Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology > Research and Development

Research and Development This is a forum designed for applying scientific methods and understanding to all approaches of astrology, cooperative formulation and testing of new ideas, re-examination of known methods of delineation and interpretation, and the exploration of new astrological methods of all kinds (e.g. heliocentric models, planetary nodes and apogees, etc.).

Unread 03-28-2019, 09:29 PM

Question Can't wrap my head around a 2D birth chart

Hi there,

I am fairly new to astrology, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the 2D image of a birth chart.

At the bottom of this post you can find a little moving 3D animation to illustrate where my confusion comes from. (It's quite a big gif file, so please give it a few seconds to load )

I understand that the equator has been divided in 12 equal parts of 30 degrees, which are projected into space. So, if you are born on the equator it easy to say in which sign a planet is.

Then, I also have read various reasons why the whole house system should be used. One of the reasons being that all houses are of equal importance. Then, based on the place where someone is born, you draw the houses around that place on earth.

Now, I can understand this all, as long as someone is born on the equator. However, if someone is born on another latitude, it all goes wrong in my head. My little 3D visualization also shows this. If you try to combine a 2D view of the 12 signs and a 2D view of the 12 houses, there is no way these two can both consist of 12 equally sized parts in the birth chart.

Again, I am a newbie when it comes to astrology but I really want to understand this. Can someone maybe help me out here? Am I missing something? Thanks a lot in advance...

Unread 03-29-2019, 04:40 AM

Re: Can't wrap my head around a 2D birth chart

An awful lot has been written and debated about house systems: much of it pretty technical. I don't have the head for it, unfortunately.

I liked your graphic a lot. Hopefully we can look forward to horoscopes that either look 3-dimensional or that are, like a hologram.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 05-06-2019, 10:12 PM

I suppose you already are aware there are many different house systems available to you? Including if you prefer, the Equal House System.

The unequal ones are quite popular in the tropical system but many prefer equal houses.

This link may help:
https://darkstarastrology.com/house-system-astrology/

I think its just what works for you best.

Last edited by leomoon; 05-06-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Unread 05-06-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xriter View Post

Hi there,

I am fairly new to astrology, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the 2D image of a birth chart.

At the bottom of this post you can find a little moving 3D animation to illustrate where my confusion comes from. (It's quite a big gif file, so please give it a few seconds to load )

I understand that the equator has been divided in 12 equal parts of 30 degrees, which are projected into space. So, if you are born on the equator it easy to say in which sign a planet is.

Then, I also have read various reasons why the whole house system should be used. One of the reasons being that all houses are of equal importance. Then, based on the place where someone is born, you draw the houses around that place on earth.

Now, I can understand this all, as long as someone is born on the equator. However, if someone is born on another latitude, it all goes wrong in my head. My little 3D visualization also shows this. If you try to combine a 2D view of the 12 signs and a 2D view of the 12 houses, there is no way these two can both consist of 12 equally sized parts in the birth chart.

Again, I am a newbie when it comes to astrology but I really want to understand this. Can someone maybe help me out here? Am I missing something? Thanks a lot in advance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf

Tags
birth, chart, head, wrap