Modern Astrology IS "Traditional"

david starling

Those obsessed with keeping Saturn as the outermost astrological planet, and obsessed with a taboo on even mentioning any planet past Saturn on the Traditional board, are also obsessed with believing that any defense of Modern Astrology is an attack on Traditional Astrology. :biggrin:

JUPITERASC

Those obsessed with keeping Saturn as the outermost astrological planet,
and obsessed with a taboo on even mentioning any planet past Saturn on the Traditional board
are also obsessed with believing that any defense of Modern Astrology
is an attack on Traditional Astrology. :biggrin:
Siriusly mon ami compadre
you yourself claim that Modern Astrology IS "Traditional" :smile:

david starling

Siriusly mon ami compadre
you yourself claim that Modern Astrology IS "Traditional" :smile:

Plumbers use the name "nipple" for a short piece of pipe used to connect plumbing fittings together. Astrologers use the word "Traditional" to describe one version of Western Astrology that was practiced within one certain time-period. i would certainly hope that both plumbers and astrologers realize the difference between the narrow use of a word within a specific context, and the broader meaning of that same word!

waybread

Okay, maybe I should have made this clear earlier, but when I compare the different traditions I usually only talk about natal astrology. And I agree with your point that there's more to modern astrology than is mostly talked about here and especially more to than what is usually practiced here on the forum. When I first learned (modern) astrology, the table of essential dignities was actually a part of it. So I think most who criticize modern astrology aren't really aware of how close to traditional astrology it still was a hundred years ago or so. I am getting the impression that when neo-trads talk about modern astrology they may actually just have the kind of modern astrology in mind that is predominantly practiced here on the forum, i.e. heavily relying on aspects and mostly just using transits as predictive technique. And that kind of practice is indeed questionable. But it is by no means representative of what modern astrology is actually about.

Muchacho, you're a gentleman and a scholar. :cool:

waybread

I probably agree with the vast majority of what post on modern astrology.

It's just that I prefer to work with the sidereal zodiac. The tropical zodiac doesn't work for me (except for horary I still use it but am about to switch there as well). IMO, it is the rise of tropical astrology that called for new innovations and a lot of new rules of delineation because as the two zodiacs started drifting more and more apart, sticking with the old rules and the new zodiac just wouldn't do it anymore in terms of accuracy. I see something similar happening with the rise of modern astrology and the use of all the numerous new data points. If you would delineate a chart according to traditional rules, you wouldn't really miss those extra data points.

If you work with the sidereal zodiac (and Vedic) that's fine by me. My only quibble is when occasional (other) people start insisting that tropical is worthless or meaningless, as it's worked well for me for many years. Philosophically, it does place the sun as more central to the horoscope, not in the sense of pop-schlock sun-sign astrology, but just in the sense that the chart is a more of a function of the sun's motion.

I've seen asteroids work really well, to the point where they can be uncanny. But they have to be used really judiciously. I use only the conjunction. I wouldn't splatter a natal chart with all of those lovelorn asteroids. Juno, OK. Similarly, in modern astrology, the outers have real meanings. I wouldn't use them in horary as traditional planets at all, but if one of them popped up in a highly salient way in a given horoscope, it does give reinforcement or extra meaning to the reading.

Basically any type of mature astrology demands that we be connoisseurs of what we read and practice.

Frankly, if anyone can explain the rationale behind the terms, be they Chaldean or Egyptian, I would like to see it.

That way you may have found a way of making use of the outers but it doesn't really solve the problem since you still can't treat the outers like the classical planets. As such, the outers remain a different class of planets, or in a more strict sense, they actually can't really be considered (astrological) planets even though they are planets in the astronomical sense (check out Hartmut Warm on this). The arabic parts though, as well as the nodes are only mathematical points. The outers, however, are actual physical/celestial bodies out there that are physically moving around and that can be observed with the naked eye or via telescopes. So that's different still.

I just don't have a problem with this. I've not heard of Hartmut Warm, but I'll try to find this. So lets not call the outers "planets." Let's call them Daffy Duck and see if that takes some of the onus off them. :innocent:

One theory in some (not all) quarters of modern astrology is that the outers are "higher octaves" of the personal planets. Personally I have no idea what is the point of this, or how you would use it in a chart reading. But there is also good stuff coming out now on Eris (Henry Seltzer's book, not the evolutionary astrology) so we may soon be moving beyond Pluto. The issue is how to do this judiciously and sensibly.

Actually, in the original sense, aspect means aspect by sign (which was also a house). So this is already a later development. Vedic still works like this. Which means when you switch from tropical to sidereal and a planet changes signs, aspects usually also change. However, because of the new house systems, the planets usually remain in the same houses. The exact aspects stay the same, of course. So if you should mostly work with houses and exact aspects, then you should get very similar predictions.

Anyway, as Oddity mentioned, modern astrology started a lot earlier than is commonly known, way before the 1700's.

I'm not sure what type of modern astrology this would be: Galileo and Kepler?

Good discussion, Muchacho, thanks.

Last edited:

david starling

Old-fashioned astrologers refuse to admit there's a legitimate, new version of Astrology, the current torch-bearer of the ancient Tradition of Astrology. Since Modern Astrology is of the line of that ancient Tradition, it is itself "traditional". The Astrological lineage didn't end in 1700 A.C.E.

muchacho

If you work with the sidereal zodiac (and Vedic) that's fine by me. My only quibble is when occasional (other) people start insisting that tropical is worthless or meaningless, as it's worked well for me for many years. Philosophically, it does place the sun as more central to the horoscope, not in the sense of pop-schlock sun-sign astrology, but just in the sense that the chart is a more of a function of the sun's motion.
If you use fixed stars, you have to refer to the sidereal zodiac. Which means most astrologers who think of themselves as tropicalists use both zodiacs simultaneously. So I think in that sense, in the west most are 'hybrids' anyway.

Frankly, if anyone can explain the rationale behind the terms, be they Chaldean or Egyptian, I would like to see it.
As arbitrary as it may seem, there is a certain logic to it. It's a bit complicated but the sequence basically has to do with triplicity lords and sect and if a planets is malefic/benefic; the number of degrees you get with the golden ratio applied to the former. Gil Brand has written about this.

I've not heard of Hartmut Warm, but I'll try to find this.
He has written a book called Signature of the Celestial Spheres: Discovering Order in the Solar System. You should get this on amazon.

One theory in some (not all) quarters of modern astrology is that the outers are "higher octaves" of the personal planets. Personally I have no idea what is the point of this, or how you would use it in a chart reading. But there is also good stuff coming out now on Eris (Henry Seltzer's book, not the evolutionary astrology) so we may soon be moving beyond Pluto. The issue is how to do this judiciously and sensibly.
I'd say if Eris fits into the orderly scheme of the nine planets that Warm is describing in his book, then Eris certainly should be considered a planet. After all it's all about mathematics, not so much about physics as he shows in his book. That harmonic system is of primary importance and how the new celestial body in question fits into this. What astronomers and astrophysicists deem to be a planet is of secondary importance only.

However, with astrology it's a bit more complicated. As you have mentioned, modern astrology can easily work with the outers. Traditional astrology cannot, and vedic astrology can't either. In order to use the outers in the traditional system(s) you would have to basically remodel the entire system. As you probably know, the number seven plays an important role in the ontology attached to the traditional system of astrology. If you suddenly want to upgrade that system from seven to ten, then you need a new ontology. Which basically means a new kind of astrology is required. Now, according to the Great Year theory we are still in the dark ages. Which means the astrology practiced today is probably also just a dark age astrology. So who knows, maybe the astrology of the Golden Age had a system with 10 or 12 or more planets?

muchacho

IF :smile:

since
Neo- is a prefix from the ancient Greek word for young, neos.
Neo- is a combining form meaning “new,” “recent,” “revived,” “modified”
New and different
used in the formation of compound words: neo-Darwinism; Neolithic
neoorthodoxy; neophyte.

hence
"neo-traditional" is an obvious contradiction in terms
and clearly excludes "Neo-traditionalism" from our Traditional board
our traditional board
quite rightly
excludes the use of MODERN OUTERS

Jupiter and Saturn are the traditional outers
It's just that simple
Q.E.D.

only those obsessed with MODERN OUTERS
would use that skewed definition
which is transparently designed
to include as traditional astrologers

those who
in an effort to force the use of MODERN OUTERS onto our traditional board
claim MODERN OUTERS = "supplementary data points"
whilst affirming obfuscatingly that Modern Astrology IS "Traditional"

NEVERTHELESS

our traditional board excludes MODERN OUTERS

traditional rules clearly state that members who wish to
explore a COMBINATION of traditional and modern ideas
should feel free to start a new thread
in an appropriate forum for further discussion.
Relax. We are in the chat section.

JUPITERASC

If you use fixed stars, you have to refer to the sidereal zodiac. Which means most astrologers who think of themselves as tropicalists use both zodiacs simultaneously. So I think in that sense, in the west most are 'hybrids' anyway.

As arbitrary as it may seem, there is a certain logic to it. It's a bit complicated but the sequence basically has to do with triplicity lords and sect and if a planets is malefic/benefic; the number of degrees you get with the golden ratio applied to the former. Gil Brand has written about this.

He has written a book called Signature of the Celestial Spheres: Discovering Order in the Solar System. You should get this on amazon.

I'd say if Eris fits into the orderly scheme of the nine planets that Warm is describing in his book, then Eris certainly should be considered a planet. After all it's all about mathematics, not so much about physics as he shows in his book. That harmonic system is of primary importance and how the new celestial body in question fits into this. What astronomers and astrophysicists deem to be a planet is of secondary importance only.

However, with astrology it's a bit more complicated. As you have mentioned, modern astrology can easily work with the outers. Traditional astrology cannot, and vedic astrology can't either. In order to use the outers in the traditional system(s) you would have to basically remodel the entire system. As you probably know, the number seven plays an important role in the ontology attached to the traditional system of astrology. If you suddenly want to upgrade that system from seven to ten, then you need a new ontology. Which basically means a new kind of astrology is required. Now, according to the Great Year theory we are still in the dark ages. Which means the astrology practiced today is probably also just a dark age astrology. So who knows, maybe the astrology of the Golden Age had a system with 10 or 12 or more planets?
Chat section is for chat
such as for example :smile:

No, it's not pretty wide open. It's the modern forum

because people in there don't want to read traditional delineations.
I have no problem with that, btw, nor do I see it or the trad forum
as 'dictatorial'. Nor Vedic.
Are you now claiming a vast acquaintance of traditional astrologers

and a good understanding of their methods

to make the claim that Uranus, Neptune, Pluto are tradtional?
The whole thread is just one big troll.

highlighted the relevant comment made by Oddity :smile:

JUPITERASC

you and everyone :smile:

an example of relaxing dialogue

and I quote

Those obsessed with keeping Saturn as the outermost astrological planet, and
obsessed with a taboo on even mentioning any planet past Saturn on the Traditional board, are
also obsessed with believing that any defense of Modern Astrology is an attack on Traditional Astrology. :biggrin:
so relaxed

And you, Petosiris, are beginning to sound distinctly modern in your post,
when you write about not taking this stuff literally.
well according to thread title Modern Astrology IS "Traditional" :smile:
Actually, Traditional Astrology is a modern interpretation of astrology as practiced by ancients. Case sensitive. The title is Upper Case because it's a title, and I'm now using it for the various schools (meaning versions). So, all astrology is modern, including Traditional Astrology, because it's being studied and practiced by present-day astrologers. And, all astrology is traditional, including Modern Astrology, which is just the latest development of the more than 5000 year-old tradition now known as astrology, while Traditional Astrology (as distinguished from astrology as a tradition), is a modern revival of earlier developments.

the relaxing dialogue continues with a boxing analogy :smile:

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, the hand can't hit
what the eye can't see!* :biggrin:
[*Muhammad Ali]
boxing is such a relaxed sport

david starling

Hey, I gots Mars Ascending, awight!? :ninja:
Anyhoo, I now understand the rule about no Planets past Saturn. Our Traditional board is a time-machine, and it won't work properly if there's interference from anything modern, especially the modern discoveries of the Planets beyond Saturn. I now totally agree with this rule. Not joking.

JUPITERASC

you are such a great example compadre :smile:

I'd say you are deliberately missing my point. And I'm not even exaggerating. :smile:
so relaxed

David, I too am quite offended by the modern holy than though attitude and often jeering atthose that do not give much or rather any importance to the outers. So, am I justified to throw a cheeky connotation here and there?! Especially when I am asking you as the author about something quite normal?

And, your justifying Waybread's attitude here now makes me doubt whether the intent of this thread here actually is to curb this tit-for-tat attitude, which I actually even endorsed in my response to Waybread.

Anyway, from plenty of past experience after a good ten years on this forum, I am more than wary of getting myself lost in an unpleasant back and forth with either of you - I have burnt my fingers enough no. of times to know how this can end.
another relaxing comment

david starling

Traditions go through changes in order to adapt to the times. The use of The trans-Saturnian planets hadn't yet begun by 1700, so they weren't yet included in the Astrological-tradition. That makes including them in astrology as practiced in the time period of the Traditional board anachronistic. Like a clock striking the hour in Ancient Rome, before such clocks were in use.