Another name for the sign of "Cancer"

Whoam1

Each individual planets or planets in a chart may overlay a theme that matches to a God or goddess. [Ancient cancer may have been associated with Hermes], there are three moon goddesses maybe research them and go under their name?

bsab

Banned
In Persian/Zoroastrian calendar which is exactly like the western Zodiac ( starting on Spring solstice with the first 6 months all being 31 days and the rest 30) etc), Cancer is a the month of TIR....All Persian/Zoroastrian astrological names are different to the modern ones that I believe are from Greek sources. TIR means ' Arrow' and in mythology, it is related to the battle of hero Arash and his arrow. Month of Tir starts at Summer Solstice and there is a huge festival that many celebrate called TIRGAN.

Ukpoohbear

Although Capricorn can be called "Mergoat", it's usually called the "Goatfish", or "Seagoat" when it's not being called just plain Capricorn.
I'm using "Mer" by itself in place of "Cancer", with the symbol of the Mermaid/Merman instead of the Crab. Although, I suppose Mer people can be just as crabby as a few other Signs I won't mention. :biggrin:
This makes both Solsticial-signs half fish; both are combos; but, like Sagittarius, Mer is upper-half human.

Ah yes that must be where I got Mergoat from.

Yes I agree the sign can be crabby as a few other signs can be too :innocent:

What about the Crab? Its certainly a pretty cool animal and described the character of Cancer well.

Although it might be good to have Cancer also associated with the starsign and not just the disease so it has a positive connotation too. So the word doesn’t become like a he-who-must-not-be-named type fear.

Last edited:

david starling

Ah yes that must be where I got Mergoat from.

Yes I agree the sign can be crabby as a few other signs can be too :innocent:

What about the Crab? Its certainly a pretty cool animal and described the character of Cancer well.

Although it might be good to have Cancer also associated with the starsign and not just the disease so it has a positive connotation too. So the word doesn’t become like a he-who-must-not-be-named type fear.

For me, "Mer", relating to the mythological Mermaid and Merman, explains the Sign better than the crab. There's an aloof, mystical quality the Crab symbol lacks. Also, most crabs spend a lot of time on dry land, and many species can't survive for long periods underwater.

Whoam1

There can be a powerful psychic quality to Mermaids, which connects to the Moon goddess Hecate.

My connection through Capricorn the mergoat goes to hecate, godess of moon/night/crossroads/and the world's water. I think Capricorn Moons would in theory have an even closer connection to her than say Capricorn [Mars/Sun/Saturn]. She [hecate] is a motherly figure too so I can see the connection to cancer through motherhood,the moon/night, and the sea [having a hard time picturing cancer with the undead however].

david starling

My connection through Capricorn the mergoat goes to hecate, godess of moon/night/crossroads/and the world's water. I think Capricorn Moons would in theory have an even closer connection to her than say Capricorn [Mars/Sun/Saturn]. She [hecate] is a motherly figure too so I can see the connection to cancer through motherhood,the moon/night, and the sea [having a hard time picturing cancer with the undead however].

Hecate fits well with the Mergoat as well. Problem is, Saturn afflicts Capricorn, and interferes with its lunar connection.

Whoam1

Hecate fits well with the Mergoat as well. Problem is, Saturn afflicts Capricorn, and interferes with its lunar connection.

I totally agree but my chart has a sun/moon/Saturn grandtrine so they get along. Not to mention Pluto in hard aspect to my moon throws it into overdrive [it acts kind of like like an angular Moon].

david starling

I can picture my dominant Sign, Pisces, as the 2 Solstitial-signs, swimming in opposite directions, lower fish Mergoat connecting to the physical, and upper fish Merman to the ethereal. With the Crab symbol, i don't have that symmetry. "Capricorn" includes the Mergoat, however "Cancer" doesn't include the Merman and Mermaid. Also, using "Mer" as the name for Cardinal-Water, emphasizes both its watery nature and its lunar rulership, since the Moon rules the tides.

Ukpoohbear

For me, "Mer", relating to the mythological Mermaid and Merman, explains the Sign better than the crab. There's an aloof, mystical quality the Crab symbol lacks. Also, most crabs spend a lot of time on dry land, and many species can't survive for long periods underwater.

Yes I like the symbol of Mermaid for Cancer. I had to think because I would associate it with Pisces before but Mermaids are known to be crabby in folklore so Cancer fits better in that regard.

My only problem with Mer was I thought it would fit better with 2 or 3 syllables like most of the others.

Whoam1

Cynthian is a good one for cancer. Also you could go by the planet(s) that rule you. [Ie moon child for some cancers].

I would perhaps be Plutos child [rather of hekate <einalia> as that's more descrptive but beside the point].

david starling

Yes I like the symbol of Mermaid for Cancer. I had to think because I would associate it with Pisces before but Mermaids are known to be crabby in folklore so Cancer fits better in that regard.

My only problem with Mer was I thought it would fit better with 2 or 3 syllables like most of the others.

Here's something I just found out--in the online game Elder Scrolls, "Mer" is being used to mean "Elven-kind"!
Relating to the sea, it's from the French language.
You're right--all the other signs have at least two syllables. But, maybe we need a one-syllable Sign. We already have them with 2, 3, 4, and 5. :biggrin:

david starling

Cynthian is a good one for cancer. Also you could go by the planet(s) that rule you. [Ie moon child for some cancers].

I would perhaps be Plutos child [rather of hekate <einalia> as that's more descrptive but beside the point].

I like to keep Signs separate from Planets. Interesting that in Greek, Mars is Ares, which rules the (Latin) sign Aries.
"Mer" is good for a Water-sign ruled by the Moon, because it indirectly relates to the Moon due to the fact the Moon influences the Waters.

Whoam1

I like to keep Signs separate from Planets. Interesting that in Greek, Mars is Ares, which rules the (Latin) sign Aries.
"Mer" is good for a Water-sign ruled by the Moon, because it indirectly relates to the Moon due to the fact the Moon influences the Waters.

However Pisces has tradtionaly been associated with the Mer, and the Capricorn. They both lie in the sea of the sky. Cancer was litteraly a giant crab that fought Hercules. I still stand at carcinus.

david starling

However Pisces has tradtionaly been associated with the Mer, and the Capricorn. They both lie in the sea of the sky. Cancer was litteraly a giant crab that fought Hercules. I still stand at carcinus.

I've been actually using Mer for over 20 years, so I'll stay with that. :biggrin:

david starling

Here's something: The Sign itself is associated with nurturing. Then there's the connection to the body--Aries/head, Taurus/neck and throat, Gemini/shoulders, arms, and hands, Mer/chest and breasts, Leo/solar plexus, etc. Nurturing begins at the mother's breasts, and censorship usually forbids showing the Mermaid topless. :lol:

Ukpoohbear

Here's something I just found out--in the online game Elder Scrolls, "Mer" is being used to mean "Elven-kind"!
Relating to the sea, it's from the French language.
You're right--all the other signs have at least two syllables. But, maybe we need a one-syllable Sign. We already have them with 2, 3, 4, and 5. :biggrin:

Ah ok you have me convinced. If we are going to call Cancer Mer then it can also be the first one to have one syllable.

Have you drawn a symbol with two mermaids? Would love to see that.