Sun square North Node

espi3479

What would it mean having the Sun and North Node in a hard aspect.?

Mine: sun in Sagittarius in the 1st house
And North Node in Virgo in the 9th house

Osamenor

Staff member
I wonder the same thing. I also have a square between my sun and my nodes. And no, it's not as simple as connecting with famous people and not knowing them!

South nodes are the karmic past, and north nodes are the karmic future. Sun is core personality. The growth of the core personality is what the sun's placement in the chart indicates, how it should happen, in what direction. South nodes are what you're growing away from, and north nodes are what you're growing towards. If sun squares nodes, that suggests friction between the growth of the self and what it's growing away from and what it's growing toward. At least, that's how I understand it.

Interestingly, espi, you and I both have a sun/north node square between a sign and its native house. You have the sun in Sagittarius and the north nodes in the ninth house, which is the native house of Sagittarius, and I have the north nodes in Scorpio and the sun in the eighth house, which is the house of Scorpio. I also have a house/native sign square with the south nodes: my sun is in Leo, and my south nodes are in the fifth house, which is the house of Leo.

Lin

All squares represent conflict.
Study the characteristics and traits of the Sagi, and then of the polarity of Virgo-Pisces.
You will see there is a lot of conflict in the core 'traits' of each.

If you have other squares and hard aspects involving mutable signs, this issue will take on a bigger meaning. If not, then study the nodes by themselves.
And study your chart without too much emphasis on the nodes.
As you get to know your own chart better, you will know without anyone else having to tell you where the nodes "fit into the picture."
LIN

mutableflame

Crazy! I'm 8th house Sun Sag square Pisces North node. It falls under my 11th house. I've only recently been trying to understand it. Problem is I have a stellium around the Sun so Uranus, Mercury and Saturn are also square my Nodes. No idea what it means, let alone how Chiron in Gemini (also square nodes) comes into play.. Lots of push and pull between my Saggy self and the lessons of Pisces/Virgo I guess.

Osamenor

Staff member
I just did some reading up on the subject. South node/north node journey is the piece of astrology that's really drawing me right now. I just got through a cursory read of Steven Forrest's "Yesterday's Sky," the most readable book I've found so far about this. (Of course, reading it cursorily, and not having a thorough understanding of astrology yet, I'm sure I'll have to go back and reread it later to really get it!).

According to Forrest, a planet in square to the north nodes is something that appeared to be an obstacle in one or more past lives and now has to be integrated in this life in order to make the north node journey. In the case of the sun being the squaring planet, it would make sense that ego growth is an especially crucial need for this lifetime.

I see something more looking at my own chart: I have the south nodes in the native house of my sun's sign and my sun in the native house of the north nodes' sign. So I apparently still need some growth in the area that's been my existence in past lives, but it has to be in a way that leads to the north nodes. And trying to put it all together is still making steam come out of my ears.

Kabalic Astrologer

According to Forrest, a planet in square to the north nodes is something that appeared to be an obstacle in one or more past lives and now has to be integrated in this life in order to make the north node journey. In the case of the sun being the squaring planet, it would make sense that ego growth is an especially crucial need for this lifetime..
that is exactly what i said, in other words. need to use the sun to balance between the nodes.

I don't see why one would need the explanation of past lives. the nodes are being felt in this life too. they are somewhat cose in meaning to IC and MC, but being the Moon's points they are more inner. one's childhood is especially influenced by South Node. it is harder to understand the North Node, especially if one hasn't done some spiritual growth.

Osamenor

Staff member
I don't see why one would need the explanation of past lives. the nodes are being felt in this life too.
I completely agree. I didn't believe in past lives myself until quite recently, when experience got me to believe otherwise (that's a whole other story!). South nodes can just as easily represent karmic past in the sense of ancestral past, the beliefs and experiences that every ancestor from your parents all the way back to Adam and Eve (I use those names metaphorically, although if anyone believes in a literal Adam and Eve, that works, too!), carried, often unconsciously. Either way, it's natural for those experiences to be most strongly reflected in early childhood. It's just as natural for growth to require moving away from those early roots and integrating something else.

marestar20

Interesting about the sign/house placements echoing one another. I also have this in my chart: Capricorn Sun in 6th square to Aries NN in 10th. I wonder if this is common?

hbn_235

I was wondering the same thing about the squares to the nodes....I have sun (Gemini) (4th house) square NN (Pisces) (1st house)

Venus (Gemini) (5th house) square NN
Mercury (Gemini) (5th house) square NN

Osamenor

Staff member
Interesting about the sign/house placements echoing one another. I also have this in my chart: Capricorn Sun in 6th square to Aries NN in 10th. I wonder if this is common?
For anyone with their ascendant in a cardinal sign, which is about one third of the population, this kind of sign/house placement would almost always echo if there's anything square to the nodes. That would also be true for people who have their ascendant in the last degrees of a mutable sign--that would make most of the first house occupied by a cardinal sign, and the rest of the sign/house placements would follow that pattern. That pattern could also appear if the ascendant is in the first degrees of a fixed sign, depending on where the subsequent house cusps fall. Unless the ascendant is in or near the cusp of Aries, which would put all or most of the signs in their native houses, there's going to be that kind of rotation.

I was wondering the same thing about the squares to the nodes....I have sun (Gemini) (4th house) square NN (Pisces) (1st house)

If you have a Gemini sun in square to the node along with Mercury, then you've probably got a strong communication theme in your north node journey, and that's definitely a key theme in your core personality development (Gemini sun). And if your NN is in Pisces, your SN is in Virgo, which makes Mercury your SN ruler as well. A square to your south node from its own ruler indicates having been your "own worst enemy" in the karmic past.

Your chart may have other indicators that alter the story a little, but based on this information, it sounds to me like we're looking at a past life (to use the past life model) in which your time and energy was entirely consumed by duties (Virgo) to marriage (seventh house) and children (fifth house). Venus in the fifth house could be interpreted as an extra-marital or pre-marital love affair. Gemini adds impulsiveness to the picture, which is often what fuels an affair! In keeping with the marriage and children story, maybe you were a young woman who had an affair, got pregnant, and a shotgun wedding ensued. That led to the rest of your life being consumed by your marriage and children, to the exclusion of anything else you might have wanted.

NN in the first house typically indicates a need to develop individuality more strongly. Fourth house can indicate deep self development, which is crucial to developing a stronger individual identity.

Katarzena

Interesting! I've got Gemini Sun, Mercury R and Venus R in 10th squaring NN in Pisces in 7th.

IleneK

Premium Member
I have planets squaring the nodal axis, making a t-square-like configuration, and I think it suggests that the squaring planet gets in the way of the free flow between what we bring into this life[SN] and our realizing what we are called to do in this life [NN].

So we have to solve the puzzle, figure out, what that squaring planet asks of us to come to understand, so that the energies of the nodal axis can flow more freely. Sometimes we can get good information or intuition when a transiting Sun, Moon, Mars or progressed Sun or Moon oppose that squaring planet to form a grand cross-like configuration which triggers the t-square. This then offers up information for us to work with in the way of events in our inner or outer life, or both, depending upon where the planets and nodes are located in the natal chart.

Last edited: