Chart Patterns and How You View the World

Osamenor

Staff member
I'm testing a hypothesis about people's views of the world reflecting their chart patterns. If you would like to help, please answer the following questions:

1. Is what happens to you dependent on what you do? Or is it dependent on circumstance? Edit: If you would say both, please elaborate. Do you feel your choices and actions are mostly a result of, or reaction to, what happens to you? Or do you feel that what happens to you is primarily the result of your choices and actions? If you would again say both, please give an example. The kind of examples people give, and how they word them, says something about their thought process.

2. Do you feel it's important to mark life passages and events in a way that others will see and recognize? Or do you not care about recognition, just about what the event means to you?

Examples: You're graduating from high school or university. Do you feel it's important to participate in the ceremony, or are you just as happy to receive your diploma in the mail and not walk across stage?

You're getting married. Is it important to you to have a ceremony and party with your family and friends (the ceremony can be traditional or not, whichever you prefer; the party can be as simple or as elaborate as you want)? Or would you be just as happy to have a quiet, private ceremony to make it legal and no party?

A good friend of yours dies, and while you were close with them, you didn't know their family or many of their other friends very well. Do you feel you need to be at their funeral, and will you feel something's missing if you can't go? Or is this a case of, you'll always mourn for them, you don't need the trappings?

There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. The hypothesis I'm testing is that how people answer these questions depends on the hemisphere dominance in their charts: north or south, east or west.

To test the hypothesis, once you've answered the questions, please either post your chart or say which hemispheres have a stronger planetary presence. Do you have more planets in the eastern hemisphere, between houses 10 and 3, or the western hemisphere, between houses 4 and 9? Do you have more planets above the horizon, between houses 7 and 12, or below, between houses 1 and 6? Sun and moon carry extra weight, so if they're both in the same hemisphere, they give that hemisphere some extra points.

Supposedly, people with more planets between houses 10 and 3 view their fate as in their hands, while people with houses 4 through 9 highlighted are more likely to see themselves as being at the mercy of what happens to them. People with upper hemisphere dominance tend to need recognition for life's passages--they're the ones who feel the need to participate in their graduation ceremony, to have a real wedding, or to attend a loved one's funeral--while those with lower hemisphere dominance don't care much about the trappings, just about how they themselves have the experience. But, is that true for all of us?

Last edited:

graay ghost

I don't think I've ever had any control over my life. Even if I had to decide to do something, like study abroad, it seems like they just happen. Everything feels like an accident though people looking at me "know" that this isn't the case, that I "worked hard" or something. I mean I do do things, but things happening and me doing things don't seem to have anything to do with each other...

Ceremonies are for other people. A lot of the time I don't have the fortitude to refuse to go to a ceremony for other people, I don't have the energy to argue or the will to resist free food that's generally included in the deal. But I do not find them particularly memorable.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I don't think I've ever had any control over my life. Even if I had to decide to do something, like study abroad, it seems like they just happen. Everything feels like an accident though people looking at me "know" that this isn't the case, that I "worked hard" or something. I mean I do do things, but things happening and me doing things don't seem to have anything to do with each other...
Based on that, if I hadn't seen your chart before, I would guess you have western hemisphere dominance, and indeed you do!

Ceremonies are for other people. A lot of the time I don't have the fortitude to refuse to go to a ceremony for other people, I don't have the energy to argue or the will to resist free food that's generally included in the deal. But I do not find them particularly memorable.

What about ceremonies for you? That's really what I was getting at. The friend's funeral example would have more to do with another person, but I included it because that's one of the markers I tend to feel is important, and I have upper hemisphere dominance... but the real question is, do you feel the need to mark your own transitions with something that others recognize? It could be a ceremony, or a private celebration, or a trip... or even something as simple as going out for a drink on the birthday that makes you legal drinking age (would you really want to do that for yourself, or if you did, was it just because your friends insisted?).

graay ghost

What about ceremonies for you? That's really what I was getting at. The friend's funeral example would have more to do with another person, but I included it because that's one of the markers I tend to feel is important, and I have upper hemisphere dominance... but the real question is, do you feel the need to mark your own transitions with something that others recognize? It could be a ceremony, or a private celebration, or a trip... or even something as simple as going out for a drink on the birthday that makes you legal drinking age (would you really want to do that for yourself, or if you did, was it just because your friends insisted?).

Those are also for other people. They've always been for other people. I have people around me all the time pressuring me to do things and because there's free food involved I do them.

If I had complete free will and no obligation to do anything, I'd probably wile away all my time writing in cafes and libraries no matter the season. I guess when my first story got published I did get something special with the $3 I made -- two new pens. So I could... you know. Write more with them.

But I guess that's kind of different. I actually went out of my way to do that. With things like graduations, I didn't ever feel like I had much of a choice but to graduate. Graduation was an inevitable thing that would happen with time (even though I know that for many people, it isn't), just like getting older. Birthdays aren't good for much except an excuse to get people to buy you fancy dinners. I think there's further a difference between people who celebrate something to mark an event and people who celebrate something as an excuse to celebrate. Was recently at a funeral and a bunch of family came in and it felt like they were mostly there to get out of their real lives for a few days. Then again, I don't know. I have a problem with being around lots of family for extended periods. After a few hours they start to bug me.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Well, graay, I think you just disproved part of my hypothesis, so this is interesting. Between upper and lower hemispheres, you have an equal balance of planets: sun in one, moon in the other, two planets right on the AC/DC, with one of them technically above the horizon and the other technically below, and the rest of your planets equally divided between them. With that split, I was expecting to hear a response that mixes upper and lower hemisphere thinking... but you seem to approach it like someone with complete lower hemisphere dominance.

I suppose buying new pens with your first writing earnings could count as a rite of passage thing, but a purely personal one. Still seems like below the horizon dominance to me.

Now I'm curious: is there anyone out there who has the same kind of balance between upper and lower hemispheres but eastern hemisphere dominance? Which approach would they take to the need for recognition for important life events?

conspiracy theorist

Kinda

Everything on the left hemisphere - even chiron. I do my own thing at all times. I'm very self-contained.

Noting the astrology that you do - I have 4 above the horizon, 6 below.

1. I seem to have more freedom to choose where I go in my life. There was never really anyone above me who would direct where I would go in life. My parents were (are) pretty hands-off in regard to me as they deem me fit to make my own choices. I want to make something out of my life out my own steam so to speak.

2. I'm the type who wouldn't need to be at the cutting ribbon ceremony but still would love his name on the side of the bridge. If it is something I put heart in, I'd like recognition but I don't put my heart into much. Ceremonies have there place but I don't need them

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_anonymous.9848.7110.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_anonymous.9848.7110.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 36

graay ghost

I think the problem might be that you're giving too much personal weight to outer planets...

Also I would think that when you feel like a ping-pong ball, events like the ones you describe would have little meaning anyway. A ping-pong ball doesn't celebrate every time it gets smacked, does it?

Osamenor

Staff member
Kinda

Everything on the left hemisphere - even chiron. I do my own thing at all times. I'm very self-contained.

Noting the astrology that you do - I have 4 above the horizon, 6 below.

1. I seem to have more freedom to choose where I go in my life. There was never really anyone above me who would direct where I would go in life. My parents were (are) pretty hands-off in regard to me as they deem me fit to make my own choices. I want to make something out of my life out my own steam so to speak.

2. I'm the type who wouldn't need to be at the cutting ribbon ceremony but still would love his name on the side of the bridge. If it is something I put heart in, I'd like recognition but I don't put my heart into much. Ceremonies have there place but I don't need them

Interesting. Maybe, with these two charts (admittedly a small sample), I should be testing out whether having a dominance of traditional or traditional + modern planets makes a difference. You have an almost equal split between upper and lower hemispheres if we only consider traditional planets, while graay ghost is lower hemisphere dominant if we eliminate the modern planets in his chart.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

Interesting. Maybe, with these two charts (admittedly a small sample), I should be testing out whether having a dominance of traditional or traditional + modern planets makes a difference. You have an equal split between upper and lower hemispheres if we only consider traditional planets, while graay ghost is lower hemisphere dominant if we eliminate the modern planets in his chart.

That makes sense, it would add more nuance to your study.

Osamenor

Staff member
graay ghost said:
I think the problem might be that you're giving too much personal weight to outer planets...
Certainly a hypothesis worth testing. I said the same myself before I saw your post (I think we cross posted as I was getting kicked out of the internet cafe because they were closing).

graay ghost said:
Also I would think that when you feel like a ping-pong ball, events like the ones you describe would have little meaning anyway. A ping-pong ball doesn't celebrate every time it gets smacked, does it?

Perhaps... but I think there's more to it than that. I was just thinking how I tend to see life as a mix of factors under and outside my control... but the most meaningful events in my life, and the most important decisions I've made, have come about as a result of things just coming my way. That's a western hemisphere dominance experience, far more than eastern.

I have a roughly equal balance of planets in the eastern and western hemispheres, just slightly weighted to western (6-4, if I count modern planets), but if I eliminate the modern planets, my chart skews even more to the west (the 6-4 dominance becomes 5-2). Since I have the sun in the west and moon in the east, that part gets equal weight.

Case in point: my decision to go to herbalism school. It's exactly what I needed all along, and as soon as I saw the opportunity, I jumped at it, but the opportunity itself just fell into my lap. I not only didn't go looking for it, I had no idea there was any such opportunity to look for. And now that I think about it, the one time I went overseas happened the same way... and my most meaningful jobs have been jobs that I found when I wasn't looking for them. Sometimes I found them when I was looking for work, but not that particular work, and sometimes I wasn't looking at all.

I wouldn't describe myself as feeling like a ping pong ball, but I don't have as much western hemisphere dominance as you, either.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has a very strong dominance in both the western and the upper hemispheres, and see how they put it.

graay ghost

Perhaps... but I think there's more to it than that. I was just thinking how I tend to see life as a mix of factors under and outside my control... but the most meaningful events in my life, and the most important decisions I've made, have come about as a result of things just coming my way. That's a western hemisphere dominance experience, far more than eastern.

I have a roughly equal balance of planets in the eastern and western hemispheres, just slightly weighted to western (6-4, if I count modern planets), but if I eliminate the modern planets, my chart skews even more to the west (the 6-4 dominance becomes 5-2). Since I have the sun in the west and moon in the east, that part gets equal weight.

Case in point: my decision to go to herbalism school. It's exactly what I needed all along, and as soon as I saw the opportunity, I jumped at it, but the opportunity itself just fell into my lap. I not only didn't go looking for it, I had no idea there was any such opportunity to look for. And now that I think about it, the one time I went overseas happened the same way... and my most meaningful jobs have been jobs that I found when I wasn't looking for them. Sometimes I found them when I was looking for work, but not that particular work, and sometimes I wasn't looking at all.

I wouldn't describe myself as feeling like a ping pong ball, but I don't have as much western hemisphere dominance as you, either.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has a very strong dominance in both the western and the upper hemispheres, and see how they put it.

Maybe you don't feel like you're being told to do things. I've experienced life as a series of being told to do things and then doing them. I went to school, and then I went to college, and then I got some odd jobs, and then I went to more school, and now I have a 9-5 job. None of these things give me any sense of accomplishment because I was told to do these things -- a most extreme example is my current job. I applied to it, thinking what could it hurt, but then I was called back for an interview. That morning of the interview I was crying at my mother that I shouldn't go, I'm unqualified, I'll just end up embarrassing myself, and she demanded that I go anyway, and somehow, magically, this is the job I have. Witchcraft, I swear.

At the job I'm told to fix things and make things and I fix and make those things. I get paid to do that. It works out, but I don't really feel like I've done much at all.

It's the matter between performing a service and giving a gift. I mean, if someone gives you ten bucks to get them lunch and you get it for them, sure, they may be appreciative, but I mean, it's nothing. They told you what to do and you do it. Giving a gift takes effort to know the person, to divine what they want, putting in the effort to go out of your way to get the thing and keeping it from them, and then when you give it to them there should be some element of surprise and it's really much more satisfying. And the sense of accomplishment for giving a gift is so much greater, even if it's not essential.

School, work, whatever, is long-form completing a task for someone else, really, even if that someone else in the long run is just making sure I have a place to live and food to eat like my parents did before I took that responsibility. It's all very... anhedonic. I remember getting chewed out on this forum about "not liking being told what to do" but that's it. There's no "like". Being told what to do ***** all the pleasure out of anything.

It may seem stupid to care so much about writing and art and stupid hobbies but then again it feels like the only thing I have any control over.

Osamenor

Staff member
It's the matter between performing a service and giving a gift. I mean, if someone gives you ten bucks to get them lunch and you get it for them, sure, they may be appreciative, but I mean, it's nothing. They told you what to do and you do it. Giving a gift takes effort to know the person, to divine what they want, putting in the effort to go out of your way to get the thing and keeping it from them, and then when you give it to them there should be some element of surprise and it's really much more satisfying. And the sense of accomplishment for giving a gift is so much greater, even if it's not essential.

School, work, whatever, is long-form completing a task for someone else, really, even if that someone else in the long run is just making sure I have a place to live and food to eat like my parents did before I took that responsibility. It's all very... anhedonic. I remember getting chewed out on this forum about "not liking being told what to do" but that's it. There's no "like". Being told what to do ***** all the pleasure out of anything.

It may seem stupid to care so much about writing and art and stupid hobbies but then again it feels like the only thing I have any control over.
Ah... so maybe you have a good upper/lower hemisphere balance after all. The one thing you really wanted to celebrate (that you've mentioned so far) was getting your story published and paid for, because that was an accomplishment that you made for yourself, not because anyone asked it of you.

Suppose you had not been expected to go to college, but you did it anyway. Would you then feel a stronger desire to celebrate your graduation? As it is, you experienced school and graduation as just doing the expected, but what if it had been something you had to fight for? Or something that no one much cared if you did it or not?

On looking over the traditional/modern planets, I realize that you have all of your modern planets in the western hemisphere. If we take them out of consideration, you end up with an almost equal balance of planets in the east and the west (3 in the east including sun, 4 in the west including moon). But you seem to be more western hemisphere dominant than that.

Blaze

Account Closed
Hmm.

1. I'd say both. I can do what I can with what I've got when I can. Sometimes circumstance trumps "will" however. Like that guy who wants to better his health by signing up at his nearest gym only to find it closed for a week due to renovations.

2. I'm not the type to care for any of that all that much. Only if it benefits myself in someway. Getting an ego feeding, pat-on-the-back from others is nice--but useless. Ceremonies don't mean anything unless something is to be gained.

That might sound harsh, but in my mind, using one of the examples you put, a dead friend or loved ones corpse is not my friend or loved one anymore, so going to "say goodbye" to a dead body would be useless, imo. My goodbye to them would be something more personal like doing a toast to their name or watching their favorite TV show.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_blaze.18086.28108.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_blaze.18086.28108.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 32

graay ghost

Ah... so maybe you have a good upper/lower hemisphere balance after all. The one thing you really wanted to celebrate (that you've mentioned so far) was getting your story published and paid for, because that was an accomplishment that you made for yourself, not because anyone asked it of you.

Suppose you had not been expected to go to college, but you did it anyway. Would you then feel a stronger desire to celebrate your graduation? As it is, you experienced school and graduation as just doing the expected, but what if it had been something you had to fight for? Or something that no one much cared if you did it or not?

On looking over the traditional/modern planets, I realize that you have all of your modern planets in the western hemisphere. If we take them out of consideration, you end up with an almost equal balance of planets in the east and the west (3 in the east including sun, 4 in the west including moon). But you seem to be more western hemisphere dominant than that.

I don't know if I would have gone to college if people hadn't kept telling me it's what I needed to do. I've been fighting against going to grad school ever since before I finished my undergrad. I learned a lot of things in college... but I'm not sure if I learned a whole lot in my classes. And I think one of the things I learned was that I'm not really a, uh, 'learning' type.

I'm up for whatever as long as I don't have to plan it myself. Buying pens doesn't require planning. Attending a graduation doesn't really, either. Weddings totally scare me, though.

Osamenor

Staff member
Blaze said:
Hmm.

1. I'd say both. I can do what I can with what I've got when I can. Sometimes circumstance trumps "will" however. Like that guy who wants to better his health by signing up at his nearest gym only to find it closed for a week due to renovations.
That proves the first part of my hypothesis. You and I both say both, and you also have an almost equal balance between eastern and western hemispheres, although yours leans a little to the east. Makes sense that you say it's both, but your example starts with an example of something in your control (going to the gym) changed by circumstance (gym is closed)... while my example started with something coming to me and followed with what I did with it.

Blaze said:
2. I'm not the type to care for any of that all that much. Only if it benefits myself in someway. Getting an ego feeding, pat-on-the-back from others is nice--but useless. Ceremonies don't mean anything unless something is to be gained.

That might sound harsh, but in my mind, using one of the examples you put, a dead friend or loved ones corpse is not my friend or loved one anymore, so going to "say goodbye" to a dead body would be useless, imo. My goodbye to them would be something more personal like doing a toast to their name or watching their favorite TV show.
But you would still want to say good-bye to your friend. If you did a toast to their name, would it be all by yourself, or would it be with others?

Interesting, you're the second person on here with an equal number of planets in the upper and lower hemispheres, but since you have both the sun and the moon below the horizon, you've got a slight lower hemisphere dominance.

Blaze

Account Closed
That proves the first part of my hypothesis. You and I both say both, and you also have an almost equal balance between eastern and western hemispheres, although yours leans a little to the east. Makes sense that you say it's both, but your example starts with an example of something in your control (going to the gym) changed by circumstance (gym is closed)... while my example started with something coming to me and followed with what I did with it.

Huh, I didn't notice how I worded that, good observation. Perhaps having more personal planets below the horizon puts will first and circumstance second?

But you would still want to say good-bye to your friend. If you did a toast to their name, would it be all by yourself, or would it be with others?

Interesting, you're the second person on here with an equal number of planets in the upper and lower hemispheres, but since you have both the sun and the moon below the horizon, you've got a slight lower hemisphere dominance.

It would be by myself. While others would be very saddened at the loss of their loved one, I care nothing for them (That sounds horrible, but it's the truth). My friend was my own and thus my choice on how to mourn their death or celebrate their life is up to me.

I have very few friends as it is, being that I'm normally a lonely person, so friends and loved ones that actually become close to me are akin to treasures.

Off-topic: This is a really interesting thread. I hope more people participate!

Osamenor

Staff member
Huh, I didn't notice how I worded that, good observation. Perhaps having more personal planets below the horizon puts will first and circumstance second?

I think it has more to do with how many are in the east vs west. You have 3 planets plus the moon in the west and 5 planets plus the sun in the east. So, while your eastern and western hemispheres are almost equal, there's a slight emphasis on east. I have the opposite: moon and 3 planets in the east, sun and 5 planets in the west.

I think your chart and your response proves that modern planets count for this purpose. If we took the modern planets out of your chart and only considered traditional ones, you would have nothing but the moon in your western hemisphere. If you had that heavy an eastern hemisphere dominance, you would probably have an even stronger view of life as being what you make of it, and that would have been your first answer, instead of, "both."

Last edited:

sibylline

1. Both, definitely.

2. It depends. I want a medium-large wedding with all of my family and friends there, but I didn't go to my college graduation, for example. I think it depends on how unique or personal I see the event as being. My wedding will be only my wedding but there were tons of people going to my graduation so I just thought, "Eh".

I have all planets in houses 4 to 9, except Mars/Jupiter which are in the 10th. Planets are split equally above and below the horizon in modern astro. In traditional Moon and Saturn are the only planets below the horizon.

ashriia

Interesting research!

I have most of my planets on the left side of my chart. Houses 11-3. (4 above horizon, 3 below) I have 3 outer planets on the right side of my chart all outer planets, all rx, and below the horizon. Houses 4-6.

I do things which are meaningful to me. I don't take advice from others in relation to my own life. As I know what feels right and is best for me. It's nice to get recognition for something I've accomplished but I don't do it for that reason.

I don't care about public ceremonies. They usually take place in summer and are uncomfortable anyway. And I dislike being the focus of large groups of people. Love being incognito.

I am not interested in marriage or legal involvement in my love life/relationships. But if I did marry, I'd only invite close family(no relatives) and few friends and would keep it simple, yet special in some personal way.

If a good friend dies, I go to the funeral. Out of respect and love for my friend. I've missed too many funerals due to circumstance, and it always s*cks! I also do my own rituals at home when someone I love passes. I'm sentimental that way.

StillOne

1. Is what happens to you dependent on what you do? Or is it dependent on circumstance?
IMO, it's both. I believe in karma so I do think you're faced with situations and how you act in those situations will set up what happens next. That being said, there are random events that happen to test you further (transits, progressions, etc.)

2. Do you feel it's important to mark life passages and events in a way that others will see and recognize? Or do you not care about recognition, just about what the event means to you?
I'm fine with plan B here. I like flying below the radar and don't need the recognition. It's nice to be recognized but I don't need it.

I have planets in houses 4, 5, 7, 10 and 12.