The wise words of Vettius Valens

Dirius

Was just browsing today the anthologies, and re-read this paragraph:

------------------------------ O ------------------------------

Since I wished to set out brief explanations of these matters, and since I deprecate all long-winded, mythological mystification, I have published these chapters, most particularly for those who are vitally interested in these matters, those who have spent much time in their studies, and who, because of this, can make an equal contribution from their own insights.

I believe that I have persuaded these students, in what I have written and will write, to put aside the hard-to-believe and easily-ridiculed parts of our art, to convict our opponents of folly and mad raving, and to display the immortal foreknowledge which is now in danger.

Eager scholars, exercised in the mathematical, introductory disciplines by other men, will win the victory-prize of glory with the help of this treatise. Even if we seem to be merely compiling and explaining the doctrines of the old astrologers, even for this we will win the prize of merit from our readers, because of the precision, clarity, and instructiveness of their methods. Others have employed long-winded, elaborate schemes, and although thinking that they have explained, have really overturned their existing reputation for foreknowledge. Trying to exercise a pure Hellenic style in their writings, they have revealed a thoroughly barbarian mind. One might say that they act like the Sirens, who attracted sailors with their treacherous, but harmonious, voices and with the music of instruments and of baneful song, then destroyed them on the reefs of the deep. This is what some men suffer and have suffered, men who fall in with the sects of those other astrologers: beguiled from the start by their spectacular words and their spells, they have become lost in a trackless wilderness, and finding no exit, they perish not only in the depths, but even in a maze.

Some who think they have escaped this danger fall into tormenting, soul-wearying agony and come to a bitter end. If someone uses Odysseus’ scheme and sails past these “Sirens,” he will bequeath to others knowledge sanctified by his life, knowledge with which he can live and associate always, enjoying his span of days, while repelling the malignant opinions of his opponents as if by magic. So then, saying farewell to these men, we will reach the glory which lies before us.

Anthologies, Book II.

------------------------------ O ------------------------------

Probably written over 1800 years ago. I'm never sure if this type of comments are from the author himself, or something added later by an individual doing the compilation, given the hundreds of years of copies going around, and people with the ability to alter the manuscripts.

Still, valuable words for me at least- whomever wrote them.

Last edited:

Slenkar

I read that anthology a few months ago.
It seems to talk about the part of daemon a lot why does noone really discuss it here?

Slenkar

Ill have to read it again to see what he says about it,

When I was reading the anthology he mentioned all of
these crazy unfortunate things that can happen to people and the planetary combinations that cause these things to happen.

Astrology really brings out compassion for others, because when I was reading this I was just like 'poor b***ard who has this combination'

Wikipedia says he was born Feb 8th so he was an Aquarian - heheh
You posted a quote from him in another thread where he says all these bad things about them.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Ill have to read it again to see what he says about it,

When I was reading the anthology he mentioned all of
these crazy unfortunate things that can happen to people and the planetary combinations that cause these things to happen.

Astrology really brings out compassion for others, because when I was reading this I was just like 'poor b***ard who has this combination'

Wikipedia says he was born Feb 8th so he was an Aquarian - heheh
Apparently Valens uses his own chart in the ANTHOLOGY
although because Valens does not openly state it is his own natal chart
there is some debate about whether it actually is Valens own chart or not
:smile:

JUPITERASC

'....scholars agree with Otto Neugebauer that the one chart Valens mentions several times,
and seems to know the native outstandingly well,
is extremely likely his own chart.
Like most Hellenistic astrologers, Valens gives the position of 7 ancient planets in signs only (no degrees).
Neugebauer ascertained that the positions correspond
for the native being born 8 February 120 CE, around 7:00 PM in Antioch....' Gregory Rozek

'....We don’t know the exact degree rising, but we know that Horoscopos is in Virgo.
We can’t also be sure if he was born in Antioch (current Turkey), because he never mentions that place himself,
but based on the Codices scholars like Anna Komorowska (Polish author of a monograph on Valens,
Vettius Valens of Antioch: An Intellectual Monography
, Kraków 2004 – printed in Poland, though written in English)
it is indicated that he was born there....' Gregory Rozek

elendiaar

Hello,

What is the difference between the link published above for the Vetius Valens' Anthology Books and Robert Zoller's Vetius Valens Anthology translations? There are no details about the translator in the previous file...

JUPITERASC

Hello,

What is the difference between the link published above for the Vetius Valens' Anthology Books
and Robert Zoller's Vetius Valens Anthology translations?
There are no details about the translator in the previous file...
Professor mARK Riley, California State University posted his translation FREE in pdf form
whereas Robert Schmidt's translation is expensive
and available from Project HINDSIGHT
http://www.projecthindsight.com/products/index.html :smile: