Houses on the outer wheel, please help me understand

I've been looking at my lunar returns to time things with my solar return. On the app astromatrix it says this month my moon is in the 7th house but on astroseek.com it says it's in the 6th house. I couldn't figure it out for awhile lol. So for lunar returns my moon will always be in the 6th house duh! So I should be going by astromatrix saying it's in the 7th house? I'm trying to time the next time I'd meet someone so the 6th or 7th house will tell me different things obviously. I've wanted to know for a while with any chart in general, the significance of planets in the houses on the outer wheel, the "not natal" houses. For instance if I have no planets in the 7th house for my solar return chart but there are some in the outer wheels does that count? I also wanted to know are SR aspects to SR aspects as important as the ones aspecting natal planets? Because the app shows me those and on the web it shows me SR to natal aspects. Thank you for any feedback you can give me.

IleneK

Premium Member
It might be very helpful to see the two charts with the varying information about the Moon placement, as well as a reference to answer your other questions.

Osamenor

Staff member
I've been looking at my lunar returns to time things with my solar return. On the app astromatrix it says this month my moon is in the 7th house but on astroseek.com it says it's in the 6th house. I couldn't figure it out for awhile lol. So for lunar returns my moon will always be in the 6th house duh!
Only if you mean your natal houses and your natal moon is in the sixth. If you're talking about the lunar return houses, which one of those your moon is in will vary month to month.

Assuming both apps are talking about the same kind of house - either both of them mean the LR house or both of them mean the natal house - they may be using different house systems, or they may be counting a planet close to the cusp differently. If your moon is in the same sign as the descendant, it's in the seventh house whole sign, but if it's on the sixth house side of the cusp, all systems other than whole sign will put it in the sixth.

If your moon is on the sixth house side but very close to the descendant, some programs will call it a seventh house placement, even if they're not using whole sign. Others might call it sixth.

Without seeing the actual chart, it's also possible that you're looking at two different sets of houses: the lunar return houses on one app and the natal houses on the other. You might have your moon in the natal sixth house but lunar return seventh house, or vice versa.

I've wanted to know for a while with any chart in general, the significance of planets in the houses on the outer wheel, the "not natal" houses. For instance if I have no planets in the 7th house for my solar return chart but there are some in the outer wheels does that count? I also wanted to know are SR aspects to SR aspects as important as the ones aspecting natal planets? Because the app shows me those and on the web it shows me SR to natal aspects. Thank you for any feedback you can give me.
The houses in the outer wheel are the lunar return houses (if it's a lunar return chart) or the solar return houses (if it's a solar return chart). Your natal houses are where the houses fell at your moment of birth. The return houses are where the houses fall at the moment of the lunar or solar return.

The return houses are highly relevant in interpreting the return chart. So are the natal houses. If you have a planet that's in, say, your sixth natal house and your fourth return house, there's probably a fourth house theme going on with that planet, but it shows up in the sixth house component of a fourth house topic: perhaps there's a focus right now on taking care of home, duties to family, something like that. For a lunar return, it's usually a brief, fleeting focus - we're just looking at the underlying theme of the month - while for a solar return, it's more likely to be one of the things that's up for you this year.

SR to natal aspects are also highly relevant, and an essential part of interpreting the chart. You really can't interpret a return chart on its own. It only works in interaction with the natal.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't think to attach them. Thank you guys for your replies I appreciate it :) I know the aspects to the natal are important but I just wasn't sure about LR to LR or SR to SR because Astromatrix only shows those aspects in the descriptions (I included the screenshot of that as well)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210903-155026_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-155026_Chrome.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20210903-155131_AstroMatrix.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-155131_AstroMatrix.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20210903-160259_AstroMatrix.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-160259_AstroMatrix.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 46

JUPITERASC

Sorry I didn't think to attach them. Thank you guys for your replies I appreciate it :)

I know the aspects to the natal are important
natal is important because of natal promise :smile:

i.e.
even if amazing LR or SR

UNLESS
the natal promise is there
nothing materialises

but I just wasn't sure about LR to LR or SR to SR

because Astromatrix only shows those aspects in the descriptions
(I included the screenshot of that as well)

Osamenor

Staff member
Only the Astroseek chart shows your both your lunar return houses and your natal ones. The Astromatrix one just shows one set of houses, and it doesn't match either set of houses in the Astroseek chart. Did you use the same reference place for both charts?

To make matters even more confusing, the Astromatrix chart puts your lunar return placements on the inner wheel and your natal placements on the outside. The norm is to do it the other way around, as Astroseek does: natal on the inside, return on the outside.

According to the Astroseek chart, your natal moon is in the sixth house but the same sign as the descendant, making it seventh house whole sign. It's not that close to the cusp, so the only way it can be counted as a seventh house placement is if whole sign houses are used. The LR houses are entirely different. In this month's lunar return houses, your moon is neither in the sixth nor the seventh.

I don't know which set of houses Astromatrix is using - it doesn't match your natal houses and it's entirely different from the lunar return houses your Astroseek chart shows - but in that chart, your moon is in the seventh. Whole sign would put it in the eighth, but it doesn't look like it's drawn in whole sign.

Edited to add: On a closer look, the Astromatrix houses may match the lunar return houses Astroseek shows. I can't tell for sure, though, because the print identifying the LR angles in the Astroseek chart is so tiny that I can't read it, so I can't tell which angle is which, and the rest of the LR house cusps aren't discernible at all.

Last edited: