Career Crossroads

RockFish

Hello, astro-friends,

I'm in the middle of some crossroads in terms of career, and would be glad to have some insights in relation to my natal chart.

To begin, here's the chart:

557248b4a1946ed04.jpg

I've been working as a translator for some years now. I associate this with my 6th house in gemini (work in the publishing business), ruled by mercury in the 12th (work at home, in reclusion). Mercury is in mutual reception with Saturn and trines it too, and Saturn is in the 9th house in Virgo, and I consider this the reason why I work with foreign languages. Virgo being a sign of "service", I interpret my career as me being in service to authors, helping them spread their work.

The work is nice, it suits me, since I hate offices, hate to wake up in a given time to go to work, etc... but I've reached the ceiling in this field, so to speak: I won't be able to make more money than I do in this field, and it isn't enough to fulfill some goals of mine, like buying a house.

So, I've been considering a career change. I am about to apply for an exam to join the diplomatic corps in my country, mostly due to the bulky salary and some other advantages. I'm interested in politics and foreign affairs, altho I wouldn't say it is a passion of mine. I'm more of a student and observer of these themes, never really thought of doing anything in this area before.

I've got Moon, Saturn and North node in the 9th, Virgo, so I take that as an indication that I could do well in the diplomatic field.

On the other hand, I read in another thread that Moon in the 9th and a well-aspected Uranus could be good for an astrological career, and I've got Moon in 9th, sextiled by Uranus domiciled and exalted (Uranus is in Scorpio and in 11th house). Uranus is also sextiling my ascendant, according to SolarFire, and rules my 2nd house, so I wonder if I would do good in studying in an astrological institution and going professional ( I thought of the distance learning in the Faculty of Astrological Studies, tho it would be a bit of a financial struggle right now).

And, last but not least, I've always been a painter, since I was a kid, and my biggest love is art. I've got 10th house in Libra, ruled by Venus in 11th. venus sextiles MH, and is ruled by Jupiter in Leo in 7th; they are also trining each other.

I kinda see a bit of a clash here between the desired career and the day-to-day work, since my 6th house of work is ruled by Mercury which is squaring libra Pluto in 10th.

So, I don't know exactly which path to choose. Any insights??

freedomlover

This isn't a necessary recommendation of a path to choose, just my 2 cents on a comment you made.

I kinda see a bit of a clash here between the desired career and the day-to-day work, since my 6th house of work is ruled by Mercury which is squaring libra Pluto in 10th.
I don't see any clash. Mercury is in Cap in the 12th (putting into structured form what you see with your imagination) Don't forget 6th house is naturally Virgo's domain. I would think that would point to being very good with the details, possibly very life-like painting -- especially with the exact trine to Saturn in Virgo in the 9th. However, it could mean that you "un-do" (12th house) structure (Mercury in Cap) with your painting, and are more "Modern Art" style. The Saturn in Virgo in the 9th, which rules your Ascendant, might point to you being good in teaching, especially with the trine to Mercury in Cap in the 12th. (Any interest in teaching others to paint ?) And, psychologically, it could point to your "inner teacher" being waaayy too hard on yourself - perfectionism issues. Cap ascendants are notorious for that.;)

Oh, and Pluto in Libra in the 10th... I could see that as being that your painting could receive alot of attention, be well received by others, and have a transformative, healing effect on others when they see it. Ever thought of doing murals?

FL

Last edited:

waybread

rockfish, I think your chart shows artistic ability, with Libra on the MC, and with its ruler Venus conjunct Neptune (both indicators of artistic ability) and trine Jupiter.

On the other hand, it is not easy to be self-supporting as an artist, as you no doubt know, so the question is, do you need a day-job?

Uranus rules the cusp of your money house, and in the 11th; he suggests making money via groups, organizations, or even contacts with friends.

Then you do have a tenanted 9th house, including your north node of personal growth, so joining the diplomatic corps and perhaps working overseas may be where you need to be headed. This makes me wonder whether you would do really well in the branch of your foreign service office that deals with cultural exchanges such as traveling fine art exhibits and performing arts. If this job pays well and would offer some security, your Capricorn nature knows all about deferred gratification. Could you save up, then, for a complete focus on your art a bit later in life?

If I read your chart correctly, you have not one but two "Thors Hammer" configurations, in which two planets are joined by a square, and each joins a third planet with a sesquisquare (135 degrees). This is a very powerful, if stressful, configuration, suggesting the need to deal with the "apex" planet's energies in this lifetime. One apex is Neptune, the other is Chiron. [Purists wouldn't count Chiron, but I think you must be feeling him!)

In terms of an astrology career, I think well-known astrologers' charts are "all over the map." With Uranus (modern ruler of astrology, Mercury is the traditional ruler) on the cusp of your money house, you might do well, yet I don't know how many astrologers make much money at it. More to the point, is what kind of feedback do you get from people when you read their charts?

Also, I don't know how people in Brazil (where you live?) feel about astrology, but I think it would be difficult to combine with a diplomatic career in the US or Canada--where it is generally seen as a "fringe" activity by the majority of well-educated people; whereas a painting avocation would be seen as "normal."

Although you have Mercury square Pluto, it also trines Saturn at the same degree.

I guess the good news of all of this is that you are still young, and life is full of opportunities!

Best wishes for your journey. W.

freedomlover

Also, with your MC being ruled by Venus in 11th, and Pluto, co-ruler of the 11th, being in the 10th..... This might point to your working with charitable organizations, churches, etc (Neptune in Sag in the 12th exactly sextiles Pluto). Or it could say that you can work well with groups of people. There's a strong connection to something along all those lines, with all the double emphasis.

Also, the ruler of your 8th (Sun in Cap) and co-ruler of your 11th (Mars in Cap) are tightly conjunct in your 1st house. This seems to point a good possibility of you obtaining charitable funding for your work, other people's money supporting you, perhaps a government grant? This is loosely trined by Moon in 9th, ruler of your 7th. Uranus, co-ruler of your 2nd, is also in the 11th in Scorpio) Talents and money/supply issues here, too.

Again, psychologically, I would be very surprised, with a chart like this, if you were not extremely self-critical and hard on yourself, and were exposed to these kind of people in your family of origin. Your Chiron is in the 4th, as well. With the Thor's hammer between Neptune in Sag in the 12th,and Moon in Virgo in the 9th, pointing to Chiron in the 4th, it could have to do with a strict religious upbringing, with a heavy dose of guilt and condemnation thrown in. (Cappy issues to the nth degree). With Chiron in Taurus in the 4th, I would recommend your seeking to heal your self-sabotaging beliefs about money and support from others, and any other Taurus, 2nd house issues. If you are having these kinds of issues, working with them will very likely open the door to the choice you know is right.

FL

RockFish

Thanks for the precious input, freedom and bread! You two are very good, I have a lot to think about now. :)

Freedomlover:

I would think that would point to being very good with the details, possibly very life-like painting -- especially with the exact trine to Saturn in Virgo in the 9th. However, it could mean that you "un-do" (12th house) structure (Mercury in Cap) with your painting, and are more "Modern Art" style.
Actually, both, you are right on the money. There is a life-like thing on the human figures, but backgrounds are all murky and abstract, in general, and sometimes body parts too.

The Saturn in Virgo in the 9th, which rules your Ascendant, might point to you being good in teaching, especially with the trine to Mercury in Cap in the 12th. (Any interest in teaching others to paint ?)
My astrologer said I have the "teacher's karma", in the sense that I'm supposed to teach in this lifetime, and I'm sure she was referring to this Saturn of mine. I've thought about that before, would like to teach art, particularly to children, but that wouldn't be very profitable, so I have to venture something like that when the money is not an issue, like it is right now... Would do it for free, if I could. Maybe in some years. :)

And, psychologically, it could point to your "inner teacher" being waaayy too hard on yourself - perfectionism issues. Cap ascendants are notorious for that.;)
100% right. I'm my worst critic, a fierce one.

Oh, and Pluto in Libra in the 10th... I could see that as being that your painting could receive alot of attention, be well received by others, and have a transformative, healing effect on others when they see it. Ever thought of doing murals?
That's a great perspective. My paintings are very big, indeed the canvas cover whole walls... It's a bit difficult to find places to exhibit, but I've been in contact with someone in another country that might help me exhibit there when the time is right. Crossing fingers here. I'm glad that maybe my paintings will have a healing effect on people, makes me really happy.

Also, with your MC being ruled by Venus in 11th, and Pluto, co-ruler of the 11th, being in the 10th..... This might point to your working with charitable organizations, churches, etc (Neptune in Sag in the 12th exactly sextiles Pluto). Or it could say that you can work well with groups of people. There's a strong connection to something along all those lines, with all the double emphasis.
Yes,i always thought it's weird that I didn't find a group of people who would share the same ideas, a group of artists, for example. I'm aware that my chart points to strong connection to groups, so I'm still waiting for it to come true. I tried to stir people in my days in art school, I wanted to be part of a movement, but there wasn't much interest on their part. I'm considering that maybe the right group of people might be foreign, since the contact with foreigners is really molding my life, and Uranus is sextiling Moon and NorthNode in 9th. Still looking for my gang. :p

Also, the ruler of your 8th (Sun in Cap) and co-ruler of your 11th (Mars in Cap) are tightly conjunct in your 1st house. This seems to point a good possibility of you obtaining charitable funding for your work, other people's money supporting you, perhaps a government grant?
That's a strong possibility in the diplomatic field. There is a scholarship one can get from the governemnt, that helps to prepare for the exam of the diplomatic corps (which is a very hard one). The government gives a one year grant for the student who passes certain tests. I'm really interested in that one, it is good money, and I would be free during an entire year to study for the diplomacy exam, but also I can save the money or use it for something else. In a year a lot of things may change, and this money could actually help me in other fields. It is certainly a lot more than I am doing right now with translations.

This is loosely trined by Moon in 9th, ruler of your 7th. Uranus, co-ruler of your 2nd, is also in the 11th in Scorpio) Talents and money/supply issues here, too.
I'm not sure about art grants, but now that you mentioned it, I will look for them. Maybe you've changed my life right now, I hope so. :D

Again, psychologically, I would be very surprised, with a chart like this, if you were not extremely self-critical and hard on yourself, and were exposed to these kind of people in your family of origin.
That's MOM!!!! (Saturn conjunct Moon, SIGH). You are right, my family was a very strict one, and their influence is always in the background... I think I developed a very strong self-criticism due to their influence, and it somehow prevented me from believing in my artistic possibilities the way I should (Saturn+Moon squaring Venus+Neptune). Right now I'm in the middle of Saturn's return, so I'm kind of shaking off the feelings of inadequacy, and trying to make my artwork more visible ( I used to be embarrassed about it before...). Altho there's still a lot of inner work to be done in this particular area....

Thanks Freedom, really loved the input.

Waybread:

On the other hand, it is not easy to be self-supporting as an artist, as you no doubt know, so the question is, do you need a day-job?
Yeah, unfortunately, it's not easy, and yes I do need some source of income.

Then you do have a tenanted 9th house, including your north node of personal growth, so joining the diplomatic corps and perhaps working overseas may be where you need to be headed. This makes me wonder whether you would do really well in the branch of your foreign service office that deals with cultural exchanges such as traveling fine art exhibits and performing arts.
Ooooh, that's a great idea! I never really thought that both areas could connect like that. My idea of the diplomatic service didn't include anything related to art... till now!

As my astrologer said, the idea is to develop an integration of the chart as a whole, but I have this tendency to read the different parts (in my chart) as if they are disconnected from each other.

If this job pays well and would offer some security, your Capricorn nature knows all about deferred gratification. Could you save up, then, for a complete focus on your art a bit later in life?
That's the plan. :D I'm not really planning to stay working in diplomacy forever, this is not really my life plan. But to get some money for some years, yes, I am willing to do that.

In terms of an astrology career, I think well-known astrologers' charts are "all over the map." With Uranus (modern ruler of astrology, Mercury is the traditional ruler) on the cusp of your money house, you might do well, yet I don't know how many astrologers make much money at it. More to the point, is what kind of feedback do you get from people when you read their charts?
Feedbacks are positive, mostly, but I feel insecure about it, since I'm self-taught in this area. Some people want to pay me money, but I refuse mostly, since I don't feel I do as much with a chart as a professional would do. Maybe that's got to do with what freedomlover mentioned about "self-sabotaging beliefs about money and support from others".... At any rate, in order to work in this area I'd really have to study with professionals. And you are right, astrologers sometimes don't get paid well, and sometimes their income is not so certain as a government paycheck would be.....

Also, I don't know how people in Brazil (where you live?) feel about astrology, but I think it would be difficult to combine with a diplomatic career in the US or Canada--where it is generally seen as a "fringe" activity by the majority of well-educated people; whereas a painting avocation would be seen as "normal."
Well, in here there are the same prejudices. I thought of astrology as a possible alternative to diplomacy, since the diplomatic field would require such a change of lifestyle to me... But you were right, very few astrologers can make a living here without doing something else. Very much like what happens to the artists, we all have to do something else to get money.

Thanks for your input and the kind words too, waybread. This next year is going to be crucial. I'm in the middle of Sat's return and Saturn will spend the entire next year in my 9th house. So, I think these issues will be unraveling in 2009. I hope to give some good news in the year to come. :)