Sun in 8th house

That description of the 8th house sun was very accurate. I think the issue most 8th house sun people face is trying to build a life and achieve their goals without a partner. I've always wondered why I felt as if I needed another person to feel content. As a child I couldn't sleep at night and even to this day I find it easier to fall asleep with someone I love next to me. Studying astrology and finding that I had sun in 8th helped me realize that maybe all the **** I encountered trying to build a life for myself wasn't so farfetched. 8th house suns are kinda caught between insanity and reality and even though we can be natural psychologist for others we often need someone to help keep us from falling apart.

Definetely agree with that. Sun in the 8th house people have a heavy burden to carry by having to do everything themselves. I often think that once I get myself done with all the training and get the career I want, and then a life partner, that life should settle down and become more content. The battle can't last forever, surely!!

Is there an age that 8th house sun people find things calm down, does it start to lose influence eventually..? Or is it a burden that we will have to always be on the look out for?

IfIKnewBetter

Definetely agree with that. Sun in the 8th house people have a heavy burden to carry by having to do everything themselves. I often think that once I get myself done with all the training and get the career I want, and then a life partner, that life should settle down and become more content. The battle can't last forever, surely!!

Is there an age that 8th house sun people find things calm down, does it start to lose influence eventually..? Or is it a burden that we will have to always be on the look out for?

I'm pretty sure it's on-going judging by my own experiences and those I've read here. I think the real question is how to deal with it.

muchacho

A positive to having Sun in the 8th house is that it make these people super magnetic and deep. These people have the ability to truly connect with other people.
That's right. The 8th deals with existential matters (aka 'depth'), which makes it also a very spiritual house.

Osamenor

Staff member
That description of the 8th house sun was very accurate. I think the issue most 8th house sun people face is trying to build a life and achieve their goals without a partner. I've always wondered why I felt as if I needed another person to feel content. As a child I couldn't sleep at night and even to this day I find it easier to fall asleep with someone I love next to me.
There must be other chart factors involved in this. I, another eighth house sun, don't feel any particular need for a partner, and that's always been true. When I have one, that relationship is very important to me, but when I don't, I don't feel any great need to get one.

Maybe your sun's sign placement, along with moon, rising, seventh house configuration (sign, ruler's placement, and seventh house placements if you have any) are the important factors here. If you have a lot of chart factors pointing to partnership, or need for partnership vs self development, as a key issue for you, that might slant your eighth house focus to the partnership meanings of the eighth house. Since the eighth house has such a wide range of meanings, it would make sense that eighth house natives have different kinds of eighth house focus.
8th house suns are kinda caught between insanity and reality and even though we can be natural psychologist for others we often need someone to help keep us from falling apart.
That, however, does resonate for me. Not necessarily needing someone all the time, but being able to be a natural psychologist for others but not myself.

I'm pretty sure it's on-going judging by my own experiences and those I've read here. I think the real question is how to deal with it.

Hmm...so far, the way I've learnt to deal with it is just to almost blindly move on to the next thing and leave the pieces behind you :/ just move on. Although understanding the situation, and basically rationalising everything helps, that could be a Gemini Mars thing, but an Aries 8th house sun definetely just starts again.

IfIKnewBetter

There must be other chart factors involved in this. I, another eighth house sun, don't feel any particular need for a partner, and that's always been true. When I have one, that relationship is very important to me, but when I don't, I don't feel any great need to get one.

This.

Hmm...so far, the way I've learnt to deal with it is just to almost blindly move on to the next thing and leave the pieces behind you :/ just move on. Although understanding the situation, and basically rationalising everything helps, that could be a Gemini Mars thing, but an Aries 8th house sun definetely just starts again.

The ability to transcend and transform our burdens or suffering is probably the biggest lesson/gift I think this placement has. Because it's exhausting to go from one thing to the other, or discouraging when you think you're done dealing with something and it grows a second head and comes back. You have to find a reason why, you have to make some use out of everything. Skin it and wear it. We have to go through the, "Why me, why this" phase to using it as a corrosive baptism of sorts lol. A tool to purify, strip away, or distill. I don't know about you guys but a lot of the things I've gone through I've realized have been for one purpose or the other. To make me stronger, to make me independent, to make me be my authentic self, etc etc. There were a lot of things that kept "coming back" until I learned better. If there was a weakness somewhere, I let it be destroyed or tear it down myself and build something better. That's kind of where my username comes from. And my avatar for that matter. We fortunately or unfortunately have to keep experiencing a perpetual disaster and resurgence. There are some things though that... Ugh...

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Transcend and transform...a very Scorpionic way of saying the same thing as an Aries would say, 'leave the pieces on the floor and move on!' Totally agree though, we have to. And the 'why me why me' feeling until you've baptised yourself...yeah...it's funny because I remember I was feeling this way once after my gran died and I was crying down the phone to a friend, basically saying life was so hard and the thought of picking up the pieces was too much, and he basically said I had no resilience. Hmm!! I've had more resilience than him in a week than his whole life. Not a lot of people will admit it, but even the ones who label themselves as strong people will act weak. The only difference is you put on a brave face to the world.

And yeah, I know what you mean about certain things that happen that are completely outwith your control, and it doesn't matter if you have learnt your lesson, or have baptised yourself trying to understand it - it keeps coming back. Those are the real burdens :/ I wonder if most 8th house sun people have an issue that just won't go away, or caused by sheer negligence..something completely unjustified, and you can only accept it and have it be carried like a cross, rather than a passing lesson.

Things that have no rhyme or reason, or when you have to walk away knowing justice wasn't served...the things that continue to bite away at you. That's got to be a sign of true strength to just carry on anyway. Like the warrior that continues to fight even though he knows the battle is lost. But you fight anyway because it's the right thing to do :)

I don't know if other people with this placement have had a similar experience, but I had almost a flash of intuition when I was younger, like 13/14 when my first ever taste of depression was just starting. And an instinctive voice in my head told myself that this was the start of a journey, and its purpose was to make me strong for an even bigger battle later in life. And of course at that age, I naively said 'of course, let's go for it.' Let the battle begin ha :)

the reality of that moment isn't as poetic as it sounded in my head, it's not like it's an 'Emily Rose' style story, where at the end of it you become a saint. I think it describes the essence of a 8th house sun spirit, and attitude. And in the link I posted above, it says a crisis will happen in middle age to us, that if we succeed then we should be able to live a long and satisfied life. It's funny how similar it is. I also think I already know what the battle will be as well, but I don't want to tempt fate and say it (I learnt the hard way you should probably listen to fate and respect it.)

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Thanks for sharing. Transcend and transform...a very Scorpionic way of saying the same thing as an Aries would say, 'leave the pieces on the floor and move on!' Totally agree though, we have to. And the 'why me why me' feeling until you've baptised yourself...yeah...it's funny because I remember I was feeling this way once after my gran died and I was crying down the phone to a friend, basically saying life was so hard and the thought of picking up the pieces was too much, and he basically said I had no resilience. Hmm!! I've had more resilience than him in a week than his whole life. Not a lot of people will admit it, but even the ones who label themselves as strong people will act weak. The only difference is you put on a brave face to the world.

And yeah, I know what you mean about certain things that happen that are completely outwith your control, and it doesn't matter if you have learnt your lesson, or have baptised yourself trying to understand it - it keeps coming back. Those are the real burdens :/ I wonder if most 8th house sun people have an issue that just won't go away, or caused by sheer negligence..something completely unjustified, and you can only accept it and have it be carried like a cross, rather than a passing lesson.

Things that have no rhyme or reason, or when you have to walk away knowing justice wasn't served...the things that continue to bite away at you. That's got to be a sign of true strength to just carry on anyway. Like the warrior that continues to fight even though he knows the battle is lost. But you fight anyway because it's the right thing to do :)

I don't know if other people with this placement have had a similar experience, but I had almost a flash of intuition when I was younger, like 13/14 when my first ever taste of depression was just starting. And an instinctive voice in my head told myself that this was the start of a journey, and its purpose was to make me strong for an even bigger battle later in life. And of course at that age, I naively said 'of course, let's go for it.' Let the battle begin ha :)

the reality of that moment isn't as poetic as it sounded in my head, it's not like it's an 'Emily Rose' style story, where at the end of it you become a saint. I think it describes the essence of a 8th house sun spirit, and attitude. And in the link I posted above, it says a crisis will happen in middle age to us, that if we succeed then we should be able to live a long and satisfied life. It's funny how similar it is. I also think I already know what the battle will be as well, but I don't want to tempt fate and say it (I learnt the hard way you should probably listen to fate and respect it.)

This sounds like a perfect example of an Aries eighth house sun! Aries is the archetypal warrior. Describing their life experiences as a battle, struggle, or challenge seems to be a common thing for Aries folks to do, in my experience. Put that Aries in the eighth house, and eighth house intensity is blended in with it all.

In answer to your earlier question, I don't think the eighth house ever eases up, because the sun's placement is always present for us, and it always describes what you need most in order to grow and in order to be happy. Eighth house, no matter what sign is involved, demands growth in the outside the boundaries of self, transpersonal sort of way. Whichever sign is involved, we get that sign's archetype in the picture.

Aries needs challenge, and grows best through challenges. Gemini needs storytelling--tell your story, hear others'. Virgo needs to grow through development of skill. Libra needs to create harmony. Taurus needs roots. Cancer needs security and a sense of home. Leo needs ego development, plain and simple--I think that with Leo suns, the house message is especially important, because all suns are about ego development, and Leo, being the sun's native sign, just amplifies that message.

Other signs have other archetypes, but listing them all would make for a very long post.

We may be "cursed" with eighth house suns, but we also have the power and medicine of the eighth house available to us. I don't think there's any house more capable of profound healing than the eighth.

So, if you want the eighth house to ease up on you, go into your eighth house. Use its power for self healing. You mentioned before that you want to do reiki... I found that when I got reiki attunements, I was soon hard at work on my own healing, out of necessity. I was no longer able to sweep my problems under the rug. And I started finding the right practitioners to help me with it, too... they almost popped out of the woodwork.

Last edited:

sibylline

That description of the 8th house sun was very accurate. I think the issue most 8th house sun people face is trying to build a life and achieve their goals without a partner. I've always wondered why I felt as if I needed another person to feel content. As a child I couldn't sleep at night and even to this day I find it easier to fall asleep with someone I love next to me. Studying astrology and finding that I had sun in 8th helped me realize that maybe all the **** I encountered trying to build a life for myself wasn't so farfetched. 8th house suns are kinda caught between insanity and reality and even though we can be natural psychologist for others we often need someone to help keep us from falling apart.

There must be other chart factors involved in this. Maybe your sun's sign placement, along with moon, rising, seventh house configuration (sign, ruler's placement, and seventh house placements if you have any) are the important factors here.

No, generally Sun in the 8th house is all one needs, even if there are other factors which support it.

I've heard similar words (perhaps not as urgently) from other 8th house Suns, not to mention more or less any modern astrology book has a good bit on this.

I, another eighth house sun, don't feel any particular need for a partner, and that's always been true. When I have one, that relationship is very important to me, but when I don't, I don't feel any great need to get one.

Have you considered that Capricorn Rising with ruler Saturn in the 7th house and a retrograde Venus in Virgo might have cooled down your desire to connect with others, particularly one other?

ETA -- Re: other posts, we have to be conscious of attributing every hardship (e.g. mental or physical disability or illness) in our lives or in someone's life to Sun in the 8th house.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
No, generally Sun in the 8th house is all one needs, even if there are other factors which support it.

I've heard similar words (perhaps not as urgently) from other 8th house Suns, not to mention more or less any modern astrology book has a good bit on this.
And there are two eighth house sun people posting in this thread who do not have that experience. Our experiences count, too!
Have you considered that Capricorn Rising with ruler Saturn in the 7th house and a retrograde Venus in Virgo might have cooled down your desire to connect with others, particularly one other?

Very likely, that does. However, some previous posters said that driving need for a partner applies to ALL eighth house suns. I received a private message from someone who had a more similar experience to mine and felt that was invalidating them... and I feel similarly about that statement.

Mental or physical disability or illness, Sibylline? I prefer the words passionate and honest, and I bet everyone can relate to what I said. Therefore we must all be mentally 'disabled.' Which is what you insinuated I was...

IfIKnewBetter

ETA -- Re: other posts, we have to be conscious of attributing every hardship (e.g. mental or physical disability or illness) in our lives or in someone's life to Sun in the 8th house.

raw

Girl we know. We're saying the 8th House is how we deal with those situations, not that it's the sole cause.

As far as the relationships go, while I agree with 8th House Phoenix that things aren't completely 100% without someone who could be like "home," an intense soul rocking connection that would make us feel like we aren't alone, some of us won't immediately drop dead without that. I'd like to think we're all hardier than the average fruit fly denied of suga'.

Also how are you tryin' to throw shade in an 8th House post when everyone here is sensitive to the slightest shift in hue.

I've had a think about the partnership thing, and it's totally not an 8th house thing to 'need' a relationship. Infact, probably the most out of all the houses, it gives you enough strengthto do things on your own...Rely on yourself.

Just like the Scoroio sign, as Osamenor said I think it was, 8th house people probably experience relationships intensely, when they are in one, and life in general intensely, but it's not the sole focus of their life. But when in one, the relationship can have a transformative effect.

Ill definitely give Reiki a try too, cheers.

But I'm definetely not mentally disabled *AHEM*

I will admit to having powerful emotions, but if that scares you Sib, then perhaps you need to look in to yourself and ask why, and maybe you'll find the same buried emotions hidden in yourself.

muchacho

I've had a think about the partnership thing, and it's totally not an 8th house thing to 'need' a relationship. Infact, probably the most out of all the houses, it gives you enough strengthto do things on your own...Rely on yourself.
Just like the Scoroio sign, as Osamenor said I think it was, 8th house people probably experience relationships intensely, when they are in one, and life in general intensely, but it's not the sole focus of their life. But when in one, the relationship can have a transformative effect.

I will admit to having powerful emotions, but if that scares you Sib, then perhaps you need to look in to yourself and ask why, and maybe you'll find the same buried emotions hidden in yourself.
I agree. In a sense, the 8th is a 'face your inner demons' house, a no-nonsense house where you learn about your actual strength. Those with a strong 8th have no qualms about dealing with tabu issues either. So it's not by accident that the 8th deals with calamities, death or the occult but also with rejuvenation and longevity - the existential stuff. Anything superficial has no place here.

I agree. In a sense, the 8th is a 'face your inner demons' house, a no-nonsense house where you learn about your actual strength. Those with a strong 8th have no qualms about dealing with tabu issues either. So it's not by accident that the 8th deals with calamities, death or the occult but also with rejuvenation and longevity - the existential stuff. Anything superficial has no place here.

Yep, with the sun being the centre of self and 8th being transformation...it's the self that is transformed by self-improvement, self-evaluation, we are all probably very self-aware people...and that is probably the root cause of why we make such good psychologists for other people, because we understand ourselves. Above all else, to thine own self be true, is probably a good mantra for this placement!

Love that saying 'anything superficial has no place here.''

About the partnerships, I do think what 8th house sun Phoenix is true that, even though this house placement isn't about finding a partner or being transformed through one, I think it would be extra appreciated if there is someone to come home to, after a lot of time spent in self-exploration. But that sounds suspicious like a libra trait, and i have a prominent 7th house anyway.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member

Well said.

To be fair, some of us did mention having mental and/or physical disabilities. I think that's what Sibylline was referring to. One autistic, one ADD, one born with a cataract that wasn't corrected when it was supposed to be... and in the last two cases, there was also complete denial of anything wrong. Probably not the first, if he was placed in special ed classes... but I see that fitting an eighth house theme. Taboo. Difference. Denial of the difference.

I really hate having to identify myself as disabled because of ADD. Homosexuality used to be diagnosed as a mental disorder, too, and yet gay people don't have to say they're disordered when they identify their difference... they can just say, "I'm gay." This is diversity, not a disorder.

Eighth house people are not always disabled--and not always LGBTQ, either, although I've noticed that a lot of the LGBTQ folks on here have some significant eighth house placement (not necessarily the sun, but a strong eighth house). Those are just some ways the eighth house can manifest. If you do have disability and you also have an eighth house sun or other significant eighth house placement, that disability is going to play out in your life as a dance with taboo, I think.

Well said.

To be fair, some of us did mention having mental and/or physical disabilities. I think that's what Sibylline was referring to. One autistic, one ADD, one born with a cataract that wasn't corrected when it was supposed to be... and in the last two cases, there was also complete denial of anything wrong. Probably not the first, if he was placed in special ed classes... but I see that fitting an eighth house theme. Taboo. Difference. Denial of the difference.

I really hate having to identify myself as disabled because of ADD. Homosexuality used to be diagnosed as a mental disorder, too, and yet gay people don't have to say they're disordered when they identify their difference... they can just say, "I'm gay." This is diversity, not a disorder.

Eighth house people are not always disabled--and not always LGBTQ, either, although I've noticed that a lot of the LGBTQ folks on here have some significant eighth house placement (not necessarily the sun, but a strong eighth house). Those are just some ways the eighth house can manifest. If you do have disability and you also have an eighth house sun or other significant eighth house placement, that disability is going to play out in your life as a dance with taboo, I think.

No you're right, I shouldn't have directed that comment towards Sibylline. Apologies ( Aries favourite word.) We have been taught to label people and to be afraid not to wear a mask.

It's actually about the world in general. I don't know enough about astrology to say this in an astrological way, but the world has been built on a 'masculine' way of thinking. You can see it in the shape of our building and in sky-scrapers being phallic shaped, a direct contrast to say the flowing shapes of nature. It's also in the way we label things, and identify things, everything has to be put in to a box and labelled, like black and white thinking. Then you get the liberalists who are essentially the underdogs who seek to give a voice to people that have been put in an unfair box.

It's getting better, people are becoming more diverse. But the world is still run, and probably always will be run, in a way that favours a masculine way of thinking, a direct approach. A la capitalism. A-type personalities. Leaders.

In astrology, has anything been said about the beginning off the world or creation..? Why are we so Mars like, all of us? Stupid question probably, we are all animals at the end of the day. Society is created to 'contain' us and tame is. Thank god really.

Anyway, so yeah, *every* label is wrong. Human beings are spectrums of chance and different combinations. Every single combination of different aspects and signs and houses exist.

Just because a masculine way of thinking that the world is run on, means that people and groups have been labelled, it doesn't mean that judging it is justified. A feminine way of thinking would see all things in a more understanding light, and see the world in a more abstract way in general. We are but commodities of chance, and the luck or ill-luck of the draw.

Last edited:

sibylline

And there are two eighth house sun people posting in this thread who do not have that experience. Our experiences count, too!

Yes, and I don't think anyone here said otherwise.

Very likely, that does. However, some previous posters said that driving need for a partner applies to ALL eighth house suns.

Who are these previous posters and where are these comments? Not in this thread, as far as I can tell. If so, it doesn't make sense to drag into this thread issues from another thread or threads that took place who knows how long ago.

I received a private message from someone who had a more similar experience to mine and felt that was invalidating them... and I feel similarly about that statement.

And 8th house phoenix or any 8th hse Sun lurker might have felt invalidated by your insistence that it must be some factor other than an 8th house Sun driving their desire to partner (which again, is not the case). And your seemingly superior remark that they are focused on partnership at the expense of self-development.

Anyway, it seems to happen routinely that an 8th house Sun is closely involved with others outside of an exclusive intimate relationship, which you would be by becoming a natal astrologer, or a psychologist, or other areas where 8th house Suns are regularly seen. The key is that the 8th house is where one is intertwined with others, emotionally, physically, and/or financially (not necessarily via a romantic relationship, but often).

If a particular 8th house Sun doesn't relate to this, that doesn't change the meaning of the 8th house as 2nd from the 7th. Unfortunately you can't simply discard modern natal house meanings because you don't like them. Or create new ones based only on your personal experiences. Both of which are being done in this thread.

Mental or physical disability or illness, Sibylline? I prefer the words passionate and honest, and I bet everyone can relate to what I said. Therefore we must all be mentally 'disabled.' Which is what you insinuated I was...

No, that's what you imagined.

If I were referring to you specifically, I would have quoted you. The comment was regarding those posts that mentioned disabilities or disorders in relation to the 8th house. Since you did not mention these, it did not apply to you or your comments.

I would ask why you assumed that the comment was directed toward you and proceeded to rant based on that assumption, but no need.

No you're right, I shouldn't have directed that comment towards Sibylline. Apologies ( Aries favourite word.)

Apology accepted.

Osamenor

Staff member
Yes, and I don't think anyone here said otherwise.

You said it yourself, sibylline:
To me, the "no" sounded like you were saying no to the experience I shared. Mine couldn't possibly be right. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but it felt that way to me. You didn't distinguish between addressing my experience and addressing 8th House Phoenix's.
You reference "other eighth house suns" and astrology books, but you say nothing about your own experience. Do you have an eighth house sun? If so, please speak from your own experience. That's what this thread is really about: sharing personal experiences. If you're not an eighth house sun, you don't have that personal experience to speak from, so please acknowledge that, and don't try to tell us what our experiences should be. Maybe that's not your intention, but that's what's coming across.

Who are these previous posters and where are these comments? Not in this thread, as far as I can tell. If so, it doesn't make sense to drag into this thread issues from another thread or threads that took place who knows how long ago.
This:

That description of the 8th house sun was very accurate. I think the issue most 8th house sun people face is trying to build a life and achieve their goals without a partner.

To be fair, this post said "most," not "all." My bad on that. However, I heard a bit more detail in a private message (not from 8th house phoenix, however), which came out when I posted in this thread. Someone had been previously told they couldn't *really* be an eighth house sun if they didn't feel a driving need for a partner. I was interpreting this post that way, too, and Bluebell's answer, which seemed to push the "all eighth house people..." although to be fair, that was just personal experience being shared.
And 8th house phoenix or any 8th hse Sun lurker might have felt invalidated by your insistence that it must be some factor other than an 8th house Sun driving their desire to partner (which again, is not the case). And your seemingly superior remark that they are focused on partnership at the expense of self-development.
If 8th house phoenix feels invalidated, it's up to him/her to say so. I would welcome that, and welcome the dialog.

I never said they were focused on partnership at the expense of self development. I just had to read over my post, because I was very puzzled where you got that idea.

By "partnership vs self development," I meant that in some cases, a chart can show a predisposition for being in relationship along with a conflicting need to develop self in a more individual way. I'm not saying that's necessarily true for 8th house phoenix. I just suggested some possibilities. Partnership can itself be a context and vehicle for self development, and for some people, that's what they need... in fact, it's just as possible for a chart to show a strong predisposition to being very individualistic, with some conflicting need to develop more of a relationship orientation. That's why I said, "partnership or...."

Anyway, it seems to happen routinely that an 8th house Sun is closely involved with others outside of an exclusive intimate relationship, which you would be by becoming a natal astrologer, or a psychologist, or other areas where 8th house Suns are regularly seen. The key is that the 8th house is where one is intertwined with others, emotionally, physically, and/or financially (not necessarily via a romantic relationship, but often).
I've been thinking this whole discussion over, and seeing how so many of the transformative experiences I've had involved at least one other person who was very involved in helping me have them. Interestingly, all of those individuals I can point to match my seventh house: nurturing people (Cancer) with some very Saturnian trait (Saturn in the seventh). Each time, though, it was a very different Saturnian trait. One was a mentor figure, very strong on the "You can do better, so do what you're capable of, no excuses!" attitude, but also very understanding and gentle. One was a therapist, deeply committed and extra conscientious about boundaries. One was a romantic partner, also very nurturing, and good about allowing me space as needed.

What I don't have is a strong driving need to be in a relationship (it's nice if I have one, but not an identity crisis if I don't) or to be with someone (romantically or otherwise) all the time.

If a particular 8th house Sun doesn't relate to this, that doesn't change the meaning of the 8th house as 2nd from the 7th. Unfortunately you can't simply discard modern natal house meanings because you don't like them. Or create new ones based only on your personal experiences. Both of which are being done in this thread.

I don't see anyone discarding the meanings or creating new ones. Just adding interpretations of the basic eighth house meaning that may not have appeared in the books, based on our own experience. The basic meanings of the eighth house may be the same no matter what, but they can manifest in lots and lots and lots of different ways. There's no way any astrology book can cover them all. This may be even more true of the eighth house than of other houses, because it has such a stew of meanings that don't necessarily connect with each other on the surface. What do sex, death, other people's money, and the occult have in common outside of astrology?

To know the real meanings of the eighth house in people's lives, we have to take it from people who have the eighth house highlighted. That's what sharing our experiences is for. To get at the truth, we may have to sift through vastly different experiences that don't necessarily match what the books say about the eighth house, and we may find eighth house interpretations that work for us even if no professional said it did.