Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

SniperBomber328

What if Venus and Jupiter land in the exact degree of a Critical degree of the same sign?

My Venus is at 13* and Jupiter at 26* Libra, so are they both affected by the critical degree? If so, is it a positive effect or a negative affect? Would appreciate a(n) answer. :smile:

Noth

The posts here suggest that a planet on a critical degree will express itself with increased magnitude. . . the article also posted here (http://www.dearbrutus.com/critical_degrees.html) suggests specific interpretations for planets on critical degrees.

To those who use critical degrees to interpret a chart, how does it factor in when viewed together with aspects, etc? The article suggests positive and negative outcomes for critical degree placements; how does the astrologer determine which is likely to be expressed, in what way, etc.

If it is simply a question of magnitude, does a moon at 0 cancer express itself that much more than a moon at, say, 5 cancer?

This is an interesting discussion. . . thanks. I've posted my chart in case it's useful, as it has two critical degree placements: moon at 0 cancer and pluto at 9 scorpio. Incidentally, anybody with 0 degree cardinal placements notice anything about uranus at 0 aries recently? I can't say I factored in the fact of the location when I looked at the square to the natal moon at 0 cancer. . . although the effects more or less followed the lines prescribed by the chart, I was somewhat surprised at the level of intensity. . .

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 29

student4life

What if Venus and Jupiter land in the exact degree of a Critical degree of the same sign?

My Venus is at 13* and Jupiter at 26* Libra, so are they both affected by the critical degree? If so, is it a positive effect or a negative affect? Would appreciate a(n) answer. :smile:

Having your Venus in a critical degree:
You are optimistic but often disappointed, you can be very vulnerable emotionally and can be imposed upon or taken advantage of by others. Actually you victimize yourself with a childish impatience and refusal to allow things to run their course – such as waiting for Mr. or Ms. “Right” to come along, and pouncing on any likely prospects. You may not be looking for give-and-take in an intimate relationship so much as for security and a sense of stability. You are nurturing, spontaneous and full of adventure.

Having your Jupiter in a critical degree:
You like being looked up to and taking charge. You take great delight in sheer contrariness, and there may be a vaguely patronizing or condescending air about you – or the sense that you are humoring or indulging other people. You’re often unwilling to give anyone else any credit. When you have learned the virtues of adaptability, the steadfastness of purpose and complete sincerity which are your outstanding qualities win you the firm allegiance of all who know you.

This information above is from one of the links that I included in an earlier post. This is paraphrased and some parts directly from the article to get the full picture.

13 degrees of Libra: Food and drink
26 degrees of Libra: Detectives

Venus is in its ruler in Libra so it feels very comfortable there.

Another thing to remember is the strength of degrees 00 will be the weakest, but growing in strength culminating in the highest point at 15 degrees then waining in strength all the way back to 29.

You must also take into account what house they are in and what aspects they are making. This is just one little facet of the whole chart. It is meant to be amalgamated into the rest of the information for a comprehensive and accurate picture.

Please check out the lunar mansions and pitted degrees that the others have posted also.

Good Luck,
S4L

SniperBomber328

Having your Venus in a critical degree:
You are optimistic but often disappointed, you can be very vulnerable emotionally and can be imposed upon or taken advantage of by others. Actually you victimize yourself with a childish impatience and refusal to allow things to run their course – such as waiting for Mr. or Ms. “Right” to come along, and pouncing on any likely prospects. You may not be looking for give-and-take in an intimate relationship so much as for security and a sense of stability. You are nurturing, spontaneous and full of adventure.

Having your Jupiter in a critical degree:
You like being looked up to and taking charge. You take great delight in sheer contrariness, and there may be a vaguely patronizing or condescending air about you – or the sense that you are humoring or indulging other people. You’re often unwilling to give anyone else any credit. When you have learned the virtues of adaptability, the steadfastness of purpose and complete sincerity which are your outstanding qualities win you the firm allegiance of all who know you.

This information above is from one of the links that I included in an earlier post. This is paraphrased and some parts directly from the article to get the full picture.

13 degrees of Libra: Food and drink
26 degrees of Libra: Detectives

Venus is in its ruler in Libra so it feels very comfortable there.

Another thing to remember is the strength of degrees 00 will be the weakest, but growing in strength culminating in the highest point at 15 degrees then waining in strength all the way back to 29.

You must also take into account what house they are in and what aspects they are making. This is just one little facet of the whole chart. It is meant to be amalgamated into the rest of the information for a comprehensive and accurate picture.

Please check out the lunar mansions and pitted degrees that the others have posted also.

Good Luck,
S4L

Thanks S4L for this post, though I don't really know if those descriptions fit me well. Another thing I going to have to mix to my "ever expanding concoction of astrological terms and symobols of me" data. Just a funny term I coined, nothing actually real.

One thing I am though is spontaneous, and my Libra is in the 12th with Jupiter and Venus there, so it might be more subtle if anything. Or inner closed (imprisoned) as some like to think.

student4life

One thing I am though is spontaneous, and my Libra is in the 12th with Jupiter and Venus there, so it might be more subtle if anything. Or inner closed (imprisoned) as some like to think.

What are they aspecting? Are they retrograde? Do you have a Libra or Scorpio as your ASC?

The 12th does represent things that are hidden or institutions (i.e. prisons, hospitals, etc...) also, hidden enemies, solitude, and the unconscious.

I am not seeing your chart, but from the very little information you have provided it seems that your love life is somewhat hidden or very private. You most likely idealize love and have an almost idealized image of what you would like your mate to be. If you are a guy you probably would like a woman who is very feminine and reserved. You are probably shy also, unless something else in the chart states otherwise.
With having your Jupiter in Libra in the 12th you could possibly make money doing some sort mediation possibly in the prison system, or dealing with juvenile delinquents. Maybe being a beautician in a convent. :innocent: LOL You see where I'm going with this. I am giving you a very general brief description of how it could express itself because I don't have any other information to go off of.

DreamingTheSeas

This 11 year old girl is my god daughter. As you can see she has been born in a critical degree on her ASC. Problem??? YES! She has mendal retardation in a very large degree. She has not said any word even mom or dad, she can not use even the bathroom.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_23_kelly_hw.268917.986.jpg
    astro_2gw_23_kelly_hw.268917.986.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 40

dr. farr

Very unfortunate to hear that, and hope that she improves; yes, the ascending degree is critical, but personally I think that the Moon posited in the azimene degree (11Cancer) is a major factor: might have even influenced the entire 11th (whole sign) house, of which Moon is dispositor (and, if so, this would then also impact Mercury as well, from which the azimened Moon is seperating a conjunction) Further the Moon is "blocked" from "doing its duty" by also occupying a pitted degree of Cancer (again, the 11th degree) Not so much that the Moon "harms"-rather its just "not available" to do what is should, to make the effects/influences its "supposed to make", for this person.

Last edited:

DreamingTheSeas

Very unfortunate to hear that, and hope that she improves; yes, the ascending degree is critical, but personally I think that the Moon posited in the azimene degree (11Cancer) is a major factor: might have even influenced the entire 11th (whole sign) house, of which Moon is dispositor (and, if so, this would then also impact Mercury as well, from which the azimened Moon is seperating a conjunction) Further the Moon is "blocked" from "doing its duty" by also occupying a pitted degree of Cancer (again, the 11th degree) Not so much that the Moon "harms"-rather its just "not available" to do what is should, to make the effects/influences its "supposed to make", for this person.

dr. farr,

So the 11th degree in Cancer is also critical??

dr. farr

dr. farr,

So the 11th degree in Cancer is also critical??

No, it is not a critical degree: 11 Cancer is one of the azimenes (later called "lamed") degree and it is also a pitted degree. It "influence" is modified somewhat (lessening its disruptive qualities) because it is also one of the Bright degrees of Cancer.

DreamingTheSeas

No, it is not a critical degree: 11 Cancer is one of the azimenes (later called "lamed") degree and it is also a pitted degree. It "influence" is modified somewhat (lessening its disruptive qualities) because it is also one of the Bright degrees of Cancer.

dr. farr my daughter has also Moon in Cancer in 11th degree but alone in 3rd house (whole house). As also makes a square with a 12th house Venus ( her ASC ruler) makes me a little worry about health problems in her future.

Anyway, back to god daughter, her Uranus in 20 47 of Aqua could say is in critical degree?

dr. farr

Don't just look at one element in the chart; other factors come into play, for example in the god daughter chart it was a critical ascending degree plus Moon in azimene/pitted degree IN its house of rulership (Cancer) AND dispositing Mercury; these factor caught my attention outright; further, your daughter's pitted Moon will not influence (by square) Venus in the 12th, because pitted planets can't do much relative to making significant aspectual influences; further, your daughter's Moon is helped somewhat by being in its joy in the 3rd house.

SniperBomber328

What are they aspecting? Are they retrograde? Do you have a Libra or Scorpio as your ASC?

The 12th does represent things that are hidden or institutions (i.e. prisons, hospitals, etc...) also, hidden enemies, solitude, and the unconscious.

I am not seeing your chart, but from the very little information you have provided it seems that your love life is somewhat hidden or very private. You most likely idealize love and have an almost idealized image of what you would like your mate to be. If you are a guy you probably would like a woman who is very feminine and reserved. You are probably shy also, unless something else in the chart states otherwise.
With having your Jupiter in Libra in the 12th you could possibly make money doing some sort mediation possibly in the prison system, or dealing with juvenile delinquents. Maybe being a beautician in a convent. :innocent: LOL You see where I'm going with this. I am giving you a very general brief description of how it could express itself because I don't have any other information to go off of.

My chart:

Below in the link if it shows.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_ergh_trhtr_hw_39594_1198.gif
    astro_2gw_01_ergh_trhtr_hw_39594_1198.gif
    65.1 KB · Views: 31

student4life

SniperBomber328,

I have looked at the chart that you posted.
Starting with your Venus, it is in a very good placement with degree and sign, it is in the 12th house which will make it more subtle or hidden as you said earlier, it is square your Uranus and Neptune in the 3rd house but I think that is softened due to the earlier mentioned positive attributes that the venus is experiencing.
The Jupiter trine Saturn in the 4th house is very nice. Having Saturn in Aquarius in the 4th trine the Libra Jupiter in the 12th is beneficial with helping others and seeking balance.
This is a little off topic from the discussion on critical degrees but your chart seems to have a very strong leaning towards doing the unusual for the purpose of helping others. You are combining the energies of Libra Scorpio Capricorn Aquarius and Pisces. Unusual mystical social work :wink:

SniperBomber328

SniperBomber328,

I have looked at the chart that you posted.
Starting with your Venus, it is in a very good placement with degree and sign, it is in the 12th house which will make it more subtle or hidden as you said earlier, it is square your Uranus and Neptune in the 3rd house but I think that is softened due to the earlier mentioned positive attributes that the venus is experiencing.
The Jupiter trine Saturn in the 4th house is very nice. Having Saturn in Aquarius in the 4th trine the Libra Jupiter in the 12th is beneficial with helping others and seeking balance.
This is a little off topic from the discussion on critical degrees but your chart seems to have a very strong leaning towards doing the unusual for the purpose of helping others. You are combining the energies of Libra Scorpio Capricorn Aquarius and Pisces. Unusual mystical social work :wink:

Thanks for my chart reading, especially on Venus and the 12th House. Though I never really felt e mystical erge to help others, I do try to always help others in the sense of real life. Though with chores....meh.

serafin5

The 3 degrees mentioned is both before and after the degree; however, I myself consider this too wide, and consider about 2 degrees maximum; if you are going to consider critical degrees in delineation, then you should also consider other degree qualities such as the pitted/elevated degree and the Bright and dark degree qualities as well (these other considerations are found in older Traditionalist and Hellenistic astrology sources*)
Regarding the critical degrees, I follow Manly P. Hall in regarding them as conferring constructive ("benefic") influences as the general rule. Planets in them (in my opinion moreso than cuspal degrees) are generally enhanced and whatever the planet's constructive influences might be, are elevated, by such placement.

(*Many of our Modernist friends discount the degree qualities-including the critical degrees-either mostly or entirely, and generally consider them of minor consequence; many have similar attitudes toward the Lunar Nodes, toward the Arabic Parts, and many even toward the Part of Fortune; although as an eclectic I follow many Modernist concepts and methods, I follow the Traditionalists and Hellenists in attributing much significance to conepts like the critical degrees and other degree qualities, the Lots, and other oldtime practices and procedures)

Hi Dr Farr:

When I first saw this thread I basically said the same thing about elevated and pitted degs, bright and dark, etc. I didnt know that there was another table of critical degrees and/or school of thought on this. Can you direct me to any sites listing other critical degrees other than what I've been learning from the Trads? I'm a little embarrassed but oh well that is how I'm learning and there's no shame in my game.:lol:

Thanks for always helping this student!
Serafin5

Last edited:

dr. farr

The list of critical degrees is the same for all: basically they are connected with the Mansions of the Moon (a highly overlooked element in both Modernist and Traditionalist Western astrology by the way, but still important in Vedic and Chinese astrology to this day) Perhaps exploring the ramifications of the Lunar Mansions in their connection to the Critical Degrees, would be of interest to you...