ADD/ADHD Natal Charts

Osamenor

Staff member
I'm severely ADD, but I think I might be a Gemini 4. June 9, 1983... is there any hope for me? I've tried meditation and don't want to take medicine. It's hard to finish any task

The main purpose of this thread is to compare charts of people with ADD. If you would please post yours, that would be a great contribution to the discussion. That would also make it possible to give you astrology-based advice, if that's what you want. If, however, you want to have a discussion focused on you, it would be better to start a new thread.

People with ADD are, I've found, great about sharing what works for them... but the only consistency with ADD is inconsistency. What works for one person may not work for another, even if their diagnoses are the same... and what works for one person may not work for that same person at a different time in their life.

Do you know how to post a chart to the forum? Instructions are here: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

Last edited:

docker

I suspect I have ADD. I have never been diagnosed and until recently didn't suspect it because I don't have issues with hyperactivity, only attention and anger control. Anyway, I thought my chart might be of use.

Uranus in square with your mars in 3rd house produces lot of nervous tension (anger control problem) in your brain plus moon, ruler of the cerebral 3rd house receives a square from Neptune (attention problem) which gives you the touch of daydreaming. I am wondering where is your Chiron! Mercury as the natural ruler of the 3rd is under high developmental tension from Saturn and Pluto.

Last edited:

Witchyone

Uranus in square with your mars in 3rd house produces lot of nervous tension (anger control problem) in your brain plus moon, ruler of the cerebral 3rd house receives a square from Neptune (attention problem) which gives you the touch of daydreaming. I am wondering where is your Chiron! Mercury as the natural ruler of the 3rd is under high developmental tension from Saturn and Pluto.

Chiron is in Aries.

I also have a Moon, Mars, Pluto Yod.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.25.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.25.02 AM.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 74

Witchyone

I only learned about the concept of the Yod recently, but the definition is more nuanced than that. I've found quite a number of resources on it and have found them quite useful in explaining some intractable issues I've experienced all my life.

I have found The Yod Book especially insightful.

Osamenor

Staff member
Amongst those who uploaded charts: check out the moons involved in t-squares

I just noticed another commonality: every single one of the charts posted in this thread so far has a Uranus/sun aspect. In mine, they didn't draw the line, but it is a sextile with a 7 degree orb, and the sun casts the widest orbs. All the others have Uranus either square or trine the sun.

tenacapcious

I just noticed another commonality: every single one of the charts posted in this thread so far has a Uranus/sun aspect. In mine, they didn't draw the line, but it is a sextile with a 7 degree orb, and the sun casts the widest orbs. All the others have Uranus either square or trine the sun.

I haven't read through the whole thread. I just wanted to comment on this. While it's just anecdotal, the one person in my life whom I know has ADHD (it's not easy to get a diagnosis in my country, it's a lengthy process) is a minor so I won't post his chart but he has Sun sq. Uranus and I've never seen another person with as many squares as he has.

Aside from astrology, his oldest brother has Autism (also not a diagnosis casually given out here) and mental disabilities (that's what that whole umbrella of diagnosis' are called here, I'm not here to argue about that) seem to run in the family and in older generations, there are accounts of relatives that would've probably been diagnosed today, though Autism is more commonly seen in the family than ADHD or any of the other umbrella diagnosis'.

I've counted a couple of times to make sure I'm right, but he has 10 squares to his personal planets. I don't know if that's uncommon, I just haven't seen it before and I've no idea if that alone can be an indicator of ADHD or the likelihood of one falling under the diagnostic criteria for one of the other umbrella diagnosis'.

Mercury is involved in 3 of the squares and is the personal planet involved in most of the Squares.

I'm editing after two distracting phone calls. I don't know if I mentioned that I'm the mother of the minors mentioned and I still don't want to share much more than what I have here. I certainly won't post their charts. They have one more brother and he has no diagnosis/neurotypical and like me and the oldest he has 6 squares, but no Sun/Uranus aspects. It's only the son with ADHD who has a Sun/Uranus aspect.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Thanks for sharing, tenapcious.

Does your son with ADHD also have the moon in a t-square, grand cross, or grand trine? That's another pattern that seems to be emerging here: all of the ADHD charts posted so far have at least one of those complex aspects involving the moon.

I'm starting to formulate a theory that if the moon is in a t-square or grand cross, or a grand trine, or both, and the sun is in an aspect with Uranus, ADHD becomes likely. Neurotypical people can have those chart factors, too, of course, but what's the probability of having both in the same chart? Does it correlate with the percentage of the population who have ADHD (or maybe autism spectrum disorders)? Is it perhaps something that manifests as ADHD for some people but not all?

tenacapcious

Thanks for sharing, tenapcious.

Does your son with ADHD also have the moon in a t-square, grand cross, or grand trine? That's another pattern that seems to be emerging here: all of the ADHD charts posted so far have at least one of those complex aspects involving the moon.

I'm starting to formulate a theory that if the moon is in a t-square or grand cross, or a grand trine, or both, and the sun is in an aspect with Uranus, ADHD becomes likely. Neurotypical people can have those chart factors, too, of course, but what's the probability of having both in the same chart? Does it correlate with the percentage of the population who have ADHD (or maybe autism spectrum disorders)? Is it perhaps something that manifests as ADHD for some people but not all?

I'm not good at recognizing shapes. His main hard aspects are Moon sq. mercury, Moon opp. Uranus and Moon opp. Mars. I think his Mercury might be involved in a T-Square. The Moon isn't involved in any trines or trine shapes.

I just managed to log into an old astro.com account and according to Pullen there's a t-square involving Mercury-Moon-Mars. There's a total of 4 t-squares. 3 of the t-squares involve Mars and Jupiter. I'm just throwing out random stuff that may or may not be relevant for anything.

Very interesting questions. I apologize for not being on here consistently, but I'll try to make more of a point of logging on this week.

Osamenor

Staff member
I'm not good at recognizing shapes. His main hard aspects are Moon sq. mercury, Moon opp. Uranus and Moon opp. Mars. I think his Mercury might be involved in a T-Square. The Moon isn't involved in any trines or trine shapes.
If his Mercury also squares Uranus and/or Mars, that's a t-square. Moon is involved because it's opposite Uranus and Mars and also squared by Mercury. The definition of a t-square is two planets in opposition with a third planet squaring both of them. So another chart with a Uranus/sun aspect and moon in a t-square!

Witchyone

Hi. I was reminded of this thread in another thread. I wanted to come back and let you know that I was tested for ADD, and I do not have it. Attention isn't my issue.

Osamenor

Staff member
Hi. I was reminded of this thread in another thread. I wanted to come back and let you know that I was tested for ADD, and I do not have it. Attention isn't my issue.

How were you tested?

Attention isn't always the issue. Attention deficit is kind of a misnomer. Sometimes people are told they don't have it because they pay attention fine during the testing, but that's a controlled environment, and when you spent your childhood going to school, you're conditioned to pay attention in that kind of controlled environment.

Witchyone

How were you tested?

Attention isn't always the issue. Attention deficit is kind of a misnomer. Sometimes people are told they don't have it because they pay attention fine during the testing, but that's a controlled environment, and when you spent your childhood going to school, you're conditioned to pay attention in that kind of controlled environment.

It was definitely a controlled environment. I was given a series of tests that are supposed to screen for Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. They didn't tell me how the tests would do that or why. I found myself getting very bored during the tests as they were very repetitive, but I scored the opposite of how someone with ADD should score according to my psychiatrist. She said that I scored as someone who has advanced ability to see patterns and stay attentive and focused.

Osamenor

Staff member
It was definitely a controlled environment. I was given a series of tests that are supposed to screen for Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. They didn't tell me how the tests would do that or why. I found myself getting very bored during the tests as they were very repetitive, but I scored the opposite of how someone with ADD should score according to my psychiatrist. She said that I scored as someone who has advanced ability to see patterns and stay attentive and focused.

If that's the only testing you had, it doesn't rule out ADD at all. Advanced abilities of some kind are very common in ADD people. If this was something that drew your attention--anything you're good at is likely to, and sometimes repetitive does that, even if you're finding it boring--you could have gone into hyperfocus, which is also an ADD trait.

It would be much more revealing if the tests included self assessment and an assessment of you by a parent if you have one available to do it. That would give a much better sense of how you actually function, what it's like for you in the real world where you have lots of different tasks and distractions and priorities to sort out.

Witchyone

If that's the only testing you had, it doesn't rule out ADD at all. Advanced abilities of some kind are very common in ADD people. If this was something that drew your attention--anything you're good at is likely to, and sometimes repetitive does that, even if you're finding it boring--you could have gone into hyperfocus, which is also an ADD trait.

It would be much more revealing if the tests included self assessment and an assessment of you by a parent if you have one available to do it. That would give a much better sense of how you actually function, what it's like for you in the real world where you have lots of different tasks and distractions and priorities to sort out.

Both my therapist and psychiatrist seemed very skeptical that I have ADD.

I read my baby book when I was home recently, which my mother kept dutifully filled in for the first few years of my life. She noted around my second birthday that I was able to easily pick up most things, but any time I encountered something that wasn't immediately easy to me, I would tantrum. I still must fight that urge. Not sure how/if this relates to the topic.

Horus

Pisces, Neptune and the 12th House are the main items to consider for ADD, IMO. As possible astro factors I have:

• H12 Moon in Sagittarius
  • Moon conjunct Neptune (out of sign and kind of a wide orb at 8+°)
  • Neptune squaring the Nodes
  • Mercury opp Saturn
  • Pisces on the H3 cusp -the Mercurial house
  • H3 co-ruler Jupiter afflicted by Saturn.

Here's what Steven Forrest wrote about natal planets "navigating" the 12th House in The Inner Sky:

Unsuccessfully navigated: Blurry,confused, uncertain self-image. Escapism: abusive, self-destructive relationships with alcohol, food, sleep, sex, television, and other "drugs". Hypersensitivity, mental imbalance, schizophrenia. Chronic "bad luck".

Successfully navigated: Self-transcendence, freedom from worry about the ups and downs of life. Spiritual and psychic experiences. Sense of the "presence of God", or of higher levels of consciousness.

People Ive known with H12 Suns and Mercuries especially have had "blurry" and impaired mental function. Regular meditation helps to better navigate this house.

And here's what Forrest wrote of Neptune square the South Lunar Node from Yesterday's Sky:

What Was Left Unresolved: A "blurred" state of the ego function, leaving the soul wide open to dangerous influences in the present, and general loss of momentum, focus, and vision.

The Resolution: A need to enter into a right and healthy relationship with some kind of spiritual practice. Such practice may look "religious" but as easily it could involve harnessing creativity. Visionary experiences, independent of outside circumstances and observers, resolve the blockage.

Osamenor

Staff member
Pisces, Neptune and the 12th House are the main items to consider for ADD, IMO. As possible astro factors I have:

• H12 Moon in Sagittarius
  • Moon conjunct Neptune (out of sign and kind of a wide orb at 8+°)
  • Neptune squaring the Nodes
  • Mercury opp Saturn
  • Pisces on the H3 cusp -the Mercurial house
  • H3 co-ruler Jupiter afflicted by Saturn.

Wow, Horus, I have most of those, too!

H12 moon in Saggitarius, check.

Moon conjunct Neptune, check, although my conjunction is in sign and a closer orb.

Pisces on H3 cusp, check.

Jupiter afflicted by Saturn, check--I have Jupiter and Saturn squared, Saturn being the focal point of a t-square (other planet involved is Uranus). Jupiter is stronger, though, at least by traditional definitions: it's right on my IC and grand trines my sun and moon. And, I recently found out that Jupiter is always stationary when it trines the sun, and stationary Jupiter is extra powerful--so even though it appears in my chart as retrograde, don't be fooled!

I don't have any aspect between Mercury and Saturn (unless you consider an out of sign semi-sextile), and I don't have Neptune square nodes. However, I do have Neptune square Venus, which is my south node ruler.

Osamenor

Staff member
Both my therapist and psychiatrist seemed very skeptical that I have ADD.
Does your therapist and/or your psychiatrist have ADD, or have a family member who does? If not, their only experience with it is professional, and people who don't see it up close and personal are not the best ones to recognize it. If they think they can diagnose you with a battery of tests and no self assessment, no family assessment, and no looking at your school records (any good diagnosis includes an examination of school records if they're available--that's also very telling), I would question their judgment.

I read my baby book when I was home recently, which my mother kept dutifully filled in for the first few years of my life. She noted around my second birthday that I was able to easily pick up most things, but any time I encountered something that wasn't immediately easy to me, I would tantrum. I still must fight that urge. Not sure how/if this relates to the topic.
Could be a sign of intelligence, picking up most things so easily that it was especially difficult for you to accept something not being easy. That in and of itself doesn't prove or disprove you having ADD, but it does say something about your cognitive functioning.

The important questions in an ADD assessment, though, would be about you at school age and up. Before school age, ADD is usually not identifiable, except maybe in extremely hyper children, and even then, the professionals aren't so ready to diagnose it. School age is when it's most likely to be identifiable, when you're suddenly asked to pay attention and complete your work and self regulate. Even if you weren't identified as having ADD at the time, a look at your school records, and especially at the kinds of comments your teachers made, would tell us a lot in hindsight.

When I was diagnosed, I remember doing a self assessment, and since my mom was nearby, the psychiatrist had me give her a form to fill out about what I was like as a child. She was not to discuss it with me so as not to affect her assessment, and I never saw the form myself, I gave it back to him in a sealed envelope. But, based on my assessment and my mom's and everything else (I don't remember what else was involved, just that there was something), he made the diagnosis.

Witchyone

Does your therapist and/or your psychiatrist have ADD, or have a family member who does? If not, their only experience with it is professional, and people who don't see it up close and personal are not the best ones to recognize it. If they think they can diagnose you with a battery of tests and no self assessment, no family assessment, and no looking at your school records (any good diagnosis includes an examination of school records if they're available--that's also very telling), I would question their judgment.

Could be a sign of intelligence, picking up most things so easily that it was especially difficult for you to accept something not being easy. That in and of itself doesn't prove or disprove you having ADD, but it does say something about your cognitive functioning.

The important questions in an ADD assessment, though, would be about you at school age and up. Before school age, ADD is usually not identifiable, except maybe in extremely hyper children, and even then, the professionals aren't so ready to diagnose it. School age is when it's most likely to be identifiable, when you're suddenly asked to pay attention and complete your work and self regulate. Even if you weren't identified as having ADD at the time, a look at your school records, and especially at the kinds of comments your teachers made, would tell us a lot in hindsight.

When I was diagnosed, I remember doing a self assessment, and since my mom was nearby, the psychiatrist had me give her a form to fill out about what I was like as a child. She was not to discuss it with me so as not to affect her assessment, and I never saw the form myself, I gave it back to him in a sealed envelope. But, based on my assessment and my mom's and everything else (I don't remember what else was involved, just that there was something), he made the diagnosis.

Were you diagnosed as an adult or a child? I think they didn't go very far with the assessment because they don't think ADD is my problem, so they feel it's a waste of time to further explore it. At this point, I'm not sure what good it would do me to have the diagnosis. I'm functioning fine and staying within acceptable social limits of behavior. :tongue: I thought you might want to know if you're keeping track of placements.

I'm not sure I agree that one has to have the diagnosis themselves to give it. Would you say that about other mental illness, like bipolar or schizophrenia?

Osamenor

Staff member
Were you diagnosed as an adult or a child?
I was 19. Legally an adult, but not really living in the adult world yet.
I think they didn't go very far with the assessment because they don't think ADD is my problem, so they feel it's a waste of time to further explore it. At this point, I'm not sure what good it would do me to have the diagnosis. I'm functioning fine and staying within acceptable social limits of behavior. :tongue: I thought you might want to know if you're keeping track of placements.
The important thing is that you know what you need.

Does the experience of ADD people resonate for you? For me, it did, very strongly, when I first heard about it (through the book Driven to Distraction, which was the very first one aimed at the average reader that covered both child and adult ADD and got a wide readership). That was really how I knew, and what prompted me to seek a diagnosis. Getting the diagnosis only validated my life experiences.

I'm not sure I agree that one has to have the diagnosis themselves to give it. Would you say that about other mental illness, like bipolar or schizophrenia?

I didn't say they would have to have the diagnosis themselves to give it. My point was that the best professionals to work with ADD are those who have personal experience with it, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the experience of having it themselves. If they have a family member with it, that's personal experience. Some sense of what it actually looks like in real life, outside the office, which is a very controlled setting. People who don't have that experience are much more prone to not believing it even exists, than people who have seen it firsthand.

That doesn't mean practitioners whose only experience with ADD came from their practice can't make the diagnosis, just that they're more likely to dismiss it and less likely to cover the bases on testing.