How many retrograde planets is normal?

roz

Hi i hope you can help me out.. I was wondering, does having many planets in retrograde make a make a big difference to a natal chart? And do a lot of people have like 6 planets in retrograde and what does it mean, overall, if you do?

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hi i hope you can help me out..
I was wondering, does having many planets in retrograde make a make a big difference to a natal chart?

And do a lot of people have like 6 planets in retrograde and what does it mean, overall, if you do?
:andy:
Very rare - although everyone born that particular day would have 6 retrograde planets as well
average number of people born per day worldwide = three hundred and seventy thousand

Everything in a particular natal chart 'means something'

and

Each individual natal chart is different

and so
each individual natal chart requires individual delineation of planets and planetary aspects
with their relevance to sign and house location

so

whether

'someone has no retrograde planets'

and/or

'someone has many retrograde planets'

in either case

then
delineate their natal chart beginning with the planet that rules the particular house of interest
then the sign of the particular house of interest
then the significations of the particular house of current focus
to do otherwise
is to generalise
and although generalization is fun
it is unreliable
:smile:

number-of-retrograde-planets-in-natal-chart.jpg

'....Statistically,
at least one planet is retrograde more than 92% of time
thus making for only 8% of time when there are no retrogrades
in the sky from the Earth’s perspective.

The highest frequency in the population
are those people born with two or three planets in retrograde

The result is quite similar to normal distribution.

However, to have no retrograde planets is still more likely than to have five in retrograde.

Six or more planets in retrograde is quite rare
......' Gregory Rozek

Attached is a table designed by GREGORY ROZEK showing FREQUENCY of retrograde planets

Attachments

• RETROGRADE PLANETS OCCURENCE FREQUENCY.png
    RETROGRADE PLANETS OCCURENCE FREQUENCY.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 17

Zarathu

Account Closed
But...... having said that there is no NORMAL.....

Having 6 rx planets means that above all you will spend an enormous amount of time in retrospection in your own thinking, and by doing that you may pick up some unusual ways of perceiving the world.

And, because of that you may actually begin to suspect that you are not normal. I have 5 Rx planets, and I know I am not normal, and one of them is Mercury. Normal in this case, for me, means that my view don't match the views of the large groups of human lemmings or cattle that stampede over the cliff because everyone else is doing it.

Flapjacks

I also have 6 Rx planets. I think I've seen your chart before, Roz, but I don't remember it! How many Rx planets are personal planets (Merc, Venus, Mars?)

0.7% for 6 Rx planets... that's pretty small comparatively. What is that graph from (why does it point out 'sportsmen' in particular?)

Zarathu, I should have suspected you have Rx Mercury and a lot of Rx planets. :tongue:

I think it can show a life focused on internal work, or a lot going on in your private life that is never (or perhaps by progression) expressed outwardly. It's a good exercise to see when those planets go direct by progression. It usually coincides with major events or experiences that allow more freedom for that planet to express itself.

I'm not sure if it's wrongly generalized here, but I have Rx Mercury and I tend to go straight past surface level analysis of things and right into undertones, subtext, motivations and consequences. This tends to get me in trouble, because most others don't get that far so fast, and the Rx side of Mercury shows how I tend to handle backlash: by analyzing myself and where I must have gone wrong, and then keeping quiet about observations. But I also have square to Pluto, so that might be where that's coming from.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I also have 6 Rx planets. I think I've seen your chart before, Roz, but I don't remember it! How many Rx planets are personal planets (Merc, Venus, Mars?)

0.7% for 6 Rx planets... that's pretty small comparatively. What is that graph from (why does it point out 'sportsmen' in particular?)

Zarathu, I should have suspected you have Rx Mercury and a lot of Rx planets. :tongue:

I think it can show a life focused on internal work,
or a lot going on in your private life that is never
(or perhaps by progression)
expressed outwardly.
It's a good exercise to see when those planets go direct by progression. It usually coincides with major events or experiences that allow more freedom for that planet to express itself

Ali, Muhammad aka 'I AM THE GREATEST' :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9CeC3yrcG4

SIX RETROGRADE PLANETS

Birthname Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.
born 17 January 1942 at 18:35pm
Place Louisville, Kentucky, 38n15, 85w46
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Ali,_Muhammad
[/FONT]

I'm not sure if it's wrongly generalized here, but I have Rx Mercury and I tend to go straight past surface level analysis of things and right into undertones, subtext, motivations and consequences. This tends to get me in trouble, because most others don't get that far so fast, and the Rx side of Mercury shows how I tend to handle backlash: by analyzing myself and where I must have gone wrong, and then keeping quiet about observations. But I also have square to Pluto, so that might be where that's coming from.

Zarathu

Account Closed
This tends to get me in trouble, because most others don't get that far so fast, and the Rx side of Mercury shows how I tend to handle backlash: by analyzing myself and where I must have gone wrong, and then keeping quiet about observations. But I also have square to Pluto, so that might be where that's coming from.

Yes...unbeknownst to you, I've had you on IGNORE several times.:devil: But I always enjoy your astute comments and never fail to take you off IGNORE after about 2 weeks. :lol:

I guess after this comment, I will never do it again, or I'm likely to miss something really good, and if there is anything I hate, its missing good stuff. :innocent:

Flapjacks

Ali, Muhammad aka 'I AM THE GREATEST' :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9CeC3yrcG4

SIX RETROGRADE PLANETS

Birthname Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.
born 17 January 1942 at 18:35pm
Place Louisville, Kentucky, 38n15, 85w46
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Ali,_Muhammad
[/FONT]

Ali is an great example. He has only Venus as a personal planet retrograde, and it's opposed to ASC, and all outers are Rx.

"During my boxing career, you did not see the real Muhammad Ali. You just saw a little boxing. You saw only a part of me. After I retired from boxing my true work began. I have embarked on a journey of love."

In 1978, Venus went direct by progression. From Wikipedia:

"In February 1978, Ali faced Leon Spinks at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas. At the time, Spinks had only seven professional fights to his credit, and had recently fought a draw with journeyman Scott LeDoux. Ali sparred less than two dozen rounds in preparation for the fight, and was seriously out of shape by the opening bell. He lost the title by unanimous decision. A rematch followed shortly thereafter in New Orleans, which broke attendance records. Ali won a unanimous decision in an uninspiring fight, making him the first heavyweight champion to win the belt three times.

Following this win, on July 27, 1979, Ali announced his retirement from boxing. His retirement was short-lived, however; Ali announced his comeback to face Larry Holmes for the WBA belt in an attempt to win the heavyweight championship an unprecedented fourth time. The fight was largely motivated by Ali's need for money. Boxing writer Richie Giachetti said, "Larry didn't want to fight Ali. He knew Ali had nothing left; he knew it would be a horror."

This is where he began to have health problems that eventually caused him to retire for good.

Last edited:

roz

No, I only have 4 retrogrades myself. I was just looking at somebody else's chart and wondering if it makes a major difference to have so many Rx planets. Mine are mercury, saturn, uranus and neptune.

JUPITERASC

Ali is an great example. He has only Venus as a personal planet retrograde, and it's opposed to ASC, and all outers are Rx.

"During my boxing career, you did not see the real Muhammad Ali. You just saw a little boxing. You saw only a part of me. After I retired from boxing my true work began. I have embarked on a journey of love."
Celebrities with far fewer, if any, retrograde planets
have frequently made similar comments
i.e.
that their public self
is very different from their 'real self'

In 1978, Venus went direct by progression. From Wikipedia:

"In February 1978, Ali faced Leon Spinks at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas. At the time, Spinks had only seven professional fights to his credit, and had recently fought a draw with journeyman Scott LeDoux. Ali sparred less than two dozen rounds in preparation for the fight, and was seriously out of shape by the opening bell. He lost the title by unanimous decision. A rematch followed shortly thereafter in New Orleans, which broke attendance records. Ali won a unanimous decision in an uninspiring fight, making him the first heavyweight champion to win the belt three times.

Following this win, on July 27, 1979, Ali announced his retirement from boxing. His retirement was short-lived, however; Ali announced his comeback to face Larry Holmes for the WBA belt in an attempt to win the heavyweight championship an unprecedented fourth time. The fight was largely motivated by Ali's need for money. Boxing writer Richie Giachetti said, "Larry didn't want to fight Ali. He knew Ali had nothing left; he knew it would be a horror."

This is where he began to have health problems that eventually caused him to retire for good.
To focus on one sole planet going direct by progression
as being the sole reason to account for a particular change in life's direction
fails to more realistically view the natal chart as a complete whole
and consider all contributing factors

JUPITERASC

No, I only have 4 retrogrades myself.
I was just looking at somebody else's chart
and wondering if it makes a major difference to have so many Rx planets.
Mine are mercury, saturn, uranus and neptune.

ANGELA DAVIS - FIVE RETROGRADE PLANETS

'.......American philosophy professor and radical activist,
in 1970 one of the six women out of 142 people who have been on America's Most Wanted list :smile:
Educated at Brandeis, the Sorbonne and West Germany,
graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of California,
became an assistant Professor of Philosophy at UCLA
with the reputation as being a racist radical.
An outspoken feminist, lecturer and author of three books,
she was one of the most prominent political militants of recent decades
She worked with the Black Conference, the Black Panther Party
and the Communist Party preaching Marxis....'

'....but she couldn't be fired because of regulations against discrimination.
Finally barred from teaching in 1970,
she was arrested on charges of aiding a crime.
At the trial of the Soledad brothers in the Marin County Courthouse,
three black prisoners were accused of killing a guard in prison.
One of the prisoner's younger brothers smuggled guns into the courtroom
that were later discovered to be registered in Davis' name.
Judge Harold Haley, two of the armed convicts and the brothers were killed
and a D.A. was paralyzed in the shoot-out....'

'....Davis was arrested in New York two months later;
after 13 weeks of testimony at her trial, she was acquitted in June 1972.
Davis taught at San Francisco State for several years
and by 1991 was teaching at U.C. Santa Cruz, the History of Consciousness Dept.
She gave up her Afro hair style
but remained dedicated to social change.
She ran for Vice-President on the Communist Party ticket in 1980 and in 1984.
In early 1995 she was given the coveted Presidential Chair at UC,
aiming to expand the campus feminist and ethnic studies program.
The appointment carried a bonus of $75,000.....'

Flapjacks

i.e.
that their public self

I didn't say there aren't contributing factors. Are you saying that Venus going direct had no effect? I thought it was very telling that he chose to say that he went on "a journey of love" when he retired; that this was the thing that was lacking in his career and public image.

JUPITERASC

I didn't say there aren't contributing factors.
Great :smile:
Are you saying that Venus going direct had no effect?
I thought it was very telling that he chose to say that he went on "a journey of love" when he retired;
that this was the thing that was lacking in his career and public image.
I said

i.e.
that their public self

Flapjacks

I'm finding that Angela Davis and Muhammad Ali are the only celebrities known to have 6 Rx planets in the natal in the last 100 years from McCormick. Perhaps he's not a good example.

JUPITERASC

To be clear

have frequently made comments
such as:
that their public self
is very different from their 'real self' :smile:

and

JUPITERASC

Hi i hope you can help me out..
I was wondering, does having many planets in retrograde make a make a big difference to a natal chart?
And do a lot of people have like 6 planets in retrograde
and what does it mean, overall, if you do?
:andy:
By the way
there are many astrological alternatives
such as for example HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY

An important consideration in Hellenistic Astrology
is whether a planet is “able to conduct its business”

and Hellenistic astrologers considered that

when a planet is in the interval of first station to second station
(i.e. retrograde),
the planet is considered not fit to conduct its business
because it is described as “walking backwards”