Random Thoughts, strictly Text

david starling

No pictures or graphics allowed. Feel free to express your thoughts in words, without images or pictures. If you have pictures, graphs, charts, music, or even memes you'd like to share, post a link. Keep the text size to size 2 [keep text to the default text size - Moderator], and use caps or italics if you need to emphasize. No text art, or gibberish text art.

Last edited by a moderator:

conspiracy theorist

Memes are too amorphously defined anyway for you to really have any ability to limit their usage. It reminds me of that instance of some government official having no actual definition for **** but that, "He knows it when he sees it." I think you're working in a similar grey area with memes, and grey areas are where loophole masters reign.

david starling

Memes are too amorphously defined anyway for you to really have any ability to limit their usage. It reminds me of that instance of some government official having no actual definition for **** but that, "He knows it when he sees it." I think you're working in a similar grey area with memes, and grey areas are where loophole masters reign.

The :devil: is in the details.

GemwDepth

Account Closed
Yay new Ship! Funny how every new ship there is or will be, becomes popular quickly! :cool: Then the mini-me follows cuz they aren't got no life or parties of their own. :tongue:

conspiracy theorist

I used to be around the epicenter of where a lot of the memes originated and oftentimes, subversion was the name of the game. The analogy that has been used is that memes act as "cultural genes". Infection and seeding of mental influence.

Knowing the people on this forum, you've already lost if you're trying to "grip" memes.

Since we're on the topic, here is a book on memes that anyone who is interested can take a look at.

https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/SusanBlackmore-MemeMachine.pdf

david starling

I used to be around the epicenter of where a lot of the memes originated and oftentimes, subversion was the name of the game. The analogy that has been used is that memes act as "cultural genes". Infection and seeding of mental influence.

Knowing the people on this forum, you've already lost if you're trying to "grip" memes.

Since we're on the topic, here is a book on memes that anyone who is interested can take a look at.

https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/SusanBlackmore-MemeMachine.pdf

How did they end up being called "memes"? Sounds like the " Me Generation" x2.

conspiracy theorist

How did they end up being called "memes"? Sounds like the " Me Generation" x2.

The word was first coined in 1976. A definition that captures it's essence better than the attempts that I've seen recently on the forum is, " An element of a culture that may be considered to be passed on by non-genetic means esp. imitation."

The book was written in the late 90s. The author speaks about newsgroup taking shop by the name "alt.memetics". Online articles showing up during that time include 'The New Meme', 'Meme, Counter-meme', 'Memetics: a system of metabiology', 'Memes, metamemes and politics', and 'Cryonics, religions and memes' to list a few.

There's a modern day group of persons who speak about memes in the same way that I'd imagine that these groups did. It's on a fringe website and the group is referred to as the "bureau of memetic warfare"

Memes didn't just crop up in 2010.