The Moon

SunW

Let's share experience about our natal Moon. Mother, relatives of one's mother and everything else.

I think that if one of the outer planets has an aspect to our Moon, the Moon can describe very well our grandmother or great grandmother. But they also describe all the other relatives. Could you confirm my observations?

I have Moon in Sagittarius and my mother has nothing to do with the characteristics of that sign. But her both parents have Sun in Sagittarius. And they were teachers and knew a foreign language. The Moon and Neptune have a trine to Mercury. Moon in Sagittarius - my mother's mother was well known and respected in her town.

My Moon is in conjunction with Neptune - my mother's parents were playng violin and taught their children to play the violin too. My grandmother liked singing and was a conductor.

The Moon has a sextile to Pluto and my mother's father had difficult childhood. His father was kidnapped. Some people find him but he becomes sick - had tuberculosis and he and all of my grandfather's brothers and sisters die.

I don't know how further back in time we can trace events in the family of one's mother, looking at the Moon and its aspects.

What do you have to share about your Moon and your mother's relatives?

JUPITERASC

Let's share experience about our natal Moon. Mother, relatives of one's mother and everything else.

I think that if one of the outer planets has an aspect to our Moon, the Moon can describe very well our grandmother or great grandmother. But they also describe all the other relatives. Could you confirm my observations?

I have Moon in Sagittarius and my mother has nothing to do with the characteristics of that sign. But her both parents have Sun in Sagittarius. And they were teachers and knew a foreign language. The Moon and Neptune have a trine to Mercury. Moon in Sagittarius - my mother's mother was well known and respected in her town.

My Moon is in conjunction with Neptune - my mother's parents were playng violin and taught their children to play the violin too. My grandmother liked singing and was a conductor.

The Moon has a sextile to Pluto and my mother's father had difficult childhood. His father was kidnapped. Some people find him but he becomes sick - had tuberculosis and he and all of my grandfather's brothers and sisters die.

I don't know how further back in time we can trace events in the family of one's mother, looking at the Moon and its aspects.

some interesting data for you posted at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56093

e.g.

(1) Your Moon is the same sign as one or more of your father/mother's Sun, Moon, ASC/DESC/MC/IC/Mercury/Venus/Mars/Jupiter or Saturn

My mother is a Capricorn sun, moon, and Saturn. I am a Capricorn moon. Her Saturn is conjunct my moon. Not comfortable at all, for either of us. My middle brother is a Cancer sun; my mother is a Cancer ascendant and my father was a Cancer moon. In my own family, both of my children are Virgo moons and I am a Virgo sun. In my husband's family, he is a Pisces moon and his mother and our daughter are both Pisces suns. My FIL's Pisces Saturn also sits on my husband's moon.

(2) Your Sun is the same sign as one or more of your father/mother's Sun, Moon ASC/DESC/MC/IC/
Mercury/Venus/Mars/Jupiter/Saturn

Mine isn't, but my husband and son are both Aries suns. My father was born August 23, but by birth time and location was a Leo (August 23 is one of the most tricksy birthdays astrologically, it seems). He had Venus and Mercury conjunct in Virgo. I am a Virgo sun, born August 27, and have Venus and Merc in loose conjunction in Leo. I always thought that was interesting. My oldest brother is a Virgo moon.

(3) Your Ascendant is the same sign as one or more of your father/mother's Sun, Moon ASC/DESC/MC/IC
/Mercury/Venus/Mars/Jupiter/Saturn

Hahahaha, yes. My dad and I were both Leo rising. My son is also Leo rising. They are all placed no more than two degrees apart from each other. (I laughed because my son was a preemie and my mother had everything but the time keyed in to the computer when the date was determined -- I had severe preeclampsia and he was delivered by emergency c-section. When she did the chart and told me he was a 10 deg. Leo rising to my eight, I cracked up, and that laughter was much appreciated!)

Basically - is one of more of your ASC/DESC/IC/MC/Moon/Sun/Mercury/Venus/Mars/Jupiter/Saturn the same sign as one or more of your father/mother's ASC/DESC/MC/IC/Mercury/Venus/Mars/Jupiter/Saturn signs? :smile:

Just a tad, especially with me. My two older brothers brought completely different signs to the astrological gene pool. I am the most tied, astrologically, to our parents -- and, paradoxically, was always the most rebellious. One interesting thing about the three of us, at least to me: my eldest brother has no water in his chart. My middle brother has no earth. I have no air. I wonder if Mom and Dad had had a fourth, s/he would have had no fire? :wink: We all have Venus and Mercury conjunct -- in different signs, but nonetheless we share that aspect with our father, who also had it. (An interesting tidbit: I am 13 and 11 years younger than my brothers.)

... and after I read through this I got the impression that JUPITERASC is interested in gathering info about this subject, so I have more to add regarding my kids, in-laws, nieces and nephews (I promise not to write War and Peace, lol).

Taurus: My oldest brother, by all appearances, introduced Taurus to our DNA. It does not exist in either of our parents' charts nor, as far as I can tell, does it go farther back (but one starts to run into difficulties with birth time and such then, so it's hard to tell). My bro is a Taurus sun/ascendant. There are six bio. grandchildren (two more adopted) on my side of the family. One nephew and my daughter are both Taurus rising (and they're 19 years apart; he's the oldest grandchild, she's the youngest). A niece (who is also my godchild) has her moon in Taurus. My son has Venus and Mercury conjunct in Taurus.

Scorpio: My kids' generation brought Scorpio to the family. Two of my nieces are Scorpio suns (in fact, the one with the Taurus moon is also a Scorp sun, and they oppose each other). My daughter has Mars in Scorpio (and can you ever tell; that is NOT a criticism). All three girls, despite having three different sets of parents and quite an age spread, are very much alike temperamentally. The eldest niece also picked up that Capricorn moon from my mother.

Aquarius: My middle brother is an Aquarius moon. My nephew -- son of my other brother -- is an Aquarius sun AND moon.

We're a Fixed lot, aren't we?

My husband's side:

MIL, Pisces sun/Sag moon. (I don't know her birth time, so I have to do a 12 noon chart for her. I don't dare ask; it wouldn't be prudent.) Her own mother was also a Pisces sun; one of my husband's cousins shares his grandmother's birthday. My MIL has Venus in Aries, as do my husband and daughter. She also shares a Saturn in Aries placement with my son and a Jupiter in Aries placement with my daughter. Hmm. Three of her six grandchildren are Pisces suns (my daughter, one niece, and one nephew). Two are Aries suns (my son and another nephew). No Sag there that I know of, but again I can't ask that side of the family what their birth times are and why I want them.

FIL, Scorpio sun/Capricorn moon. One Scorpio granddaughter. His Pisces Saturn sits on my husband's moon. He has absolutely nothing in common with either of my children astrologically, unless his unknown ascendant would change that. He and I have a lot of conjunctions and/or oppositions (including Saturn), which I find interesting since I married into the family.

Again here, my husband is the youngest and the one with the strongest astrological ties (in his case, to his mother). His sister is a Cancer sun and his brother's an Aquarius sun; I don't know the rest of their astrology but I know there's a pattern of detachment in that family and I wonder if I did everyone's chart (even with a 12 noon) if I'd find Venus in Aries or a lot of Sag moons. Since it's supposed to rain all day I know what I'll likely be doing if I get bored.

SunW

We all have Venus and Mercury conjunct -- in different signs, but nonetheless we share that aspect with our father, who also had it.
My son has Venus and Mercury conjunct in Taurus.

What do you have in common concerning Venus? This aspect could give two relationships.

JUPITERASC

What do you have in common concerning Venus?

This aspect could give two relationships.

The member who made the comment you refer to, is CafeMercury :smile:
I simply quoted CafeMercury
so since they might not necessarily read your question
do send them a pm

belabismo

Hi SunW, you might be interested in this thread too, about Sun/Moon and parents: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105573

My Moon is in Scorpio conjunct Pluto, square Saturn, sextile Neptune/Uranus and trine Mars.

My sister's is in Capricorn with an exact square to Venus and sextile Sun and Pluto/Mercury. She also has a conjunction to Neptune if you're willing to count an 8 deg. orb.

My mom is either a Taurus or Gemini Moon. I want to say she is probably a Taurus Moon because she can be fixed and stubborn in her emotions/opinions. I don't think she is detached (Gemini) from her emotions, quite the opposite. She has strong Mercury, Neptune, and Pluto influence in her chart. She has all those planets and her Nodes in a Grand Cross.

Her sister is most likely an Aquarius Moon. Her Mercury is conjunct Pluto. Her Sun is at the Anaretic degree, like mine is.

Their mom had either a Taurus or Aries moon. I want to say Taurus but I only knew her from her 70s onward. Based on some childhood stories I think it is plausible she was an Aries Moon. She had Sun conjunct Mercury, trine Neptune and trine Jupiter, and opposite Mars at the Anaretic degree. She looks like she has a Kite pattern with a grand trine in Earth and Mars as the focal planet.

My grandma's mom loved to read and often neglected her housekeeping/child-rearing responsibilities. It was strange for her to read well and enjoy it in the time/place and social standing she was in. One of my mom's brothers is an alcoholic and probably has issues with domestic violence (his son broke up with his wife because he punched out a wall during an argument and she called the cops; he spent a night in jail), her older sister (and oldest sibling) married a physically abusive man and her son committed suicide.

My mom's dad had either Moon in Pisces or in Aquarius. He had Sun conjunct Jupiter in Aries, Mars in Leo opposite Uranus. Mercury in Pisces sextile Venus. He was bipolar and was a poet. I know at one point he tried to stab my grandmother. My grandmother herself once cut my aunt (Aquarius Moon aunt) across the arm with a knife, too though. All I know about my grandfather's mother is that she hoarded food in odd places around the house and she liked to sit by the window and ridicule people who walked by. My kind of woman, lmao. ;)

I'm still sorting out these charts and looking for some common themes. Feel free to pick apart the above information.

SunW

My Moon is in Scorpio conjunct Pluto, square Saturn, sextile Neptune/Uranus and trine Mars.

This is serious. Is your mother a person who tries to control others including you?

These outer planets in aspects to your Moon show that she comes from a family with serious problems. Which houses are involved?

belabismo

This is serious. Is your mother a person who tries to control others including you?

These outer planets in aspects to your Moon show that she comes from a family with serious problems. Which houses are involved?

She definitely comes from a family with serious problems, lol. My Moon is in the 3rd, Neptune/Uranus in 4th, Mars in 6th, Saturn in 5th.

Forgot to mention, also Moon is inconjunct MC and sextile Ascendant.

Mum and dad are Gemini moons, i would refer to them as both scatter brained.

Libra sun with Gem moon father.
Cancer sun with Gem moon mother.

Both clash majorly and i cannot relate at all to either except my mums instinct side which is her Cancer sun.

I'm Cancer sun 5th house Taurus moon and Taurus mars 2nd house.

I'm aggressive when wronged, verbally and physically.
Emotionally mega strong, i have fought death of loved ones alone, my GF passed, i told my father at the time and got nothing, just completely cold.

But i dealt with it, no alcohol, no outbursts, nothing.

Me myself and i, alone time.

I gained more from it though, stronger, and have found new things within myself.

I have an exalted Jupiter in the same house as my sun so i have a lot of luck too.

I don't relate to my family at all.

Last edited:

Lin

"We all have Venus and Mercury conjunct -- in different signs, but nonetheless we share that aspect with our father, who also had it."

???- who said this??

Lin

Lin

SunW

Does your mom have any planets in Sagi?

In which sign is her Jupiter?

How many planets does she have in either fire signs or mutable signs?
LIN

Flapjacks

What causes you to say she has nothing to do with the sign?

I have Capricorn Moon opposed Cancer Sun/Leo Mercury, square Pluto.

Both my grandmothers died prematurely. We do not speak of my father's mother, whom died when my father was a toddler. All I know about her is her name (and I didn't even know that until I was 22 years old). My mother's mother died of radiation poisoning when I was three. I only have one memory of her when she was in the hospital.

My mother claims she was mostly raised by her grandmother - my great-grandmother - and she had more of an attachment to her than she did her own mother. My mother tells me I look just like my great-grandmother, and she thought so the moment I was born. She seems to believe I am a reincarnation of her grandmother.

My mother's Sun and Jupiter in Sagittarius are conjunct my Saturn and DC. My Neptune is conjunct her Venus in Capricorn. Her Moon is conjunct my Venus in Virgo. Her Pluto is conjunct my IC in Leo.

I know my mother's mother had a Virgo Sun.

mrs

I am Pisces sun and both my parents have moon in pisces))
and there are lots of other similarities ))

Witchyone

How interesting. I popped back up here today to discuss similar ideas.

My moon is in Pisces, and I definitely see some of my mother in this placement. She is not a Pisces, but a Leo sun with Scorpio moon and Cancer rising. She was an extremely nurturing, positive, and dependable parent.

My moon is placed in the 10th house, the house of Capricorn, ruled by Saturn, and it trines Saturn in the 2nd house in Cancer (Mom's rising and maternal grandfather's sun sign). My father was a Capricorn. He died young.

My moon is also the focal point of a yod with Mars in Leo in the 3rd and Pluto in Libra in the 5th. There is a whole lot of crazy energy trying to pour into that moon (and forever getting pushed back--inconjuncts, man.) And it squares my Ascendant and Neptune. Could this relate to my family's fate in my early childhood? We had a series of early deaths and other little tragedies. Or is this all me?

david starling

How interesting. I popped back up here today to discuss similar ideas.

My moon is in Pisces, and I definitely see some of my mother in this placement. She is not a Pisces, but a Leo sun with Scorpio moon and Cancer rising. She was an extremely nurturing, positive, and dependable parent.

My moon is placed in the 10th house, the house of Capricorn, ruled by Saturn, and it trines Saturn in the 2nd house in Cancer (Mom's rising and maternal grandfather's sun sign). My father was a Capricorn. He died young.

My moon is also the focal point of a yod with Mars in Leo in the 3rd and Pluto in Libra in the 5th. There is a whole lot of crazy energy trying to pour into that moon (and forever getting pushed back--inconjuncts, man.) And it squares my Ascendant and Neptune. Could this relate to my family's fate in my early childhood? We had a series of early deaths and other little tragedies. Or is this all me?

Sounds like your mother made you feel safe, but also trained you to be self-reliant. :happy:

Witchyone

Sounds like your mother made you feel safe, but also trained you to be self-reliant. :happy:

It's true. She struck a pretty perfect balance between protecting us and pushing us forward to deal on our own. My sister and I have always felt very loved and grateful to her, and we hold her in very high regard, so much so that she was able to discipline us by doing nothing. We simply didn't want to disappoint her, so we were usually good, or very very very sneaky. :devil:

The downside to all of that is it's kind of hard to live up to a perfect mother. Literally everyone loves her, and she's not hiding some dark side. She's just that great. She and I actually spoke about this recently. I had my reputation pretty well dented of late, deservedly, and I was telling her that it was kind of a relief for everyone to know I'm not perfect, that I ***** up. To my surprise, she said, "tell me about it!" It turns out it's a lot of pressure for her too, and she has still never failed. :innocent:

demetraceres

I'm still trying to figure it out. I wonder too if the Moon represents the collecitve female influence in our childhood. Usually the mother is the one who has the strongest role, but there can be many other female figures or can even replace her.

Some Moon aspects in my natal chart could represent my mother and some other women. But the sign of the Moon - Cancer, not. This sign describes well my grandmother, though.