On the method of applying Sabian Symbology to Astrological Parts/Lots

piercethevale

Howdy 'ya all...

I had a realization, a few evenings ago, concerning the Sabian Symbols.

Many of you have probably noticed that I often mention that the symbology has to be taken literally as either a direct action, attitude, or frame of mind as the means by which to employ it in regards as to the nature of that particular Part.
If you'll study what Rudhyar did in his book on the Sabian Symbols wherein he wrote of how he perceived the entire cycle of traqnsformation, that the 360 symbols do illustrate, as being composed of two hemi-cycles in four "Acts" [as like that of a staged 'play'.] and each Zodiacal Sign is composed of two "Scenes" [again, as like the 'Scenes' in a 'Play']. Each "Scene" is comprised of fifteen degrees, specifically the first fifteen degrees and the second fifteen degrees of that Sign, and each Scene is comprised of three "Levels" and of five degree each.
Those three Levels, always in the same order, are as thus:
Level #1: Actional
Level #2: Emotional/Cultural
Level #3: Individual/Mental

I realized that is the answer as to how to employ a Part and was right there in Rudhyar's book all along.

The Part of Fortune for that natal chart I've submitted for consideration as to being actually that of the man known as Jesus/Yeshu'a of Nazareth, is in the 19th degree of Pisces and the Sabian Symbol for that degree is, "A Master Instructs His Disciple", and please note that the 19th degree of Pisces is the "First Level", of the second "Scene", of the Sign Pisces. [Scene Twenty-Three, as Rudhyar recognized and labled it... there are two Scenes per sign and Tweny -Four Scenes all together.]. As the first level is "Actional", then it was a direct and deliberate 'Action' on the part of the Man from Naz. in an endeavor to employ the Part of Fortune {...which, as I wrote above in the thread initiated by member Phoenix Venus, here in the Degree Symbolism sub-forum, titled "Part of Basis", that it is now a belief of mine that that this particular Part, the Part of Fortune, is about the Christ/Krishhna consciousness as you have been born to specifically need to be aware of, knowledgable of, to the consciousness of your own Soul/Spirit to achieve the most 'Fortunate' means by with to fulfill the life plan bestowed upon you by the Creator/Cosmos. ...those of you that have no belief in, or an aversion to the concept of, Christ or Krishna consciousness, just put it into the terms that you find appropriate to your own belief system or personally feel comfortable with....}

My own Part of Fortune is in the 25th degree of Leo and is also conjunct, in the exact same degree, the M.C. ...and as the M.C. is considered to be the "HOW" of the chart axis when applied spiritually, it is most auspicious to have ones Part of Fortune conj. their M.C. As the symbology for the 25th degree of Leo is; [ibid.]
"A LARGE CAMEL IS SEEN CROSSING A VAST AND FORBIDDING DESERT.

KEYNOTE: Self-sufficiency in the face of a long and exhausting adventure.

The camel here represents a living organism that is able to sustain itself independently of its environment at the start of a trying journey. (The original formulation of the symbol did not refer to 'a man on camel back.') The organism carries within itself what is absolutely needed for survival. At the deeper human level 'of consciousness it is easy to see the value of self-reliance and self-sufficiency as one enters the occult Path leading to a more dynamic and more inclusive realm of existence.
The camel carries water within its body, and it is said that the dromedary is able to utilize the matter stored in its large protuberance as food. The suggestion here is that in order to be released from bondage to the 'old world' we should be completely self-contained emotionally; having absorbed the mental food which this old culture has given us, we are ready to face 'the desert,' nothingness, Sunya . . . until we reach the 'new world.' We need TOTAL INDEPENDENCE from our surroundings and utter SELF-RELIANCE
",...

...I had been taking this to mean that I should think of the symbology as something I had to employ in an 'Actional' manner, but now I truly understand, because of my re-reading and paying closer attention to the writing of Dane Rudhyar, that this is of an "Emotional/Cultural" concept.

So, then, what does that mean as being different from an "Action", that I need to be ever conscious of and therefore applying in a manner of, as to either of the other two concepts that I have been stating as being the alternatives? As I had been stating, until presently, that those two alternatives as to employing the symbology as an "action", being either that of an "attitude" or, that of a "frame of mind" {I may have used other terms in addition to those over the years... and to be honest I can't recall if I have or not... but if so, I did at some point start using just those two...or, at least those have been the other two examples most of the time} I reckon that which I've termed as an "attitude", are those symbols that are to be found in the level of "Emotional/Cultural. Because an "attitude" seems to be more of an emotional state than purely a mental one.

I took a break, after writing the above, and as I was talking to my roomate about this new [as it is 'new' to me, anyways] understanding, or insight that I've now acquired, the thought came to both of us that the "Third Level" would best be served by the term "Individual/ Rational Mental", as both "Attitude" and "Frame of Mind" are emotional oriented terms, and realizing that the antonym of the word "Emotional" is "Rational". That leaves me with the possibility of re-titling the three levels, for simplicitys' sake, as:
Level #1 "Actional"
Level #2 "Emotional"
Level #3 "Rational"

...albeit that does seem to me to be rather too simplistic and possibly an incomplete summarization, or a somewhat inadequate one ... or does it?

Well, here's what I believe is a very good example, that I can present, to demonstrate good cause for the reason of my conclusions...and just so happens to be from my own natal chart.

As my I.C. and natal Moon are in the 25th degree of Aquarius which was interpreted, defined and summarized by Dane Rudhyar as: [ibid.]

"AQUARIUS 25*: A BUTTERFLY WITH THE RIGHT WING MORE PERFECTLY FORMED.

KEYNOTE: The capacity to develop the rational and fully conscious aspect of the mind ahead of normal evolution.

What seems implied is a kind of mutation, and more specifically the special development of whatever is symbolized by the 'right side' of the organism. Here, however, the spiritual body (the butterfly) is what the Image represents. A strong process of conscious individualization is suggested, perhaps at the expense of the instinctual-emotional aspect of the personality (its 'left side').

This last symbol fittingly concludes this sixty-fifth sequence, which began with 'A disappointed woman . . .' The five-fold set deals with the management of human energies at the emotional level; here management means overcoming — this, on the basis of negative or ego-challenging experiences. This fifth symbol refers thus to the results of a
TRANSMUTATION OF EMOTIONAL ENERGIES."

Well, I don't think I have to inform, or explain, to any of the Astrologers here at this forum that the natal Moon is the bestower of the "emotional energies" to a person... and as Rudhyar wrote, starting with his "Keynote", that "The capacity to develop the rational and fully conscious aspect of the mind... {and that} a strong process of conscious individualization is suggested, perhaps at the expense of the instinctual-emotional aspect of the personality {and that this}...deals with the management of human energies at the emotional level; here management means overcoming... {which leads to} ...the results {being that} of a TRANSMUTATION OF EMOTIONAL ENERGIES" please note that Dane Rudhyar polarized the concept of 'instinctual-emotional" with that of 'individual-rational', which I feel are better terms than those, of which, He did apply to the other two levels, he perceived, other than that of 'actional'.

What do all you members of the forum that have read the preceding have to say, though?

Comments, suggestions, thoughts?... all, of both emotional and rational origin, are welcome and sincerely invited.

Last edited:

piercethevale

I'm copying and pasting a post of mine from anothr thrad hrer in the degree sybolism sub-forum. Task master, aka Phoenix Venus Got me up off my easy chair and caused me totoil all the night and half the following morning.

This needed something far more definitively than just a loose set of guidlines togenerally go by.

While I would like different descriptive names for the three levels, I'll wait for them to appear.

...copied and pasted as follows...

For the time being let's, just see if we can, agree to the following explanation.
(In the following explanation please note that the term, "Astrological Part", refers to all Parts or Lots of any kind, i.e. Arabic, Trans-Saturnian or Hermetic.)
The Astrological Parts have been discovered to be "Symbolically Active", but that is only by the set of degree symbols known as the Sabian Symbols. The degree an Astrological Part, or Lot, is particularly found to be in will have an effect on you as to the affairs pertaining to that which the Part is titled as being in governance of.

If the Part, or Lot, is of a benificient nature and you desire the influence of all affairs associated with that particular Parts' title you must then, deploy yourself accordinly in a way that is harmonious to those affairs or, employ them through, or into your daily activites that are in relation to the same.

If the Part, or Lots', title is associated with affairs that you find to be maleific in their nature to you, then you must avoid, deploying yourself in any manner of way by in the make-up of your being or, employing it by any means of activity, that by which, you possibly could actually employ it in.

..and if it is the Part Catastrophe that is your concern, remember that it has been consistently shoing itself to be of affect on ones life regardless of what you may or may not do to avoid it...but also remember that being forewarned is to be forearmed and your goal then is to mitigate the circumstances concerning to the affairs governed by the Part to "soften the blow".
For example; as my Part of Catastrophe is in the 17th degree of Capricorn , and by Rudhyar's interpretation is, [ibid.]
"A REPRESSED WOMAN FINDS A PSYCHOLOGICAL RELEASE IN NUDISM.
KEYNOTE: The escape from bondage to social inhibitions and a reliance upon the wisdom of the body." {and his summation is} " RELEASE FROM INHIBITIONS", then I should best retain some degree of social inhibiton in my activites and if even let myself be completely inhibited if the consequences are severe for even the slightest regression.

If some finds that the 17th degree of Capricorn is their Part of Fortune or their Part of Sudden Advancement, then one should procede in the exact opposite as to that which is prescribed for myself in the paragraph above.
Those divisions in his concept are mostly terminology one finds associated with any "Play" of the kind that is performed on stage.
__________________________________________________ _

Heres an outline I assembled from the text of Dane Rudhyar's book on the Saian symbols, "An Astrological Mandala" of how Dane visualized the categorical breakdown of the Zodiac. It may help to find the degree of the Zodiac the Astrological Part of concern is found to be in and use that as a guide in applying or avoiding the affect of the Part

First off, Dane divided the Zodiac into two "Hemi-cycles", just as like the manner he saw the full monthly cyle of the Moon as being primarily composed of two half cycles.

Then of the full cycle He has it divided into four "Acts". Two Acts to each Hemi-cycle.

Each Act is comprised of three adjoining Signs.

Eact Sign is then divided into two "Scenes". The first fifteen degrees of each sign is one Scene and the second fifteen degrees is the next Scene.

Each Scene of fifteen degrees He divided into three "Levels" comprised of five degrees each.

The first level He labled as "Actional", the second Level, "Emotional-Cultural"
and the third Level as "Individual-Mental" and are always in that order and repreat in every "Scene" in the same order.

The first Hemicycle are the six signs of Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo and Virgo and the second Hemi-cycle contunues on with Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces.

Act 1 is comprised of the Signs Aries, Taurus and Gemini
Act 2 is comprised of the Signs Cancer, Leo and Virgo
Act 3 is comprised of the Signs Libra, Scorpio and Sagittarius
Act 4 is comprised of the Signs Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces

Aries consists of Scene 1 & 2
Taurus consists of Scene 3 & 4
Gemini consists of Scene 5 & 6
Cancer consists of Scene 7 & 8
Leo consists of Scene 9 & 10
Virgo consists of Scene 11 & 12
Libra consists of Scene 13 & 14
Scorpio consists of Scene 15 & 16
Sagittarius consists of Scene 17 & 18
Capricorn consists of Scene 19 & 20
Aquarius consists of Scene 21 & 22
Pisces consists of Scene 23 & 24

And remember that every Scene of 15° is comprised of three Levels
1. "Actional"
2. "Emotional-Cultural"
3. "Individual-Mental"
and are always in that order and repreat in every "Scene" in the same order.

First Hemi-cycle: "THE PROCESS OF INDIVIDUALIZATION"
ACT 1: DIFFERENTIATION
ARIES
SCENE ONE: DESIRE
SCENE TWO: POTENCY
TAURUS
SCENE THREE: SUBSTANTIATION
SCENE FOUR: CONFIRMATION
GEMINI
SCENE FIVE: DISCOVERY
SCENE SIX: EXTERIORIZATION
ACT II: STABILIZATION
CANCER
SCENE SEVEN: DECISION
SCENE EIGHT: CONSOLIDATION
LEO
SCENE NINE: COMBUSTION
SCENE TEN: RELEASE
VIRGO
SCENE ELEVEN: CHARACTERIZATION
SCENE TWELVE: EDUCATION
Second Hemi-cycle: "THE PROCESS OF COLLECTIVIZATION"
ACT III: GROUP-INTEGRATION
LIBRA
SCENE THIRTEEN: TRANSFIGURATION
SCENE FOURTEEN: RECONSTRUCTION
SCORPIO
SCENE FIFTEEN: COMMUNION
SCENE SIXTEEN: FAITH
SAGITTARIUS
SCENE SEVENTEEN: ABSTRACTION
SCENE EIGHTEEN: TRANSFERENCE
ACT IV - CAPITALIZATION
CAPRICORN
SCENE NINETEEN: CRYSTALLIZATION
SCENE TWENTY: GROUP-PERFORMANCE
AQUARIUS
SCENE TWENTY-ONE: CONTRIBUTION
SCENE TWENTY-TWO: MANAGEMENT
PISCES
SCENE TWENTY-THREE: FEDERATION
SCENE TWENTY-FOUR: PERPETUATION
__

In fact, that doesn't look too bad just as it is, Phoenix Venus, if you should happen to agree maybe I should post that, as the definitive, in the thread on applying the Sabain Symbolism to Astrological Parts... or if you think it'll work if you tweek it here or there, then please feel free to do so.

Phoenix Venus

Yup. The angles are very important in regards to their symbolism but you have to make sure the birth time is accurate. Progressions can be read with them, too.

For the angles, this is the symbolic format that we use:

Ac: who
Dc: whom-to
Mc: spiritually HOW you are moving from a.c. to dc
Ic: spiritually why you are moving on this path

(mc/ic there is some debate/speculation that the two meanings should be flipped from a mundane perspective.)

piercethevale

Yup. The angles are very important in regards to their symbolism but you have to make sure the birth time is accurate. Progressions can be read with them, too.

For the angles, this is the symbolic format that we use:

Ac: who
Dc: whom-to
Mc: spiritually HOW you are moving from a.c. to dc
Ic: spiritually why you are moving on this path

(mc/ic there is some debate/speculation that the two meanings should be flipped from a mundane perspective.)

As far as I'm concerned there is no debate. You do read them in reverse for a Mundane interpretation.

Dane Rudhyar only presented them in such a fashion ...although He alluded to the "spiritual intepretation method." As far as I know I'm the only person to have ever actually presented the "spiritual interpretation" method and I did it right here at AW forum.
As you well know Phoenix V., because you have been doing more than a fair share of the work involved, this spiritual method will be published in the revised edition of my book... or I should ay "Our book" as I am giving you co-authorship in the revised edition.

piercethevale

Do you take sabian symbol interpretations "literally" for angles too? And progressed degrees?

Yes, The Sabian Symbols (as described and commented on by Dane Rudhyar) should be taken quite literally as a spiritual precept.

For example, the Part of Fortune which is derived from the chart I contend is that of the man known as Jesus/Yeshu'a of Nazareth is in the 19th degree of Pisces and is given by Dane as "A MASTER INSTRUCTS HIS DISCIPLE".
That is obviously quite literal as to the very symbol itself.

The Part of Catastrophe derived from the same chart is in the 28th degree of Virgo and Dane's description of the symbol (ibid.) "A BALDHEADED MAN WHO HAS SEIZED POWER."
I know of no description of the Prince of Peace that ever described him as "bald headed' and know of no account which ever told of his actively and wantingly "seizing power" but when you read Dane's wonderful interpretation of the symbology it all becomes crystal clear why this Sabian Symbol for His Part of Catastrophe is to be taken literally. (ibid.) "KEYNOTE: The sheer power of personality in times that call for decision.
Whether at the religious or at the socio-political and cultural level there comes a time when obsolescent patterns of order and cultural refinement have to be radically and relentlessly challenged. Catabolic personages emerge to seize power and dictate decisions that alter the structures of society; or within an individual life, an intense urge for cathartic changes mobilizes the will, and traumatic decisions are made.
"

While the "power" He seized was only over the minds of those He spoke to He did certainly challenge obsolete, religious, socio-political, and cultural patterns that had to be ... and it all lead up to the greatest catastrophe of his life... a necessary one though. Everyone has a Part of Catastrophe and it will come in their life whether they try with all their effort to avoid it or not... it is a necessity that has been given to each of us by Divine decree. But to know it beforehand gives us the opportunity to mitigate it... or in the case of Yeshu'a/Jesus... as many say He knew what his ultimate destiny was to be all along...one can make the best use of it.

Whenever you are applying the Sabian Symbology remember to keep it in context to that which it is applying to.

Last edited: