Why do I keep hiring the wrong Astrologers?

athenian200

I know that there are good Astrologers out there, because I've seen some incredibly insightful analyses of charts. But I can't seem to find them easily.

I've found that every time I try to pay for a chart reading of some kind, I don't get anything out of it except a lighter wallet. What keeps happening is that I pay for a reading, and then the Astrologer gives me very vague hints about what they think is important.

They also have a tendency to act as though reading the chart is mentally draining for them, and takes them a long time. They always want to stretch the readings out as long as possible in order to get me to pay for multiple hours and sessions. It feels like they are deliberately giving me as little for my money as possible in some cases.

I find that between sessions, putting in the effort to do research on the chart myself and asking around tends to produce clearer results and is more helpful in the long run than the service I paid for.

If I ask them their opinion about chart factors like planets being in sect, fixed stars, dodecatemoria, sabian symbols, or Arabic parts, they tend to dismiss those things as unimportant and say they only use the 9 planets. Worse, I've actually gotten into arguments with them about the house system they use, how they interpret the houses, and in some cases even what they think the planets symbolize (which in some cases has actually been somewhat personally offensive as well as incorrect). This, of course, ends up costing me more money because they count it against my time.

Ultimately, it just seems like I get more out of asking about Astrology online and spending a few hours researching concepts than I do out of paying someone to read my chart. I've spent over $300 of my money going to various Astrologers over the past few years, and I've never found one that seemed to help me or tell me anything I didn't already know.

So, what I'm really asking is... what am I missing? I look for positive/negative reviews and such of the Astrologer, and I make sure they have at least a couple years of experience. Is it my communication? Am I making my requests unclear to them?

I think I must be a bad judge of skill or character. :/ How can I determine whether I should purchase a reading from a given Astrologer? Reputation seems unreliable, as does their stated amount of experience. It seems like finding a good one is purely luck.

I should note, this isn't just a problem with Astrologers. I seem to have similar issues when hiring anyone who does a service for me. They always have more limited skills than advertised, and want to charge me a premium for those skills regardless. For instance, one time I had an electrician out to replace a ceiling light fixture. While they were out here doing that, I asked them if they could bypass the ballast in order to allow the replacement of a T8 fluorescent light with an T8-shaped LED bulb. They shrugged and said they didn't know how to do that, and thus couldn't help me.

yeXF9H1.gif

Again, I don't have a low opinion of Astrology as a profession, not at all. I'm specifically wondering why I keep hiring the wrong ones. I know that I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I know that there are good Astrologers out there,
because I've seen some incredibly insightful analyses of charts.
But I can't seem to find them easily.

I've found that every time I try to pay for a chart reading of some kind, I don't get anything out of it except a lighter wallet. What keeps happening is that I pay for a reading, and then the Astrologer gives me very vague hints about what they think is important.

They also have a tendency to act as though reading the chart is mentally draining for them, and takes them a long time. They always want to stretch the readings out as long as possible in order to get me to pay for multiple hours and sessions. It feels like they are deliberately giving me as little for my money as possible in some cases.

I find that between sessions, putting in the effort to do research on the chart myself and asking around tends to produce clearer results and is more helpful in the long run than the service I paid for.

If I ask them their opinion about chart factors
like planets being in sect,
fixed stars,
dodecatemoria........
............ or Arabic parts,
they tend to dismiss those things as unimportant
and say they only use the 9 planets.
Sect,
fixed stars,
dodecatemoria,
arabic parts
are all factors TRADITIONAL ASTROLOGERS are familiar with :smile:

Contact BENJAMIN DYKES - TRADITIONAL ASTROLOGER
http://www.bendykes.com/reading.php
Worse, I've actually gotten into arguments with them about the house system they use, how they interpret the houses, and in some cases even what they think the planets symbolize (which in some cases has actually been somewhat personally offensive as well as incorrect). This, of course, ends up costing me more money because they count it against my time.

Ultimately, it just seems like I get more out of asking about Astrology online and spending a few hours researching concepts than I do out of paying someone to read my chart. I've spent over $300 of my money going to various Astrologers over the past few years, and I've never found one that seemed to help me or tell me anything I didn't already know.

So, what I'm really asking is... what am I missing? I look for positive/negative reviews and such of the Astrologer, and I make sure they have at least a couple years of experience. Is it my communication? Am I making my requests unclear to them?

I think I must be a bad judge of skill or character. :/ How can I determine whether I should purchase a reading from a given Astrologer? Reputation seems unreliable, as does their stated amount of experience. It seems like finding a good one is purely luck.

I should note, this isn't just a problem with Astrologers. I seem to have similar issues when hiring anyone who does a service for me. They always have more limited skills than advertised, and want to charge me a premium for those skills regardless. For instance, one time I had an electrician out to replace a ceiling light fixture. While they were out here doing that, I asked them if they could bypass the ballast in order to allow the replacement of a T8 fluorescent light with an T8-shaped LED bulb. They shrugged and said they didn't know how to do that, and thus couldn't help me.

Again, I don't have a low opinion of Astrology as a profession, not at all. I'm specifically wondering why I keep hiring the wrong ones. I know that I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what.
Another TRADITIONAL ASTROLOGER familiar with
Sect,
fixed stars,
dodecatemoria,
arabic parts
i
s
MARTIN GANSTEN
http://www.martingansten.com/nr.php

athenian200

Thanks, JUPITERASC.

Now that you mention it, I think that might have been the problem. None of the people I paid before seemed to specialize in any particular kind of Astrology. They charged by the hour and didn't offer any kind of complete or focused delineation. I didn't even think that was an option.

Also, I got into a bad habit of paying $60 each to three or four people at a time rather than $200-$300 to a single person, hoping that at least one would give me a little bit of useful insight. I was going off various directories and online listings. Highest price I ever saw on those listings was $120/hr.

It seems the people who are best at this stuff advertise a lot less and make up for having fewer clients with (much) higher prices. Not that I mind, though. I'd rather save up for a good reading than keep throwing my money away on mediocre ones.

JUPITERASC

Thanks, JUPITERASC.

Now that you mention it, I think that might have been the problem. None of the people I paid before seemed to specialize in any particular kind of Astrology. They charged by the hour and didn't offer any kind of complete or focused delineation. I didn't even think that was an option.

Also, I got into a bad habit of paying $60 each to three or four people at a time rather than $200-$300 to a single person, hoping that at least one would give me a little bit of useful insight. I was going off various directories and online listings. Highest price I ever saw on those listings was $120/hr.

It seems the people who are best at this stuff
advertise a lot less
and make up for having fewer clients
with (much) higher prices.
Not that I mind, though.
I'd rather save up for a good reading
than keep throwing my money away on mediocre ones.

Traditional astrologers such as those I linked in previous posts
spend many hours on INDIVIDUAL DELINEATION OF A NATAL CHART :smile:

and
BENJAMIN DYKES for example translates ancient astrological manuscripts
and is familiar with ancient languages such as Latin and Greek

so
compared with computer-generated printouts from the
'One-Size-Fits-All-School of Unreliable Astrology

BENJAMIN DYKES and MARTIN GANSTEN's charges are realistic and reasonable

Zarathu

Account Closed
Sounds like you need to hire a traditional astrologer.

While there are many very competent modern astrologers out there, if you ask about sect and other words like that then you won't get much of a response.

But then in my experience there are also many many many astrologers who claim to be skilled and don't know their astrological whatever from a hole in the ground.

Its a sad state of affairs. But then I don't read charts. Since I am a Counseling Astrologer, I am more interested in assisting people with a serious issue in their lives and using astrology to address it, rather than giving them a straight forward 6 page summary of the blueprint of a chart. My kind of work requires serious introspection on the part of the client and the willingness to work with me over time to solve a problem. That requires a good bit of time, and is not in any way a one shot deal.

But maybe I am missing something, but I don't know how to answer your question with horary. Now if you had asked: "Am I missing something?".... But still, horary expects to be able to give a solid, or semi-solid Yes/No type of answer, that can be proved. I'm not sure how to prove your answer. Since most people want a simple answer to their complex problem, I often simply get ignored when I offer them a serious professional level of astrology, but also require them to work on it with me. They simply want a simple answer: here, take this pill and your world will suddenly be a fairy-tale.

You might want to read the FAQ on how horary questions are asked:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/faq.php?faq=horary#faq_horary_astrology_boards

Last edited:

Marinka

Also, I got into a bad habit of paying $60 each to three or four people at a time

$60 is not much money for a reading. For a decent reading you would be looking at 300+ for an hour (at the lowest charges). Costs also depend on whether you are looking at natal chart interpretation or predictions. In most cases, an hour is not enough to cover all the information most people would like to hear.

Marinka

Maybe a good question would be: what is that you want to know from the astrologers that you are asking questions?

This is a good point. Too many people come to see astrologers and just let the astrologer go through the charts without any direction. It's much better if you focus on some questions that you want answers to whether it be about personality traits, vocational choices or future events like marriage. That way, you can better identify whether the service was adequate.

Unfortunately, some people equate their "like" of the answer (what they wanted to hear) as to whether the service was good or not.

athenian200

Its a sad state of affairs. But then I don't read charts. Since I am a Counseling Astrologer, I am more interested in assisting people with a serious issue in their lives and using astrology to address it, rather than giving them a straight forward 6 page summary of the blueprint of a chart. My kind of work requires serious introspection on the part of the client and the willingness to work with me over time to solve a problem. That requires a good bit of time, and is not in any way a one shot deal.

That sounds kind of like a psychologist or therapist. The Astrology in that case seems like a minor part of a much larger variety of therapy practice. I can definitely see how it would be useful as a tool for that purpose.

But maybe I am missing something, but I don't know how to answer your question with horary. Now if you had asked: "Am I missing something?".... But still, horary expects to be able to give a solid, or semi-solid Yes/No type of answer, that can be proved. I'm not sure how to prove your answer. Since most people want a simple answer to their complex problem, I often simply get ignored when I offer them a serious professional level of astrology, but also require them to work on it with me. They simply want a simple answer: here, take this pill and your world will suddenly be a fairy-tale.
Ah, "why" questions aren't well-suited to this format then. I see.

This is a good point. Too many people come to see astrologers and just let the astrologer go through the charts without any direction. It's much better if you focus on some questions that you want answers to whether it be about personality traits, vocational choices or future events like marriage. That way, you can better identify whether the service was adequate.

Unfortunately, some people equate their "like" of the answer (what they wanted to hear) as to whether the service was good or not.

Well, I have asked questions as well. The problem is that the answers they give are usually wrong or oversimplified. A lot of times, they just tell me that they don't see why I have any problems, or else they identify problems I don't actually have.

One of the more frustrating things is when they tell me stuff like "there's no obstacles and it's all about choice," or keep telling me to do whatever I want like that's going to make things better.

I often feel that they just note that a few planets are strongly placed in association with my question, and then tell me that I should be doing much better than I am. Even insisting that my situation must somehow be all my fault because it's not in the chart. But if I can see my situation reflected in the chart (even staying on the level of planets and houses), I don't see why they can't and insist on ignoring it for arbitrary reasons while counting the placements that haven't really influenced my life much.

Anyway, I think I know what to do now, and thanks to everyone who took the time to read this thread. I guess it wasn't necessary to read the horary chart after all. LOL.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

That sounds kind of like a psychologist or therapist. The Astrology in that case seems like a minor part of a much larger variety of therapy practice. I can definitely see how it would be useful as a tool for that purpose.

Ah, "why" questions aren't well-suited to this format then.

I see.

Well, I have asked questions as well. The problem is that the answers they give are usually wrong or oversimplified. A lot of times, they just tell me that they don't see why I have any problems, or else they identify problems I don't actually have.

One of the more frustrating things is when they tell me stuff like "there's no obstacles and it's all about choice," or keep telling me to do whatever I want like that's going to make things better.

I often feel that they just note that a few planets are strongly placed in association with my question, and then tell me that I should be doing much better than I am. Even insisting that my situation must somehow be all my fault because it's not in the chart. But if I can see my situation reflected in the chart (even staying on the level of planets and houses), I don't see why they can't and insist on ignoring it for arbitrary reasons while counting the placements that haven't really influenced my life much.

Anyway, I think I know what to do now, and thanks to everyone who took the time to read this thread. I guess it wasn't necessary to read the horary chart after all. LOL.
BobZemco provided us with basic Horary advice :smile:
The theory behind Horary is very simple:

1) there is a Question that weighs very heavily on your mind.

2) when you have a clear understanding of what it is that you really want to know,
you cast a chart or an astrologer casts one for you

3) That freezes the Planets as they transit the heavens at that moment
(hence: Horary)

4) the Rising Sign and Planet that rules the Rising Sign represents you

5) the House, or often more correctly, the Sign that represents the Matter you're asking about and the Planet that rules that Sign represents the Matter. The Matter can be a person or a thing or an idea (like a rumor or a dream).

6) the relationship between those two rulers tells you what has happened, and what is yet to come.
That relationship is in the form of aspects.
If there are no aspects, then there is nothing to come.

7) the Moon plays a special dual-role signifying the State of Mind of the Querent and also how things play out, how they happen, and when they happen.
When there are no aspects formed by the Moon (ie it is Void of Course) then nothing will happen.
Note that there are a handful of certain special select Horary Questions where a Void of Course Moon is not relevant.
Those are often war, conflict or legal questions, or Questions related to Career.

8) in addition to forming aspects, those Planets must also have Perfect Reception, as opposed to simple Reception.
Reception is about "allowing." For example if Mars is applying in aspect to Jupiter, and Jupiter receives Mars then Jupiter is allowing Mars to act. Jupiter is effectively saying, "Go ahead and do that thing that you do." If Jupiter does not receive Mars, then Jupiter is effectively saying, "Go away and leave me alone. Go. Get out of here." If it is a Sign of Enmity, like Mars in Capricorn (the Fall of Jupiter) then Jupiter is effectively saying, "Cease and Desist. I will stop you from doing anything. If necessary, I may even get violent to stop you." And that just might be the case if Jupiter were also in a Violent Sign, otherwise Jupiter would just keep slamming doors in your face.

9) How things actually play out depends a lot on the "strength" of the Planets involved.
The strength of the Planets indicates their ability to do act and do things and carry out plans and make things happen.
A Planet that is not just in its own Sign,
but also in its Triplicity or Term,
and
is Direct in Motion,
Fast in Speed,
Angular or Succedent,
in Hayz,
in a trine aspect with Venus/Jupiter/Sun is very powerful.

That's a person with a purpose in life who has both the will and ability to act and make things happen.

A Planet that is Slow in Speed,
Retrograde,
in Fall/Detriment,
Cadent,
and not in Sect
or worse is Out-of Sect
isn't going to be able to do anything,
even when there is Perfect Reception in the chart, this person is going to botch every thing up
and turn a dream about ponies and gum-drops into a nightmare,
because they don't have the strength or will to make things happen.

10) when charts have early/late Ascendants, Void of Course Moons, Moon via Combusta, Saturn in the 1st or 7th House (when not a significator) you can look at the chart for reasons why you are getting those warnings.

Often a non-significator Planet is making an aspect to one of the primary significators. Sextiles and trines usually indicate on-going events which first must be completed before anything can happen. Conjunctions, squares and opposition usually indicate obstacles that are preventing things from happening, and with the "hard" aspects sometimes things can still happen if those obstacles can be overcome.

The condition and placement of the Moon/Ascendant Ruler will tell you the State of Mind and what kind of person the Querent is; good-hearted, or ambivalent, or in sheer terror, in a total panic, has the "stink of desperation" or is immature and selfish, looking do to harm, or is someone you wouldn't let your dog go near. The Planet that is the Quesited/Matter will tell you about them, but not with the same clarity as the Querent. A poorly placed 10th House Ruler might be a job you really don't want, because it ain't all that or isn't what you think it is. A poorly placed 7th House Ruler is someone you might not really want to be with, or something you don't really want to buy and so on.

For a Planet (like the Ascendant Ruler) in Detriment, it is important that it make an aspect to the 1st House (ie it is not inconjunct in the 2nd, 6th, 8th or 12th Houses), and for other significators that it aspect the House it rules. A Planet that is inconjunct to the House it rules can't witness or give testimony to the affairs of that House. That means it cannot control those events, and being weak in Detriment has even less control and less ability to effect outcomes.

venuschild

Banned
Athenian200

I know that there are good Astrologers out there, because I've seen some incredibly insightful analyses of charts. But I can't seem to find them easily.

Athenian200, several of the iconic authors of the past have noted the shame and disrespect for the art and science as you have noted, as there are many who are charlatans and are discrediting the science. Some you may note upon reading various forums and if one pays attention you'll see 'the wolves in sheep's clothing' on this forum as well, of how so few give accurate verdicts of horaries or some don't even comprehend methodology that was the very foundation of horary a thousand years ago.

For example, my mother had two female friends who dabbled in astrology, that many professionals call 'house-wifery' astrologers. One in her 80s, who never took a course still can Not identify the glyphs and aspect symbols! The other is so ignorant about combustion, she has no glue of combust just like a few on this forum. She thinks sun cjt mercury gives a planet strength; and she is has never even heard of cazimi!

Then if you wish to hear sadness, there was a Metaphysical bookstore in the area where the owner did horary. In a recent dialogue with her, she had no idea who William Lilly, Dorothy J. Kovach, or who Deborah Holding was or is.

One needs to test out the reputations of astrologers, through those they have helped, their forum postings if they are involved in such, and ask about their credibility.

The problem I've found in talking with giants like Rick Nolle, formerly employed by AFA in Tempe, Az., is AFA at one time according to Rick Nolle was letting the test slide in that what an astrology student donated AFA determined their passing the test; and that is definitely cheating or unscrupulous professionalism.

http://www.astropro.com/futures.html

Then one truly has to question the why of it of these two well known astrologers who went into a feud:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangeline_Adams

250px-EvangelineAdams.jpg
crowley.jpg

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/adams.html

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False Religions/Wicca & Witchcraft/aleister_crowley.htm

When you have read Henry Coley's text on this website you'll understand why he said what he did for the betterment of astrologers, our sacred art of horary:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/clavis.html

"One grand Reason (I suppose) that hath occasioned many ingenious persons to have but low and mean thoughts of Astrology, is this; Viz. There are (and hath been) many ignorant and illiterate Professors of both Sex) in, and about this famous and Flourishing City of London, (whose names I shall not mention) that too confidently adventure to set up with a very small stock of Knowledg in Astrology, for the sake of Gain, and profess themselves Artists, but are not able to perform anything therein according to Art; only stuff their Clyents with many Impertinencies, under pretence of the Language of the Stars, thereby abusing their Querents, and consequently bring a Scandal upon this so excellent and useful a piece of Learning, and the more noble Professors thereof; which hath deterred many persons from the Study of Astrology, that otherwise (perhaps) might have proved good Proficients therein. I speak not this out of any prejudice I have to their Persons, nor in the least to advantage my own Interest, for I am a lover of Art, and those that (without abuse) do use it."

Last edited:

venuschild

Banned
scumbagpsychicsylviabrowne-7182.jpeg

I think it has relevance to the precession of the equinox, the leaving Pisces and going into Aquarius as dawn, noon and dusk/sundown are the most notable or critical points in a day. So the Neptunian factor has great play!

Thus the Charlatans come out of the dark and plague the art and science.

http://threemoongoddess.com/astrology-a-belief-or-weather-report/

http://books.google.com/books?id=w0...lliam Lilly charlatans bad astrology'&f=false

http://astrologyforaquarius.com/cha...ory/pisces-and-the-age-of-mystical-astrology/

Robert_Fludd's_An_Astrologer_Casting_a_Horoscope_1617.jpg

One has to use a lot of discretion in finding honest competent astrologers or they will encounter parasitical types!

How-to-draw-count-dracula.jpg

Zarathu

Account Closed
scumbagpsychicsylviabrowne-7182.jpeg

I think it has relevance to the precession of the equinox, the leaving Pisces and going into Aquarius as dawn, noon and dusk/sundown are the most notable or critical points in a day. So the Neptunian factor has great play!

Thus the Charlatans come out of the dark and plague the art and science.

http://threemoongoddess.com/astrology-a-belief-or-weather-report/

http://books.google.com/books?id=w0...lliam Lilly charlatans bad astrology'&f=false

http://astrologyforaquarius.com/cha...ory/pisces-and-the-age-of-mystical-astrology/

Robert_Fludd's_An_Astrologer_Casting_a_Horoscope_1617.jpg

One has to use a lot of discretion in finding honest competent astrologers or they will encounter parasitical types!

How-to-draw-count-dracula.jpg

You aren't the return of Clinton Soules are you?