How can an aspect be turned into a square if the signs are compatible?

For instance, My Mars is square Sun and square Saturn.

Yet Sun is Cancer, Mars is Taurus, Saturn is Capricorn.

All 3 are compatible signs? especially Taurus - Capricorn.

EDIT, except opposition to Capricorn from Cancer.

Last edited:

Chrysalis

Your mars is trine saturn not square saturn. Your sun is square mars as these are 3 signs apart and are of different elements.

So your mars is compatible with your saturn, its just your sun that's at odds with mars/saturn.

Last edited:
Your mars is trine saturn not square saturn. Your sun is square mars as these are 3 signs apart and are of different elements.

Here is the chart, at least in this chart Mars is square Saturn, and it is what is baffling me, the 3 signs apart for the Sun makes sense so thank you for that, so that answers why Saturn is also square.

astro_2gw_c_e.37463.29477.png

Chrysalis

If mars was in Aries it would be square saturn, here its not its in the same element as saturn, its an easy aspect here/trine.

Chrysalis

If your basing your judgement on the grid, mars has already separated from saturn 11 degrees ago...where was mars 11 degrees ago before you was born ? In Aries.

For some reason the 11 degrees seperation is still showing up on the grid.

Best to not use the grid really.

*Little tip, any planets in same element is a trine*

If your basing your judgement on the grid, mars has already separated from saturn 11 degrees ago...where was mars 11 degrees ago before you was born ? In Aries.

For some reason the 11 degrees seperation is still showing up on the grid.

Best to not use the grid really.

This is a 125% orb representation of my chart which shows ALL aspects which means the not so strong ones with a large orb, such as Moon conjunct Mars which is exactly 10 degree's, so on the very verge of not being conjunct, Mars opposite Pluto, Saturn square Mars and Neptune opposite Jupiter and Sun also fall into this.

Chrysalis

Can you now see where this confusion has come from ? As yes they are compatible signs, you've just got the aspect wrong due to looking at the grid....you don't need to use the grid.

Today you can learn your major aspects :biggrin:...

Trine = same element.
Squares = 3 signs apart of different elements.
Sextiles = 2 signs apart
Conjunction = same sign
Opposition = opposite ends.

Quincunx = 8 signs apart.

Can you now see where this confusion has come from ? As yes they are compatible signs, you've just got the aspect wrong due to looking at the grid....you don't need to use the grid.

Today you can learn your major aspects :biggrin:...

Trine = same element.
Squares = 3 signs apart of different elements.
Sextiles = 2 signs apart
Conjunction = same sign
Opposition = opposite ends.

Quincunx = 8 signs apart.

Got it, thank you! :)

Chrysalis

You do have an out of sect moon/saturn in this chart though, you have a night chart where the moon functions more effectively above the horizon not below, and for saturn at night he functions more effectively below, they are both in their opposites, so maybe this brings the effects of a square, even though you have a trine.

Something you could maybe look into.

So if i read this right, Moon is weakened by being out of sect, Mars is strengthened by being in sect, Venus is also strengthened?

Saturn is weakened by being out of sect?

Is there any type of actual documented descriptions for signs and planets in different sects? and how does that play out for the individual?

Nocturnal makes sense since my leading planet strength is the Moon by pullen at least, and is the chart ruler which aspects Mars as a conjunction making that conjunction the leading thing in the chart.

Hmm Mercury in domicile house.. but in a unfortunate house (if we go by traditional astro) Don't really know how Mercury can be in a "bad" house when that house is ruled by Mercury (Virgo).

Moon is weakened but in exaltation and also in home house of Taurus, which get's a dose of Mars as it's coloured energy which is debilitated but strengthened by sect and is also in home house by sign.

Honestly it would seem to me that Moon and Mars influence each other which is how that aspect works anyway, Mars and Moon here seem to balance actually... looking at it, Mars is in an uncomfortable sign, but strengthened, Moon is exalted but weakened by sect, but also the chart ruler. Gives both a much needed kick in the butt so to speak. :cool:

Saturn is out of sect but in Capricorn which is domicile by sign (ruler).

Venus is sextiled by Mars which are both in strength by sect.

I don't know, seems to play out just fine TBH from what i am understanding thus far, i will read more and dig for more information.

Reading this actually talks well of the 6th house but is vedic.

https://www.astroved.com/blogs/about-the-sixth-house

I agree to the healing ability of the 6th house.

Or by Cafe Astro..

https://cafeastrology.com/natal/mercuryinhouses.html

"Mercury in the 6th House

You are a person who thinks of all the details that others often forget. Your mind is almost always turned “on” which can make you a little nervous. You are excellent at sorting things out, organizing, and making lists and associations. With your attention to the details and the mechanics, however, you might miss the bigger point! You are exceptionally helpful and others can count on you for making arrangements, researching, and offering advice. You truly love to feel useful. You might have some traits of a hypochondriac, as you notice all of the little aches and pains that others might overlook. Nervous tension could be at the root of many of your health complaints. You might frequently have to deal with duplicitous co-workers. Many of you are good at crafts, mechanics, or anything that requires good manual dexterity."

Last edited:

Flapjacks

Right okay i see, but regardless, your mars is trine your saturn.

There was some misunderstanding with this example, but is there an answer to the question of what it means to have a square by degree but in "compatible" signs? Is the aspect disregarded as too wide an orb, or is it interpreted as part of the energy of the square?

I have Sun/Moon opposition square Pluto in Cancer/Capricorn and Scorpio, due to Sun/Moon in late degrees of the signs and Pluto in early degrees:

Sun 28°16'50" Cancer
Moon 26°49'47" Capricorn
Pluto 4°32'50" Scorpio

Chrysalis

There was some misunderstanding with this example, but is there an answer to the question of what it means to have a square by degree but in "compatible" signs? Is the aspect disregarded as too wide an orb, or is it interpreted as part of the energy of the square?

I have Sun/Moon opposition square Pluto in Cancer/Capricorn and Scorpio, due to Sun/Moon in late degrees of the signs and Pluto in early degrees:

Sun 28°16'50" Cancer
Moon 26°49'47" Capricorn
Pluto 4°32'50" Scorpio

In OP's chart, its a separating degree that's still showing in the grid, but the grids not necessary to be used.
Mars was square saturn when mars was in Aries, in the chart mars is now in 2 degrees into Taurus....Taurus/Cap signs are trine.

Mars has already separated by 11 degrees from the square with saturn, so i doubt that energy is still following through, if the separation was still in orb then id suppose it could still have some effect, even if then in compatible signs.

Flapjacks

In OP's chart, its a separating degree that's still showing in the grid, but the grids not necessary to be used.
Mars was square saturn when mars was in Aries, in the chart mars is now in 2 degrees into Taurus....Taurus/Cap signs are trine.

Mars has already separated by 11 degrees from the square with saturn, so i doubt that energy is still following through, if the separation was still in orb then id suppose it could still have some effect, even if then in compatible signs.

What orb do you use?

Some Google to get the discussion going: http://astrofix.net/2011/01/16/out-of-sign-aspects/

Chrysalis

What orb do you use?

Some Google to get the discussion going: http://astrofix.net/2011/01/16/out-of-sign-aspects/

Bearing in mind this is what i use for horary, not sure if this is the same for natal too...

The orbs of the planets i use are Sun (15 degrees), moon (12 degrees), saturn/jupiter (9 degrees), mars (8 degrees), venus/mercury (7 degrees).

So for example with saturn as 9 degrees and mars as 8 degrees, this is... 9 + 8 / 2 = 8.5 or 8 degrees 30 mins.

So when they are separated by 8 degrees and 30 mins, they would be considered out of square/orb.

mdinaz

Planets can be square by degree but in "compatible" signs. You have to take that into account in your interpretation. Moon at 1 degree Aries and Sun at 28 degrees Gemini are still square, even if the elements are compatible. However with Sun so close to Cancer, the incoming sign will exert an influence over that planet. I consider any planet in the last degree or degree and a half of a sign to be "chaotic", where it exhibits parts of each sign and not necessarily consistently or exactly. I know in Vedic aspects are often considered by sign regardless of degree. For personal planets like Sun-Moon-Merc-Venus-Mars I'll use an orb up to 7 or 8 degrees - some astrologers go up to 10. For outer planets to a personal planet I'll typically go up to 5 for major aspects. For outer to outer a couple degrees is enough, their influence is more generational and not as personal. For asteroids and other points to personal planets I'll go 5, to outer planets a degree or so or not at all. For minor aspects a degree or degree and a half max. Same for transits. It varies by astrologer, you use what works for you.