Meaning of retrograde planets

obsidianmineral

This is a troll post right? When I’m being mugged or assaulted or shot for no reason I’ll remember these great lessons that could have saved me. But now that I had something miserable happen to me which made my life worse than it started, I feel more enlightened!

Saturn is great — to the people born under him. To the rest, well, that is another story.

This is not a troll post. You're being blind to the fact that life is hard, that anything can happen to you and if you're interest is to avoid danger then you should anticipate everything. Saturn does bad so it can be good to you. If you're being mugged or assaulted it's your fault. If you go out night and get assaulted then it's completely your fault because you knew that going outside has the risk of getting assaulted. Are you getting it now? 99% of the things that happen to us are a result of our own actions and yet people keep complaining about life being bad and everything being a result of bad luck. Without misery and bad events you will never learn that these things actually happen. Saturn is related to Aquarius which is absolute logic because everything has a consequence, meaning everything bad/good that happens is a result of something.

Traditionals keep saying Jupiter is the greatest, but think about the real effects fortune and luck has on people's conscience. Most of the time it makes them relaxed, unaware, excessively optimistic and makes them have a poor judgment of things. As Jupiter signs such as Pisces and Sagittarius promote fortune, they also damage reason and logic (Mercury's detriment). This is why Jupiter isn't all good, jeez.

Saturn is the one who will teach you the real things in life. I have observed a chart in the past of someone who got out extreme poverty and became a millionaire as a result of hard work, patience, learning and reflecting on their mistakes. They had to go through misery so they could become great. And if you saw their charts you would not see any dignified Jupiter. Their Jupiter is in Scorpio in via combusta, but Saturn was Stationary Direct trining Mercury in Taurus. They also had Mars conjunct the South Node in Aquarius. Traditional perspective can be so do-or-die that it fails to see that most of the people who've been successful have a good bunch of difficult aspects. Using the logic of traditional fatalistic astrology, you would've guessed that that person would have been no more than a wrong-doer, a thief, a beggar, etc.

What truly matters in the world is hard work, realism, patience and logic, as opposed to blind faith in everything.

Even William Lilly said Saturn was the supreme planet, the highest of them all. You say that bad things are bad because sometimes Saturn can be too harsh to make people learn, like lose a family member. But do you think that goodness is what has ruled over this world? In natural selection, the ones that survived where the ones that didn't die. No one was there to care for them when they were dying. They simply died and that's it, because that's how logic works.

Last edited:

D-Rok

FROM AN HELLENISTIC PERSPECTIVE
when a planet is in the interval of first station to second station
i.e. retrograde
the planet is "not fit to conduct its business"
because it is described as “walking backwards”
VETTIUS VALENS

IN CONTRAST

When a planet is making a Station
and/or phasis
it is not only capable of appearing but is also intensified
as Robert Schmidt of Project Hindsight says
Phasis means “making an appearance”
or
“sudden dramatic showing of something”.

It can also mean “something that speaks”
or
“an appearance that speaks”.

HELLENISTIC astrologers described a Retrograde planet as "walking backwards"
and therefore unable to conduct its business aka unable to work well.
EXCEPT under the special circumstances
when that planet makes a station
and is for example, stationary Retrograde
THEN that planet is intensified
because it is "making an appearance"
and "dramatically showing something
"
a stationary Retrograde planet

is dramatically drawing attention to something.
:smile:

This is really cool. I had heard of Phasis but I’m not well learned enough to be able to identify the difference between a planet that is stationing Rx and a planet that is...I guess just retrograde? Can you suggest a place or a book to read more about these?

As always, thanks for your input. Phasis and stationing — they are the same, right?

This is not a troll post. You're being blind to the fact that life is hard, that anything can happen to you and if you're interest is to avoid danger then you should anticipate everything. Saturn does bad so it can be good to you. If you're being mugged or assaulted it's your fault. If you go out night and get assaulted then it's completely your fault because you knew that going outside has the risk of getting assaulted. Are you getting it now? 99% of the things that happen to us are a result of our own actions and yet people keep complaining about life being bad and everything being a result of bad luck. Without misery and bad events you will never learn that these things actually happen. Saturn is related to Aquarius which is absolute logic because everything has a consequence, meaning everything bad/good that happens is a result of something.

Most hardships and dangers in life could be represented by Saturn or Mars (or their combination), so if we observe life under the slice of astrology, you can't just say that "life is hard", a more accurate description would be "Mars and Saturn make life hard". Saturn doesn't give a d_amn is the trouble it causes will teach you anything, it will keep bothering you and everybody else because that is its purpose. If you're smart enough, you can resolve the problem caused by Saturn and learn to never repeat it, but there wouldn't be any trouble to begin with if there were no Saturn. However, Saturn is the natural balance of Jupiter. There is no white without black, no yin without yang. The purpose of Saturn is absolutely natural and understandable, it is to balance Jupiter, the planet of optimism, philanthropy and wellness, with pessimism, misanthropy and misery. But it doesn't mean that I will love Saturn more just because I understand the necessity of this dichotomy. I don't think Saturn would care about my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

obsidianmineral

Most hardships and dangers in life could be represented by Saturn or Mars (or their combination), so if we observe life under the slice of astrology, you can't just say that "life is hard", a more accurate description would be "Mars and Saturn make life hard". Saturn doesn't give a d_amn is the trouble it causes will teach you anything, it will keep bothering you and everybody else because that is its purpose. If you're smart enough, you can resolve the problem caused by Saturn and learn to never repeat it, but there wouldn't be any trouble to begin with if there were no Saturn. However, Saturn is the natural balance of Jupiter. There is no white without black, no yin without yang. The purpose of Saturn is absolutely natural and understandable, it is to balance Jupiter, the planet of optimism, philanthropy and wellness, with pessimism, misanthropy and misery. But it doesn't mean that I will love Saturn more just because I understand the necessity of this dichotomy. I don't think Saturn would care about my opinion anyway.

Then Jupiter which makes people feel relaxed and careless at times is the only good thing in this world? If it were true then the signs of Sagittarius and Pisces would be perfect, and Jupiter would work well in every single sign. Mars has an effect on things going wrong in your personality and your mind, but the lessons are taught by Saturn. It's a transpersonal planet because he rules matters outside of your control, things that go beyond you. Mars can't affect those matters on its own as far as I know. He's not called the Great Teacher for nothing. If he really didn't care for anything then he wouldn't be able to make people masters of their fields. He's been said to be by traditionals a planet that can do people good with easier aspects and placements like trines and rulership, so you're contradicting yourself by saying Saturn only does bad and that's it. I know people whose Saturn transits have gotten them a better life, and it's because Saturn gives if you've done your part. So he actually does care.

Saturn doesn't come from nowhere and tell you that you should learn about the bad things in life cause you are already meant to be gifted with the capacity to understand such events. Life has given you intellect :)mercury:) , goodwill :)sun:), knowledge :)jupiter:), balance :)venus:), motivation :)mars:) and empathy :)moon:) for a reason. This is why Saturn is above all of the lower planets that come before it. At least, those are the main rules and factors that play in this world. This however may not apply for reincarnation or whatever comes after life, those are matters that belong to :neptune:, :uranus: and :pluto:

Edit:

If you're smart enough, you can resolve the problem caused by Saturn and learn to never repeat it, but there wouldn't be any trouble to begin with if there were no Saturn.

There's two ways in which this can be answered:

1. If there's no Saturn then there's no reality and time, as Saturn is meant to rule those things.

2. If there's no Saturn then there's reality and time, which are separate and still cause trouble to human beings.

Last edited:

D-Rok

Then Jupiter which makes people feel relaxed and careless at times is the only good thing in this world? If it were true then the signs of Sagittarius and Pisces would be perfect, and Jupiter would work well in every single sign. Mars has an effect on things going wrong in your personality and your mind, but the lessons are taught by Saturn. It's a transpersonal planet because he rules matters outside of your control, things that go beyond you. Mars can't affect those matters on its own as far as I know. He's not called the Great Teacher for nothing. If he really didn't care for anything then he wouldn't be able to make people masters of their fields. He's been said to be by traditionals a planet that can do people good with easier aspects and placements like trines and rulership, so you're contradicting yourself by saying Saturn only does bad and that's it. I know people whose Saturn transits have gotten them a better life, and it's because Saturn gives if you've done your part. So he actually does care.

Saturn doesn't come from nowhere and tell you that you should learn about the bad things in life cause you are already meant to be gifted with the capacity to understand such events. Life has given you intellect :)mercury:) , goodwill :)sun:), knowledge :)jupiter:), balance :)venus:), motivation :)mars:) and empathy :)moon:) for a reason. This is why Saturn is above all of the lower planets that come before it. At least, those are the main rules and factors that play in this world. This however may not apply for reincarnation or whatever comes after life, those are matters that belong to :neptune:, :uranus: and :pluto:

Yep you got it man

Edit:

1. If there's no Saturn then there's no reality and time, as Saturn is meant to rule those things.

2. If there's no Saturn then there's reality and time, which are separate and still cause trouble to human beings.

I never said that Jupiter is "the only good thing in the world" and I disagree with this opinion. Don't put words in my mouth. Any planet can bring something good, even Mars and Saturn, however, it works against their original purpose so if they give something good, it's occasional and short-termed.

If it were true then the signs of Sagittarius and Pisces would be perfect, and Jupiter would work well in every single sign.

Please define "perfect" in this context because we may have different understandings of this word here. No sign is perfect, in my opinion and I fail to see your logic here. I am talking about Jupiter, not about the signs it rules. Sagittarius and Pisces are the most fitting signs for Jupiter but they are not better just because of that. Jupiter always works for the better, however, when its resources are scarce, it has little to offer. By "resources" I mean the sign placement, the house placement, aspects from other planets, different accidental dignities/debilities etc. So Jupiter does indeed always work for the best (that's what I was trying to say) but its performance is dictated by many factors.

He's not called the Great Teacher for nothing.

I prefer to base my opinions on logic and reason, not on hearsay. If you favor the latter option, then so be it. I'm not saying I'm the only logical guy here, but that's not a valid argument on your part.

If he really didn't care for anything then he wouldn't be able to make people masters of their fields.

What fields, for example? Surely, people with prominent Saturn know how to deal with problems because Saturn exposes such people to them. But it's not the result of Saturn in itself, it's the result of other planets helping to solve the problems Saturn leaves behind. Saturn never brings easy success and it's never helpful on its own.

He's been said to be by traditionals a planet that can do people good with easier aspects and placements like trines and rulership, so you're contradicting yourself by saying Saturn only does bad and that's it.

Lol, that's ridiculous. Anything for a gotcha. When did I contradict myself? Just because I have my opinion which may even partially differ from the traditionalists'? Saturn can be good only if it is tamed. If it is dominated by Jupiter, for example, and is in its own sign, its abilities to inflict harm are diminished. This way it's not a destructive force. Saturn is at home in Capricorn and Aquarius because those are the signs of winter, so the soil where Saturn can grow is infertile. Cancer and Leo, however, determine the hottest time of the year during which Saturn has access to fertile soil and can do most harm.

I know people whose Saturn transits have gotten them a better life, and it's because Saturn gives if you've done your part. So he actually does care.

If you want to keep this as an argument, please elaborate. Because otherwise I can't do anything with this blanket statement.

It wasn't a question, but still, thanks for taking your time to answer it. Yes, Saturn rules time because it also rules old age. Things rot and deteriorate over time which is exactly what Saturn is responsible for. That is a part of the problem. Well, if there is no trouble from Saturn, there's still Mars. But the non-existence of Saturn is impossible from a philosophical perspective imo. As I stated previously, Saturn balances Jupiter. All planets are cut from the same cloth.

Now excuse me, I have to go to sleep now, but if you respond, I will read your post tomorrow and respond back. G'nite me. :sleeping:

UraSatVen1029

If you pay the highest of prices for anything then you absolutely deserve it. You're responsible for what you think, do and say and if it happens that the worst of things happen to you as a result of being careless or making any mistake, then that's on you, because it's your responsibility as a person to be careful. Saturn may be harsh, but do you honestly think that you would be able to learn anything if things were soft and fun? Absolutely not, this is why we need bad things to happen to us. When parents tell their children to not do drugs and to be hard working it doesn't work a lot of times because that's not Saturn. Saturn is a great planet because he's the one who makes the abovesaid children go through poverty and through misery so they learn why it's important to be hard working.

Accept there are lessons you will only learn if you're in poverty and going through misery. For example, having a terminal disease will teach you the value of life and of the beauty that's in life and that 99% don't notice in their ordinary life. There really is a good side to everything, that's my point.

This... was what I was thinking two months ago when I evaluated my learnings in Astrology. When I first started out, I was really frowning at the thought of Saturn being my chart ruler. Because of that, I found myself leaning towards my sidereal lagna, which is Sagittarius. Jupiter.

But Saturn in my chart has manifested itself in many different ways in my chart. Just like what you all said, lessons and unfortunate things had to happen, so that I could finally grow as a person. It was not just my ascendant being ruled by Saturn, it was other things as well. I know it makes me seem like a very whiny person to worry and complain about my Saturn placement, but it is just how I feel. I'm just concerned the more I really evaluate the meaning of my Saturn being in Rx, even with its sign and house placement as "detrimental" to the nature of Saturn. It may be me being my usual overthinking and pessimistic self... anticipating for more bad things to come. Which I'm not really proud of, tbh.

However, I do agree with all of the replies. Saturn is labeled as the Great Teacher for a valid reason. The balance to Jupiter. The one who has to bring "bad" things just so that you can learn. Karma. I've just started seeing the good side of Saturn. I still have a long way to go haha.

waybread

What if that retrograde planet is in its fall, in a house that is opposite to the ruler of their domicile (?) sign, and in a critical degree?

Example: my Saturn in Aries, 4th house, 29th degree.

Is it... really bad?

It depends upon whether you practice modern or traditional western astrology-- or a hybrid. In modern astrology, we recognize that people face all kinds of challenges in life-- some easier to address than others. But lives as symbolized by the horoscope are not intrinsically "bad." God doesn't make mistakes or punish infants by giving them wretched horoscopes, in my cosmos.

If you've got natal planet in opposition (by degree, not by house) to another planet, you've got a built in challenge. But a lot depends upon what the planets are. Venus, Jupiter, and the moon are a lot easier to deal with in an opposition than Mars, Saturn, or the modern outers. When the sun opposes Saturn, Saturn is always retrograde, and this is the kind of aspect likely to confer a lot of self-doubt about one's identity.

You've really got to look at the whole chart. If an opposition is balanced by a third planet making a trine to one planet and a sextile to the other planet, that's a whole lot easier to deal with than if the opposition is part of a T-square.

Do you want to post your chart.

Incidentally, 5 of my natal planets are retrograde. I have Jupiter in its fall and my Aquarian sun in detriment, and no major essential dignities. Yet I'm a senior, and I can say in hindsight that my life turned out reasonably well notwithstanding. So I don't think retrogradation is the kiss of doom.

obsidianmineral

After reading your response I only could see that you have failed to understand my point in relation to what you were saying, which has led you to make severe assumptions about my reasoning, taking them out of context, since they were including implicit information about the philosophical view you have on astrology and the way it works.

I am going to have to explain myself once again using what you said using explicit information, as you have demonstrated that you cannot understand implicit information and since you asked me to elaborate. We are discussing about Jupiter and Saturn. According to what you're defending:

"[...] There is no white without black, no yin without yang. The purpose of Saturn is absolutely natural and understandable, it is to balance Jupiter, the planet of optimism, philanthropy and wellness, with pessimism, misanthropy and misery. But it doesn't mean that I will love Saturn more just because I understand the necessity of this dichotomy. I don't think Saturn would care about my opinion anyway.

I assumed you stated this because Astrology is a pseudoscience that follows the criteria of creating harmony and balance of the planets in relation to the Sun, life and existence in the universe, as evidenced by countless sources that establish order, structure, balance and harmony between the planets, dividing the energies of the constellations and planets through the sky in 360 degrees, or in other words, a circle, which has a lot of meaning in ancient cultures as it represents whollyness and completion.

"Saturn doesn't give a d_amn is the trouble it causes will teach you anything, it will keep bothering you and everybody else because that is its purpose. [...] you can resolve the problem caused by Saturn and learn to never repeat it, but there wouldn't be any trouble to begin with if there were no Saturn."

What I drew from your statement was this:

1. Saturn does bad because its purpose is to be bad, there is no larger philosophy in the works here that justifies its actions on its own, as it relies merely on the existence of Jupiter, and even though you're really mad at me for putting words in your mouth which you didn't say, I'll assume the other planets also play a part in balancing the nature of Saturn.

2. Things would be better if Saturn weren't there, as, considering what you previously stated, his only purpose is to do bad.

and from this:

"[...] you can resolve the problem caused by Saturn and learn to never repeat it, but there wouldn't be any trouble to begin with if there were no Saturn."

Therefore:

3. Saturn is a planet or energy that has the capacity to do bad to humans and life, and his actions have no larger meaning than that, they cannot be taken as other than pure bad.

4. However, he does pose as a balanced energy when it is in contact with other planets.

But, why then

"[...] The purpose of Saturn is absolutely natural and understandable, it is to balance Jupiter, the planet of optimism, philanthropy and wellness, with pessimism, misanthropy and misery."

If you stated

"[...] there wouldn't be any trouble to begin with if there were no Saturn."

This implies Saturn, as an operative factor and on the consequences of its actions is valueless and bad, yet you admit that it creates a balance. And even so, fail to understand why this balance exists at all. I would suggest you to tell me exactly why you believe it creates balance if there's no good to it on its own. Wouldn't life be better if there were only Jupiter? Ultimately, if it creates balance and is needed to create such harmony with other forces, then you must get to the following conclusion:

5. Saturn is needed in order to create balance.

Now, before delving into specific descriptions of Saturn in order to understand better this evil or obscure energy, and before adding tints to its meaning, we'll explain what it means to create balance. I'm using concepts related to various philosophies such as ying yang, which you used yourself as a point of reference here

"There is no white without black, no yin without yang. [...] But it doesn't mean that I will love Saturn more just because I understand the necessity of this dichotomy."

And you are correct to use them, as they're very much the ancient concepts that are used in the creation and design of astrology.

Balance and harmony are concepts that originate from the realization of the nature of the events that occur in reality. Bad things (Saturn) and good things (Jupiter) are there so neither of them wins over the other. Good completes the meaning of bad and bad does that to good. It is this very neutral nature and characterization of reality that makes it meaningful.

So if Saturn can only be pure, trascendingly speaking, bad, then why would he play into a larger picture? Wasn't astrology based on balance and harmony?

The main conflict in what you are defending is that you fail to take bad as something deeper, and purely taken on its face-value

"[...] you can resolve the problem caused by Saturn and learn to never repeat it, but there wouldn't be any trouble to begin with if there were no Saturn."

Which is also the mistake made by the traditional astrology ideology on its entirety. If you yourself used the yin-yang philosophy as a reference point, then why would you take Saturn for its face value, considering the yin-yang reference is based on a deeper meaning?

6. The philosophy of bad and good is based on the idea that the existence of polar opposites is good

Therefore only what we view as "bad" and "good" together would create perfection. This would mean that bad is good in reality, because it actually plays into a larger purpose.

Which, in turn, means Saturn is good because it plays into a larger scheme. This also means Jupiter is good because it does the same and because Saturn exists in the first place.

Taking from what you said yourself:

And finally, the statement above is proven false as without Saturn/evil people would still have problems as Jupiter on its own would be bad. So, I'm assuming you don't even understand the very concepts which you used as a reference point.

After establishing the basic points and concepts of the whole balance between the two energies, we'll see what the basic meanings of Saturn are, so that we are to truly understand what it represents in human life, and how the whole yin-yang philosophy is modified by analyzing the role the planet of Time plays. Starting by its glyph, Saturn is represented by the crescent below the cross, which represents reality over the soul, a pointer which tells us the basic material nature of man and existence. Taken from skyscript:

"Saturn is known as Father Time, and is concerned with old age, boundaries, limitations, and death."
"[...] Saturn is a response to Jupiter's galloping boundlessness, as illustrated by the fact that Saturn is weak in Jupiter's strongest sign of Cancer and Jupiter is weak in Saturn's own sign of dignity, Capricorn. Without Saturn we would have no boundaries. If Jupiter is "yes," Saturn is "no," telling us when to stop and how to mature through learning the purpose of self-denial and delaying of gratification. Through Saturn we learn our limitations, the greatest of which is our mortality, and that we have a finite length of time in which to fulfill our life's purpose. Thus Saturn is the planet of ambition, goals, and achievement, as embodied in his feminine rulership of Capricorn. It signifies the qualities needed to reach our goals- not just fight (Mars) or luck (Jupiter), but hard work, discipline, and perseverance. "

By this reference we can conclude that Saturn represents time as a concept that creates limitations and consequences, just as the second quote asserts.

However, I am once again obligated to assume you failed to understand this as you said:

"It wasn't a question, but still, thanks for taking your time to answer it. Yes, Saturn rules time because it also rules old age."

So it is once again proven false, considering you're taking old age as a plain concept which is not related to limitations and restriction. You're claiming that Saturn rules time as a consequence of ruling over old age, when in reality it's the other way around.

Once again, by what you said here:

"Saturn doesn't give a d_amn is the trouble it causes will teach you anything, it will keep bothering you and everybody else because that is its purpose."

You take Saturn face-value as a bad thing, but then say:

"But the non-existence of Saturn is impossible from a philosophical perspective imo. "

So you are indeed contradicting yourself, you cannot say first that Saturn is just plain bad but then assert that its part of a bigger theme. Your mistake is to take Saturn for granted.

You say Saturn is bad for the sake of it, yet you don't even think for a second that he has another side to it even though it was established a long time ago that it was part of a bigger picture. This becomes an even bigger problem in your reasoning and arguments when you state:

"I prefer to base my opinions on logic and reason, not on hearsay. If you favor the latter option, then so be it. I'm not saying I'm the only logical guy here, but that's not a valid argument on your part."

So I think I agree with the fact that you imply you're not the logical guy here. You keep replying, trying to create valid arguments using points of reference and concepts which you don't fully understand (such as Saturn, evil, time, balance with other planets, the philosophy of their meaning, etc.), yet, in your own words:

"I prefer to base my opinions on logic and reason, not on hearsay."

I'll briefly clarify that he is called the "Great Teacher" for all the reasoning I've said before, starting from the basic yin-yang philosophy. I figure you can understand the rest for yourself.

Now, onto what you said later:

"I never said that Jupiter is "the only good thing in the world" and I disagree with this opinion. Don't put words in my mouth."

In the very same set of words you're declaring you don't take Jupiter for its face-value and understand that it is not a perfect energy, however good it may seem to be at first, and yet, you then take Saturn's and Mars's meaning for face value in:

"Any planet can bring something good, even Mars and Saturn, however, it works against their original purpose so if they give something good, it's occasional and short-termed."

So by saying "if works against their original purpose" you're completely rejecting the idea that they have deeper meaning. I won't say for the millionth time why this is wrong, I'll just go on to the next point after saying that by declaring that Jupiter is perfect according to you, I was paraphrasing what you were using as the basic concept of Jupiter, which is taking it for face-value.

"if they give something good, it's occasional and short-termed"

You're accepting the fact that they may do good, and you also said there's a philosophy behind it all, so this statement goes as far as to prove your lack of understanding of the subject, because if astrology is meant to create a perfect balance and it also accepts the possibility of the seemingly malefics Mars and Saturn creating fortune and success, why would then they be able to do that if it weren't for the fact that doing good is part of its purpose? You don't even understand why they may do good, even though you accept it happens. By the way, I'm surprised you've read this post up to this point, whoever you are.

~Domo arigatou Mr. Roboto~

"Lol, that's ridiculous. Anything for a gotcha. When did I contradict myself? Just because I have my opinion which may even partially differ from the traditionalists'? Saturn can be good only if it is tamed. If it is dominated by Jupiter, for example, and is in its own sign, its abilities to inflict harm are diminished. This way it's not a destructive force. Saturn is at home in Capricorn and Aquarius because those are the signs of winter, so the soil where Saturn can grow is infertile. Cancer and Leo, however, determine the hottest time of the year during which Saturn has access to fertile soil and can do most harm."

You say your opinion differs from traditional astrologers but you are clearly saying exactly what a traditional astrologer would think, as evidenced by what William Lilly says in the "Aphorisms and Considerations for Better Judging any Horary Question"

"If Saturn or Mars are significators and they are in their own house, exaltation, triplicity and in angular houses, they perform the thing desired."

And then by Guido Bonatti's 146 considerations:

"The 39th is, To consider if the Significator be in Reception; for id it be a Fortune, its signification will thereby be much bettered, and its impediment and mischief much lessened if it be an Infortune. "

And now let's go to the next thing you said:

"Saturn can be good only if it is tamed."

Your mistake here is to not know what 'good' means. Saturn is good on its own because bad is there to be learned from. I time and time again told you that without misery and misfortune people wouldn't learn, and that's the way Saturn is tied to the yin-yang philosophy or the astrological philosophy, because bad and good coexist so there can be harmony.

Mainly, Saturn is good in a deeper meaning because it can be a source of knowledge. In a larger perspective, bad becomes good and good becomes bad as there needs to be balance.

[...] "But it's not the result of Saturn in itself, it's the result of other planets helping to solve the problems Saturn leaves behind. Saturn never brings easy success and it's never helpful on its own."

Here I won't find quotes from traditionals saying that he does good on his own, even if he does, as they also make the mistake of taking it for face-value. I could provide you with many examples of people with malefics that afflict their charts and yet have become successful and made many goods, as William Lilly would have said, but it would serve no purpose as you would only insist on it being on the good influence of the benefics. So, in order to recognize what the cause for success has been in many people nowadays, I'll leave you with a speech by J.K Rowling where she speaks about very Saturnian things, such as depression and povery and consequently, the things she's learned from those things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UibfDUPJAEU

Since you asked me to elaborate, I invite you to do the same. Please do go on and reply to everything I said.

waybread

Woops. I should have rephrased that. Saturn is opposing Sun-Venus in 10th house. Sun and Venus are about 16 minutes apart. Another person told me it's considered a Cazimi, but the orb is debatable and varies with different astrologers too. So eh.

I would have been less worried if my Rx Saturn was not in Aries and 4th house. And maybe also if it had better aspects. Saturn is already like, bringing some delays and restrictions in my life, but to add that Retrograde influence it's like saying... it even slows down the progress all the more or something.

Jupiter is in Pisces 3rd house. I actually like the inward energy here. Yeah, it has that slow progress and indirect influence but the wisdom, spiritual and mental stuff that I process daily are insightful and expanding. A lot of re-evaluating happening here in my 2nd/3rd house. (lol it's at the end of my 2nd house but I consider it 3rd house).

A looot of people have Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto in retrograde though. Right? I came across a person with all of those in retrograde, including Mercury! Another one too, expect hers was Venus Rx. Both are interesting people as well. I keep reading how Mercury Rx can make the chart holder have difficulty expressing their intelligence and etc. and some claim that Mercury Rx can make one insecure of their own mental capabilities. Because it's not expressed the same way as the others with Merc direct. Hmm.

As one of the foremost living astrologers, Robert Hand, put it: the purpose of interpreting a horoscope is to help you to live your best life.

As yours truly would put it, if all that astrology does is to make us more anxious and superstitious than we were previously, then it's not a good hobby and should be discarded in favour of something more self-affirming.

Ideally the horoscope fits us to a T-- but warts and all, even the parts of ourselves we don't like. It's not about having only a weak sense of identity to begin with, and then hoping that the horoscope cookbooks will tell us who we are.

Why? because there are too many conflicting cookbook delineations out there. Read a sardonic one, and you may feel doomed for life. Read too optimistic a delineation, and you may overlook real challenges that you're likely to face. So it is also important to read widely and to become a connoisseur of what you read.

Natally I also have sun opposite Saturn. (1st house in whole signs, in the 12th with quadrant houses.) With Saturn retrograde (naturally,) the orb is getting tighter by progression. I spent my youth and early adulthood as one big bundle of nervous energy brought on by profound insecurities.

Saturn rules old age, so these actually eased up as I aged. I have (I hope) learned to see Saturn as my wisest teacher. Saturn teaches old-fashioned virtues like thrift, perseverance, deferred gratification, and hard work. Saturn teaches that disappointments will happen, but that we can learn to be strong in the face of disappointments. These don't sound like a lot of fun, but are hugely valuable guideposts for living a good life.

In modern, choice-centered astrology (the kind I practice) you won't change your horoscope, but you can choose and live into empowering interpretations, vs. disempowering interpretations.

Last edited:

waybread

Thanks JUP.

To add, a very good friend of mine mentioned that Queen Elizabeth (the longest ruling Monarch) has a pretty powerful Saturn in the first house. She became queen — due to Saturn — but also took her father at a very early age to do that.

Remember how I mentioned Saturn’s “equivalent exchange” similar to FMA? Yeah it’s like that. You get something, but you get something else (often of greater importance to you) taken away.

Like, would you rather have your dad, or would you rather be a queen? Personally, I’ve never been a ruler so I wouldn’t be missing much. But to lose my father would be...awful.

In the modern choice centered astrology I practice, each planet, sign, and house has multiple interpretations that are all nevertheless consistent with its core meanings. We have some say in whether we emphasize disempowering or empowering interpretations.

Traditionally, cold-dry Saturn got associated with things inimitable to growth and life. He makes things concrete. He restricts. Thematically Saturn rules disappointments. He can show where and how we feel inadequate, and not good-enough.

But Saturn also rules old age. Is that good or bad? It depends how you live it. It certainly beats dying at a young age. He rules rocky places. Good or bad? Not so good for farming, but maybe aesthetically beautiful for a good mountain hike.

What kind of person would we become if we had no idea how to face disappointments? Had no idea how to live on very little money when we had to? What if we had no self-discipline? No idea how to power through adversity or hardship?

Saturn's life-skills are tremendously valuable.

I've never found that Saturn extracts a toll. He tends to limit my potential for all-out optimism, but then I do know how to be happy, anyway.

Happiness, incidentally, is a choice, not an accidental gift.

waybread

Obsidian Mineral: you "got" Saturn. Great posts. We cannot imagine that adversity will never happen. We use Saturn's perseverance and patience to get through it, however. We cannot live our lives like happy-happy Ken and Barbie dolls who never get out of the cellophane packaging.

This is a troll post right? When I’m being mugged or assaulted or shot for no reason I’ll remember these great lessons that could have saved me. But now that I had something miserable happen to me which made my life worse than it started, I feel more enlightened!

Saturn is great — to the people born under him. To the rest, well, that is another story.

Being shot, assaulted or mugged seems more like Mars or Uranus. Maybe Pluto under certain circumstances. Let's get our malefics straight, please!:wink:

Last edited:
obsidianmineral,

[there was a really cool philosophical theory here but now I've decided to remove it, sorry]

Now onto responding to some of your points...

This implies Saturn, as an operative factor and on the consequences of its actions is valueless and bad, yet you admit that it creates a balance. And even so, fail to understand why this balance exists at all. I would suggest you to tell me exactly why you believe it creates balance if there's no good to it on its own. Wouldn't life be better if there were only Jupiter? Ultimately, if it creates balance and is needed to create such harmony with other forces, then you must get to the following conclusion:

5. Saturn is needed in order to create balance.

I never said that Saturn was "valueless and bad". You can re-read my posts right now. I only said, as you quoted, that Saturn creates troubles and obstacles. This is not the same as saying that Saturn is "valueless and bad". I described my philosophy above which explains why there is Saturn in the first place. I'm not exactly convinced that Saturn is needed in order to create balance, however, it's needed to keep the world as it is.

Bad things (Saturn) and good things (Jupiter) are there so neither of them wins over the other. Good completes the meaning of bad and bad does that to good. It is this very neutral nature and characterization of reality that makes it meaningful.

And I agree.

And finally, the statement above is proven false as without Saturn/evil people would still have problems as Jupiter on its own would be bad. So, I'm assuming you don't even understand the very concepts which you used as a reference point.

I don't understand how you came to this conclusion and you didn't prove anything. But like I said, anything for a gotcha. I'm afraid you're so keen on finding my inconsistencies (which you failed to present, unfortunately) that you don't care to read my posts properly and understand what I was trying to say.

So it is once again proven false, considering you're taking old age as a plain concept which is not related to limitations and restriction. You're claiming that Saturn rules time as a consequence of ruling over old age, when in reality it's the other way around.

Sorry, but you didn't prove me false. I didn't take "old age as a plain concept which is not related to limitations and restriction" and I don't know how you got that idea. What I do know, however, is that you didn't quote me entirely because in my post in the following sentence I said this:

Things rot and deteriorate over time which is exactly what Saturn is responsible for.

Deterioration has to do with limitations and restrictions because it shows that any object has an expiration date which is a limit itself. Clearly you didn't understand this, but your lack of comprehension doesn't prove anyone, other than you, false. I never said "Saturn rules time as a consequence of ruling old age", I simply stated that Saturn rules time and old age and showed the connection between these two things in a way that seemed reasonable to me (by using the word "because"). Perhaps it wasn't exactly clear for which I apologize.

So you are indeed contradicting yourself, you cannot say first that Saturn is just plain bad but then assert that its part of a bigger theme. Your mistake is to take Saturn for granted.

Ugh, I never said that Saturn "is just plain bad"! Stop making stuff up! As I said before, your lack of comprehension doesn't prove anyone, other than you, false.

So I think I agree with the fact that you imply you're not the logical guy here.

Facepalm... A good example of you saying something in a response to what I wrote and not even bothering to understand what I actually said in the first place.

So by saying "if works against their original purpose" you're completely rejecting the idea that they have deeper meaning.

Nope, that's just incorrect.

Last edited:

UraSatVen1029

I don't know if it's right for me to feel guilty for starting this intense discussion about Saturn, which is causing some misunderstandings here. But I do. I was whinning about my Saturn Rx and how bad it is.

I should just shut up and leave. ._.

obsidianmineral

I hope this showed that I don't really take anything in astrology at face value, as you've stated multiple times. Even if you disagree with my philosophical views (I would be glad to hear what you disagree with here), I still have my reasons to use them.

I see you haven't understood what I was telling you all throughout my post, since you didn't even reply to everything I said. The philosophy you are using, just in case you didn't notice, is a simplified version of what I've been saying, the only difference is that once again you're taking bad at face-value; making up stories about how it is all meaningful in a larger perspective but without going deeper into evil and good separately is absolutely pointless and is as valuable as someone who makes anything up about good and bad and then claims that it is the absolute truth (which is what you are doing right now).
"I'm afraid you didn't understand any of my points. There is a larger philosophy behind astrology in my opinion and Saturn, just like other planets, only plays its role. All planets are interdependent and one planet cannot exist without the other. There is a complex mechanism of planets which was set up millenia ago and hasn't stopped working (yet)."

You claim to take things not at face-value, yet you only explain that bad and good coexist because...

"[...]all planets have a purpose because they create the objective reality"

You're saying the exact same thing as before. Bad is bad because its purpose is to be bad. Good is good because its purpose is to be good. It seems you didn't understand what I was telling you, considering you didn't grasp the abstract points I made using the specific meaning of Saturn, such as its glyph and what it rules in relation to the yin-yang philosophy and then the analysis of why bad is there. You keep saying bad and good create objective reality and that's how it is, so basically you're creating an ideology that accepts those things, but that doesn't even go deeper into their meaning. So your mistake is not accepting that bad is there so you can learn from it and good is there so you can learn to not get relaxed. I already related those things to what Saturn, a material planet, means. At this point, I'm just gonna tell you once again read what I said, because it seems you didn't read how I proved that you were contradicting yourself and that the philosophy you are using is not the one that was used to design the balance and harmony of astrology. This is because Mars and Saturn may do good, because if they weren't able to do so then you still wouldn't be correct, because even if they did only bad you would still be able to learn from it. You claim your philosophy is not at face value yet you have failed to relate properly your concepts to why Saturn would be the highest planet, why would it be above Jupiter and the ones that come before it, other than because "that's how reality is", because you tend to use that excuse to absolutely everything.

What I'm saying is that you keep trying to create a point by saying "things exist because they do". It's pointless for me to keep going on about this discussion if you're not even gonna do the effort to

1. Reply to everything I said before

2. Use arguments other than "it exists just because", 'cause your philosophy seems quite empty and meaningless if you're gonna justify the existence of bad on the fact that it exists in the first place, heck, that's not even a reflection upon on reality, that's just stating reality.

I assumed you had the slightest capacity to understand my points, but since you didn't and this is probably gonna come up, I'll get to this point before you say it's the supposedly absolute refutation of what I'm saying

"We wouldn't exist if there were no Mars and Saturn, we would be ONE and nothing at the same time. But if there were no Venus and Jupiter, we would be split into an infinite amount of infinitely small particles and also cease to exist. Only with the help of all these energies the world can take the shape it does"

Your idea is based on something you completely made up. It's like justifying your idea on God or something alike. I mean, it's fine, it's just that my argument has more validity when you think about how misery and things alike have helped humans in natural selection to adapt, which could be seen as their bodies as adapting from mistakes. The death of millions of humans in natural selection was there so we could be so advanced now. That was my point, in case it was not clear.

"Deterioration has to do with limitations and restrictions because it shows that any object has an expiration date which is a limit itself. Clearly you didn't understand this, but your lack of comprehension doesn't prove anyone, other than you, false. I never said "Saturn rules time as a consequence of ruling old age", I simply stated that Saturn rules time and old age and showed the connection between these two things in a way that seemed reasonable to me (by using the word "because"). Perhaps it wasn't exactly clear for which I apologize."

I didn't quote the rest of your point because it didn't make sense to include more words that don't add up to anything else. My point was, once again, that Saturn is related to time because primarily time has logical consequences, i.e things being attracted to each other, things falling and every physical rule works under time, which is a way more abstract concept than just "things in the human world get old and stuff" which is still your point. Things having consequences ends up including old age and things deteriorating, once again I'll tell you that what you are saying is a simplified version of Saturn.

I would like you to read again what I said in my previous post and study it until you understand it. Also, please use more sources.

I see you haven't understood what I was telling you all throughout my post, since you didn't even reply to everything I said. The philosophy you are using, just in case you didn't notice, is a simplified version of what I've been saying, the only difference is that once again you're taking bad at face-value; making up stories about how it is all meaningful in a larger perspective but without going deeper into evil and good separately is absolutely pointless and is as valuable as someone who makes anything up about good and bad and then claims that it is the absolute truth (which is what you are doing right now).

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I understand you and realize where you're coming from, but that doesn't mean that just because of that I'm going to agree with your position. I don't think it should be difficult to understand, but I understand that it may be harder for some people. I didn't reply to everything you said because your post was very disjointed (you seemed to try really hard to keep it logical and organized, but sometimes only trying is not enough) and it was overly long. Since you implied previously that I lacked my own philosophical view regarding Saturn, I covered my idea and also replied to some of your points which I thought were worthy of attention (sorry, your entire post wasn't really worth a step-by-step reply). If you want me to answer some of your previous points, quote them and I'll reply.

No, I haven't noticed that my version is a simplified version of yours. I don't think it's true. In my version (which was somewhat influenced by Hegel's dialectics) I desribed the necessity of the dichotomy of separation (evil) and connection (good). I also explained that nothing is good or bad on its own. Here, if you didn't catch that, I almost explicitly state that Saturn isn't bad. It's the reaction of people to it that makes them view Saturn as a bad, evil, malefic planet. Please, show me where in your posts you've stated something similar. You seem to think that because Saturn's side effects are good sometimes, it stops making Saturn a bad planet. However, in my ideas I'm concentrated on the main purposes of planets which, in case of Saturn, is to separate, hinder, create obstacles etc. Also please show me where I claimed "that it [my "stories", as you put it] is the absolute truth". That is a blatant lie, actually. You ascribe something to me which I've never said. But I guess if you don't have a good counterargument, it's easier to use foul debate tactics like you've already done multiple times (refer to my previous post for more examples).

You're saying the exact same thing as before. Bad is bad because its purpose is to be bad. Good is good because its purpose is to be good. It seems you didn't understand what I was telling you, considering you didn't grasp the abstract points I made using the specific meaning of Saturn, such as its glyph and what it rules in relation to the yin-yang philosophy and then the analysis of why bad is there.

I am saying that planets are pure energies which can take many different shapes and forms when manifesting themselves in a physical world. However, they can't work on their own, so any person, any event, any question contains good and bad energy within themselves and one of those energies can be dominant. Yes, Saturn is bad because it is its purpose and I still have this opinion. I took your point about the Saturn's glyph and I believe it works well with my position. That is your direct quote:

Starting by its glyph, Saturn is represented by the crescent below the cross, which represents reality over the soul, a pointer which tells us the basic material nature of man and existence.

As I said before, my philosophy suggests that reality is the product of separation and that Saturn is the primary separator. This is how "the basic material nature of man and existence" is created. Without Saturn, as your interpretation of the glyph suggests, there wouldn't be anything material, and I concur. The soul, being eternal, is not a product of Saturn, while reality is, so reality over the soul it is. Your point about the Saturn's glyph actually proves my position to be correct. If you disagree, please show exactly what you disagree with and don't just say that I didn't understand it as you apparently like to do.

Regarding your yin-yang philosophy, I suppose you meant this (quoting from your post):

I time and time again told you that without misery and misfortune people wouldn't learn, and that's the way Saturn is tied to the yin-yang philosophy or the astrological philosophy, because bad and good coexist so there can be harmony.

Well, I've also time and time again told you that bad and good coexist so there can be harmony. So where do you expect me to disagree? Venus and Jupiter are yin, Mars and Saturn are yang. Balance is created when all of them exist.

You keep saying bad and good create objective reality and that's how it is, so basically you're creating an ideology that accepts those things, but that doesn't even go deeper into their meaning. So your mistake is not accepting that bad is there so you can learn from it and good is there so you can learn to not get relaxed.

The fact that you think that my "ideology" (which it isn't) "doesn't go deeper into their meaning" is simply your opinion. :smile: You're free to express it, but where does this get us? I could say that I think that your views on Saturn are shallow and lack real thought and comprehension of the subject you're talking about, but I think I'm above such childish arguments so I don't use them. Perhaps I should leave them to you. I think you can actually learn from bad things which are usually created by Mars and Saturn (particularly if you use your Mercury and Jupiter) because those bad things can reappear in the future and you have to be prepared for them. That's about it.

At this point, I'm just gonna tell you once again read what I said, because it seems you didn't read how I proved that you were contradicting yourself and that the philosophy you are using is not the one that was used to design the balance and harmony of astrology.

Isn't it funny how you keep making assumptions and fail every time because they are always incorrect? I did read the parts where, according to you, I was contradicting myself. You've never actually showed where I was inconsistent though. All you did was quoting me, making assumptions about my points because you couldn't or didn't want to understand them and then proving (if I can call it proving) why your own assumptions were incorrect. If you reread my previous post, you'll see there that I showed multiple times the places where you thought I was incorrect because you deduced the wrong premise from my points. If you still can't understand it, I really can't do much about it.

At this point, I'm just gonna tell you once again read what I said, because it seems you didn't read how I proved that you were contradicting yourself and that the philosophy you are using is not the one that was used to design the balance and harmony of astrology. This is because Mars and Saturn may do good, because if they weren't able to do so then you still wouldn't be correct, because even if they did only bad you would still be able to learn from it.

I'm sorry to say that but neither of us knows what philosophy "was used to design the balance and harmony of astrology". All we're left with is assumptions and logical conclusions based on what we already know. Mars and Saturn MAY do good, but NOT on their own. You can learn from bad but only to fight bad later which is, again, created by Mars and Saturn.

You claim your philosophy is not at face value yet you have failed to relate properly your concepts to why Saturn would be the highest planet, why would it be above Jupiter and the ones that come before it, other than because "that's how reality is", because you tend to use that excuse to absolutely everything.

You never asked my opinion about why Saturn is the highest planet so I didn't bother mentioning it. But it's pretty easy, actually. Saturn is the last (traditional) planet, being in the last celestial sphere, and this way it creates the limit. There is nothing relevant to us behind Saturn (traditionally speaking, stars have a different context here) so it puts the end. Which is exactly what Saturn does. It draws the circle of our existence and nobody can go further than that.

It's pointless for me to keep going on about this discussion if you're not even gonna do the effort to

1. Reply to everything I said before

2. Use arguments other than "it exists just because", 'cause your philosophy seems quite empty and meaningless if you're gonna justify the existence of bad on the fact that it exists in the first place, heck, that's not even a reflection upon on reality, that's just stating reality.

I've already said why I won't reply to everything you wrote before. If you want me to answer something specifically, I'll gladly clear up any confusion regarding my position you have.

I've never used such arguments as "it exists just because". Please provide any quote where I said this or something similar. As I said before, if my philosophy seems "quite empty and meaningless" to you, it is simply your opinion. :smile: I won't be attempting to change it. I do not "justify the existence of bad on the fact that it exists in the first place" and never have, so you seem to have not understood my points once again.

Your idea is based on something you completely made up. It's like justifying your idea on God or something alike. I mean, it's fine, it's just that my argument has more validity when you think about how misery and things alike have helped humans in natural selection to adapt, which could be seen as their bodies as adapting from mistakes. The death of millions of humans in natural selection was there so we could be so advanced now. That was my point, in case it was not clear.

Yes, that is my philosophy which I use and which makes sense to me. I shared it so you could understand where I'm coming from better, but it seems that my attempt was a failure (disappointed, but not surprised). "Misery and things alike" is what Saturn rules over, so by learning from this via Mercury and Jupiter, people can adapt to the further negative expression of Saturn. Regarding your second example, people were not advanced originally because Saturn prohibited them to be advanced. Generations after, Saturn is still here doing its own thing, but people have experience and know how to deal with Saturn's restrictions better. That was my point, in case it was not clear.

My point was, once again, that Saturn is related to time because primarily time has logical consequences, i.e things being attracted to each other, things falling and every physical rule works under time, which is a way more abstract concept than just "things in the human world get old and stuff" which is still your point. Things having consequences ends up including old age and things deteriorating, once again I'll tell you that what you are saying is a simplified version of Saturn.

MY point was, once again, that Saturn is related to time because time is the limit and Saturn rules limits. With time things get older, rot and deteriorate, which are the spheres also controlled by Saturn. Once again, I'll tell you that no matter how many times you're going to repeat that my points are a simplified version of yours, it won't become correct all of a sudden.

I would like you to read again what I said in my previous post and study it until you understand it. Also, please use more sources.

Perhaps you're right, I should use more sources. For now I recommend you to listen to the words of this wise astrologer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ The video is quite old but I hope it's not a problem.

Last edited:

waybread

I don't know if it's right for me to feel guilty for starting this intense discussion about Saturn, which is causing some misunderstandings here. But I do. I was whinning about my Saturn Rx and how bad it is.

I should just shut up and leave. ._.

Heavens, no. A lively debate isn't a bad thing.

When you have a moment, see whether my posts (above) give you any news you can use.

JUPITERASC

This is really cool. I had heard of Phasis
but I’m not well learned enough to be able to identify the difference
between a planet that is stationing Rx
and a planet that is...I guess just retrograde?
Can you suggest a place or a book to read more about these?

As always, thanks for your input.
Phasis and stationing — they are the same, right?
Explanation of 'phasis' according to Robert Schmidt

CONDITIONS RELATIVE TO SUN :smile:

When a planet is in the interval from heliacal rising up to first station
or from second station up to the heliacal setting
the planet is capable of appearing
and therefore
is in a place conducive to the conduct of its business .

THE HELIACAL RISING OF A STAR

or other body such as the moon, a planet or a constellation
occurs when it first becomes visible above the eastern horizon
for a brief moment just before sunrise,
after a period of time when it had not been visible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliacal_rising

When a planet is making a Station and/or phasis
it is not only capable of appearing but is also intensified

PHASIS DESCRIBES A PLANET MAKING A HELIACAL RISING

i.e.
rising before the sun

standardized to 15 degrees by Hellenistic astrology
within 7 days before OR after native’s birth.

Rumen Kolev one of a few living practitioners of Ancient Babylonian Astrology
http://www.babylonianastrology.com/

based on his own observations of the skies
states that the 15º standardisation is obviously
a variable dependent upon local conditions.

http://www.projecthindsight.com/index1.html
http://www.projecthindsight.com/products/sourcebook.html