What do you really think happens after death?

JUPITERASC

quote-generally-speaking-the-way-of-the-warrior-is-resolute-acceptance-of-death-miyamoto-musashi-20-99-59.jpg

Witchyone

All I see is people treating each other like they are worthless.

Maybe you need a change of place or perspective. I see a lot of people saying terrible things about others online, but in real life, I mostly see people being decent to one another. It's one more reason to prefer real life to this bizarre online world we inhabit.

Dirius

This is poetic, but how can you both _know_ that you are an immortal soul and also find it a hard pill to swallow?

And yes, of course we have a fear of death and survival instinct, just as all animals do. We're just the only ones who can contemplate it far in advance.

I'm not looking for general life advice. I am grieving an important person who I will never see again in this lifetime if ever. It's not abstract and philosophical for me at this moment.

Edit: Reading over this comment, it appears harsher than intended. I'm having one of those crying days over my friend, so please excuse.

Well it depends on what the source of your pain is. Are you worried about him? or is your desire to see him and have a final moment that is causing your pain?

Perhaps your attempt at finding a reliable theory about life after death to validate your wish of the inmortality of the soul is because, in your mind, it would somehow imply there is still and will always be a connection between both of you.

If you think of life as a book, we humans would be the characters in the story, and while many of the characters die or dissapear from the pages, they still belong in our story. The connection doesn't exist because there is an attachment, but merely because they still influence our stories. Every character has a story arc. His one ended. And while he may not be here, his connection to you is already inmortal and unbreakable.

In a way you can say that our connections always make souls and people inmortal. Even after their journey has ended.

I can offer a life after death opinion, however that would constitute into going to my personal belief of a fated universe, which may not be compatible with your view.

Anyways, I am sorry for your loss. Hope you are ok.

Last edited:

Witchyone

Well it depends on what the source of your pain is. Are you worried about him? or is your desire to see him and have a final moment that is causing your pain?

Perhaps your attempt at finding a reliable theory about life after death to validate your wish of the inmortality of the soul is because, in your mind, it would somehow imply there is still and will always be a connection between both of you.

If you think of life as a book, we humans would the characters in the story, and while many of the characters die or dissapear from the pages, they still belong in our story. The connection doesn't exist because there is an attachment, but merely because they still influence our stories. Every character has a story arc. His one ended. And while he may not be here, his connection to you is already inmortal and unbreakable.

In a way you can say that our connections always make souls and people inmortal. Even after their journey has ended.

I can offer a life after death opinion, however that would constitute into going to my personal belief of a fated universe, which may not be compatible with your view.

Anyways, I am sorry for your loss. Hope you are ok.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. You're welcome to share your ideas about it. I don't know if I believe in fate. I'm annoyingly agnostic about almost everything.

You're very perceptive. I think several thoughts are plaguing me. I feel guilty and regretful because we didn't see each other often these last several years. I'm tormented by the way she died because she suffered for quite a while. I'm upset that her son doesn't have a mother anymore and now has to live his entire adulthood without her. I'm upset that she didn't get a chance to fulfill all of her dreams. Primarily, as you note, I'm having trouble accepting that I will never again see her (or any of those other people I lost).

Longing for being reunited with loved ones in the sweet hereafter was something the adults who raised me talked about often. It's how everyone I knew coped with the reality of death. I internalized the expectation as essential, but I no longer have the belief that it will happen.

JUPITERASC

2638.png
☸ :::: rebirth ::::

There is no self.

Once the residue defilements sustain
they get a chance to surface again.
Dependent origination is for all beings
those take birth.
Humans can develop a skill to break that upadana
(fuel by defilements).
Upadana paccaya bhava
Anupada paccaya nibbana
Views are micca ditthi.

Samma ditthi helps to clean the defilements
before it becomes no view
as there are no defilements to observe by the consciousness.
Consciousness is important tool in purification.

It is the platform where dependent origination is witnessed :smile:
and permanent restfulness achieved.
As long as we buy habits, we consume birth.

As habits consolidated
it acts evertime when it get a chance as rebirth.
Deathlessness is by not giving a chance to birth.
Otherwise rebirth is default option.
Every moment is the fresh moment

where our presentation or portrayal is born.
Whether it is effortless freedom due to purity
or just an easy repetition
as rebirth due to habits centered in defilement
is stock/inventory measure.
And the load (work) to be done .
Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu
2638.png
1f49e.png
��
2764.png
1f49e.png
��
2638.png

42638377_10215614605592334_5963446435616653312_n.jpg

morgthm

Well i'm sure self-centered people can simply put masks over any past lives that may have been true, or not, as well as covering their own intentions.
Travelling is a good way to get to them through feeling, and relation to people in other places, from my experience.

JUPITERASC

All living beings have positive, innate qualities :smile:
so
it's not that you have to become someone completely different
you need to bring out the natural qualities within you.
Similarly, you can practice Dharma in daily life
it's not that you have to do something completely different.
17th Karmapa

42692989_10156752983034711_2110985222077022208_n.jpg

JUPITERASC

Our life is fragile
and
it is passing,
like a lamp running out of fuel
We must
make the most of its light
while we have it :smile:
17th Karmapa

42800826_10156755114904711_5037841873356455936_n.jpg