Is this condo we want to place an offer on a good investment?

Ace

My other half and I saw from the online listing photos a condo unit in a building which looks quite nice and updated. It will be used as a vacation rental (Airbnb). The cashflow and everything looks great upon reviewing the disclosures. We already have a pre-approval letter, but wanted to see what we can see from the chart. Hopefully, I'm not to subjective so please anyone please assist. My apologies if this is a bit short on the analysis portion as the day was spent gathering paperwork and applying for the loans with little sleep so here we go. I need to move quick though as I don't want a bidding war so not sure what I should go in with.

I am Mars in 5H. Interestingly I think this chart will hold more significance being that the horary ASC and Sun is also in the same signs as my own natal birth chart.

Price of property is ruled by Mercury 8H. Mutual reception is occurring between my sign and exaltation with Moon 10H. Moon trine Saturn in 3H. Appears that this shows the pre-approval and will eventually get the loan. Not sure if thermion placed there means it's overpriced or not. I was thinking of just going in with list price due to an overall competitive market conditions.

Property itself is Jupiter. I'm having a hard time understanding this one as the property is very updated and with Jupiter in Cap and retrograde it doesn't seem the property is very nice??? Puzzled on this. Mars square Jupiter (ruling my finances) shows not such a positive thing either. S.N. also in 2H.

Not exactly confident. I actually really like the place, but seems like this would not be a suitable for the finances. What do you guys think? Would you make on offer based on this chart?

Attachments

• Investment.jpg
    Investment.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 26

waybread

Ace. I see this chart as promising.

It's a bit convoluted but I would read a new dwelling that is not your current home as the 4th from the 4th house, or radix 7th. Money from it would be the second house from the 7th, or radix 8th. The 8th also works as "shared resources."

Then Mercury, ruler of the 8th and Mars (you) apply to a nice sextile. Looks good. Despite it's late degree, the moon applies to a trine with Saturn. Also looks good. The essential dignities and reception are more problematic (Mercury only in its own face in Cancer, Mars falls in Mercury's sign.... stuff like that... but I think applying aspects are more important.

Personally I might make an offer based on this chart, but...

I would suggest "proceed with caution." It doesn't seem like you have seen the property in person yet. (???) I know from my husband's and my own recent house-hunting experience that photos alone can be very deceiving. A real dumpster can be made to look nice in a photograph. Is there someone you know locally who can visit it?

If you can make the offer conditional on a building inspector's satisfactory report, that would be some protection for you.

Then I don't know what-all is happening with Air B & B rentals in this era of diminished travel due to CV-19.

Good luck with this. Let us know what happens!

Ace

I agree on the 4th from the 4th. Good catch. Definitely changes things up and makes for a much better setup to make an offer.

Your analysis makes sense that it would flow shared resources to me, but wonder why my finances don't appear to be in much good shape represented by Jupiter despite the nice Mercury sextile Mars and Moon trine Saturn combo. Any thoughts on what my 2nd house is not so great?

Thanks for for your concern amd suggestion on the inspection. Luckily, I have someone there who can inspect it and the realtor I am working with knows and invested in a few units there as well so thwy will send close up video and pictures as well of the unit. The place was completely remodeled just 2 years ago and is quite cozy so I imagine and am hopeful the wear and tear is minimal. I may waive inspection possibly if it gets into a bidding war. Crossing my fingers it won't

Does the chart show who is better poised in the negotiations? Me or the seller? The place seems a bit overpriced in my opinion.

With Covid it is a risk to invest here since tourism is a big industry to this area and I imagine more travel restrictions and self quarantine may have to revisited for travelers coming in. Perhaps this could be what the chart is speaking on the 2nd house in the chart as a slowdown in monetary gains?

Thank you. I will need the luck in these times we all are living in that's for sure!

ElenaJ

Sorry, don't want to confuse things but I would assign the 4th to the property.
The current home of the querent is not part of the question, but just whether to purchase the new property.
Had it been an alternative, of stay here or go to a new one, I would assign it the 4th from the 4th.
So, the 4th is pisces, water sign, with Neptune sitting in its house, check out the water pipes and eventual damp damage.
Seller is the 7th, Venus, in their money house, squaring Neptune, so be careful about the true value of the property, they aren't being completely on the up and up with you. Neptune is also photographs! Beware here!
You as mars with Chiron and in the property's house of income shows you hoping for an income from this property, but the seller's 2nd, ruled by mercury with mercury in the house approaching a square to you, mars, shows problems with the income and excessive outlays of money.
The 10th house is the price of the property, here ruled by mercury, approaching the square with mars, showing an excessing price.
The property itself is also Jupiter, in its fall and still retrograde, so it is an old and maybe run down property. Jupiter also rules your 2nd of income, so this could be disappointing.
You as buyer are mars/pluto and the property as 4th is Jupiter/neptune, but there is no connection between these planets, or the moon with them, it doesn't look like the sale will go through.
"I may waive inspection possibly if it gets into a bidding war."
Waybread's advice about the inspection, and the caution about purchasing based on photos, is very wise, and she has a lot of experience in this field, listen to her carefully!

Last edited:

tikana

My other half and I saw from the online listing photos a condo unit in a building which looks quite nice and updated. It will be used as a vacation rental (Airbnb). The cashflow and everything looks great upon reviewing the disclosures. We already have a pre-approval letter, but wanted to see what we can see from the chart. Hopefully, I'm not to subjective so please anyone please assist. My apologies if this is a bit short on the analysis portion as the day was spent gathering paperwork and applying for the loans with little sleep so here we go. I need to move quick though as I don't want a bidding war so not sure what I should go in with.

I am Mars in 5H. Interestingly I think this chart will hold more significance being that the horary ASC and Sun is also in the same signs as my own natal birth chart.

Price of property is ruled by Mercury 8H. Mutual reception is occurring between my sign and exaltation with Moon 10H. Moon trine Saturn in 3H. Appears that this shows the pre-approval and will eventually get the loan. Not sure if thermion placed there means it's overpriced or not. I was thinking of just going in with list price due to an overall competitive market conditions.

Property itself is Jupiter. I'm having a hard time understanding this one as the property is very updated and with Jupiter in Cap and retrograde it doesn't seem the property is very nice??? Puzzled on this. Mars square Jupiter (ruling my finances) shows not such a positive thing either. S.N. also in 2H.

Not exactly confident. I actually really like the place, but seems like this would not be a suitable for the finances. What do you guys think? Would you make on offer based on this chart?

dont buy it
A. jup is in sh*tty state - condition of the place
B. lord of 10th house the cost - (worth) - squ mars your lord (IMO you will be putting more in than getting out (fixes) it also could be HOA issue as well because of 8th house)
C. Venus the seller is hiding something from you

Last edited:

waybread

Ace, for sure I would listen to ElenaJ and Tikana, as they are much more experienced in (and better at) horary than I am.

I still think the 8th works for your finances, in that if you need a mortgage, it is a "shared resource" with the lender.

Just because a realtor is experienced and owns property in the complex, &c doesn't mean that s/he's not prioritizing making a sale over what's in your best interests. Then the 8th would also be your spouse's finances.

The place may be over-priced but you can always come in a bit under the asking price to see what happens.

Ace

Thank you so much you all!

I planned to lowball the offer. My realtor just sent over an offer to purchase contract just moments ago. I don't think I am going to sign after seeing all this.

My original analysis still confuses me. Jupiter represents the condition of the property and Jupiter not in a good condition being Rx and in its fall. The property is completely upgraded and they were not cheap from the list that was sent. Since the property was formerly old and remodeled, could Jupiter in Capricorn Rx could be interpreted as such? Thoughts?

The condo is just a couple minutes walk to the beach so maybe the place could have some moisture related issues as indicated from the delineation. I don't like the idea of the seller is hiding something clearly from the chart either. Mars does square Jupiter so does show cashflow problems. I guess my original analysis stays relevant and points to more negatives than positives.

Once again thanks all for your opinions on the chart!

Ace

Waybread, thank you for your follow up.

So far, I believe getting a loan would not be a problem since I already been preapproved and meet the criteria and have a sizable down payment prepared. IMO, I think since the chart is a mixed bag I should take a step back and look for another opportunity especially with how this condo will largely be affected by tourism. If visitors dry up, so will my potential income. Also as mentioned earlier Covid throws a monkey wrench in all this too so if the state makes some sort of travel restrictions or bans it will surely impede cashflow severely.

Yes, the realtor could be trying to make a sale, but thankfully so far been pretty good about not pushing and letting me drive questions and initiate conversations on possibly purchasing.

Last edited:

ElenaJ

"Since the property was formerly old and remodeled, could Jupiter in Capricorn Rx could be interpreted as such? Thoughts?"

Yes, definitely.

One thought, aside from horary. If you have the intention of purchasing a property for income, do go to see it in person. Your eye is the important one.
Also, keep it as close as possible to where you live, so you can keep an eye on it.
If you have to depend on an agent to handle it for you, not only does the income decrease, but the possibility of it not being handled the way you would have done increases.
Buying a property is a major investment, and a lot of money involved.
Would you really buy an auto online without seeing it and driving it? More so a house.
Good luck to you, if you have another property in mind, please let us know so we can try to help.

waybread

Ace, if we take the 4th house for the condo, then we are looking at the 4th house ruler, Jupiter, in its fall and retrograde, in your house of money. Jupiter also rules your 2nd house of money. On the other hand, the Part of Fortune in your 2nd should count for something.

If we look at money from the 4th house, the radix 5th house is ruled by a domiciled Mars. Whatever, I think there's a mixed testimony.

If you have an escape clause, like the purchase conditional on a home inspection, I don't think you're stuck if the place is not to your liking.

I'm assuming you've gone over the usual condo documents: minutes of meetings if the complex is owned by the property owners (in Canada, such complexes are called strata and are run by elected boards,) verification of the reserve fund in the eventuality of needed repairs, and due diligence on the developer if the complex is developer-owned.

Is it possible that the unit itself looks nice, but the building itself is not kept up so well?

I think if you do sign an offer now on the table, you legally have 3 days to reneg, if that's what you want to do. Or if the seller comes back with a counter-offer you can walk away at that point.

In the future, can you travel to this location and look before you offer?

Ace

"One thought, aside from horary. If you have the intention of purchasing a property for income, do go to see it in person. Your eye is the important one. Also, keep it as close as possible to where you live, so you can keep an eye on it.
If you have to depend on an agent to handle it for you, not only does the income decrease, but the possibility of it not being handled the way you would have done increases.
Buying a property is a major investment, and a lot of money involved.
Would you really buy an auto online without seeing it and driving it? More so a house.
Good luck to you, if you have another property in mind, please let us know so we can try to help"

Thank you ElenaJ for the kind words and for offering your assistance for a future property.

I am fortunate that my other half has a contact who will be able to look after the property. Typically I would not want to purchase anything sight unseen. I also agree with you about the hiring of agents. I always say if you want a job done right, try to do it as much by yourself. I don't like hiring out because I am usually having to have to manage the agent. I like to manage everything closeby or at least in the same state, but after running numbers the cashflow even with hiring out (cashflow numbers prior to Covid hitting) produces higher numbers as it's a hot area and the building itself is very sought after.

waybread - Agreed. Definitely a mixed testimony. I did consider that POF in 2H as positive and due to being in Capricorn and Rx and S.N. in 2H I feel it neutralized the beneficial effects.

There is an inspection clause so I can back out as you said. Yes, I have learned of special assessments at a previous condo and to ask about the health of the HOA and the management behind it. Thankfully, all the disclosures were already released with this particular one was able to review the overall health of the reserves and the history of increases and management changes if any. This one is managed extremely and surprisingly very well with HOAs not increasing for over a decade!

"Is it possible that the unit itself looks nice, but the building itself is not kept up so well?" The building is kept well as it can. It was built in the mid 1950s and if anything just looks dated as a sign of the times it was built.

The sellers are motivated since they plan to move upon the sale of this condo. They need to proceeds from the sale of course to make the move so making a deal is in their best interest. Ideally, I would like to travel to the location (I am familiar already with this place since I used to live in the vicinity for many years) which helps, but due to Covid and putting myself at risk being on a plane and the increase in cases overall, I am afraid to travel, therefore I am relying on the people I trust to be my eyes here. I still have not signed to execute an offer, but already spoke to the realtor that I will back out and not consider moving forward anymore.