Masculine and feminine in astrology

CapAquaPis

JUPITERASC wrote (he's onto something about my genderfluidity, LOL):

In Aries, the 8th degree is marked as female, not male.
In Aquarius, the 13th, 14th, 15th, 28th, 29th and 30th degrees are classified as male not female.
The 19th, 20th, 21st, 26th and 27th degrees are classified as female not male.
In Pisces, the 13th, 14th, 15th, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th degrees are denoted male not female.
Al Biruni makes it clear he is presenting the method
not approving of its use

I have a Venus in 7-8' Aries range, South Node in 29' Aquarius cusping Pisces, Moon in 20-21' Aquarius, Sun in 25-26' Aquarius and Mercury in 12-13' Pisces.

3 female vs 2 male or should I say 2.5 each - my biological sex being male.

david starling

In Aquarius, the 13th, 14th, 15th, 28th, 29th and 30th degrees are classified as male not female.
In Pisces, the 13th, 14th, 15th, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th degrees are denoted male not female.
not approving of its use

I have a Venus in 7-8' Aries range, South Node in 29' Aquarius cusping Pisces, Moon in 20-21' Aquarius, Sun in 25-26' Aquarius and Mercury in 12-13' Pisces.

So, not just the standard Earth and Water=female, Fire and Air=male paradigm.

Any opinion about the :uranus:Uran "goddess of the Heavens" and Muse of astrology being a gender alternative to the (tragic) :uranus:Uran "god of the Heavens"?

Again, it's the perfect reason that :uranus: is considered "ruler of astrology".

The old version of astrology-ruler, Mercury, is also considered gender fluid.

JUPITERASC

TRADITIONAL DEGREE INFLUENCES TABLE https://www.skyscript.co.uk/deginf1.html

Compiled and annotated by Deborah Houlding :smile:

The scheme is also presented in Al Biruni's Elements (v.457)

with the following variances (marked in the table by an asterick):

not approving of its use

not approving of its use

I have a Venus in 7-8' Aries range, South Node in 29' Aquarius cusping Pisces,

Moon in 20-21' Aquarius, Sun in 25-26' Aquarius and Mercury in 12-13' Pisces.
Clearly then -all credit goes to Al Biruni :smile:

traditional - check which quadrant planet is located
quadrants-zodiac-fem-and-masc-150x150.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Orthogonal-Conceptualization-of-Gender.png

CapAquaPis

My planetary placements on my natal chart:
2nd has True Node and 3rd has Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Lilith: Traditional feminine, modern undifferentiated like in agender (or Masculine).
4th has Pluto, 5th has Uranus and 6th has Neptune: Traditional Masculine, Modern Feminine.
8th has Sun and Moon, and True Node and 9th has Mercury: Traditional feminine, Modern androgynous like in bigender (or feminine).
9th has Pallas and 10th has Venus, Eris and Ceres and 12th has Juno: Traditional and Modern Masculine.
My Sun should be male (26' Aquarius) ahead of my Moon a female (20' or 6' apart).

david starling

My planetary placements on my natal chart:
2nd has True Node and 3rd has Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Lilith: Traditional feminine, modern undifferentiated like in agender (or Masculine).
4th has Pluto, 5th has Uranus and 6th has Neptune: Traditional Masculine, Modern Feminine.
8th has Sun and Moon, and True Node and 9th has Mercury: Traditional feminine, Modern androgynous like in bigender (or feminine).
9th has Pallas and 10th has Venus, Eris and Ceres and 12th has Juno: Traditional and Modern Masculine.
My Sun should be male (26' Aquarius) ahead of my Moon a female (20' or 6' apart).

Does this work for your own sense of your gender fluidity?

Also, what's your opinion on using the goddess Urania as the female counterpart of Uranus as the Domicile-ruler of Aquarius?

Good pedigree--Granddaughter of Uranus, through his daughter, the goddess of Memory (Mnemosyne) and Zeus/Jupiter. Urania was worshipped as Goddess of the Heavens ("Uran" means "of the Heavens") and Muse of Astrology.

sinhtheslumberingdragon

Planet's gender is "fixed" (excl. Mercury) but it changes expression depending on Solar Phase.
Venus, oriental, is said to be more helpful to men (Planet's that are oriental are more masculine, and express their effects earlier in life)
Planet's that are oriental in the world (quadrant) and oriental to the sun, in a masculine sign, and are masculine themselves (Sun/Saturn/Jupiter/Mercury/Mars)

Mercury expression is determined by solar phase, planet it is applying to, sign, and sect
So if Mercury was evening star (occidental to sun), in a feminine sign, conjunct/applying to venus/moon, occidental in the world, it would be considered nocturnal/feminine
Of course not all cases are as clear as the example I outlined above, so a judgement is required

david starling

Planet's gender is "fixed" (excl. Mercury) but it changes expression depending on Solar Phase.
Venus, oriental, is said to be more helpful to men (Planet's that are oriental are more masculine, and express their effects earlier in life)
Planet's that are oriental in the world (quadrant) and oriental to the sun, in a masculine sign, and are masculine themselves (Sun/Saturn/Jupiter/Mercury/Mars)

Mercury expression is determined by solar phase, planet it is applying to, sign, and sect
So if Mercury was evening star (occidental to sun), in a feminine sign, conjunct/applying to venus/moon, occidental in the world, it would be considered nocturnal/feminine
Of course not all cases are as clear as the example I outlined above, so a judgement is required

The Moon was originally considered male in ancient Sumeria, Assyria, and Babylonia. But in the Greco-Roman pantheon it's always female.

david starling

In ancient Rome, the deposed god known as Ouranos in the Greek pantheon, where "Ouran-" meant "of the Heavens", the same god was called Caelus.

However, the goddess of astrology and astronomy was ALSO "of the Heavens, with the Greek prefix Ouran-, but the feminine suffix "ia". In Latin, the "O" was dropped, so this goddess was called "Urania" in Latin.

If we use only Latin names for the planets, "Urania" works for :uranus: but "Uranus" does not, because the name of that male god in Latin was Caelus, just like Zeus in Greek is Jupiter in Latin. Both Ouranos and Ourania had names meaning "of the Heavens", in Greek, and the Romans kept the name Ourania as "Urania".

Last edited:

dr. farr

I apologize-I really do!-but over the decades my experiences with our great Art have not convinced me in the slightest degree of planets gender or planets tending to favor-or punish-one sex or the other as a matter of course; certainly I could fill a thread with Hellenistic, Arabic, renaissance & Vedic theories, rationals & explanations regarding this subject-but in the end, from experience, I cannot back any in actual practice-if your EXPERIENCES IN PRACTICE back one theory or methodology, FINE-STICK TO IT and forget me-I only am saying what my own experience has shown me.

dr. farr

The Moon was originally considered male in ancient Sumeria, Assyria, and Babylonia. But in the Greco-Roman pantheon it's always female.
And also by the earlier Egyptian with their moon god TehuitI (later becoming Thoth & ultimately Hermes/Mercury)
the ancient Hebrews considered the Sun “female”
The religio-mythical history of the various peoples & nations is fascinating and can reveal a lot, including hidden truths.
Our allocation of gender to signs & planets come from this background, and I respect that, and I respect the various theories connected with such allocations-I just can’t say from experience that I (personally) believe any one of them to be valid, or that I MYSELF have seen revealed masculinity or femininity by ANY SIGN OR PLANET as a matter of course, in my over 50 years of delineating astrological charts-who knows, perhaps I am blind to the evidence!

david starling

I'm personally substituting Ourania/Urania for Ouranos/Caelus as archetypal dispositor of Aquarius, in the Greco-Roman sense. I've renamed the planet :uranus:!
The other planets are all given Latin names--Uranus isn't a Latin name, it's only Greek. Urania is both Greek and Latin. So, the naming was partially incorrect to begin with, it should have been the actively followed Muse, instead of her deposed, out-of-commission grandfather. The prefix meaning "of the Heavens" is the same for both.

Since Urania was Muse of astrology, that explains why Mods intuitively consider her planet :uranus: as "ruler of astrology". It's not "rulership" though, it's about inspiration.

david starling

I'm pretty sure it was Ptolemy who doubled down on gender in astrology. I remember reading that his explanation for why the Sun and Moon ruled only one sign each was that the Sun is "too masculine" to rule a "feminine" sign (which he designated as being of the Earth or Water Elements), and that the Moon is "too feminine" to rule a masculine (Fire or Air) sign.

There's a simpler, more obvious, non-gender-related reason: The Sun and Moon transit Direct only. The planets transit in both Direct and Retrograde fashion.

Humanitarian

To Dylan (OP of this thread):
In your method, SMR is 4 points, VP is 3 points, IP is 2 points, and R is 1 point (R = MC, Lilith, Chiron, POF, NN, SN)
I have:
SMR = 0M, 8N, 4F (4Nf, 4Nn , 4Ff)
VP = 3M, 9N, 3F (6Nn, 3Mm, 3Fm, 3Nf)
IP = 4M, 2N, 0F (2Mm, 2Mf, 2Nn)
R = 3M, 1N, 2F (2Mm, 1Mf, 1Nn, 1Fm, 1Fn)
So, I have:
13Nn, 7Nf, 7Mm, 4Fm, 4Ff, 3Mf, 1Fn
=> 20N, 10M, 9F
=> 56%N, 26%M, 18%F (All approx.)
=> Neutral dominant

Last edited:

hopitalsrule

Aren’t the signs’ significations derived from the signs’ polarity/duality (along with their element/triplicity, modality/quadruplicity and ruling planet) in the first place?
If your views on gender don’t match with the concept of duality you can use terms like yin and yang or passive and active instead.

david starling

Aren’t the signs’ significations derived from the signs’ polarity/duality (along with their element/triplicity, modality/quadruplicity and ruling planet) in the first place?
If your views on gender don’t match with the concept of duality you can use terms like yin and yang or passive and active instead.

Active and Receptive for Yang and Yin works for me.