What's this aspect called?

Osamenor

Staff member
If two planets are in opposition and a third planet trines one of them and sextiles the other, is there a name for that configuration? If so, what is it?

waybread

I'm not familiar with a name for it, but the middle planet can be really helpful in resolving the stress of the opposition.

Osamenor

Staff member
I'm not familiar with a name for it, but the middle planet can be really helpful in resolving the stress of the opposition.

And how does that differ from a t-square?

I've learned something about t-squares because I have a couple in my chart--or rather, one definitive t-square and one extremely loose t-square, so loose that whether or not it actually is a t-square depends on which astrologer is defining it. I don't have any half kites/Single Ambivalence Figures, but I've been seeing some charts on here that do, and it's helpful if I know what to tell their owners, should discussion of that aspect come up.

waybread

In a T-square, 2 planets oppose one another, and both are squared by a 3rd planet. This is considered to be a stressful formation.

In the configuration you've described, the 3rd planet sextiles one of the opposing planets and trines the other one. Trines and sextiles are generally the easier, more pleasant aspects in the horoscope.

Osamenor

Staff member
In a T-square, 2 planets oppose one another, and both are squared by a 3rd planet. This is considered to be a stressful formation.

In the configuration you've described, the 3rd planet sextiles one of the opposing planets and trines the other one. Trines and sextiles are generally the easier, more pleasant aspects in the horoscope.

Musing... I'm still trying to incorporate the difference between "stressful" and "pleasant" in terms of aspects and formations. My understanding is that stressful formations are "stressful" because they make the planets involved work harder to express themselves, while "pleasant" formations make the planetary expressions work without a hitch. But in many charts, there's a planet or two or more that's involved in at least one stressful aspect and at least one pleasant aspect simultaneously. So... that planet both works to express itself and gets a free ride?

Opposition is one of the hard aspects, so planets in opposition have to work. T-squares and half kites are both ways of resolving the opposition, through the focal planet and its sign, correct? So how are the "resolutions" different?

wilsontc

Staff member
Easy Opposition, to Osamenor

Osamenor,

You said:
If two planets are in opposition and a third planet trines one of them and sextiles the other, is there a name for that configuration? If so, what is it?

I've seen this called an "Easy Opposition".

Easily,

Tim

Ottobeuren

Hello Osamenor!

That configuration is called 'Point of Thales'.

The 180˚ is the stress factor with a person you're dealing with. The 120˚ is the easy flowing part that eases the tension. And the 60˚ gives the opportunity to solve the problem.

Hope that helps!

Osamenor

Staff member
The 180˚ is the stress factor with a person you're dealing with.
With a person? This is natal astrology I'm talking about, not synastry or transits. Planets in your natal chart are simply parts of your own psyche, are they not?
The 120˚ is the easy flowing part that eases the tension. And the 60˚ gives the opportunity to solve the problem.

Hope that helps!

So can you think of any specific examples? Either from real people who have that aspect and have responded to it x way, or something hypothetical... for instance, Jane has the moon in Aquarius opposite the sun in Leo, and Mars in Sagittarius trines her sun and sextiles her moon... what might that mean for her?

I just discovered on a closer look at my own chart that I have that aspect! I also have lots of squares and trines, and almost every planet involved in more than one ptolemaic aspect (some with loose orbs, but still), so that one hid from me for a while. I have my sun trine to the IC and sextile the MC... and planets conjunct those points as well. Jupiter is conjunct my IC and trine to my sun, and in opposition with Uranus, which is conjunct my MC... and Uranus is also in sextile with my sun if the orb of sextile is extended to 7 degrees. Plus, Uranus/MC and Jupiter/IC are points on a t-square, with Saturn squaring them both. So it looks like I have the easy opposition right along with... would you call a t-square a hard opposition?

Ottobeuren

Your original question: What's this aspect called? I've answered that precisely! It is called 'Point of Thales'!

And I given you the meaning of the question. Sorry for my poor english, it's not my native language, that is the best I can tell you!

And the 'Point of Thales' is exactly as I described it, I didn't mention Natal or Synastry... or whatever.

Osamenor

Staff member
Your original question: What's this aspect called? I've answered that precisely! It is called 'Point of Thales'!

And I given you the meaning of the question. Sorry for my poor english, it's not my native language, that is the best I can tell you!

And the 'Point of Thales' is exactly as I described it, I didn't mention Natal or Synastry... or whatever.

Indeed, you answered my question. My follow-up questions in that last post aren't necessarily for you personally, but for anyone reading this thread who has an idea and wishes to give it. I just quoted your post because that was what led me to those questions. Thanks for answering!

waybread

I don't think it is very helpful to think of planets as (a) having difficulty expressing themselves, or (b) getting a free ride.

You can imagine a situation like Mars in Aries opposing Venus in Libra. Both planets will be strong because they are in the signs they rule (I. e., domiciled.)

So rather, think of opposing planets like two people who oppose one another's interests. They can see-saw between having one or the other dominate at different times, or they can develop a relationship where one person's interests are always subordinated to the dominant partner's; or they can develop a compromise that both parties can live with.

A key word for sextile is "excitement" because it involves the tension of the two-series with the flow of the three-series.

A trine is a powerful aspect, usually indicating a positive, constructive flow of energy between two planets. This isn't a "free ride," but a strong energy on its own.