Horary question

ashdan

I had an horary chart done and it says cancer rises and in saturn hour that it's not radical/rooted but can get an accurate answer from it. What does not radical /rooted mean exactly. Does that lessen the accuracy in some way?

mossadrai

Hello, ashdan!

To say that a horary chart is not radical is the same of saying that the chart is invalid and should not be used to answer the question. This may be due to a lot of "problems", the question is asked too early, or too late, the astrologer does not have what it takes to answer, or this is not a good time to ask, etc.

Now I will tell you something that my experience showed me, but it is not something in the books. As you said, many times charts that are not radical do yield very good and precise answers. This is so strong and common that I, personally, rarely am worried with signs of non radical charts. I do take notice of these, but I read the chart anyway. Remember this is my personal experience, and not necessarily something that others astrologers will agree.

ashdan

So how much can you trust the accuracy of it if its not radical. The question I asked had to do with a relationship and when I read his interpretation of the chart it seemed to accurately represent what Im feeling at this time but that doesn't necessarily mean its accurate chart does it? Also I was more concerned about his interpretation of the other person involved do you think I should trust that to be accurate or that there is a possibility there is not much truth to it?

Zarathu

Account Closed
I agree also. However, I don't usually push forward when Moon is Void of Course, or when the ruler of the ASC and has no Ptolemaic aspect relationship with the ruler of the house of the question.

While I can get a lot of good information still, I also cannot be sure that the yes/no part of the answer is accurate. The too early or too late from the degree position of the ASC is just information, not a yes or no usually.

My opinion too.

melleoscorp

Account Closed
So how much can you trust the accuracy of it if its not radical. The question I asked had to do with a relationship and when I read his interpretation of the chart it seemed to accurately represent what Im feeling at this time but that doesn't necessarily mean its accurate chart does it? Also I was more concerned about his interpretation of the other person involved do you think I should trust that to be accurate or that there is a possibility there is not much truth to it?

I can relate to this. so far I just follow traditional rules. e.g. Asc earlier than 3 degrees, I will not read the chart because it's too early. I keep the charts so that I can go back to them and learn more about accuracy that way. Granted I just started learning horary

I had an horary chart done and it says cancer rises and in saturn hour that it's not radical/rooted but can get an accurate answer from it. What does not radical /rooted mean exactly. Does that lessen the accuracy in some way?

I just read this question again. as in radicality I never use that judgement. I have read about radicality as a stricture, but the ones I mostly use are Asc (late/early) and Moon VoC (but I do look at Moon's next sign sometimes e.g. Moon is 26-27 deg, close to next sign) Moon is always significant in horary, after all it's querent's co sig. so if chart is not radical but Moon and Asc (querent) are not against strictures I will read
More strictures here : http://www.moonvalleyastrologer.com/horary-astrology/#strictures

Last edited:

ashdan

So the person who did this chart for me whose supposed to be very experienced told me it was better to ask my question this way "Where is this relationship going" and like I said he told me it was not radical but yet he could get get an accurate answer. So how accurate do you think the answer would be if I asked that way?

dr. farr

The issue of horary "radicality" was originally elaborated by Guido Bonatti in the 13th century: for hundreds of years prior to that time, all horary charts were regarded as valid UNLESS the querent was insincere in the question, or jesting, or testing the practitioner, or already knew the answer to the question: other than these circumstances all horary questions and their charts were deemed "radical"-the same outlook prevailed (and continues to prevail) in Vedic horary (called "prashna")..I myself do not use the various "conditions of radicality" for horary charts which have been included among horary "rules" since the time of Bonatti, and I must add that I have obtained a very satisfactory "accuracy" % in horary, in spite of ignoring these "rules of radicality"...

mossadrai

Well, there you go, ashdan; dr.farr said it all before me. I was going to write to tell you that I find the answers to be completely reliable, even when the chart is not radical according to traditional rules.