Sade Sati - A digression of paths...!

Crystalpages

Dear all,

Starting a new thread since I think this might be somewhat different from what is usually followed, methodologically speaking.

For sade sati one typically takes it to begin when Saturn enters the sign that is in the 12th sign from natal moon and it ends when Saturn leaves the sign that is after the natal moon-sign.

For example, if moon is in scorpio (sidereal), sade-sati begins when Saturn enters tula or sidereal libra and ends when Saturn leaves dhanu or sidereal Sagittarius (or in other words when Saturn enters makar or sidereal Capricorn).

Saturn, therefore, transits through a segment of zodiac that is 90 degrees wide (3 signs).

However, in different charts moon may be in first degree of scorpio while in others in the 29th degree of scorpio!

In the first, Saturn will cross 31 degrees before transiting natal moon, but 59 degrees afterwards.

In the second, Saturn will cross 59 degrees before hitting exact-moon and 31 afterwards!

A jyotishi Katve expressed the opinion that the 90 degree zone of transit should have exact moon in the centre so that the 45 degrees before and 45 degrees after would describe the sade sati transit.

Sounds mathematically more exact but even that is an approximation once we look at it closely.

Here is my understanding and thoughts on the matter, which I have expressed earlier in my primer and other writings etc.

Navamsha is a very important chart (varga) as many have observed and if we think about the navamsha formation, we would find that when two planets are 40, 80, 120 (multiples of 40) degrees apart, they are conjoint in navamsha!

Each navamsha is 3d 20m long, and so if planet A is at the beginning of a navamsha and planet B is at the end of a navamsha, they could be in the same navamsha although they are just a bit under 43d 20m apart and do not have to be exactly 40d apart in order to show up in the same navamsha (navamsha conjunction or yugm).

So, nominally speaking, in many (most?) cases, the so called sadesati would span a few degrees less than 90 degrees that is generally utilized.

Looked another way, sade sati would begin when Saturn is in the 12th house from natal moon while being in the same navamsha as natal moon.
Sade sati would end when Saturn is transiting the 2nd sign/house from natal moon and exits the navamsha in which natal moon is placed.

During the *sade-sati* (asterisked because it is not really sade-saat which represents 7.5 or nominal years of transit of Saturn through 3 signs, 2.5y each approximately), therefore, Saturn transits the natal lunar navamsha three times, each cycle representing its meeting natal moon three times during this fascinating transit that many dread and indeed it can feel as if one is being rendered through a crusher or mill used to extract oil out of seeds such as sesame or 'til' which is believed to be associated with Lord Saturn! Shani Mahatmay is a fascinating, gripping, scary but illuminating tale about Raja (king) Harishchandra and his encounters with Lord Saturn (deva)!

Just a few thoughts that I am sharing with you all!

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan