Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 06-28-2018, 02:47 AM
PilgrimsProgress PilgrimsProgress is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 914
The Left in 2018: Unhinged

As a Dem, are you proud to endorse these tactics or do you disavow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFRHX6glTSM

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 06-28-2018, 04:15 AM
muchacho muchacho is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,732
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

I'm not sure your approach is actually helpful. You may have all the facts on your side, but as Scott Adams says, facts are overrated, because are people not rational beings, they just try to give themselves the appearance of being rational, and so they are persuaded more easily by fiction than facts.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 06-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Dirius's Avatar
Dirius Dirius is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,565
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
As a Dem, are you proud to endorse these tactics or do you disavow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFRHX6glTSM
And the more aggresive they become, the more cocky they present themselves, the more supporters they will loose. In fact a lot of people, even generally progressive individuals are growing tired of this and are slowly shifting to a more conservative side. The reality is that these idiots are nothing more than a vocal minority.

The biggest damage however, is that companies have to listen to these idiots or otherwise they will get boycotted and targeted.

Here is a good example of a debate between conservative (Charlie Kirk) and a progressive (Hasan Piker). You will notice that, regardless of arguments, the progressive guy is just insufferable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHLzNIGeQfA

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchacho View Post
I'm not sure your approach is actually helpful. You may have all the facts on your side, but as Scott Adams says, facts are overrated, because are people not rational beings, they just try to give themselves the appearance of being rational, and so they are persuaded more easily by fiction than facts.
muchacho, while I agree with the core idea of your comment, I do have a different view of the outcome this may have.

They do not do this out of ignorance or irrationality, but because of a genuine interest for profit. Its all about the money. By constantly complaining, the rest of society (mainly corporations) are forced to hire specialists in this areas just to avoid the boycotts, apply the rules the left wants to avoid bad press, and promote progressive arguments to avoid being called racists. What does this mean for the leftist? money, advertising, investement in useless companies, etc. Leftist bloggers or writters get invited to TV shows, they sell books, they sell videos, etc.

But I do think people have began to see through this. And a lot of people are slowly letting the left go, because they are growing tired of this attitude. While talking to some of my (former) lefty friends, most awknowledge that while the left is going crazy, its not like the arguments of the right appeals to them, so they tend to stay in the left as considering themselves "moderates". But for what I have seen, this may be a transition phase. Slowly they begin to listen to the other side just a little bit more, and slowly they move from the left to the center. I've seen this happen with 2 friends of mine who were center left and are now leaning center right. Of course, there are a lot of people who are just too far gone, but we can only hope.

This is my opinion, based on what I see in my own country, in which being a lefty has been a succesfull ponzi scheme for the last 40 years and a lot of people, even leftists themselves have grown tired of this. Maybe I am wrong, but I generally do not think they are irrational, quite the contrary, I think they are well awared of their bias, and just want the power, the money and the respect and status it comes with spearheading this movement. And in the long run it becomes so evident for anyone to see, that they can only loose people.

-------------------------------

We can also point to some evidence of why the left wants more immigration into your country. Because in a couple of decades, they would have a new generation of leftist voters. They can't convert or keep the ones they have, so they need to import new voters. On the very least, this shows how weak their position truly is and why it is failing even in keeping the voters they already have. To me this is evidence that people are waking up and that the conservative/libertarian side needs to make a move and begin marketing itself better. I think this video, at least in spirit, is good. May not have the impact that the right expects, but it is at least a signal that something has began to happen. The conservatives need to take mainstream media back, and this may be a start.


I may be wrong, I hope I'm not.
__________________
If you'd like a private Horary or Natal consultation, please visit me at:

https://antiqueastrology.wordpress.com/

You'll also find some tips for horary practice!

Last edited by Dirius; 06-28-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 06-28-2018, 06:21 PM
PilgrimsProgress PilgrimsProgress is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 914
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchacho View Post
You may have all the facts on your side, but as Scott Adams says, facts are overrated, because are people not rational beings, they just try to give themselves the appearance of being rational, and so they are persuaded more easily by fiction than facts.
You are right. For the Loonies it's all about feeeeeeeelings, not facts. That way they are easily manipulated by the media which is why everyday they are hysterical. Republicans have always used logic which Left wingers don't understand. Which is why I was happy to see this ad (above) -- they have adopted the tactics of the Left to fight fire with fire!

Speaking of Adams, did you see him say this? Scary. He needs to move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47G1RZ4lr_4
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 06-28-2018, 06:26 PM
PilgrimsProgress PilgrimsProgress is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 914
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

I just noticed a slightly longer ad with even more disturbing footage. Facts or feelings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW-I3CDma14
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 06-28-2018, 06:34 PM
PilgrimsProgress PilgrimsProgress is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 914
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Dirius, as the latest NY election proved, the DNC is heading toward socialism. I'm hoping socialist Cynthia Nixon becomes governor because I'd like to see NY become a mini Venezuela. That would destroy the Dems.

Moderate Dems will either become independents or take another look at the Republican party which is moderate in comparison. Or the moderate Dems will just sit out the next few elections until there is a shift toward the center. My opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 06-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Samantha Bean's Avatar
Samantha Bean Samantha Bean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 659
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Any discussion where the discussants have to use insulting names for each other is a sign that the one doing the insulting doesn't have a strong enough case to function on its merits, and has to use other means to get his/her point across.


I get tired enough of that from the head dude in the administrative branch of the US Government.

Both sides have valid arguments based on the premises for which they argue.


There is simply no good reason to call people you disagree with by insulting names.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samantha Bean For This Useful Post:
aquarius7000 (08-04-2018), demetraceres (08-16-2018), waybread (06-30-2018)
  #8  
Unread 06-29-2018, 09:42 AM
unique_astrology's Avatar
unique_astrology unique_astrology is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,021
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

All bolding by me to make sure you don't miss those statements.

Just the facts Ma'am.

President Trump Says North Korea Has Returned the Remains of 200 U.S. Soldiers

By Eli Meixler June 21, 2018


http://time.com/5318121/president-tr...diers-remains/

But the facts as of a week later:

POLITICS 06/28/2018 04:47 pm ET

Trump Lied About Parents Of Korean War Vets, Now He's Lying About Returned Bodies


"The only problem: No remains have yet been returned, and it is unclear when that might happen. “We have not yet physically received them,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told the Senate Appropriations Committee on Wednesday, but said that he is “optimistic” it would take place “in the not-too-distant future.” "

But first he lied about parents of soldiers who lost their lives in Korea:

" Fighting in Korea ended in 1953. A parent with a child killed there likely would have been at least 35 years old then ― and at least 100 years old today. Trump nevertheless claimed in a June 13 Fox News interview that “thousands” of such parents had asked him on the 2016 campaign trail for his help getting their children’s bodies home should he win the presidency."
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unique_astrology For This Useful Post:
aquarius7000 (08-04-2018), david starling (06-29-2018), waybread (06-30-2018)
  #9  
Unread 06-29-2018, 11:55 AM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 19,254
Smile Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Bean View Post
Any discussion where the discussants have to use insulting names for each other is a sign that the one doing the insulting doesn't have a strong enough case to function on its merits, and has to use other means to get his/her point across.


I get tired enough of that from the head dude in the administrative branch of the US Government.

Both sides have valid arguments based on the premises for which they argue.


There is simply no good reason to call people you disagree with by insulting names.
Aw, but it's FUN name-calling. Libtard and Trumptard, Looneyleft and Rightwingnut. I'm sticking with Space-Emperor Trump and his Space-cadets.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 06-29-2018, 12:17 PM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 19,254
Smile Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

The political pendulum swings both ways. Back when Barry Goldwater was crushed in the 1964 Presidential Election, I remember the Liberals ecstatically declaring that the Republican Party was no longer viable, and believing the Dems would run the country from then on. We're seeing the reverse of that now. Problem is, the farther to one side the pendulum goes, the farther it goes back the other way. Makes "Moderation in All Things" sound like good advice when it comes to politics!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 06-30-2018, 06:32 PM
PilgrimsProgress PilgrimsProgress is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 914
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Bean View Post
Any discussion where the discussants have to use insulting names for each other is a sign that the one doing the insulting doesn't have a strong enough case to function on its merits, and has to use other means to get his/her point across.

There is simply no good reason to call people you disagree with by insulting names.
I agree. Every election cycle the same insults against conservatives are dragged out by the Left wingers: homophobic, bigot, racist, xenophobic, uneducated, Nazis and white supremacists. So predictable that it's become background white noise. Oh, wait, that's racist!

But what did you think of the facts presented in the GOP ad?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 06-30-2018, 08:50 PM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 19,254
Smile Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Point of fact: Before the French Revolution, anti-Monarchists sat on the left side of their parliament, pro-Monarchists on the right. That's where the terms "Left wing" and "Right wing" got started. By that definition, the Founding Fathers were Left wingers.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
aquarius7000 (08-04-2018), waybread (06-30-2018)
  #13  
Unread 06-30-2018, 08:56 PM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 19,254
Smile Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

The current political divide might be defined as Rural versus Metropolitan. At least, that seems to be the case in California.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 06-30-2018, 09:05 PM
Sagcap88 Sagcap88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 512
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Yeah, unhinged is a fair word to describe the majority of liberals right now. I hate the mudslinging back and forth. Neither party is wonderful in my book.

Right now, I think that quite a few of my fellow millennial are having a collective temper tantrum and being infantile.

People are mostly just into whatever sort of #activism is trending at the moment.

For ****’s sake, we still have slavery going on! It could be happening at the end of your street! Both parties need to work together to end human trafficking. This is probably our biggest issue...but all the cool kids in Hollywood aren’t talking about it so pretty much nobody cares.

Last edited by Sagcap88; 06-30-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sagcap88 For This Useful Post:
david starling (06-30-2018)
  #15  
Unread 06-30-2018, 09:25 PM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,282
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
As a Dem, are you proud to endorse these tactics or do you disavow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFRHX6glTSM
O

Don't be silly. Of course sensible people of any political persuasion would disavow the tactics, but if you have made no serious effort to understand the very real issues that boiled over in these snippets, you've missed the whole point.

Let's re-wind back to the early 1960s in the US, and revisit all of the violent conservative backlash against the Civil Rights movement. Or let's look at the white supremacist march in Charlotte: do you support their tactics merely because you identify yourself as a conservative? https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/12/us/ch...lly/index.html

Surely you are familiar with systemic, state-sponsored violence that goes way, way beyond your video clip. Maybe you're happy about Hispanic toddlers being separated from their parents at the border, screaming in fear, and now the Trump regime doesn't even know how to get them back to their parents, long since deported.

Who's a Dem around here, anyway? You'd call my politics liberal, no doubt, but I registered as an independent.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
aquarius7000 (08-04-2018)
  #16  
Unread 06-30-2018, 09:47 PM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,282
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Point of fact: Before the French Revolution, anti-Monarchists sat on the left side of their parliament, pro-Monarchists on the right. That's where the terms "Left wing" and "Right wing" got started. By that definition, the Founding Fathers were Left wingers.
Right, David.

Not to mention that if Jesus were to reincarnate in the US today, he would be considered a liberal.

Jesus preached feeding and clothing the poor out of one's personal surplus (Luke 3:11,) whereas Republicans would condemn this as "income redistribution."

""Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great...." (Luke 6:35)

Nothing in the Gospels prohibits abortion, supports the second amendment, or condemns marriage equality for LGBT people.

Jesus said, "If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also." (Matthew 5:39)

Matthew 25:35-38: "For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’ 37Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink?…

'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'"

Trump supporters, in contrast, are looking to cut Medicaid, medical assistance to special needs children, and food stamps for hungry children.

I could go on in this fashion, but I won't in the belief that either conservatives "get it" or they are motivated by non-Christian beliefs.

Their strategy is support for corporate welfare, tax cuts for the rich, and a futile trade war with America's allies.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
ashriia (07-25-2018)
  #17  
Unread 06-30-2018, 10:09 PM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,282
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Socialism has become this huge bogeyman for the Fox News crowd. But according to the UN's annual World Happiness Report, which is based on extensive polling, the 10 happiest countries in the world today w/ rankings) are:

Finland:
Norway:
Denmark:
Iceland: ..
Switzerland:
Netherlands:
Canada:
New Zealand:

The rankings are weighted towards the variables of "income (GDP per capita), healthy life expectancy, social support, freedom, trust (absence of corruption) and generosity." US ranks #18, primarily due to declines in health of its citizens (obesity, substance abuse, untreated depression.) https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/thes...the-world.html

In contrast, the happiest countries have single-payer health care systems. People know that if they get sick, they won't get bankrupted, nor will they have to pay out-of-pocket for all but catastrophic health care coverage. (My son's deductable is $7000, PP: What's yours?)

Form of government of the happiest countries? They go by various names (republic, parliamentary system, constitutional monarchy, &c) but all of them would be considered socialist-leaning democracies by the right wingers in the US. I live in Canada, which is a democracy governed by a popular system. It's probably more like the US than like Norway, but basically if people feel they get something for their tax dollars in a non-corrupt system, they are apt to support it. Such countries are more apt to have solid unemployment benefits, care for poor elderly people, a high standard of health care, and good education systems.

In the US we have Secretary Betsy DeVos trying to dismantle the public education system, although about one in five American children now lives below the poverty level. (Thus diminishing their chances of having work-ready skills.)

Don't get me started on Donald Trump, please.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 06-30-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 06-30-2018, 10:20 PM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,282
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagcap88 View Post
....

For ****’s sake, we still have slavery going on! It could be happening at the end of your street! Both parties need to work together to end human trafficking. This is probably our biggest issue...but all the cool kids in Hollywood aren’t talking about it so pretty much nobody cares.
I agree that it is a big problem. Please inform me of what the Republican party is currently doing about it.

We won't call refugee children being ripped from their mothers' arms and sent to "summer camps" where they are kept in cages and the government loses track of them a form of state-sponsored human trafficking.

But now a Republican candidate (Dennis Hof) for the state legislature in Nevada has the endorsement of local evangelicals. His claim to fame? He owns several brothels, and wrote a book called, The Art of the Pimp, modeled after Donald Trump's ghost-written book, The Art of the Deal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8396636.html

Truly, the right wingers have lost their moral compass.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
aquarius7000 (08-04-2018), ashriia (07-25-2018)
  #19  
Unread 06-30-2018, 11:08 PM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,282
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Obama was nicknamed the Deporter-In-Chief. His administration apprehended over 3 million people at the border, which is over a million more than Republican president George W. Bush apprehended. The figures on deportation are a little hard to compare, due to differences in numbers of people trying to cross the border or in the US illegally, but he seems to have outdone his predecessors on deportations, also.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...r-chief-or-not

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obam...ry?id=41715661

Some of us find that old Rothschild conspiracy theory to be both anti-semitic and untenable based upon any kind of evidence.

Oops. Did I just say a bad e-word here?
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 06-30-2018, 11:15 PM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,282
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

rahu, I absolutely take your point on global income maldistribution.

However, many ordinary Americans would quality in the 1%. Not because they're fatcat billionaires but because wages in most of the world are so low.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...cent-world.asp

The cut-off figure for the richest 1%? $US 32,000 annual income, or about $770K in total assets. The latter figure sounds like a lot, but would include home ownership in an expensive city and a pension fund.

Just wondering who on this thread qualifies.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 06-30-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 06-30-2018, 11:42 PM
Sagcap88 Sagcap88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
I agree that it is a big problem. Please inform me of what the Republican party is currently doing about it.

We won't call refugee children being ripped from their mothers' arms and sent to "summer camps" where they are kept in cages and the government loses track of them a form of state-sponsored human trafficking.

But now a Republican candidate (Dennis Hof) for the state legislature in Nevada has the endorsement of local evangelicals. His claim to fame? He owns several brothels, and wrote a book called, The Art of the Pimp, modeled after Donald Trump's ghost-written book, The Art of the Deal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8396636.html

Truly, the right wingers have lost their moral compass.
Thanks to Ashton Kutcher (see speech here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTT-_tbZf1o) over thousands of children have been rescued from human trafficking — sex slavery. These children were raped multiple times a day. That is far worse and far less discussed than the “summer camps”. Yes, it is horrible that these children are separated from their parents. But this is hyped up by the media to bash Trump. Not to help these kids. It’s all terrible but unfortunately we must prioritize. The people with the worst situation need to be addressed first.

And I voted Bernie, BTW. Don’t blame me!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 07-01-2018, 12:41 AM
Dirius's Avatar
Dirius Dirius is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,565
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
O

Don't be silly. Of course sensible people of any political persuasion would disavow the tactics, but if you have made no serious effort to understand the very real issues that boiled over in these snippets, you've missed the whole point.

Let's re-wind back to the early 1960s in the US, and revisit all of the violent conservative backlash against the Civil Rights movement. Or let's look at the white supremacist march in Charlotte: do you support their tactics merely because you identify yourself as a conservative? https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/12/us/ch...lly/index.html

Surely you are familiar with systemic, state-sponsored violence that goes way, way beyond your video clip. Maybe you're happy about Hispanic toddlers being separated from their parents at the border, screaming in fear, and now the Trump regime doesn't even know how to get them back to their parents, long since deported.

Who's a Dem around here, anyway? You'd call my politics liberal, no doubt, but I registered as an independent.
The problem shown in the video is that the aggresion wich was common to both far-right and far-left, is now being used by mainstream leftist.

The amount of far-righters is very tiny, and the charlottesville event gathered less than 500 people. You are using the very very very extreme wing of the "conservative movement" as comparison to justify mutual aggresion. The reality is that this "ancient evil" of the far right the left keeps invoking is a very tiny, almost non-existant minority in the U.S. and in the world. In fact, is the left tries to classify anything that has a nationalistic tone as "far-right", which is false.

And talking about stuff that happened 60 years ago means nothing. Yeah sure, unchecked conservatives in your country used to lynch minorities. In my country the unchecked leftist used to held hostage and murder civilians for ransom and commit terrorist acts. Both sides can easily descend into chaotic forces if left unchecked.

However what we are afraid is that mainstream leftist liberals, particularly young students are slowly using more tactics traditional to the far-left. They become more aggresive each month. Antifa now throws smoke bombs into cops and enemies.
__________________
If you'd like a private Horary or Natal consultation, please visit me at:

https://antiqueastrology.wordpress.com/

You'll also find some tips for horary practice!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 07-01-2018, 01:09 AM
Dirius's Avatar
Dirius Dirius is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,565
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Socialism has become this huge bogeyman for the Fox News crowd. But according to the UN's annual World Happiness Report, which is based on extensive polling, the 10 happiest countries in the world today w/ rankings) are:

Finland:
Norway:
Denmark:
Iceland: ..
Switzerland:
Netherlands:
Canada:
New Zealand:

The rankings are weighted towards the variables of "income (GDP per capita), healthy life expectancy, social support, freedom, trust (absence of corruption) and generosity." US ranks #18, primarily due to declines in health of its citizens (obesity, substance abuse, untreated depression.) https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/thes...the-world.html

In contrast, the happiest countries have single-payer health care systems. People know that if they get sick, they won't get bankrupted, nor will they have to pay out-of-pocket for all but catastrophic health care coverage. (My son's deductable is $7000, PP: What's yours?)

Form of government of the happiest countries? They go by various names (republic, parliamentary system, constitutional monarchy, &c) but all of them would be considered socialist-leaning democracies by the right wingers in the US. I live in Canada, which is a democracy governed by a popular system. It's probably more like the US than like Norway, but basically if people feel they get something for their tax dollars in a non-corrupt system, they are apt to support it. Such countries are more apt to have solid unemployment benefits, care for poor elderly people, a high standard of health care, and good education systems.

In the US we have Secretary Betsy DeVos trying to dismantle the public education system, although about one in five American children now lives below the poverty level. (Thus diminishing their chances of having work-ready skills.)

Don't get me started on Donald Trump, please.
In truth, most conservative or libertarians are not really opposed to the sentiment of free health-care, and most of us would like for every person in the world to have health-care coverage. What we do point out, is that in the long run a free health-care system isn't economically viable, but not because we are "evil" and wish to see humanity suffer. The problem is you want to have the U.S. match the sysem of other countries, which isn't a good comparison.

You can see the numbers. Lets talk population numbers: Canada has a population of 36 million people. Norway has a population of 5 million people. Finland has a population of 5 million people. Switzerland has 8 million, the Netherlands 17 million, New Zeland has 4 million, Denmark has 5 million, and Iceland 300 thousand.

The U.S. has a population of 325 million people (10 times more than Canada). All the countries combined have half of the population of the U.S. It is not the same to provide health-care to a lower amount of inviduals. It depends on the general economics of the country in question and how much you spend in each area of goverment. All of these miracle countries also spend their money in a different way the U.S. does. For example, when we look at how much foreign aid (something I dislike) they provide to poor nations we can see that:

The U.S. provides 31 billion. Canada provides 5 billion. All the countries you listed are much less. I'm sure if the U.S. decides to be as charitable as Canada is, they could spend those extr 26 million in their own citizens. Sure in GDP numbers they all spend more percentage than the U.S. But, the U.S. does still provide more money to the world than all of the countries you list combined.

Then there is military spending. When Putin invaded Crimea, you didn't look to Finland or Norway or Canada to "put the russians in check" did you? Of course not, everyone in the world looks to the U.S. for protection. And how do they do that? by spending 610 billion on their military. How much do the other nations you listed spend?

Finally lets look at unemployment numbers: Canada has 6.98 percent unemployment (2016) a similar number to the U.S. percentage wise. But in actul numbers, for Canada is almost 2 million, but for the U.S. is around 20 million. So sure, keeping benefit for 2 million unemployed is easier than for 20 million.


So Yes I agree with you, if the U.S. spends as much as Canada does in everything, they may be able to cover a huge amount of people, but not all, because the U.S. still has many more people. The usual claim that the U.S. has the biggest economy and the largest GDP as the reason as to why they should spend more on social policy is meaningless when you understand that while they have a lower percentage number, they still spend more.

We can look at hundreds of numbers. We can sit all day discussing that. Again, we are not against free health-care. But the models you present are not viable, and its not as easy as the left seems to claim it would be. I would be more than happy for a model in which every citizen gets coverage and we all chip in. But the european myth is not a good answer.
__________________
If you'd like a private Horary or Natal consultation, please visit me at:

https://antiqueastrology.wordpress.com/

You'll also find some tips for horary practice!

Last edited by Dirius; 07-01-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 07-01-2018, 03:58 AM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,282
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagcap88 View Post
Thanks to Ashton Kutcher (see speech here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTT-_tbZf1o) over thousands of children have been rescued from human trafficking — sex slavery. These children were raped multiple times a day. That is far worse and far less discussed than the “summer camps”. Yes, it is horrible that these children are separated from their parents. But this is hyped up by the media to bash Trump. Not to help these kids. It’s all terrible but unfortunately we must prioritize. The people with the worst situation need to be addressed first.

And I voted Bernie, BTW. Don’t blame me!
Oh, fer sure we could talk about what is happening to Rohinga women, Yazidi women, plus the fact that China now has 30 million young men in excess of young women, thanks to abortion of female fetuses under the one child policy, so that the one child would be male. Trafficking of young women from China's poor neighbours is rampant. We could talk about Thailand's under-aged girl prostitutes, as well as young North American girls fleeing abusive homes and ending up with violent pimps.

But it's not true that no Americans care about the plight of the forcibly separated migrant children warehoused in cages, while their parents have been turned away at the border and can't be located. Did you see anything about today's Keep Families Together marches? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rotest-n888006

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rotest-n888006
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 07-01-2018, 04:29 AM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,282
Re: The Left in 2018: Unhinged

Dirius, surely you saw what went on at those big Trump campaign rallies in 2016, with the chants of "Lock her up!" by tens of thousands of his faithful supporters. The "her" of course, was Trump's Democratic opponent. The fact that neither Trump nor his supporters even got that imprisoning one's political opponents is the stuff of totalitarian regimes should be chilling to anyone who loves democracy.

In 2015, 43% of Republicans believed that Barack Obama is a Muslim, born in Kenya. Trump spearheaded this "birther" movement, to his shame; and then has the temerity to condemn "fake news" (defined as any media beyond Fox News.) How quickly these "birthers' forgot the scandal of Obama's pastor in his Chicago church condemning US policies. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...05-column.html Most of them, including candidate Ted Cruz himself (R-Texas senator) did not realized that he was a Canadian citizen by birth.

A free press is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the Constitution, yet 76% of Americans could not name one-- or could name only one-- right guaranteed by this amendment. And this according to a conservative think tank. https://www.freedomforuminstitute.or...rst-amendment/

To ignore the significance of the American Civil Rights movement merely shows that you haven't studied American history in any detail. What can you tell me about Jim Crow laws, the Ku Klux Klan, the Voting Rights Act, and the Civil Rights Act? What can you tell me about Congressman John Lewis? What do you know about the recent tally of unarmed African American youth gunned down by police officers? These issues are still very real, Dirius. They go far beyond America's sordid history of lynching.

What do you know about Rupert Murdoch (an Australian) and his control of the conservative American media? Or maybe you'd like to talk about the Koch brothers and their efforts to buy American elections and judges in support of their reactionary political agenda?

I was a student in the 1970s, and remember the Weathermen and Students for a Democratic Society-- radicals all, who put today's antifas to shame for violent tactics. Of course, you wouldn't want to talk about their conservative counterpart, the John Birch Society-- which apparently is having a renaissance. https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...r-state-215377

You're going to have to do better than this to sustain an argument.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.