Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 07-31-2009, 06:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Frank
Beginning to Study Astrology

With the myriad of choices the Internet presents to those who wish to begin studying astrology, things can get confusing. People who have barely even looked at a chart are suddenly zooming off to investigate hypothetical planets, thousands of asteroids, and arcane techniques.

How do we keep those interested in astrology from developing AADD (Astrology Attention Deficit Disorder)?

Simple - encourage new students to stick to the basics until they have a complete grasp of astrology’s core. Unless the student has a firm grasp of basic concepts, there is nothing to build upon.

Astrology, if it is nothing else, is a language. And what is a language? It is expression of the mind. Taking this into consideration, how does an infant (or anyone else really) learn a language? Do they immediately start constructing complex sentences out of thin air? No – they learn a few key words an build upon them. Verbs like “eat,’ “go” and “make.” Nouns like “mama,” daddy,” and “tree.” Simple thoughts can then be expressed, like “Mama go tree” – then those can be modified and strung together into more complex expressions.

This is how I teach my astrology students. Lean the basics first, because when it starts to get more complex, you have the basic tools to make sense of things.

When I get a new beginning student or class of students, I always ask them for their definitions of astrology. Usually, the answer is “Oh, it’s the signs and stuff.” Or, “Well, I’m a Cancer so it’s very emotional thing for me.”

I then tell them that I use two definitions of astrology. One is four words: “As above, so below.” The other is slightly more words, but basically the same meaning: “The study of the positions and aspects of celestial bodies in correlation with the course of natural earthly occurrences and human affairs.”

Then, I point out to them that there is no mention of “signs” in either of the definitions. I tell them, “It’s going to be quite a while before we talk about the nature of the signs – they are just modifiers of the most important things in astrology – the Sun, Moon and Planets. These are the language of astrology’s verbs. Then we are going to look at the Houses, which are astrology’s nouns. This will take us the better part of 11 or 12 meetings – before we really study Signs and what they are.”

The first seven meetings cover, in order Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, The Sun, Venus, Mercury and the Moon. There is homework after each meeting. Each student is asked to come up with ten verbs for the body we are studying that meeting. It’s more difficult than it sounds at first, they usually figure out. We go over the verbs at the next meeting before we start in on the next planet in the sequence. After the first seven sessions, I do one session on Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.

The next sessions concern the Houses as nouns – divided into Angular, Succedent and Cadent.

Then, finally, there are sessions on the signs – the adverbs. First taking them on as Elements, then as Cardinal, Fixed and Mutable, then looking at where the Planets fit into each sign (or not) dignity wise. This usually takes three classes overall, depending on how well the students are integrating things. Aspects (Ptolemaic at this point only) as adjectives are then discussed for one class – as the stage has been set for their energies by the previous discussions.

Then, and only then, do we really begin to explore chart synthesis, after learning how to do basic chart calculations. Any other techniques are not for basic classes.

The total of beginning class sessions should take around 16 meetings. You’ll notice that fully half of those sessions concern ONLY the Sun, Moon, and Planets.

Why? Because they are the most important thing in astrology.

You can’t do any sort of astrology without them.
arya ishtar (04-04-2016), samerbassoulou (07-16-2014), squirrelofdoom (05-01-2017)
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:10 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology

Frank, this is a wonderful addition to this Forum. I hope all the members here will read this as indeed, as you say:
People who have barely even looked at a chart are suddenly zooming off to investigate hypothetical planets, thousands of asteroids, and arcane techniques.
This is what exasperates me every time again. Even the other day someone was asking about a point in space I just had never even heard of!!! and I am in this business for over 30 years.

Thank you very much for the precise and "step for step" explanation on how you work. This will be a great help for any beginner. New beginners just have to learn to be patient and stop being curious about what will happen to them. I cant tell you how often I have pointed that out.

Made my day!

Starlink
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM

I would love to put this thread somewhere else, in recommendations maybe? What do you think. It is just too good for the chat department. Let me know and I will move it for you.

S.
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Frank

Where ever you think it fits best - I wanted to have discussion of it, so I thought the Education Board was the wrong choice. Maybe Greenhorns' Lounge?
Unread 07-31-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe Greenhorns' Lounge?
Very good suggestion. I will see if I can make a Sticky out of it. Newby's should see this.

Thanks, S.
Unread 07-31-2009, 09:05 PM

OK Frank, I moved it, made it into a Sticky and rated it with 5 golden stars!!

Starlink
Unread 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Where ever you think it fits best - I wanted to have discussion of it, so I thought the Education Board was the wrong choice. Maybe Greenhorns' Lounge?
Very good suggestion. I will see if I can make a Sticky out of it. Newby's should see this.
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwillson View Post
this is *already* a sticky and appropriately placed in 'Beginner's board'
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlink View Post
Frank, this is a wonderful addition to this Forum. I hope all the members here will read this as indeed, as you say:
People who have barely even looked at a chart are suddenly zooming off to investigate hypothetical planets, thousands of asteroids, and arcane techniques.
This is what exasperates me every time again. Even the other day someone was asking about a point in space I just had never even heard of!!! and I am in this business for over 30 years.

Thank you very much for the precise and "step for step" explanation on how you work. This will be a great help for any beginner. New beginners just have to learn to be patient and stop being curious about what will happen to them. I cant tell you how often I have pointed that out.

Made my day!

Starlink
I understand your frustration about these asteroids, fixed stars and whatever. Someone just seems to manufacture the legends about them and mainly because they want to evoke a scenario to play out the way they want. I never use them and I have been practising for 30 years also.
I am even skeptical about Chiron to be honest.
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:02 AM

As a fellow astrology teacher you are right on!!! THe problem is that immature and inexperienced people espouse all sorts of astrology techniques when it is a science and an art that take experience and wisdom to handle responsibly.

SUre it is fine to experiment and research but it is an ancient science with basic principles that need always to be adhered to. I am not an advocate of asteroids, fixed stars or the like and it is well known here. Keep a complex subject as simple as possible is my motto. The major planets in our solar system and the nodes. I dont bother with minor aspects unless there is very little else to work with which is very rare. Chiron is possibly valid and I use it but as an adjunct and not a major player.

Good work.
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Frank wrote:
With the myriad of choices the Internet presents to those who wish to begin studying astrology, things can get confusing. People who have barely even looked at a chart are suddenly zooming off to investigate hypothetical planets, thousands of asteroids, and arcane techniques........................
I'm probably putting my head on the chopping block here, yet I think the major problem with those who start 'to study' astrology is that most of them aren't actually interested in learning the craft and its techniques for itself, rather than fulfilling a Mercurial curiousity in a general knowledge of what it can tell them in the way of predicting/answering personal life events..... and then as quickly as possible.

According to the statistics, this forum boasts over 9000 members who have made themselves known at some time or another, of which less than 10% is ' currently active'. Of that total or percentage, how many are, or remain, questioners who are not really interested in offering insights to others as a result of their love for (Venus) and actively working (Mars) towards gaining knowledge(Jupiter) in mastering (Saturn) a subject beyond their personal self (Uranus)? IMHO there has to be more than plain interst and curiousity to study any subject in depth.....of which astrology is but one of many.

Sincerely,
A student of astrology.
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisiangal View Post
I'm probably putting my head on the chopping block here, yet I think the major problem with those who start 'to study' astrology is that most of them aren't actually interested in learning the craft and its techniques for itself, rather than fulfilling a Mercurial curiousity in a general knowledge of what it can tell them in the way of predicting/answering personal life events..... and then as quickly as possible.
Sincerely,
A student of astrology.
Actually, I began a study because I wanted to argue with an associate and prove him wrong. But I had no facts. So I began an intensive study, learning to cast charts, etc., all the while thinking I would ultimately show him up.

Problem is, the stuff is very accurate, and I was led immediately into a set of clients with major Pluto issues (I seemed to attract them). As a result I began to take it seriously and do work for others almost full time.
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
IMHO there has to be more than plain interst and curiousity to study any subject in depth.....of which astrology is but one of many.
Yup, its called Passion with a capital"P".

Fear is the one thing that stops people from living a great life, and collecting all the experience that they possibly can. And many of us build castles around us that we think will keep the threat out. All it does in reality is lock our potential in - Geoff Thompson
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07.Re View Post
Yup, its called Passion with a capital"P".

I agree it has to be a passion as it is a difficult and complex subject and many fall by the wayside in their studies and dont complete.

I am one that has been enamoured of it all for many many years and I feel it is really a calling of a sort. We need a strong Uranus for sure or 11th house or Aquarian planets to stick with astrology......Jupiter connections also help as do planets in the 8th of the metaphysical realms and the 12th for spiritual yearnings. The 9th for a sense of faith and learning the Universal truths. Any and all of these combinations.. Pluto for obsession, passion and tenacity......

Last edited by Claire19; 05-27-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Unread 05-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire19 View Post
I agree it has to be a passion as it is a difficult and complex subject and many fall by the wayside in their studies and dont complete.

I am one that has been enamoured of it all for many many years and I feel it is really a calling of a sort. We need a strong Uranus for sure or 11th house or Aquarian planets to stick with astrology......Jupiter connections also help as do planets in the 8th of the metaphysical realms and the 12th for spiritual yearnings. The 9th for a sense of faith and learning the Universal truths. Any and all of these combinations.. Pluto for obsession, passion and tenacity......
True, I have very close trine to MC and teach astrology,Aquarius Asc, uranus conj sun/moon midpoint AND have written a diploma and do public speaking when I have the time it is addictive...
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:37 AM

Nice suggession !
@atoot
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Gina,
I sincerely hope your motivation for studying astrology is not to achieve financial success. Astrology is to better understand yourself and others.
Unread 06-25-2011, 01:54 AM

Thank you for putting some structure to the method of learning. The more I learned, the more I learned what I didn't know and the snowball of ignorance was becoming overwhelming.
I have always known there was more to "me" than a Sun Sign. There are too many variations in personalities to believe we should all fit into 12 categories. When I stated (last week?) learning of the impact of What (planets), How (Signs), and where (houses), I knew I was onto something rich. Something that could tangibly support the "Nature" part of the Nature/Nurture discission. So, I started cutting and pasting blurbs and definitions together. It started making sense but was extremely time consuming. Then came the aspects ...., then predictive astrology,... my brain went into overload. I knew I needed to step back and begin a more structured approach - but where to start. This is a fascinating discipline. I am grateful for all the help and guidance to understand it better.
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Although I am an everyday student of astrology and have been for over 40 years, I have not formally been a teacher. However, whenever I ventured into that area of teaching I took a very direct route. The first thing I did was give several keywords for two bodies as simplistic as for Mars and Moon and then gave several keywords for square and trine. Without priming them, I would then ask a question such as what would a stress relationship cause between Mars and Moon and then I would ask what would a cooperative aspect between Mars and Moon cause. It was pretty easy for me to see those who were willing to explore, check their self, and invest their self in the face of an immediate test. From this process, I would find out two things or more. Are they willing to think and once I asked them to elaborate beyond their first response, were they able to extrapolate and intuit. An added option in order to see if they could apply their integration process was to the ask them to apply this to two different people they knew, one with each aspect, who were well known celebrities or friends. With this process, within five minutes I had let them know what it was like to require to work with astrology, which also revealed whether they were interested in how the subject worked, other than for self searching. I was able to ascertain if they were willing to put their self on the line, looking inward and being willing to project their ideas where they might be judged and receive feedback. How they engaged in their first speculations, told me a lot about their possible aptitudes. Obviously this type of procedure cannot absolutely show all potential students initial aptitude, but it can often help the teacher get a handle on each prospective student in one way or another. Sometimes the student might immediately reveal the gift within them

Last edited by QuantumMystic; 12-06-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM

There is an essence also which can not be grasped by anyone wants to study...i.e
It is written in your chart if you CAN be an astrologer or not.
Unread 02-26-2015, 02:59 AM

well i am scorp too so..
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:

According to the statistics, this forum boasts over 9000 members who have made themselves known at some time or another, of which less than 10% is ' currently active'. Of that total or percentage, how many are, or remain, questioners who are not really interested in offering insights to others as a result of their love for (Venus) and actively working (Mars) towards gaining knowledge(Jupiter) in mastering (Saturn) a subject beyond their personal self (Uranus)? IMHO there has to be more than plain interst and curiousity to study any subject in depth.....of which astrology is but one of many.

Sincerely,
A student of astrology.
As a teacher and having many students pass through my classes I find that they just want a quick solution to their particular problems rather and not really prepared to study and put in the hours that it takes to become a proficient basic astrologer..To become really adept takes much practise and years...... But once in a while I have a student who is destined to be an astrologer and shows great promise. This compensates for the sense of frustration I often feel when so many drop out well before even the intermediate stage of learning. It is those that have half knowledge or their own theories that are a danger when they give prediction.
Unread 02-16-2014, 04:39 PM

Smile Re: Beginning to Study Astrology

Quote:

Sincerely,
A student of astrology.
I think that is a definite "yes"! I am in a sense a student because I am interested in learning...have always been fascinated with astrology. I do have questions about life/love and relationships and am interested in learning more about myself, what I need to work on to be my best and happiest. For me that was the real desire I felt to look into my natal chart (which I do not even pretend to understand) and relationship charts because if we live, we have positive and negative relationships so to me it is natural to question or open my mind to what I contribute to these relationships. I am hungry for interpretations and comments and try to learn more about what they are talking about and seeing how it really fits into what is happening with my life. This is fascinating to me.

So I am trying to go back and look at the basics, it is and probably will continue to be confusing and overwhelming, but I want to learn so I am reading and trying to read and absorb. I appreciate and enjoy all the advice and references on this site and it has been the most helpful in knowing where to focus-the basics
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM

obviously astrology takes time to study, and depending on the depth one is willing to dig, there can't be any set rules for growth, we will all study as and when we feel it's necessary, sure there are plenty of people that are simply observing, not necessarily contributing since their knowledge of x, y & z are limited in their experience with those factors. Learn, but learn blindly, my mother said, who was a full sign/house Gemini. Something fascinating about the art of study, is the 'necessity for return' as well, like many interesting materials, we find ourselves, 'returning' because the second time donates a new understanding.

"while moist soil nourishes a richer trunk, thicker branches & fatter, more wholesome leaves, it doesn't encourage hight, let them wallow into willow"
- an Arborist
..Her hands feel the embrace of heavy tools, red cloth wraps her wet body, she's changing. her hair curves out into thick locks. her tear-shaped breasts now armoured, body fit. Aware of her quick perception as eagles pass on the vast plains, her breathing deepens. Feet stabilize, muscles tighten, head tilted forward. Fire fills dreamy Luna's heart, sharpening her senses. Now enriched by her freedom to act again, she turns away from the water "the answers are here, i'll have to fight for them.."
Unread 01-15-2010, 11:29 PM

Absolutely spot on!!!!

Tags
astrology, beginning, study