Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology > Research and Development

Research and Development This is a forum designed for applying scientific methods and understanding to all approaches of astrology, cooperative formulation and testing of new ideas, re-examination of known methods of delineation and interpretation, and the exploration of new astrological methods of all kinds (e.g. heliocentric models, planetary nodes and apogees, etc.).


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Luney's Avatar
Luney Luney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 281
Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

I'm find it difficult to comprehend the seasons.
I've done some reading but for someone who lives in the Southern Hemisphere ,
It's hard to make sense of it. As the spring equinox is the same all over the earth, Aries representing spring on the 21st of march.
Taurus, warning up etc
Summer begins in cancer..... so forth
November, cold damp winter.. yet here it's boiling hot.

For us, it's opposite, so how can we predict seasons if each sign represents summer and we are in winter.
How would one predict a season in a chart?
If anyone can explain a bit of their knowledge why we all go by the northern hemisphere?
I'm guessing because of the suns position.
When someone's says "you will be fortunate during spring. Whos spring? The equinox spring? My spring?
Each season has a very significant meaning for each sign.
While some are planting seeds in the northern hemisphere, the Southern Hemisphere is picking the fruit.

Thanks
Luney ♏︎☀︎

__________________
You need to dig deeper if you want to find the Treasure . L.Rae ☉/♏︎ ★ Asc/♏︎ ★ ♀/♏︎ ★ ♆/♏︎ ★ ☿/♏︎★☋/♏︎ ☾/♐︎ ★ ⴲ/♐︎ ⚘/♍︎ ★ ♂/♍︎ ★ ♅/♍︎ ★ ♄/♓︎ ★♃/♌︎★ MC/♌︎
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 10-30-2017, 07:31 PM
miquar's Avatar
miquar miquar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North West England
Posts: 3,218
Re: Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

Hi Luney

The March equinox is the same all over the world. But this is the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere and the autumn equinox in the southern hemisphere.

The signs are the same all over the world because that is the system that has been observed to work. I do have an idea of why this is so, by I'm including this in a book I'm writing so will wait until the book is published to share it.

I'm not sure what you mean by making predictions. Is this a traditional astrology technique? Not sure how to approach your question until I know this.

Best wishes

Miquar
__________________
True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment.

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks, page 118
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miquar For This Useful Post:
Luney (10-30-2017)
  #3  
Unread 10-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Luney's Avatar
Luney Luney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 281
Re: Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquar View Post
Hi Luney

The March equinox is the same all over the world. But this is the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere and the autumn equinox in the southern hemisphere.

The signs are the same all over the world because that is the system that has been observed to work. I do have an idea of why this is so, by I'm including this in a book I'm writing so will wait until the book is published to share it.

I'm not sure what you mean by making predictions. Is this a traditional astrology technique? Not sure how to approach your question until I know this.

Best wishes

Miquar
That's great that you will be explaining this in your book.
the way nature works, spring is when animals fornicate. When the earth starts to warm, when seeds should be planted in September.
I would predict that a good crop would be produced by planting in the correct season.
This is why I ask.
When seasons are explained in aslology, it is in the opposite.
This what makes Astrology a life time to learn.
I wish I started learning in kindergarten.
__________________
You need to dig deeper if you want to find the Treasure . L.Rae ☉/♏︎ ★ Asc/♏︎ ★ ♀/♏︎ ★ ♆/♏︎ ★ ☿/♏︎★☋/♏︎ ☾/♐︎ ★ ⴲ/♐︎ ⚘/♍︎ ★ ♂/♍︎ ★ ♅/♍︎ ★ ♄/♓︎ ★♃/♌︎★ MC/♌︎
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 10-31-2017, 07:05 PM
miquar's Avatar
miquar miquar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North West England
Posts: 3,218
Re: Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

Hi. Its just an idea I have about why the signs are as they are - I'm not sure I'll be explaining anything necessarily.

Planting in the correct season is obviously a meteorological/astronomical (i.e. seasonal) thing rather than astrological. However, many people plant according to the phases of the lunation cycle of course and these are the same for all locations on Earth. Also, in John Addey's book A New Study of Astrology, he briefly discusses some research that was done by a German anthroposophist (follower of Rudolph Steiner's teachings) called Maria Thun, who got good, consistent results by planting root crops during certain periods within the sidereal lunar month, leaf crops during others, flower crops during others, and fruit/seed crops during others. So that might be worth looking into.

Best wishes

Miquar
__________________
True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment.

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks, page 118
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miquar For This Useful Post:
Luney (11-01-2017)
  #5  
Unread 11-01-2017, 03:34 AM
Luney's Avatar
Luney Luney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 281
Re: Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

Well it seems I had a Divine timing finding an interesting interview on Chris Brennan's latest podcast .
They began talking about the seasons , tropical zodiac and how it effects both hemispheres, since they are opposite . Crops were just an example. Seasonal affective disorder is another.
Are people more prone to depression in the cold? Yes, lack of warmth and sunlight. (A bit like a plant).
I do have a planting by the moon planting guide for Australia. EST. (Llewellyn).
It does explain lunar cycles ,waxing, waning, fertile, barren, semi-fertile signs. Only explains which days within a given season to determine the best days.
Anyhow, The talk with Chris Brennan was so interesting, they may be doing a whole podcast on that subject alone.
Thanks for the info Miquar. I'll check it out.
I'll come back with some insightful info hopefully.
__________________
You need to dig deeper if you want to find the Treasure . L.Rae ☉/♏︎ ★ Asc/♏︎ ★ ♀/♏︎ ★ ♆/♏︎ ★ ☿/♏︎★☋/♏︎ ☾/♐︎ ★ ⴲ/♐︎ ⚘/♍︎ ★ ♂/♍︎ ★ ♅/♍︎ ★ ♄/♓︎ ★♃/♌︎★ MC/♌︎

Last edited by Luney; 11-01-2017 at 03:51 AM. Reason: More info.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 11-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Albatrossprox Albatrossprox is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Re: Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

Well, one possibility is that astrological findings that rely strictly on seasonality are bogus. Such as, "because you have a stellium in Taurus, the spring energy is extremely strong for you. You must be drawn to spring activities such as planting and enjoying the rain."

It's true that there are associations between the signs and the seasons. Most people consider Capricorn to have a fairly "cold" energy, and in the northern hemisphere, it occurs at the winter solstice. Similarly, Leo, being lion-like, reminds us of the hot savanna. Do we think that this is just convention due to the predominance of astrology in the northern hemisphere over thousands of years? Or is astrological influence "biased" towards the seasons of the northern hemisphere?

The latter interpretation doesn't seem to make much sense (and doesn't seem fair either), but we never really know. I think this is an important open question that hopefully research (and meditation) can shed some light on.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Albatrossprox For This Useful Post:
Luney (02-23-2018)
  #7  
Unread 02-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Luney's Avatar
Luney Luney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 281
Re: Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatrossprox View Post
Well, one possibility is that astrological findings that rely strictly on seasonality are bogus. Such as, "because you have a stellium in Taurus, the spring energy is extremely strong for you. You must be drawn to spring activities such as planting and enjoying the rain."

It's true that there are associations between the signs and the seasons. Most people consider Capricorn to have a fairly "cold" energy, and in the northern hemisphere, it occurs at the winter solstice. Similarly, Leo, being lion-like, reminds us of the hot savanna. Do we think that this is just convention due to the predominance of astrology in the northern hemisphere over thousands of years? Or is astrological influence "biased" towards the seasons of the northern hemisphere?

The latter interpretation doesn't seem to make much sense (and doesn't seem fair either), but we never really know. I think this is an important open question that hopefully research (and meditation) can shed some light on.
Bias because astrology was formed in the Northern Hemi, and 88 percent of people live in the Northern Hemisphere.
As you mentioned, me being ♉︎ , where again, I am spring in November ♏︎.. so yes I love planting and rain.. the coming of summer.
Absolutely.. our Capricorn is in the middle of summer, which warms Saturns cold nature.(you'd think) noting that Saturn by day is in sect . Does this effect the nature of the planets associated with the seasons? Much thought, much work to be done here.. thank you..
__________________
You need to dig deeper if you want to find the Treasure . L.Rae ☉/♏︎ ★ Asc/♏︎ ★ ♀/♏︎ ★ ♆/♏︎ ★ ☿/♏︎★☋/♏︎ ☾/♐︎ ★ ⴲ/♐︎ ⚘/♍︎ ★ ♂/♍︎ ★ ♅/♍︎ ★ ♄/♓︎ ★♃/♌︎★ MC/♌︎
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 02-24-2018, 04:48 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 12,474
Re: Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

Personally I do not credit much to signs vis a vis seasons, nor do I attempt to "explain" sign qualities by connecting these qualities to the qualities of the seasons. I believe this tendency to make these qualitative connections was (and is) due to the origination of astrology (Western and Vedic and Chinese) in the northern hemisphere.

I myself follow the alchemical "circulation of the elements" concept relative to the order (sequence) of signs, which concept has no connection with the quality of the seasons: this "circulation" of elements regarding the equinoxes and solstices and the sequential order of equinoctial and solstitial signs, flows from a "higher" element to a "lower" element and back again, in a four part annual cycle, viz. Fire (Aries, first equinox of the cycle) to Water (Cancer, first solstice of the cycle), then to Air (Libra, second equinox of the cycle)and lastly to Earth (Capricorn, second solstice of the cycle): thus high element (Fire/Aries) to low element (Water/Cancer) back to high element (Air/Libra) and finally to low element (Earth/Capricorn)
This cycle also follows the symbolic sequence of the "generation" of the elements
-highest element Fire with its opposing element Water
-next highest element Air with it's opposing element Earth

The equinoctial and solstitial signs also connect with the apogee and perigee of the Earth in relation to the Sun:
: solstitial Capricorn is at the time of the Earth perigee to Sun
: the first equinoctial sign (the first time in a 12 month period when Earth is equidistant from the Sun) is Aries
: the second solstitial sign, Cancer, is at the time the Earth is apogee from the Sun
: the second equinoctial sign (the second time in a 12 month period when the Earth is equidistant from the Sun) is Libra
So, Aries is equidistant from the Sun, followed by Cancer-when the Earth is apogee to the Sun, followed by Libra, with Earth again equidistant from Sun, followed by Capricorn-when the Earth is perigee to the Sun. We find the sign sequence:"midpoint" (Aries) then "furthest" (Cancer) then "midpoint" again (Libra), then finally "closest" (Capricorn).
I shall add that very ancient astrology calculated the time sequence using the Capricorn solstice as the beginning of the astrological year: Capricorn (closest to Sun) then to equidistant (Aries equinox) then to Cancer (furthest from Sun) lastly back to equidistant from Sun (the Libra equinox)

Last edited by dr. farr; 02-24-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dr. farr For This Useful Post:
Luney (02-25-2018)
  #9  
Unread 02-26-2018, 12:38 AM
Luney's Avatar
Luney Luney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 281
Re: Need clarification for seasons in Astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Personally I do not credit much to signs vis a vis seasons, nor do I attempt to "explain" sign qualities by connecting these qualities to the qualities of the seasons. I believe this tendency to make these qualitative connections was (and is) due to the origination of astrology (Western and Vedic and Chinese) in the northern hemisphere.

I myself follow the alchemical "circulation of the elements" concept relative to the order (sequence) of signs, which concept has no connection with the quality of the seasons: this "circulation" of elements regarding the equinoxes and solstices and the sequential order of equinoctial and solstitial signs, flows from a "higher" element to a "lower" element and back again, in a four part annual cycle, viz. Fire (Aries, first equinox of the cycle) to Water (Cancer, first solstice of the cycle), then to Air (Libra, second equinox of the cycle)and lastly to Earth (Capricorn, second solstice of the cycle): thus high element (Fire/Aries) to low element (Water/Cancer) back to high element (Air/Libra) and finally to low element (Earth/Capricorn)
This cycle also follows the symbolic sequence of the "generation" of the elements
-highest element Fire with its opposing element Water
-next highest element Air with it's opposing element Earth

The equinoctial and solstitial signs also connect with the apogee and perigee of the Earth in relation to the Sun:
: solstitial Capricorn is at the time of the Earth perigee to Sun
: the first equinoctial sign (the first time in a 12 month period when Earth is equidistant from the Sun) is Aries
: the second solstitial sign, Cancer, is at the time the Earth is apogee from the Sun
: the second equinoctial sign (the second time in a 12 month period when the Earth is equidistant from the Sun) is Libra
So, Aries is equidistant from the Sun, followed by Cancer-when the Earth is apogee to the Sun, followed by Libra, with Earth again equidistant from Sun, followed by Capricorn-when the Earth is perigee to the Sun. We find the sign sequence:"midpoint" (Aries) then "furthest" (Cancer) then "midpoint" again (Libra), then finally "closest" (Capricorn).
I shall add that very ancient astrology calculated the time sequence using the Capricorn solstice as the beginning of the astrological year: Capricorn (closest to Sun) then to equidistant (Aries equinox) then to Cancer (furthest from Sun) lastly back to equidistant from Sun (the Libra equinox)
I always highly regard your input Dr Farr, it's an honour actually to have to you bother with one of my queries. Thank you. I love what you have written here. Very clear to me as I'm not the smartest of scholars!
I did some research over the last two days and found some real interesting stuff on Robin Armstrongs Astrology site about the Southern Hemisphere. Wow.. thus they speak of it as a dilemma, he demonstrates charts that should be read totally opposite. Until I grasp the concept of the whole picture, I say this to anyone, the seasonal concept is very ancient and should be disregarded for the Southern Hemispere. It's an interesting read. Source:RASA School of Astrology. EDITED: as I’ve realised he has it wrong. Rudhyar took the same approach.
__________________
You need to dig deeper if you want to find the Treasure . L.Rae ☉/♏︎ ★ Asc/♏︎ ★ ♀/♏︎ ★ ♆/♏︎ ★ ☿/♏︎★☋/♏︎ ☾/♐︎ ★ ⴲ/♐︎ ⚘/♍︎ ★ ♂/♍︎ ★ ♅/♍︎ ★ ♄/♓︎ ★♃/♌︎★ MC/♌︎

Last edited by Luney; 04-07-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: RASA wrong information.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
astrology, clarification, seasons

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.