How to judge Rahu or Ketu Dashas?

Venusmagic89

I recently learned how yo calculate Ishta and Kashta Phala and how that shows you weather or not a planet will give good results during its Dasha. I have a quick question about that ill get back to, but first, since IP and KP cannot be calculated for Rahu and Ketu, how do I judge those Dashas?

My Ketu dasha isnt until 20 years from,now as next year I will begin Mercury Dasha. But im curious to know for other charts as I noticed my father actually got married during his Ketu dasha which I think is unique as most things I've read about rahu/ketu dashas, espevilly ketu is that they are not good. My dad however has ketu in his 7 house so kinda makes sense it would bring marriage, although odd still as ketu in 7 sometimes prevents it from,even occurring.

My other question is, that I read IP and KP simply tell you how easy or difficult it will be to receive positive results from planets during their period, but other yogas are what determine its final out come.

For me, the planet with lowest IP score is Jupiter with a score of 7. I was born during Jupiter Dasha though and the first 10 years of my life (the length of my Jupiter dasha) were amazing. I had the most wonderful childhood.
The reason Jupiters score is so low is because it is within 1 degree conjunction to my Sun, so combust. Abd in enemy sign, Taurus, still pretty far from exaltation. But it gets the most points from it getting close to exaltation. Jupiter makes no other aspects in my chart besides the conjunction to my Sun. So I guess the "final outcome" being conjunction to my sun shows positive? As im Aries ASC so Jupiter and Sun are benefic for me. But during that time period, many positive blessings came my way with such ease. There was absolutely no struggle. Which seems contradictory to Jupiter's IP score.

However here's where it doesbt make sense. Saturn is actually the only planet in my chart more than,1 sign away from my Sun. ALL of my planets cluster around my Sun in 1-3 houses. Saturn opposes 3 of my 3rd house planets, Mars, Venus, Moon from the 9th house.
This also means i have partial KAL Sarp Yoga. Rahu in 11, Ketu in 5, all planets in 1-3 house except saturn in 9th. Saturn is onnly planet outside this yoga.
But since saturn opposes so many of my planets, its final outcome of its Dasha should be negative yes?
Well Saturn is the planet with the highest IP score because it is so far from my Sun and not far from Exaltation either. (67 degrees from exact Exaltation ) so I am completing Saturn Dasha now abd it has been the most difficult life imaginable. Coming from such a wonderful child hood things just went down hill fast. Probably because as soon as my Saturn Dasha began, when I was 11, my Safe Satti began at age 13. That was hell on earth for me- those 7 years. Then things didn't get better at all until Saturn/Mars Dasha when I was 23. Saturn,opposes Mars in my chart though so I don't really get how that is where things started to turn positive but they did improve greatly after age 23. Maybe as I was getting far away from the downfall of Sadr Satti.
And although things have continued to improve since then, however slowly and with their share of many dissapoibtments still ( the hardships I've had the past 5 years are so small compared to what I went thru before that now I feel lucky) I still feel like this time period has been very...not fruitful.

I guess IP and KP aren't really that significant? The yogas are much more important then?
I will go thru my Saturn Return soon which im looking forward too since I think making peace with saturn energy is what I need to possibly escape my partial kal sarp yoga.

Its interesting too, because the week my saturn return is exact is the same week my Dasha changes from Saturn to mercury (in jan 2019)

Mercury has a medium IP score of 22, and it is actually the best aspected planet of my chart. Even though I know, as Aries ASC mercury rules 3 and 6 so its malefic. But it doesn't feel malefic to me. As its in my 1 house, in mutual reception to my 7 lord Venus and textile to my 1 lord Mars. And it rules my Punarvasu Gemini Moon and Mars and my Ardra Venus of course.

So any advice on this is helpful. Maybe the Dasha of Rahu and Ketu would be judged from the scores of their ruling planets? What about final outcomes? Would those be indicated by the aspects their depositor makes or by the actual aspects Rahu and Ketu make?
Just curious because my Rahu is Saturn ruled, Ketu Sun ruled. So I don't want my Rahu Dasha to be a repeat of my Saturn one! Although Rahu Dasha I don't really need to worry about as it would occur when im in my 90s anyway. But Rahu AntarDasha of course occurs.

But just curious about any ones knowledge on this? Thanks.

Last edited:

Logan

As far as I know,Rahu and Ketu Dashas are judged on their placements in the horoscope.They are also influenced by the the aspects of other planets.Its very tricky to judge their impact during their dashas.The only way to judge them looking back how the results in their respective AD's were.

The concept of IP and KP is incomplete without the application of shadbala concept.The relative rank of shadbala of that planet will tell you which is the most benefic or malefic planet in your horoscope.A planet with low IP and high shadbala rank can give you better results than a planet with high IP and low shadbala score.The concept here is a bit complicated because the how the entire dasha shapes up is influenced by various factors.So it is very premature to judge the results by looking only at IP,KP and Shadbala.

The most important thing one has to remember is the amount of effort and hardwork you have to put in to get the desired results.

To become successful,Astrology has only 10% impact on your life.The rest 90% is solely dependent on your karma and dharma.

During childhood,you cannot understand the dasha effects or sade sati impact because your are under your parents care and protection.By the time you are 20-21,that is when your start experiencing things and so your actual life starts.Those experiences will actually mould your mindset and beliefs on how you are gonna face the future.

The concept of dasha mapping is very important here.if you are going a through good dashas between the age of 21-60, that is when you might be successful in your life with moderate hard work and a bit of luck.You can still be successful in your life with your hardwork and determination.But you have make some big sacrifices along the way.You can also make your own luck by being resilient and patient.

Please remember that planets do not control us.They are like the winds to our sails.We can't solely depend on winds to take us forward.We have to row the boat as well.If there are no winds,then we have have to row the boat even harder.Ultimately,we will reach our destination.The only difference is it takes more time and effort to get there.

Till now I have experienced only Ketu and Venus MD.I am an Aries ASC.My IP and KP for venus was 5.33 and 16.71.Venus is in 12th house of Pisces and it is combust and exalted.Venus being the second highest malefic planet according to Shadbala.Mercury the most malefic one for me and luckily,I was born in Mercury MD.The Dasha balance was around 2 years.

Academically,my Venus MD went very well as I completed by Bachelors and Masters in this dasha.In fact,I did my Bachelors in one the most coveted and prestigious university in my country.I worked very hard and sacrificed a lot of things in my teenage years to get there.(Mars in 2nd house and Saturn in 9th house means that I will get good success only after my hard work:biggrin:)

I recently completed my masters but having a difficult time in finding a job and have no source of income.I cant marry without a stable job.Venus is my 2nd house income lord and 7th house marriage lord and I can feel its malefic influence on only those two areas.My mercury is also combust and debilitated in 12th house of pisces but that did not negatively impact my academic progression during this venus dasha.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Logan.

Last edited:

jrd

Look at the dispositors to judge effects of Rahu and Ketu.

Ha ha, sir. My Ketu dasha got over in 2008 but it was a mixed bag. Half of the dasha I was employed, half unemployed. My ketu's dispositor is the Moon -- that is why? (As Moon both waxes and wanes...). :happy:

Just like that felt like sharing, as your quote was so apt for my experience.

muchacho

Ha ha, sir. My Ketu dasha got over in 2008 but it was a mixed bag. Half of the dasha I was employed, half unemployed. My ketu's dispositor is the Moon -- that is why? (As Moon both waxes and wanes...). :happy:

Just like that felt like sharing, as your quote was so apt for my experience.
Cool. Did you also use Ketu as Dasha Lagna?

jrd

muchacho sir,

So correct! My Ketu is in 6th house. So 3rd lord Mars becomes 10th lord from Ketu and he is in 1st house (lagna), which makes him placed 6/8 from Ketu.

Speak of irony!

There was a time I was really, really proud of my horoscope! 1st lord in 4th, 4 and 9 lord in 10, 5th lord in 9, 10th lord in 1, etc, etc... but look at my dasha sequence during the prime of my life... in my 30's, ran above said Ketu dasa with 10th lord placed in 6/8 from dasa nath, now in my 40's, running Venus where 10th lord Sun is placed in 12 from Venus debilitated... simple strategy but fits the bill.

muchacho

muchacho sir,

So correct! My Ketu is in 6th house. So 3rd lord Mars becomes 10th lord from Ketu and he is in 1st house (lagna), which makes him placed 6/8 from Ketu.

Speak of irony!

There was a time I was really, really proud of my horoscope! 1st lord in 4th, 4 and 9 lord in 10, 5th lord in 9, 10th lord in 1, etc, etc... but look at my dasha sequence during the prime of my life... in my 30's, ran above said Ketu dasa with 10th lord placed in 6/8 from dasa nath, now in my 40's, running Venus where 10th lord Sun is placed in 12 from Venus debilitated... simple strategy but fits the bill.
Yes, often a horoscope may show great potential for success or fame, but the Dasha sequence is such that it's not going to unfold during a normal life span, it is either scheduled too early or too late.