Psychological types the 4 elements

Part 1 Liz Greene relating.

[deleted copyrighted content posted without owner's permission - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

inhuman_meow

Then the sanguine might sleep to escape from thought or take drugs that enhance thought?

Charmvirgo, I would think that the Sanguine would have sex, or go hang out somewhere. Something to do with people and something to take their minds off of the problem. They seem to be the most social and light-hearted and people-oriented of the four humours. I'm not sure if that necessarily fits in with the astrological correlation of air, but I'm going from what I've read about Sanguine type. And I'd think Choleric would work out or something. I would think something physical. Maybe I'm missing the point, lol. :p

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

These were the melancholic (earthy), the phlegmatic (watery), the sanguine (airy) and the choleric (fiery). George Herbert, in one of his lighter moods, wrote in 1640: The Choleric drinks, the Melancholic eats. the Phlegmatic sleeps.?, What the Sanguine does is left to the imagination, but as he is "ethereal" or airy, we may assume that he probably philosophizes.

Thank you for posting this article, Miss Saturn, and thank you for pointing this quote out, charmvirgo ;)

Although this quote was written in "one of his lighter moods," I have found these associations to be eerily true in my family. Before my mother knew anything about astrology, she always referred to my brother as the "eater" and me as the "drinker" due to our individual preferences for solid food or liquid. Neither of our natal charts are extremely unbalanced, yet if you disregard the Ascendant, Midheaven, the North Node, and Chiron, my brother's emphasis is primarily on earth (melancholic), followed by fire (choleric), water (phlegmatic), and Air (sanguine). His Sun and Moon are both located in earth (melancholic) signs, and his preference has always been food. I've since determined this to be caused primarily by his second house Taurus Sun and highly dignifiied Jupiter in Pisces conjunct his Pisces Ascendant, yet I still find the connection between melancholic signs and eating amusing.

I enjoy food as well, yet I could easily drink all of my meals. I cannot leave the house without a water bottle, and if I did an analysis of the source of my calories, I'm certain that at least a quarter would come from liquid--probably more. My weakness is juice--orange juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, any kind of juice. Most of my meals are soups.

That individuals of choleric temperament would have natural attraction to liquid makes perfect sense to me; liquid (water) is needed to "cool our engines" and keep choleric types from imploding.

The association of melancholic temperaments with eating also makes sense to me, since food is grown from the earth.

Arian Maverick

gaer

Arian Maverick said:
I enjoy food as well, yet I could easily drink all of my meals. I cannot leave the house without a water bottle, and if I did an analysis of the source of my calories, I'm certain that at least a quarter would come from liquid--probably more. My weakness is juice--orange juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, any kind of juice. Most of my meals are soups.
Could this possibly have anything to do with impatience, not likely to stop?

I have the same "weakness", though it's never caused any problem regarding weight. Eating annoys me. It stops my hands, stops me from doing countless things that are more important to me. With a glass of any liquid, I can keep it by my side, take a sip here and there without stopping anything.

And I have never understood how people can stand to sit around a table eating for HOURS. In the rare circumstance that I'm in the company of people who are eating who are also talking about things that are fascinating to me, then I don't mind sitting at a table. But for me, eating is never a purpose.

Some people live to eat, others eat to live. I eat to live. :)

Arian Maverick

He most likely meant drink, as in getting drunk.. And eat as in over-eat..

I know this, Junke, but I prefer creating my own alternative interpretation since he didn't specify that alcohol was involved.

Could this possibly have anything to do with impatience, not likely to stop?

Yes, I believe so, gaer, although I have been known to bring all sorts of meals downstairs with me so that I didn't have to leave my computer station :rolleyes:

Although drinking while working is easier, eating soup while typing can be difficult; I'd rather eat a sandwich of some kind in this situation.

We'd better change the topic before members--including myself--begin raiding their refrigerators! :D

Arian Maverick

gaer

Arian Maverick said:
We'd better change the topic before members--including myself--begin raiding their refrigerators! :D

Arian Maverick

True, although I have to mention that if I don't want to stop, I'm also a big "sandwich" eater. :)

I suppose a bigger question is figuring out how the four temperaments, or the four elements, are related to not wanting to stop what we are busy doing! ;)

Gaer

tsquare

I couldn't help it, but don't have much time.

Too much of the fire element does make one thirsty.
Fire is also a constructive element.
There are two poles to each element.
What precedes the 4 main elements is akasa, all of the elements are depedent upon the other for their mutual existance.
each has positive and negative attributes.
Bardon covers this well in his first book in a clear way.
He does not discuss astrology much, though mentioning the desire to write a book on astro., as far as I know he never finished it or started it.
His 360 heads of the zone girding the earth is interesting though, I posted those earlier, they have often been compared to the sabian symbols by bardon fans.

not only is the astral body made up of the element's, so is the physical...they both effect one another...there are other influences as well.

Temperace is changeable at will by those who know how.
Influences can be overridden, being influences are creations.
Debate does and has gone on concerning should a person change theirselves. It's a choice that concerns knowledge of how(wisdom is valuable as well). The debate came about with the mention of we wouldn't have Einsteins and such which may be partially true if not for their imbalances and individual natures created for them to deal with, pushing them down respective paths. Yet it should be up to each to choose.
Too much of one element can bring about illness.
Some drugs and herbs are ways of loading up on a respective element.
There are better ways.
Walking arround with only some elements loaded for an extended period of time can damage the body.
The only way to removes some herbs and drugs from the body is through forms of purification...which isn't alot of fun.

The zodaic seems to effect the astral body, to which total effect I do not understand, but elements can be balanced in the body either through the astral or the physical....which in my experience, changes much.
Including personality and temperment.

Bardon covers alot of key words for the temperments in his book Initiation into Hermetics, in both their possitive and negtive forms and dispells alot of myth, which is free online PDF style. He also speaks of the beings of the elements and the respective spheres of the elements.

Of course the subject nature is magic, or magiK....whatever....
but it covers the 4 elements and personal psychology well in it's chapters, as well as a somewhat light attempt at showing how a self anylisis is done putting the respective element charectoristics one knows for themselves, by self inspection, into respective chatagories of the elements.
It is fairly clean compared to alot of stuff out there on the same subject....some of the stuff and people are crazy as hell concerining the subject......it can be messy...

Stay away from cults.:68:
I like bardons initial phylosophy he covers in his book concerning God and all that as well....he also mentions to keep an eye out for bull...
I'm being very brief, this in not a full review, the book is very easy to find, and fairly easy to read, compared to much it is very easy to read.
He seems alright to me, and most decent people I meet tend to share much of his phylosophy and views on a personal self evident level as well anyhow, so many may naturally like it.

I have an inborn fear of groups.

Tsquare

The changing of your self, depending on the degree, can be a little bit like playing god, but one is quick to recognise we are all gods unto ourselves to some degree. It;s like playing with nature, but often nature has no problem and enjoys cooperation.....their is such thing as harmony. Harmony is balance.** Power missused is power out of ballance........using elements or beings for negative ends always bites one back in the end...the Horror of it is that much of that happens by accident anyhow...there are alot of predetermined effects of a spiritual nature just going about one as they look through their non spiritual lenses in their respective plane of sensation...much happens in this world because of ignorance.....that is only being cruel to ignorance...everone deserves love even the ignorant(thats really really Fing hard sometimes)....it is simply not knowing the effects one creates or potential of action, which is somewhat a comfterable state.....truth can be horifying when one sees something they were oblivious to before.......it's never easy.
**To which their is no supprise that Libra is an air sign, and the Air is the mediating influence of the water and fire elements, with the prpose of keeping them in balance.

Tsquare
Very busy.

I posted this article while I was a little bit drunk last night :D it's been in my wordpad for a while . Didn't think anyone would be too interested.

Here is part 2

[deleted copyrighted content posted without owner's permission - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: