Quindeciles

Shokk

This is a rather interesting aspect that I've recently learned about but haven't been able to find much information on it in more specific terms.
A quindecile is a 165 degree aspect and is given connotation of obsession and compulsive action.

Natally I have jupiter quindecile Venus and my Midheaven, the latter two being semisextile by the nature of the aspect, creating a heretofore unnamed (to my knowledge) aspect pattern.

Anyway, I'd just like to see if anybody here happens to have experiences with this aspect and can impart some information regarding it.

A few resources which I've run across, but are lacking for my tastes:
http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/article.php?id=109
http://holisticastrologer.blogspot.com/2008/03/exploring-quindecile-aspect.html

waybread

You might try a book by Ricki Reeves, The Quindecile. Probably available via an Internet bookseller. She was a student of Noel Tyl, and writes in a popular astrology style. Might be lacking for your tastes, also!

Supposedly the Qd is an obsessive aspect. I wouldn't say it is the only one. I think Pluto generates obsession, as does the square.

amzolt

Shokk said:
This is a rather interesting aspect that I've recently learned about but haven't been able to find much information on it in more specific terms.
A quindecile is a 165 degree aspect and is given connotation of obsession and compulsive action.

Anyway, I'd just like to see if anybody here happens to have experiences with this aspect and can impart some information regarding it.

I looked at your resources and learned very little...

I've been an astrologer (who studies obsessively ;) ) for over 40 years and never heard of it (read Noel Tyl's books, too)

This supposed aspect [though, in the broadest terms, any distance between two chart factors is an "aspect"] is not derived from the decile (36 degrees). I suppose the quin- means 5x but 5x36=180. So... it isn't derived from the aspects that are produced from integral number division of the whole cycle...

Anyone can pick any number of degrees and attribute any qualities they wish. This doesn't mean the aspect is useful.

If you'd like to read an excellent article on the generally accepted aspect cycle check out this on Khaldea.

pwadm

Staff member
http://www.noeltyl.com/techniques/990801.html
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]"Quin-deh-chee'-leh" is the Latinate word for fifteen, referring to the fifteen-degree increments of all aspects in the 24th harmonic (360/24=15: 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, 135, 150, 165, 180. Of these aspects, all but the 105 and 165 are already covered (named) by existing aspect references. Research showed the 105 to be unreliable, inconclusive, insignificant, and boring; research showed conclusively, adamantly, that the 165 is an aspect of unrelenting moitvation, obsession, determination, upheaval, disruption, even separation. I have studied the quindecile now in some 900-1,000 cases.[/FONT]
So the quindecile is actually minor than a minor aspect, like a sub-minor aspect!

As a Virgo, I think I can do better than this, so I'm considering dividing the 360 degrees circle into 0.5 degrees segments and name them a hemiunit aspect, with a 5 minutes orb allowed in such aspects. :eek:

Which demonstrates that in astrology, the fractal theory can be applied to aspects, one can go as far as one pleases.

pwadm

Staff member
I also suggest (this time seriously), investigating aspects that are IRREGULAR, such as the golden ratio aspect, that is an aspect that is in golden ratio to 360: 137.5 degrees. (two planets located 137.5 degrees apart divide the circle into two segments of 137.5 and 222.5 degrees that are in golden ratio).

You may also invent other aspects, based on any other number you want (PI aspect, square root of 2 aspect, you name it), they ALL hold some meaning, you just have to find it which is it !

amzolt

Radu said:
http://www.noeltyl.com/techniques/990801.html
"...15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, 135, 150, 165, 180. Of these aspects, all but the 105 and 165 are already covered (named) by existing aspect references." ~ Tyl

Well, Radu, I wish you luck with the division into half-degrees... ;)

In a post following the one I'm responding to, you agree that any number of degrees between two factors is an "aspect", we just have to find the meaning...

I still question Tyl's exactitude when he says, "...all but the 105 and 165 are already covered (named) by existing aspect references."

For the 75, he seems to think it's "covered" by the Quintle (72) and is the 105 "covered" by BiSeptile (102.86) or TriDecile (108)??

Sloppy work, eh? Since these aspects demand tighter orbs than the traditional Majors, maybe he's relying on orb-coverage for the 75; but, the 105 is smack in the middle of two "reliable" and tested aspects--I think we're dealing with a "smearing"-orb effect, eh? :60:

freedomlover

amzolt said:
Well, Radu, I wish you luck with the division into half-degrees... ;)

In a post following the one I'm responding to, you agree that any number of degrees between two factors is an "aspect", we just have to find the meaning...

I still question Tyl's exactitude when he says, "...all but the 105 and 165 are already covered (named) by existing aspect references."

For the 75, he seems to think it's "covered" by the Quintle (72) and is the 105 "covered" by BiSeptile (102.86) or TriDecile (108)??

Sloppy work, eh? Since these aspects demand tighter orbs than the traditional Majors, maybe he's relying on orb-coverage for the 75; but, the 105 is smack in the middle of two "reliable" and tested aspects--I think we're dealing with a "smearing"-orb effect, eh? :60:
My general rule-of-thumb is the more minor the aspect, the more exact the orb. Personally, I wouldn't allow more than a 1 degree orb at most for these very minor aspects - maybe 2 degrees for the quintile.

I do remember reading about the quindecile somewhere on the net a few months ago, and trying it out in some charts. I found it to be descriptive - but only if exactly to the degree. There's just absolutely no room for leeway with such a minor aspect.

My 2 cents anyway.......:cool:

Last edited:

waybread

Radu said:
I also suggest (this time seriously), investigating aspects that are IRREGULAR, such as the golden ratio aspect, that is an aspect that is in golden ratio to 360: 137.5 degrees. (two planets located 137.5 degrees apart divide the circle into two segments of 137.5 and 222.5 degrees that are in golden ratio).

You may also invent other aspects, based on any other number you want (PI aspect, square root of 2 aspect, you name it), they ALL hold some meaning, you just have to find it which is it !

Radu, can you say more about the golden ratio? It is new to me.

I agree about the narrow orbs for minor aspects. For sure in the area between 144 degrees through 154 degrees, which contains the bi-quintile, quincunx and tri-septile. They bump into one another if wide aspects are used.

I don't have a problem with fractional degrees. They are found in a lot of Vedic harmonic charts, and notably in the use of dwads (divisions of signs into 2.5 degrees to equal 30 degrees.) I don't think a lot of people resonate to septiles, but some do (cf. John Addey, and Harding and Harvey's book on harmonics/midpoints/astro*carto*graphy. 7 never divides completely into 360 degrees.

I think several factors can cause jealousy or obssession in a chart, notably Scorpio and Pluto. But if someone were concerned about these personal qualities, the quindecile should be worth a peek.

Shokk

Well, the golden ratio can be found a number of ways, If I recall correctly it is equal to (1+square root of 5)/2. The Golden ratio basically is used to define things that are "in golden ratio" with one another. So the number 1 is in golden ratio to 1.618 (which is the number to which the above equation approxiamtes).
The ratio itself comes from the Fibonacci sequence, which goes in the pattern of 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34...etc. where a given term in the sequence is equal to the sum of the two terms before it.
The Golden ratio has become closely associated with aesthetics and beauty.
A much better explanation of the concept:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Interestingly, the retrograde periods of venus occur 5 times over 8 years (notice also that 5 and 8 are the 4th and 5th terms of the fibonacci sequence, respectively)which creates a pentagram shape about the zodiac, and pentagrams inherently exhibit sections in golden proportion, as well as golden triangles and gnomons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_triangle_(mathematics)

waybread

Thanks, Shokk--very helpful. I think Erin Sullivan talks about the Venus retrograde pentagram in one of her books, and I am aware of some of the esoteric meanings of "fiveness" but I am unclear as to how one would use this in astrology.

In the meantime I would view the quindecile as suggestive but needing further study. I can't fathom, for example, why Tyl and Reeves feel it is so important, yet 105 degrees of separation should be a big ho-hum.

freedomlover

The quindecile, or 165-degree aspect, termed as “the separation aspect” by German astrologer Thomas Ring (1892–1983) denotes disruption and upheaval which divorce the individual from the balance of his or her life. Noel Tyl rediscovered this aspect while researching the horoscope of Leonardo da Vinci and after extensive research confirmed it as a prominent indicator of obsession/compulsion in response to upset and trauma in life.

north node
Planets quindecile North Node may suggest the life purpose; a thrust into public recognition and renown; or a prominent maternal relationship.
  1. Planetary dynamics involved can actually define one’s “life purpose” (i.e. John F. Kennedy—Saturn quindecile North Node).
  2. Recognition and renown can be literally “thrust” upon the individual and it can be suggestive of a life that is somehow destined to be in the limelight (i.e. Jeffrey Dahmer—Mars quindecile North Node).
  3. The impact of the relationship with the mother may be a primary factor in the molding of character, demeanor, values, and ability to cope or not cope with life (i.e. John F. Kennedy, Jr.—Moon quindecile North Node).
I found this very interesting. I have Neptune in Scorpio cusp of 10th/11th quindecile ( within 1 degree) of my North Node in Gemini/5th. Somehow I see this as the sexual abuse beginning at age 3 that seems to throw a monkey wrench into everything I've ever tried to do. It definitely "divorced me from the balance of my life" - good description! Does anybody else have any other interpretation for this configuration in my chart?

Thanks for your informative reply. I have 3 exact quindecile aspects in my chart (165 degrees), newly discovered so still in the process of figuring out what they mean
1.Pluto quindecile the North Node
2. Mars quindecile the Moon
3. Saturn quindecile the Moon
Mars and Saturn are semi-sextile therefore their midpoint opposes the Moon.
In regards to the Pluto quindecile the North Node, Pluto is in Virgo in the 7th and NN is in Pisces in the first. I had an abusive marriage when I was very young and although I have had relationships since, I have never remarried.