more than a private purpose. I hope the Pelletier excerpt was of assistance to you in further understanding.

Nora,

Thank you for your input! I didnt even think about a T-square! I am suspecting that Johan either has Pluto transiting either near or on his Nadir or Midheaven, especially when he described the transit as feeling like it was 'turning his life upside down'.

Amazon

johan

Hello Amazon1963,I have tried to use the chart generator of this site,but I don't know how it works so here is my birth chart

Sun 5-53 aries Cheiron 2-44 aries
Moon 13-27 cancer AC 0-25 libra
Mercury 23-14 pisces MC 0-33 cancer
Venus 25-25 aries Vertex 0-59 aries
Mars 11-26 sagittarius Northnode 0-08 aries
Jupiter 0-31 libra Pars fortunae 7-59 capricorn
Saturn 25-42 aries
Uranus 1-48 libra
Neptune 28-31 scorpio
Pluto 23-27 virgo

Born on the 26th of march 1969,18.28 in Slikkerveer,the Netherlands

Amazon1963

Johan,

Thank you for your natal data, it makes it much easier to build and interpret a chart. I read on another thread where you are interested in Rhudyar's work and thats a good way to start! Rhudyar is considered profound. Especially since the aspect(s) were profound enough to motivate you to write to the forum!

My daughter has been going through something similar to your experience with Pluto as well. Her Pluto has not squared her natal Pluto yet, but it will very soon. Periods of upheaval and pressures that seem to come from out of nowhere! She too, has Libra rising as well.

As I suspected, the transiting Pluto is squaring your natal Pluto and its going to be affecting you for a little while longer. I also noted that Uranus is squaring your Mars.

Squares in the transit natal chart should be viewed as a time when a big effort is required by the person experiencing it to face the challenges it presents. If you 'fear' or run from the challenge it will restrict your energy available to deal effectively with whatever problems or challenges the square presents.

Pluto is transiting my 1st house, Pluto has been in opposition to my moon, squaring my Uranus, etc for a number of years now. I learned the harder I pushed back against controlling forces through either confrontation or escapist techniques, the worse the situation became and the angrier and more resentful I became. Since realizing this and learning and accepting that these are 'life' lessons that I need to learn to be a better person overall and have a better life, my attitude overall has definitely improved! Oh of course things/people still rear their heads at me in the form of 'controlling' types in my life, thats just life, the difference is in how I cope and deal with them.

This site contains interpretations from the same book that I own, by Robert Hand, and is available online so I wont type it, you can go and read for yourself. If you havent done so already by all means use the astrodienst site, its free, insightful and is a great tool for building charts.

http://www.astro.com

Some years ago I had a brilliant anatomy professor who was idly chatting with a small group of us in the class one day. He related to some of our scholastic struggles into advanced anatomy and physiology and how it had been difficult subject for him as well. Well, that surprised me! The man was extremely intelligent in my estimation and not just because he held a doctorate or taught the course. The professor went on to explain that in medical school he and the other students werent much different than us, some were very studious and focused and others lacked some initiative and got by with as little studying as possible. He and some buddies taunted and teased one fellow who always had a minimum of six books on every single course they studied.

One day the future professor stopped and asked him about the 'whys' he had so very many books on hand for each and every subject and wasnt spending that money on other things. His fellow student replied that he had done some reading on the learning process since he was having difficulties on grasping some courses. In the course of his reading, he read about a psychologist who was an expert on learning and cognitive theories explained that learning is reinforced through at least six different perspectives. So to end this story, my professor made it through and received his doctorate and achieved moderate success as the head of the science department of the college I attended and his buddy is now one of the nation's top neuro-vascular surgeons in this country, owns an institute that instructs other physicians in the same field and also co-owns a major hospital in a large metropolitan city, here in the USA. So much for spending your extra money on things other than learning if you are serious on the subject... :wink:

The professor's story and advice have resounded for me for years. I always try to read at least six different perspectives on the same subject and it works very well compounding theories I was familiar with but also assists in insights that might not have been apparent in a prior theory. I feel he gave me a 'gift' or 'blessing' and I always share what I am blessed with if I think it will help others. So I will help you by encouraging you to read the aspects discussed in your forecast on the Astro.com site, provide you with my own notes (even if I can't cite the sites, sorry Sita, still looking!), and with the internet at your fingertips, I'm sure you can find a multitude of other sources to read and compound your learning.

PLUTO TRANSITING YOUR 2ND HOUSE (approx. 14-30 years duration)
You may desire greater material security during this period. Initially you may suffer severe loss or destruction of personal property, or severe reversals of fortune. As you recover financial control, you may become more involved in joint finances, corporate funds, taxes, insurance, and pensions. You may become increasingly resourceful and find new uses for outworn or discarded things. You hunt for ways to regenerate wealth and build security.

PLUTO TRANSITING YOUR 3RD HOUSE (approx. 14-30 years duration)
During this period you may desire greater access and control over information. You may be prone to discredit through exposed secrets and misuse of confidential information. As a precaution, you may tend to closely monitor and guard your thinking patterns and your communication, eliminating old assumptions and mental attitudes. Freedom of information, free speech, and censorship can be emotional issues. Caution is needed in signing important papers and contracts. Caution also is advised in negotiating traffic when traveling.

Here is the interpretation for the square:

PLUTO SQUARE YOUR PLUTO (Long-duration, 5-10+ weeks)
Occurs between age 40-65 according to your generation. This period can be significant to your eventual retirement. It's a good time to reevaluate your financial security plans, your will, taxes, and insurance. Eliminate financially unproductive areas and put more effort into meaningful pursuits. You may face termination of employment or a financial position that could force you to become more resourceful. With others in your age group, you may have to reevaluate attitudes towards death and survival, sharing and trust.

Also Uranus has just completed transiting your 5th house and has just entered the 6th. Like the Pluto transit and square wasn't enough 'fun', here's more 'fun' to contend with:

URANUS TRANSITING YOUR 5TH HOUSE (approx. 7 years duration)
You may have a desire for greater freedom, originality, and excitement in your creative and pleasure-seeking self-expression during this period. Your social and romantic life can be more stimulating, but you are prone to unstable romantic infatuations. Unexpected pregnancy is more likely to occur at this time. Children may behave more erratically. Speculation can bring sudden gains and losses. You may tend to associate more with artistic, innovative, and eccentric friends.

URANUS TRANSITING YOUR 6TH HOUSE (approx. 7 years duration)
During this period you may tend to desire greater freedom and excitement in your work. You may be involved in union or group activities. You may use technological innovation in the work environment. Your employment situation tends to be unstable and you are prone to sudden changes of jobs. Health problems may be due to nervousness or eccentric tastes in diet. Favorable for computer, engineering, and health professions.

URANUS SQUARE YOUR MARS (Long-duration, 5-10+ weeks)
You may feel tense due to unexpected changes which make you subject to quarrels and outbursts of temper towards friends and colleagues. You may desire freedom at any cost. Discipline your rebellious originality, and use moderation and ingenuity in your actions. Avoid foolish risks which could cause accidents with explosives, machinery, or electricity.

Remember to read that interpretation by Robert Hand as well. Read everything you can about having the energies of Mercury in Pisces in the 6th house, Pluto in Virgo in the 12th, and your Mars in Sag in the 3rd house. Dont just read an excerpt of an interpretation, read it and apply the sign's energies and the planet's flow of those energies within your self and natal chart.

It isnt all bad. There are lots of 'good' aspects going on in your life as well! Balance and harmony are there for you, Johan.

In closing, there is an open thread about Pluto transits on the forum under the topic, 'natal and predictive astrology', I hope you will also read those posts and they help you as well. TC Wilson, Elianah, Baker, (just to name a few) and many others here are very generous in sharing their experience and insight if you have further questions and dont hesitate to ask them. Without any doubts, we all learn from this forum, no matter the level of experience and expertise or, the lack of it... :D

Ok, my Mars transiting my 5th house beckons and I must go fulfill the transit interpretation to the best of my ability!

MARS TRANSITING YOUR 5TH HOUSE (approx. 65 days duration)
The accent is on romance and fun. You'll enjoy barbecues, exhibitions, hobbies, games with children, and love affairs. You can perfect your creative skills, or entertain and amuse others. Design something artistic. Improve your lifestyle. If you're not in shape, don't try foolish stunts or living dangerously.

I just wont go skydiving... :wink:

Amazon1963

johan

Thank you amazon!

A lot of reading to do,but i am looking forward to it
Would like your natal chart too

Lots of romance and fun with your mars in the fifth!

For everyone feel free to react and share your astrological
knowledge with me
For Sita,in what houses do you have the opposition mercury-pluto?

Amazon1963

Johan,

You are quite welcome and I hope others may take the time to offer any other insight into your original question. I hope the information helps you to gain insight and keep your interest in continuing to learn astrology!

Here is my natal data, June 14, 1963 @ 18:25 EST, Augusta, Georgia, USA

Sita!!!!

Here is the link! Said I would keep looking and here you go!

http://www.astroscoped.com/astrology/astrology.html

Now I have no excuse not to cite my source on those notes!

Amazon1963

sita

pluto-merc

amazon and johan! hi, hi!
yay! i'm so excited about the new link!!! muchas gracias, my dear amazon. i'm one, too, (an amazon) but the universe put me in a tiny little body this time, i think, to try to get me tone it down a bit and atleast ATTEMPT to be a little more "civilized"... ahhh... the irony, but the package makes for quite a surprising wallop to patriarchy when so much direct force comes from such a cute little thing...

johann, my comrade in a mercury pluto opposition: to anwser your question, i have pluto in the eighth house conjunct libra true node, opposing my retrograde mercury, sun and south node in aries 2nd house. pluto here rocks my world.... over and over and over again. lots of dramatic changes, volatile emotions, and intense relationships, really, but it seems to be the seed for such incredible growth that i have to love it for what it makes of me.

the merc-pluto relationship makes me obscenely perceptive, psychoanalytical, passionate and blindsided in communication, and a mighty powerful speaker, which unfortunately can create opposition in others because i have some pretty unconventional views to go with this aspect with uranus in scorpio in the ninth house. i love the energy in terms of the the potency of the insight it gives TO me, but when that same potency is turned on others when my communication device is turned outward, it is too strong for most people who aren't generally into RECIEVING information as strongly as i am equipped to do. I forget this when i deal with people, and quite generally, it is terribly painful because i never really seem to make a light and graceful connect. writing and other indirect forms of expression (dance, singing, and visual arts) seem, really, to be my best option to expressing myself without insulting others...

what's it do for you?

johan

Hi Sita!

What does this opposition do for me?
Well you are saying it,when I want to communicate(mercury) with other people to expres my thoughts(mercury)it comes out too strong(pluto).That is something I recognize.I am trying to overpower them immediately,and that has the opposit result!How it works out through the houses and signs combined with other aspects I don't know yet,is something i will try to learn by reading and this forum :oops:

For me a powerful transit is the square pluto makes with pluto natal,I am convinced of that because everything in my life is turned upside down:work ,visions,the place where i am living,relationships,how the world is looking today really,and what my responsibility is in the world etc. etc.
Sita,thanks for reacting!

Amazon1963

Sita wrote:

i'm so excited about the new link!!! muchas gracias, my dear amazon. i'm one, too, (an amazon) but the universe put me in a tiny little body this time, i think, to try to get me tone it down a bit and atleast ATTEMPT to be a little more "civilized"... ahhh... the irony, but the package makes for quite a surprising wallop to patriarchy when so much direct force comes from such a cute little thing...

You are very welcome Sita! Glad I was able to locate it.

It is the life challenges that help to mold and create an 'Amazon', physical stature or strength, notwithstanding. Pick your 'fights' wisely and save those 'spears' for those most deserving of them. This is the wisdom that separates those who serve the problem and those who solve the problem! :wink:

Johan,

Appears as though you are definitely on the path to understanding Pluto and its effect on you through transits and natal positions! :D

Amazon1963

johan

Hello Amazon!

Still learning...thank goodness there is a library:robert hand,stephen arroyo,liz greene...

The road goes ever on and on,down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the road has gone and I must follow if I can,
Pursuiing it with eager feet until it meets some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet and whither than I cannot say..

Recognize this..from which book?
Thanks amazon

Amazon1963

Well Johan, I truly do not know what book/author wrote what you quoted. My first guess was Liz Greene, but, Arroyo and Hand, both also use quotes/poetry to reaffirm or assist their readers in understanding. It would appear that the entry 'resounded' within you and is inspiring. Introspection through astrology can be very enlightening and informative at the same time, huh?

Glad to hear that your local library offers some sort of a selection for you to use in your studies, that is a big plus! I'm unsure how one would order books online in the Netherlands, however, Amazon.com (no relation to me) has been tremendous in assisting my search for many books that are out of circulation and are considered valuable tools in astrology.

Be well!

Amazon1963

johan

I have put you on the wrong track here,amazon!

It's from Tolkien,of 'The hobbit',the prelude of 'Lord of the rings'.These are favourite books of mine.Later on I red an esoteric explanation of these books by a dutch astrologer/writer,who explained among other things that a lot of the book was concerned with the role of pluto in the time we are living now.I found it applicable to use this quote :D

Ordering books on line is no problem in the Netherlands.By the way astro.com is great,very helpful,builded my chart already and combined it with the insights of Robert Hand,and compared my chart with charts of different persons I know.Explaining them is another thing,definitely gonna buy'planets in composition'by Robert Hand.

Be well too,Johan

Amazon1963

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johan,

No one appreciates a good laugh out loud than this Sag rising! I read the excerpt and was like...uhhhhhh :? Work and play time are taking their tolls on my brain these days.

Greene, Hand and Arroyo, all three are usually very technical in their approaches to astrology! I think thats what threw me off track, that and just mental fatigue! They will use quotes and some spiritual approach but most of their work is from a scientific approach.

Ok, LOTR and the excerpt make a lot more sense to me now! I am envisioning the hairy lil' Hobbit feet now making their journey to Mordor! I can also 'see' how it resonates for you as you begin your own 'journey' in learning astrology. Perhaps later on you might start a discussion on the subject.

Interesting how the astrologer made the correllation with Tolkien's work and Pluto. Certainly many symbolic meanings of the events, character crisis/resolutions and their personalities are glaringly evident, even to those not trained in literary analysis or astrology. Cosmic energies and cycles are there if we look for them and their correllations with both the individual and the collective at large.

Awesome that you wont have problems ordering books! 8) Astrodienst is a wonderful site indeed and so is our own Astrology Weekly hosted by Radu! He has very generously supplied many interpretations for aspects, energies of the signs, etc. I for one, am very grateful for his work... :)

Amazon1963

johan said:
hello!
i have pluto 23 virgo in my 12th house and mercury 23 pisces in my 6th
I have just 'experienced' the pluto transite on 23th sagittarius I think
making squares to this opposition.Can someone give me more information about this(maybe someone who has experienced this too :wink: )

Johan,36 years and living in the netherlands
COMPLIMENTS for Radu for this forum!very interesting have to read very much of the discussions in the forum,I am reading a lot of astrology on the internet and in books had this interest longer but now it has my full attention and i am going to follow astrology lessons soon

Pluto squares dig up disfunctional patterns from deep within the psyche (the 'underworld'). Especially when Mercury is involved. The patterns can be anger, dishonesty, cruelty, etc.
When Pluto squares natal Pluto it can reveal profound corruption on the soul level that must be eliminated because these patterns of corruption tether us to pain and dysfunction.
Pluto encourages us to embrace an ideal and to express that ideal and to become it.

johan

Thanks jcw for your insights,

But can you or anyone else can say something more of this opposition in connection with the houses and signs of this opposition.In my case pluto-12th-virgo/mercury- 6th-pisces,which is triggered by the square pluto?
It has turned everything upside down and i mean EVERYTHING(although uranus is also important i think,when it entered my 6th house and like amazon1963 wrote making a square with natal mars)

Any insights are welcome!!!

johan said:
Thanks jcw for your insights,

But can you or anyone else can say something more of this opposition in connection with the houses and signs of this opposition.In my case pluto-12th-virgo/mercury- 6th-pisces,which is triggered by the square pluto?
It has turned everything upside down and i mean EVERYTHING(although uranus is also important i think,when it entered my 6th house and like amazon1963 wrote making a square with natal mars)

Any insights are welcome!!!

Same answer with additional info.
Pluto in the 12th house blocks all escape routes, it presents issues which MUST be handled.. The 12th house is your house of 'karma'. Virgo is primarily related to your physical body (mutable earth). Mercury in the 6th house (natural placement of Virgo) relates also to your body (a 'servant' of your spirit / indwelling consciousness). So, if your birth time is accurate then you should be experiencing some kind of re-evaluation about how you treat your body (diet, exercise, relaxation, etc.).
The Pluto transit (squaring both natal pluto and natal mercury) should bring up some "seeds" (thought patterns in this instance) from deep within the subconscious (pluto 'underworld') that will eventually harm you if left unattended.
If the square is affecting you in another area, other than physical health, then (opinion) it is likely that your birth time is incorrect. For instance, if you are experiencing issues with your spouse or significant other it suggests that the pluto/mercury opposition is in your 1st and 7th houses.
Or if the issues come up in groups and children (or artistic creations) then the 11th and 5th houses are involved.
If you are absolutely certain of your birth time then (opinion) the issues that the transiting pluto will raise should be regarding your physical health habits and your body.
Without more information, this is my conclusion.

If you are uncertain of your birth time then you can use the pluto transit as an opportunity to rectify your birth chart.
Pluto squares are powerful transits, there should be no doubt regarding what areas of life (houses) are being affected.